Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Ew Denny's?

I fully support gimmick weddings as a Vegas goon, but we've supremely stepped up our breakfast foods game to much to endorse you wasting time or money on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Doc Hawkins posted:

:laffo:

Comrade Schultz deserves a medal for his heroic deep-cover efforts to drive the uninformed away "centrism."

The best part of this is not a single Dem has fallen for this that I know of. Even the most centrist idiot Dems want Schultz to gently caress off and die in a vat of burnt coffee.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Viva Miriya posted:

I'm gonna do the train just to experience it and take the scenic route for a change vs flying. Lol if you are too good to fly coach lmao.

Take one of the good scenic trains though, there's two that run out of Chicago (one to SF cutting through CO and the other to Seattle, going through Glacier NP)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I spent almost a decade living in Europe so I get frustrated that I can't just take a train between cities, especially since I'm just old enough to remember how much less pre-9/11 air travel sucked.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I'm 6'3" and it's loving agony being in coach, or god loving help me one of the lovely little puddle jumpers. Feels like I'm stuffed into the goddamn overhead bin.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I would love to take a train rather than flying, but just as an example, to travel from the east coast to visit my parents in the midwest, a train:

a) is roughly the same price
2) takes ~20 hours compared to about 4.5, counting security (hooray for TSA pre-check)
iii) departs or arrives at awesome times like 3AM, whereas a plane can be obtained during normal person hours

It was even worse when I lived out west; I really wanted to take a train across the country at least once, but in the end I could never justify the 2+ days I'd have to spend on the rails to still show up at 3 in the morning.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Yeah, US trains mostly suck, sadly.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

6'5" so gently caress flying forever and ever

also gently caress buying pants

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Crakkerjakk posted:

Yeah, US trains mostly suck, sadly.

There's no reason why there shouldn't be a high speed network centered around Chicago though, it's been studied (by France's high speed rail operator) and it has a similar population distribution to much of Europe in terms of city sizes and distances between them. The East Coast already has an extensive train network that just needs modernization for the most part.

California and the PAC NW should have their own networks as well.

e:

Think of Chicago as being Paris in this case in terms of rail.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 16, 2019

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
High speed rail from Carbondale to Chicago would be great

Especially if it meant divorcing Amtrak from what operates by Carbondale as a freight track with some passenger use and giving it a dedicated passenger track

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Crakkerjakk posted:

I'm only 5'9", but yes, European trains really are WAY more comfortable than all but business class flying. There's way less noise, you can get up and walk around comfortably, the seats are bigger, the train rocks gently while it's moving, you can see pretty landscapes sliding by. Not to mention they're usually not as full as a plane. And of course not having to deal with security lines.

Just go to the food cart and get wine/beer/whatever and enjoy the gently caress out of the train. Oh, and you 95% of the time end up in the downtown area near all the cool poo poo in the city and keep up the partying.

Trains kick rear end the otherside of the Atlantic.

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

6’5+ crew checking in.

I am finding more retailers with tall or long variants of their clothing just as much as I’m finding domestic airline seats are shrinking. Now you can find Big OR tall not just big AND tall.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
Travel snob here. If I don't do the maintenance on it I don't want to travel in it. That being said I'll gladly drive from Florida to Alaska in a few days solo if the vehicle is interesting enough.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Viva Miriya posted:

I think its airport security that they hate tbqh.

Airport security really isn't that bad in the US anymore, even without TSA Pre. Now, the EU and UK? loving awful.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bolow posted:

I'm 6'3" and it's loving agony being in coach, or god loving help me one of the lovely little puddle jumpers. Feels like I'm stuffed into the goddamn overhead bin.

My worst flight ever was an Embraer from DC to Jacksonville. I'm only 6'1" but that flight was two hours of pure cramped misery.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

LATAM A320 from Sao Paulo to Salvador, Brazil. I'm 6'5" and the distance between the seats was about 2 inches less than the length of my thighs.

gently caress the A320 in general.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I'm 6'4" and I've had good luck flying Southwest. Even had a stewardess bump someone in the emergency row for me a few times. Not sure how my first trans-Atlantic flight will be.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

LongDarkNight posted:

I'm 6'4" and I've had good luck flying Southwest. Even had a stewardess bump someone in the emergency row for me a few times. Not sure how my first trans-Atlantic flight will be.

Don't fly British airways.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

Ew Denny's?

I fully support gimmick weddings as a Vegas goon, but we've supremely stepped up our breakfast foods game to much to endorse you wasting time or money on it.

But the ghettoness is the fun.
We were going to do Taco Bell, but it was way, way too expensive.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Waffle House, man.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I got to ride in the top deck of a 747 once on a United flight from Heathrow to the US fifteen years ago. That was an awesome flight.

RIP 747 passenger flights.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I got to ride in the top deck of a 747 once on a United flight from Heathrow to the US fifteen years ago. That was an awesome flight.

RIP 747 passenger flights.

I flew on the upper deck of a delta 747 a few years ago. While delta had updated the seats and such recently you could see how tired those 747s were, they looked more worn than the DC-9s before they were retired.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I fly internationally for work quite a bit, generally to sub-Saharan Africa. My agency’s travel policy puts me in business class for long haul transatlantic flights, which is obviously great, but the rest of my itinerary usually has me on African carriers. For a lot of these countries, having a national carrier is something of a bit of pride, so they actually try to make you feel like you’re being treated like a real human being. It’s way better than most domestic economy travel in the US where they soak you for every dollar for a lovely experience.

That said, airport screening in West Africa is hilariously bad. I had a pair of 2”, soft tipped scissors that I use for trimming my beard confiscated out of my bag while they completely missed the much larger trauma shears in my FAK.

I too wish rail travel in the US was more widespread. It’s comfortable and pleasant. Some day, I’d love to spring for a sleeper car and travel cross country via Amtrak.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Train travel beats the poo poo out of commuter air travel so hard it isn't even funny. I legitimately get misty-eyed that I can't reasonably do a San Diego-Sacramento train trip instead of taking a plane.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The only airline I've liked was Qantas because they gave me free beer.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

How can I put this....

gently caress you.

He's right though.

By the time I fight my way to the airport, deal with TSA and their bullshit, fly to the nearest airport to my family, fight with THAT loving airport, rent a car, and make the drive to the house...I could've spend about 30 minutes more and $100 less to just drive myself.

Edit: I used to drive 16 hours (over two days) to avoid commercial flight.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 16, 2019

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

ded posted:

The only airline I've liked was Qantas because they gave me free beer.

Qantas owns

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

psydude posted:

LATAM A320 from Sao Paulo to Salvador, Brazil. I'm 6'5" and the distance between the seats was about 2 inches less than the length of my thighs.

gently caress the A320 in general.

Yeah - domestic routes in Brazil are for people who are 5'3". Sorry dude you're not reclining because my knees are in your seat.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
The key to making long flights easy no matter what your height is 2mg of xanax.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
on my way back from Korea I took a whole bar of xanax from the random chick sitting next to me and had some free rum and blacked out for like 2 days

i ended up getting married in Vegas but not to the xanax girl

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

mods changed my name posted:

on my way back from Korea I took a whole bar of xanax from the random chick sitting next to me and had some free rum and blacked out for like 2 days

The name of the man?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Please add this to every future "ask us about joining the military" thread

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
and i'll never do benzos again

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Waffle House, man.

Do they have a wedding chapel there? Because if so, gently caress motherfucking yeah.

I took a train from Lancaster, PA to Boston. It was a pretty chill trip, easy going.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Could've been worse, you could've woken up in jail or the hospital, missing organs.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

this might be one of the best quotes I've ever seen.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Bored As gently caress posted:

Current Event: watch Letterkenny on Hulu. It's funny as gently caress.

If you dont, you're a loving degen.

Can confirm.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Can confirm.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Brute Squad posted:

Can confirm.

Can confirm.

Pitter patter, let's get at 'er.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Godholio posted:

He's right though.

By the time I fight my way to the airport, deal with TSA and their bullshit, fly to the nearest airport to my family, fight with THAT loving airport, rent a car, and make the drive to the house...I could've spend about 30 minutes more and $100 less to just drive myself.

Edit: I used to drive 16 hours (over two days) to avoid commercial flight.

What do you suppose my options are for avoiding long haul flights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

What do you suppose my options are for avoiding long haul flights?

An refreshing excursion on the ol' yacht, obviously. Good for the constitution.