Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
rephrased - will the expansions come out for ipad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Thanks, Mr Gort, for testing this.

So the AI is still poo poo! But apart from that the game has definitely improved a lot.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I'm currently doing a TSL Europe game as Eleanor-France and it's made the midgame fun as all hell with this great works/loyalty mini-game. There were a couple of hairy early-game wars but as soon as walls/alliances were up and ready to go, it's been nothing but expansion through art. It's great.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The one itty, bitty, tiny downside I could see about Eleanor is that the lack of a rebel stage means you can't raze any cities that loyalty flip to you. But that's it.

Also, just found out that volcanoes can make tundra tiles delicious. When they erupt they redefine the terrain type of any tile they damage, so you can totally have snow-farms (as someone besides Canda that is).

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

One thing I noticed is that the AI actually will participate in military emergencies. At least they did in the first one I encountered. Just got into a second now, so I guess I should be able to confirm this soon.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Human Crouton posted:

One thing I noticed is that the AI actually will participate in military emergencies. At least they did in the first one I encountered. Just got into a second now, so I guess I should be able to confirm this soon.

I had the same happen too--4 civs on my continent, one of them took a weak border city from another, and the 3 of us went in on an emergency to retake it. Both the AIs actually contributed.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Did the city end up returned to its original owner?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The AI does seem to be better at responding and thinking for itself. The only real issue now is the constant spamming of trade deals. It doesn't seem to take the hint.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Marmaduke! posted:

Did the city end up returned to its original owner?

I voluntarily liberated it back to him because I had no hopes of keeping it and figured I might as well get something.

I reloaded my autosave and if I hadn't sniped it the other AI would have taken and kept it.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Kind of sounds like the AI should just be unable to proposition human players for trade deals tbh

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

turboraton posted:

Just maintain your nuclear plants once every twenty turns or so with the City Project.

or figure out how to mod it out again because a nuclear meltdown is not quite the same as being hit by an atomic bomb

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yeah that poo poo with nuclear power going off like a bomb always has and will annoy me. I think the worst offender I've ever seen is Anno 2070's nuclear reactors. I swear those things worked off of the player's nerves because in addition to the random chance of "roll for explosion" you'd get semi-regular reports of "an incident has occurred" that were nothing besides a ping about you having nuclear. It really was a huge "This game is made by a studio in Germany" flag when the Tycoons end up relying on clean, efficient coal over nuclear.

At least the developers made the things worth the extra hassle. Nuclear plants produce the most production (4), also produce 3 science, and a whopping 16 power/uranium. For comparison both Coal gives production based off of the host district's production, and oil gives a flat 3 production, and both produce only 4 power/resource. Nuclear power's expensive and annoying but drat are those buildings profitable.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Mameluke posted:

Kind of sounds like the AI should just be unable to proposition human players for trade deals tbh

The poster who said that it should mimic Stellaris is correct - if the user rejects the AI it should get a flat -1000 score to performing the same action again, lasting over a period of 20 turns or so.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Luceo posted:

or figure out how to mod it out again because a nuclear meltdown is not quite the same as being hit by an atomic bomb

It's one of those collective delusion things, like uranium rods glowing green

You could argue at least that a Chernobyl-style meltdown would put fallout in adjacent tiles, but it shouldn't pillage all your buildings

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Also, Chernobyl was a weapons reactor, designed to produce weapons grade uranium, not power. Ever so slightly different setup.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Why did they change position of all of the YES and NO buttons? Now I accidentally deleted my savegame.

Trolled by Sid Meier. Again.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I swear to God I once had a R&F game where Genghis conquered like a half dozen+ cities/most of a continent in the midgame. I can't say for certain those cities had walls but this was well into the mediaeval/renaissance and it's not like the AI is shy about building the things.

Then our borders met and one of my cities ate his entire army :toot:

bean_mcbean
May 21, 2006

*** ****** ***!!
Edit: Taken

bean_mcbean fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 15, 2019

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Straight White Shark posted:

I had the same happen too--4 civs on my continent, one of them took a weak border city from another, and the 3 of us went in on an emergency to retake it. Both the AIs actually contributed.

Do you still have to make a decision whether to join or not without knowing if the other Civs will?

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

You guys should just play with AI+. AI+ don't give a poo poo about your walls and will send carpets of units to take your cities if it senses weakness.

The Quo's combined tweaks mod also makes building walls a bit harder (and is modular so you can turn off changes you don't like).

Makes the early game very tense on higher difficulties.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

John F Bennett posted:

Why did they change position of all of the YES and NO buttons? Now I accidentally deleted my savegame.

Trolled by Sid Meier. Again.

:lol:

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I just want to try the new great bath wonder but even on king it’s taken by turn 20 every time.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Away all Goats posted:

Do you still have to make a decision whether to join or not without knowing if the other Civs will?

Yeah, but they will actually join now. So it's not as bad.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Gort posted:

* The AI can eventually take a city with walls by kinda bumbling into bombarding it with a fraction of its forces, then going aggressive once the city has no walls or health.

I think the apparent stupidity may be caused by the fact that it’s you declaring the war. And at the very beginning of the game. The AI may be running other plans (like settling more cities, building up infrastructure) and doesn’t really want to fight you. You’re testing a very weird scenario (information era with a single city), I doubt the AI was build for that.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The Human Crouton posted:

Yeah, but they will actually join now. So it's not as bad.

Oh so they just never joined those before? :lol:

That explains a lot.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I genuinely don't understand how the ai is this incompetent. I mean, poo poo's hard, but not that hard. And this is the same studio that's made the X-Com reboots :psyduck:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fuligin posted:

I genuinely don't understand how the ai is this incompetent. I mean, poo poo's hard, but not that hard. And this is the same studio that's made the X-Com reboots :psyduck:

AI is really hard to do, and it gets harder the more and more kitchen-sink ideas the devs keep tossing into the game. A game like the original master of orion can have an amazing seeming AI because the core of how the economy and warfare and diplomacy work are simple enough for an AI to master but still present tons of depth for a human player. Games like Civ6 and Stellaris though constantly fail to provide AI's that even give the illusion it can handle the basics of the game's core mechanics because modern strategy games have decided to be needlessly complicated. At some level it feels like modern strategy games are design specifically to trip up AI's on fussy busy-work mechanics that a human can very quickly master to see the optimal solution but it requires a bunch of annoying clicking, while the AI absolutely fails.

Any player can understand the hex based 1-unit-per-hex combat very quickly, they can see a fortified city and quick come up with a basic plan to surround the city with artillery and battleships and blast away at the defenses then move in with fast-moving units or those musketmen you've got fortified around the city. It's not really fun or interesting as a player, it's just a bunch of fiddly unit ordering and bombarding over and over. At the same time, it's often incredibly difficult to program an AI that can so easily assess a situation like that and correctly maneuver its units into roughly optimal positions.

I'd much rather civ go back to it's roots and stop bolting on so many sub-mechanics, unique abilities, asymmetrical civs traits, and victory paths and focus on making an interesting and challenging game the AI can come close to master, or at least give the illusion it has.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ok double post, but case in point in needlessly complicated detail:
I have some spies and some empty museums. Great works heists sound fun, but how the hell do I find out who has what? The same goes for all this resource horse-trading, where can I see at a glance who has what? I want some niter, how do I find out which of these 8 civs has some niter beyond opening diplomacy and fussing through the trade screens?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

markus_cz posted:

I think the apparent stupidity may be caused by the fact that it’s you declaring the war. And at the very beginning of the game. The AI may be running other plans (like settling more cities, building up infrastructure) and doesn’t really want to fight you. You’re testing a very weird scenario (information era with a single city), I doubt the AI was build for that.

Yeah, I've tried out similar things in Civ V and the AI usually doesn't bother showing up until I've been at war with them for 120-150 turns.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I have a bunch of hydro dams supplying what I think is more than enough power for my whole empire (is there a screen that shows total production/demand for power?) but how do I scrap these coal plants? I'm just starting to get environmental alerts and I'd love to curb it asap.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I just had an emergency when Spain invaded my allied CS Lisbon where the only AI participating decided to... peace out after 2 turns?

How does that work?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Baronjutter posted:

AI is really hard to do, and it gets harder the more and more kitchen-sink ideas the devs keep tossing into the game. A game like the original master of orion can have an amazing seeming AI because the core of how the economy and warfare and diplomacy work are simple enough for an AI to master but still present tons of depth for a human player. Games like Civ6 and Stellaris though constantly fail to provide AI's that even give the illusion it can handle the basics of the game's core mechanics because modern strategy games have decided to be needlessly complicated. At some level it feels like modern strategy games are design specifically to trip up AI's on fussy busy-work mechanics that a human can very quickly master to see the optimal solution but it requires a bunch of annoying clicking, while the AI absolutely fails.

Any player can understand the hex based 1-unit-per-hex combat very quickly, they can see a fortified city and quick come up with a basic plan to surround the city with artillery and battleships and blast away at the defenses then move in with fast-moving units or those musketmen you've got fortified around the city. It's not really fun or interesting as a player, it's just a bunch of fiddly unit ordering and bombarding over and over. At the same time, it's often incredibly difficult to program an AI that can so easily assess a situation like that and correctly maneuver its units into roughly optimal positions.

I'd much rather civ go back to it's roots and stop bolting on so many sub-mechanics, unique abilities, asymmetrical civs traits, and victory paths and focus on making an interesting and challenging game the AI can come close to master, or at least give the illusion it has.
Stellaris' and Hearts of Iron IV's AIs have issues but they really aren't anyway near as borked as Civ right now.

I also think you are overstating the difficulty of designing an ai that can, in the case of 6 specifically, do things like recognize "opponent's last city, i have units in range, i should attack" or "opponent has literally no units, and one city, do not surrender to them." There are TBS games with functional tactical AI, these are not unsolvable problems

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I have a bunch of hydro dams supplying what I think is more than enough power for my whole empire (is there a screen that shows total production/demand for power?) but how do I scrap these coal plants? I'm just starting to get environmental alerts and I'd love to curb it asap.

I know you can do a project to change the type of power plant if you want to swap from coal to less polluting oil or nuclear plant. Nuclear's probably the way to go since it gives science, but you have to do a maintenance project every 20-30 turns.

I...would like to think that the amount of power you generate (not just the amount of power plants you have) affects the amount of pollution you create. But who knows with Firaxis.

dy. posted:

You guys should just play with AI+. AI+ don't give a poo poo about your walls and will send carpets of units to take your cities if it senses weakness.

The Quo's combined tweaks mod also makes building walls a bit harder (and is modular so you can turn off changes you don't like).

Makes the early game very tense on higher difficulties.

I was all excited but just checked this. AI+ is (understandably) not updated for Gathering Storm. I just want the AI to have the ability to take at least other AI's cities. Also, something to turn down the frequency they ask to trade. No I will not turn over The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka, I turned you down the last ten times, what makes you think I'll do it now after waiting five turns!?

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 16, 2019

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
Shield of Christianity
As Hungary, have Christianity as your dominant religion and defeat a unit who's Civilization's dominant religion is not Christianity

Christianity isn't a premade religion in the game. Think it means Catholic, Protestant, or Eastern Orthodox. Using IRL history it should be Catholic.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Baronjutter posted:

You can't straight up scrap the coal plants, but you can convert them to oil or nuclear later on.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Baronjutter posted:

Ok double post, but case in point in needlessly complicated detail:
I have some spies and some empty museums. Great works heists sound fun, but how the hell do I find out who has what?
When you click the spy and choose where to place him it lists all the possible cities on the left in a panel with icons for each district type. Look for the purple theater district icon.

Baronjutter posted:

The same goes for all this resource horse-trading, where can I see at a glance who has what?
Turn resource icons on on the map and scan over thier territory (that you've scouted) and see if you spot any niter.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Uziduke posted:

Shield of Christianity
As Hungary, have Christianity as your dominant religion and defeat a unit who's Civilization's dominant religion is not Christianity

Oh sure, give that to the Huns instead of the Empire grumble grumble

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Cranked the disasters up to 4 to see what would happen. 10 turn droughts are certainly a thing!

On the other hand, so are Haboobs that roll +fertility 21 times.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Tom Tucker posted:

I just want to try the new great bath wonder but even on king it’s taken by turn 20 every time.

Hell I just want to build *any* wonder. I'm at like turn 150 and some jerk AI has sniped or built every one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fleetwood Crack posted:

You can't straight up scrap the coal plants, but you can convert them to oil or nuclear later on.

That's insane, the world will be underwater by the time my people even figure out how to extract oil let alone nuclear power. The world shouldn't be flooding in 1700 because a single 5-city country built a few coal plants. Scrapping buildings needs to be a thing and sea level rise needs to be limited to fairly late in the whole climate disaster phase. I lost a bunch of my most valuable tiles to climate change at the very beginnings of the industrial revolution.

Think I'm going to shelve this until there's some balance mods and more quality of life interface stuff.