Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
"We are all going to be working for MSP"

I suspect my kids are going to be arguing about this when its their turn down the road on whatever platform they use to argue about stuff in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

See you all in 5 years when you make this exact same post again.

The business world laughs at your timelines.

:lol: if you believe this is even remotely possible. The situation you're describing - that SA will still be around in five years - is silly.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

:lol: if you believe this is even remotely possible. The situation you're describing - that SA will still be around in five years - is silly.

At this rate I look foward to buying SA from lowtax for pennies on the dollar and being drunk with impotent power.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
My wife always complains that her job as a microbiologist would be replaced by robots soon. Some days I tell her robots will replace the low hanging fruit jobs and shell be retired before they make it to her job, other days I tell her shes right and she should start planning for unemployment.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I thought we were all supposed to be mainly using the cloud by now!!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

We're already at the point where if you were starting from a blank slate a lot of small/medium businesses would run on SaaS only. Migrating all the existing stuff is certainly a huge undertaking. Where will we be in 5 years? Not to the point where we're all going to be either making the cloud or working for MSPs. But if you don't think that SaaS is already pushing IT folks in that direction, I don't think you've been paying attention.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 15, 2019

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Tab8715 posted:

What's the underlying SaaS or PaaS infrastructure? Container, VMs and Physical Machines - no?
Sure, in the same way that everyone who connects to the Internet uses BGP, but very few companies have BGP experts on staff.

The infrastructure that powers the Internet is becoming increasingly consolidated and specialized, for better or worse, and most new applications are frankly thin shims around applications from other people. Most of the hard problems are building a compelling product with a great experience, not solving fiddly poo poo like push notifications and CAN-SPAM. You can use one of the full platforms the major players like Amazon or Microsoft give you, or you can integrate Firebase, Twilio/SendGrid, S3, Datadog, Amplitude, Fastly, RDS, and AWS Lambda yourself and have a mobile app up and running in a week that will scale to multiple millions of daily users.

90% of the software world is CRUD apps. It's creating a compelling experience to filtering, sorting, and presenting information (and often, collecting money). These are the problems people are focused on and everything else is a distraction.

Sickening posted:

I get where you're coming from, but it's pretty dumb to talk about "the business world" with this No True Scotsman tone, as though there's one kind of real business. Japan is still full of executives who don't own computers and have emails printed out for them, and many large American companies are Kubernetes-first (Coca-Cola, The Home Depot) or extremely bullish on serverless (The New York Times). Within individual companies with entrenched legacy businesses and platforms, there are internal startup/intrapreneur programs, bimodal IT approaches, and pioneer/settler/town planner models pushing progress forward.

10 years ago, I would have told anyone working in tech to invest in vSphere as the future of technology. 5 years ago, it was a useful skill to have, but not a terrific idea to specialize in. Today, it's something that I would flat-out tell people not to invest a ton of time in learning unless they had to. Kubernetes is in the middle of the hype cycle. Use it to solve problems, but in five years, we're going to have the plumbing buried in the wall. Don't start a ten-year migration initiative on it today.

Kashuno posted:

I thought we were all supposed to be mainly using the cloud by now!!
We are. What small or medium business is installing their own benefits administration software nowadays?

Internet Explorer posted:

We're already at the point where if you were starting from a blank slate a lot of small/medium businesses would run on SaaS only. Migrating all the existing stuff is certainly a huge undertaking. Where will we be in 5 years? Not to the point where we're all going to be either making the cloud of working for MSPs. But if you don't think that SaaS is already pushing IT folks in that direction, I don't think you've been paying attention.
One of the weird misconceptions is that SaaS is going to be something visible to IT folks, that they have to deal with. It isn't. It enables business units to not have to deal with IT in order to experiment. That's the whole point. It's not "I'm going to be running my apps in the cloud", it's "HR is going to be doing their jobs without me".

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 15, 2019

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

One of the weird misconceptions is that SaaS is going to be something visible to IT folks, that they have to deal with. It isn't. It enables business units to not have to deal with IT in order to experiment. That's the whole point. It's not "I'm going to be running my apps in the cloud", it's "HR is going to be doing their jobs without me".

I think that's true to some degree, but there's still someone who is going to have to deal with the logic of it all. Right now I don't see HR configuring SSO for their web app. There's not a lot of people who are going to properly understand how to do things like security groups or templates. There's not a lot of people who look at processes from the standpoint of automating them. I still see a role for IT folks in that regard.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Vulture Culture posted:

Sure, in the same way that everyone who connects to the Internet uses BGP, but very few companies have BGP experts on staff.

Ah hah.

Vulture Culture posted:

10 years ago, I would have told anyone working in tech to invest in vSphere as the future of technology. 5 years ago, it was a useful skill to have, but not a terrific idea to specialize in. Today, it's something that I would flat-out tell people not to invest a ton of time in learning unless they had to. Kubernetes is in the middle of the hype cycle. Use it to solve problems, but in five years, we're going to have the plumbing buried in the wall. Don't start a ten-year migration initiative on it today.

What would you tell people to invest in now? One the biggest things I hate is all the tech schools telling folks to get good with AD, Exchange, VMware, etc. that might find a you a job today but the future looks bleak.

Vulture Culture posted:

I am not following, how would IT folks not involved with a SaaS Application?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tab8715 posted:

What would you tell people to invest in now? One the biggest things I hate is all the tech schools telling folks to get good with AD, Exchange, VMware, etc. that might find a you a job today but the future looks bleak.

It might be my own blinders here but I feel like knowing AD and Exchange by way of O365 and both by way of Powershell will continue to be a useful skill for at least the medium-term.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Tab8715 posted:

I am not following, how would IT folks not involved with a SaaS Application?

I can speak from personal experience that it is very easy conceivable for a department to enter into discussions with and implement Salesforce without ever consulting their IT department.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

I can speak from personal experience that it is very easy for a department to enter into discussions with and implement Salesforce without ever consulting their IT department.

Oh man - there's a terrible story behind that! What on Earth happened?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Old Grasshopper posted:

Actually it's perfect because then they just make the company hire a Sales Ops person to handle it and I never have to.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Old Grasshopper posted:

Honestly there isn't much of one. I left a few months after they started using it and as far as I could tell things were working ok for them. We're talking a department of 10-15 people just using it for very basic CRM stuff.

I did get called to assist with troubleshooting issues (we did get a "hey this happened" sort of email a couple of weeks after their go-live so I wasn't completely flabbergasted) but I wasn't able to do much since things weren't documented, etc. From what I could tell Salesforce support got them working anyway.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

It might be my own blinders here but I feel like knowing AD and Exchange by way of O365 and both by way of Powershell will continue to be a useful skill for at least the medium-term.

Of course, I mean it is what we are using now today. And if you are already a typical traditional system admin - I am with hybrid/cloud chops - keep on trucking. I am looking at the future, I need a job for at least another 25 years before I'll be able to retire.

I just find it incredibly irresponsible to be teaching 19 years olds to go into "Go into , AD, Exchange, etc. for a long life career!".

I can speak from personal experience that it is very easy conceivable for a department to enter into discussions with and implement Salesforce without ever consulting their IT department.

Is that even a good idea? And once they get it setup they'll want it to integrate it with other things too.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Tab8715 posted:

Is that even a good idea? And once they get it setup they'll want it to integrate it with other things too.

Well, no. They should've involved IT at least in the capacity of SME's regarding the technical aspects of business processes, but even in that you're still reducing IT's role in implementing a potentially critical part of the workflows to an advisory capacity.

But it still lends itself to what VC was saying, that companies have the ability to experiment and even implement SaaS without IT.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
That kind of poo poo is easily squashed by simply having a policy. Our policy is a simple one; SaaS must be integrated with our identity management platform for security of company data. Then that funnels them into our 'new service' process.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Ranter posted:

That kind of poo poo is easily squashed by simply having a policy. Our policy is a simple one; SaaS must be integrated with our identity management platform for security of company data. Then that funnels them into our 'new service' process.

Suffice it to say that your company is undoubtedly better run than my previous employer.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Well, no. They should've involved IT at least in the capacity of SME's regarding the technical aspects of business processes, but even in that you're still reducing IT's role in implementing a potentially critical part of the workflows to an advisory capacity.

This is about 60% of my day to day work.

Ranter posted:

We do this too and we've actually been able to shoot down products in the past because they did not support it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
^ same. We now have a questionnaire that the SaaS provider must complete, asking all the technical and governance questions we care about. Not only is it good for learning about the product and the technical stuff, but you learn a lot about a company/their reps by how well or how poorly they treat the questionnaire.

No SAML support & no 2FA support is an instant rejection (if they support SAML then we get 2FA out of the gate because our SAML IdP has 2FA).

Not being able to automate SaaS account disable when employee is terminated is also an instant rejection. SFTP/CSV data feed or API account management are therefor required.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

The Fool posted:

This is about 60% of my day to day work.

Right, I didn't mean to act like it was a bad thing (in case you took it that way). Just that it's no longer necessarily the case that we'll be principally involved in implementing business applications and standing up the infrastructure etc to support them.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Right, I didn't mean to act like it was a bad thing (in case you took it that way). Just that it's no longer necessarily the case that we'll be principally involved in implementing business applications and standing up the infrastructure etc to support them.

Not at all, I was just emphasizing your point.

I maintain some on-premise infrastructure, but it is just Active Directory and ADFS. Literally, only identity management. Everything else we use is SaaS, and as a result a significant amount of my time is spent in an advisory capacity so that our business units can make informed decisions.

The rest of my time is spent building and maintaining automation and integrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Am I the only one that has a decade of Enterprise Software support experience that quit drinking last year?

On call work is terrible and I'll never do it again. Hell is being on call, dealing with Oracle indexing at 3am and the call waiting on your Blackberry goes off and its another customer with a PROD down issue.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Internet Explorer posted:

We're already at the point where if you were starting from a blank slate a lot of small/medium businesses would run on SaaS only. Migrating all the existing stuff is certainly a huge undertaking. Where will we be in 5 years? Not to the point where we're all going to be either making the cloud or working for MSPs. But if you don't think that SaaS is already pushing IT folks in that direction, I don't think you've been paying attention.

Nobody greenfields non-saas things anymore.
You're literally wrong if you 'install' FileMaker instead of buying saas licenses. Same with PeopleSoft, Moodle or any other application. There was never an IT guy involved at all. Anybody selling Enterprise versions with OAUTH or SAML or whatever are also going to make it really easy to integrate with google apps or 0365 for you.

Pretty much anybody offering a saas and older on-prem version has a really good incentive to make the transition easy too.

Cloud is coming for you in the sense of SaaS, not that you're installing PeopleSoft.exe on VMs in Azure instead of servers in your closet.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 15, 2019

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is that really an IT Job at this point? Like... If that's where things are going, what kind of classes would one take in tech school?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Senior guy putting in notice today. The first domino to fall in what is gonna be a mass exodus. Cool. I really need to start my job search

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Sickening posted:

*laughs in higher-ed*

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Methanar posted:

Vms can be cattle too you guys. People have been doing immutable packer builds and dumping it into an autoscaler group on aws with some cpu consumption trigger for 10 years.

My acquired company into our new company just won this war. We’ve been doing immutable AMIs with packer/ansible for years. We won so hard we’re going from an on-prem company with a cloud solution to a cloud company with on-prem legacy in official wording. The k8s/container people on the other side are still not sure how they aren’t coming out on top. With a well architected cloud-only solution containers just add a layer of unneeded complexity.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Can I just say it's bullshit that we don't all call it kuberneeeeeeee?

Edit: I screwed up my own dumb joke.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 16, 2019

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I like PaaS stuff the most

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

How do y'all feel about applying Agile Software Development to traditional system administration - Active Directory, Exchange, SCCM/SCOM, ADFS, Virt. etc.

We are trying to do it and it's exactly what I'd think of purgatory.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I like PaaS stuff the most

but I need to learn to actually code :smith:

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Virigoth posted:

My acquired company into our new company just won this war. We’ve been doing immutable AMIs with packer/ansible for years. We won so hard we’re going from an on-prem company with a cloud solution to a cloud company with on-prem legacy in official wording. The k8s/container people on the other side are still not sure how they aren’t coming out on top. With a well architected cloud-only solution containers just add a layer of unneeded complexity.

I'm going to spin this as good process should always win, and that the underlying technology should enable this process. If a new technology comes along that doesn't enable a better processs for a company, then it's not worth considering. The process should in turn enable company goals, which should enable company growth, etc, etc. Admittedly, 'good process' can be a very nebulous term, but that's a problem with how company management operates, not anything to do with a technology (and something that does not have a technology solution).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

How do y'all feel about applying Agile Software Development to traditional system administration - Active Directory, Exchange, SCCM/SCOM, ADFS, Virt. etc.

We're trying too, given the success of our DevOps group. It feels impossible to me too :(

Also devsecops rules, I love my job

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Tab8715 posted:

What does this even mean

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

What does this even mean

We have pie planning where we decide what we want to do for the next few months. Then we break all of the items down into small things called PBIs, vote as a team how long each one should take using the Fibonacci sequence and usually getting rid of a third of all PBIs because there isn’t enough time. Finally, we vote on each PBI and give it a priority or business value.

After that each PBI defines with acceptance criteria and they are then broken down into tasks. These must be no longer than 6 hours or needs to be spilt.

All of our work must be automated and the code is the documentation.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

the code is the documentation.

Nope

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

One of the main principles of agile software development is "working code over documentation". The days of writing endless Word docs and throwing them into Sharepoint are over.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

One of the main principles of agile software development is "working code over documentation". The days of writing endless Word docs and throwing them into Sharepoint are over.

I was trying to make a point about "self documenting code" being a fallacy. I've seen too many people think that code spoke for itself and then flounder 6 months later looking at their own work.

Your code should be documented through comments and docstrings. The code on its own is not sufficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Fool posted:

I was trying to make a point about "self documenting code" being a fallacy. I've seen too many people think that code spoke for itself and then flounder 6 months later looking at their own work.

Your code should be documented through comments and docstrings. The code on its own is not sufficient.

I didn't get all that from "nope", okay then.