Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
He just has a very easy and extensive toolkit

Crushing counters, undodgeables, bashes, all block, bulwark counter, unblockables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Zzulu posted:

He just has a very easy and extensive toolkit

Crushing counters, undodgeables, bashes, all block, bulwark counter, unblockables

So I guess what you’re saying is “yes”?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Captain Beans posted:

God yes. A lobby like duel mode would be great. That’s what their ‘ranked tournament beta’ should have been. If you finish your matches you get to spectate others, talk poo poo, bet on out comes. Next level could be were you can bid points to handicap yourself or buff your opponent kind of like the arcade mode.

I actually like the basically dead mode of 4v4 elimination because it’s as close as we get to this right now.

Those are great ideas. Ubisoft hire us plz.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Comrayn posted:

So I guess what you’re saying is “yes”?

Yes and he needs some adjustments. But I like that he has an answer for everything... I think every hero should have that so you can actually react to stuff appropriately

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the new characters are in general much more versatile and more fun the old ones. the chinese characters and black prior play like theyre from a different game entirely to the guys at launch

a few of the old characters cant do a lot but have one move that is stupendeously useful (warden, conqueror, highlander) which makes them good

some of the release characters got buffed with big additions to their movesets that made them comparably versatile (eg berserker and shugoki)

some guys just cant compete because theyre still acting like theyre in an old game (lawbringer and centurion)

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

So I’m maining warden and mostly playing breach. I’ve mostly been hanging out by the ram, killing pikemen and boosting troops. This is good right?

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

BBQ Dave posted:

So I’m maining warden and mostly playing breach. I’ve mostly been hanging out by the ram, killing pikemen and boosting troops. This is good right?

Yes you are being more useful than 90% of players regardless of how good they are.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Comrayn posted:

Yes you are being more useful than 90% of players regardless of how good they are.

Cool cool cool. Nobody else was doing it so I thought I’d ask.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Zaphod42 posted:

Those are great ideas. Ubisoft hire us plz.

Have you seen For Honor's game design? You'll never get hired at Ubisoft with good ideas.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spNzje_zuuk

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BBQ Dave posted:

Cool cool cool. Nobody else was doing it so I thought I’d ask.

People mostly just duel even in dominion or breach because its more fun to kill players or at least AI heroes than to punch mooks. And the breach mooks actually punch back!

Also most gamers seem to be allergic to playing the objective.

Its so nice when you get in a dominion game with people who actually know that standing on the point makes you earn 2x as much.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

This is art

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

BBQ Dave posted:

That's good, but you also shouldn't neglect the archer points. Having control of those tends to kill pikemen really quick, freeing you up to get the banner and help your teammates elsewhere.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I just downloaded this to play with my son. Any tips for a bare loving noob? The matchmaking can never find other really low level guys to fight, so I am stuck with fighting guys who are level 15+ it seems. I am lucky if I get a hit in. I have been using Peace Keeper because I like kidney pokes.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Dominion is weird for me... In training mode I can parry any lights really easily against a bot. But in Dominion all the light attacks become nearly unreactable because they are so fast. It's a huge difference and it's very frustrating

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

The Dregs posted:

I just downloaded this to play with my son. Any tips for a bare loving noob? The matchmaking can never find other really low level guys to fight, so I am stuck with fighting guys who are level 15+ it seems. I am lucky if I get a hit in. I have been using Peace Keeper because I like kidney pokes.

Watch guides on youtube. You'll have to sort it by season though since a lot of heroes have gotten reworks since launch

But generally just fight dudes (or level 3 bots) a lot and try to improve on blocking and parrying and dodging... Mastering the defense is what makes players great and once you have that down the offense will come naturally

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

well there's no latency against bots

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Can confirm, practicing combos on bots is extremely helpful. As for defense, you're better off doing 1v1 custom games with your son to work on it than trying to block bots.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Well, I switched to Warden and I am doing a lot better. I think the Peacekeeper may be a little advanced for me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Dregs posted:

Level is irrelevant. Skill is all that matters. But most people are going to have way more skill than you.

Go through all of the training for your chosen hero, make sure you can do all of those combo strings in your sleep, backwards forwards and upside down. If you have to think about them, you won't be able to do them when under pressure.

If you can't do all of peacekeeper's combo strings, consider trying another hero that maybe you can more comfortably use all their abilities.

Then do solo duels vs AIs, and slowly increase the difficulty. Try to get to where level 2 AIs are pretty easy. 3s are kinda cheaters but they're good for pushing yourself. When you can easily trounce level 2 AIs, then you're good to go play player vs player and just learn from there the hard way.

Fighting games inherently mean, even with good matchmaking, you're going to lose ~50% of your matches. So prepare yourself mentally for that, expect some failure and lean into it and learn from how you lose.

The Dregs posted:

Well, I switched to Warden and I am doing a lot better. I think the Peacekeeper may be a little advanced for me.

Yeah, Warden has a very limited moveset which is good for forcing you to really think about basics.

Have you gone through the Warden's combo training? There's multiple pages. The first few just make you do each of his moves, but the last couple pages will make you do proper cancel combos. It'll help show you the kinds of things you really need to be doing to play against other players, like baiting parries so you can parry them back and punish.

Basics:
Red are heavy attacks, do more damage but slower and can be parried. Can often also be cancelled to faint an opponent and fake them out.
Orange are unblockable attacks, you need to dodge these or parry them, if you try to block you'll still eat a ton of damage.
Blue are un-interruptable attacks, these can eat a hit and still keep swinging to do more damage back to you. Block or dodge them.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 15, 2019

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Peacekeeper is tough. If I had to pick one really forgiving character to start out with it would probably be warlord.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Shear Modulus posted:

Peacekeeper is tough. If I had to pick one really forgiving character to start out with it would probably be warlord.

Yeah, I got the game for 6 bucks and Warlord didn't come with it. I just got the basic two handed weapon dude from each faction. I do want to try him though.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

The Dregs posted:

Yeah, I got the game for 6 bucks and Warlord didn't come with it. I just got the basic two handed weapon dude from each faction. I do want to try him though.

Personally I found Kensai the easiest to learn the game with when I started, but I don't gel with the playstyle of any of the Knights at all.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Black Prior is the easiest one to start with. Or Shugoki

All their combos just flow naturally

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm so bad at this game it hurts my feelings. Every match is so loving frustrating. About to just give it up like the rest of the world.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Firstborn posted:

I'm so bad at this game it hurts my feelings. Every match is so loving frustrating. About to just give it up like the rest of the world.

Same. What platform, we could be miserable together

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

it's not just you. this game definitely seems to have an absurdly steep learning curve

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Firstborn posted:

I tried to switch to controller because I keep loving up my guard direction with the mouse. I am beyond bad now, whereas before I was just really really bad. It made me real pissed and I think I might give up and try to get better with the mouse again.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i play with an xbox controller but i often feel like mouse+kb is the better scheme. zone attacks (light attack+heavy attack) seem much easier on a mouse, and not having to use the same finger for both guard position and guard break/dodge seems like it would be a big advantage

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Firstborn posted:

It's entirely natural. All my friends went through the same thing and I eventually found a reason to uninstall too. Good luck.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Is there any kind of primer on how to reliably perform deflects? I feel like I can never get them to work when I want them to, I either just dodge the attack without any deflect happening or I eat a hit.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Shear Modulus posted:

it's not just you. this game definitely seems to have an absurdly steep learning curve

Yeah, I bounced hard off this game a couple years ago, but coming back to it and putting in some time on the training session and doing a lot of botmatches, I'm finally starting to get the pace of things.

Finally got my first rank of reputation, and am really enjoying each of the modes I've played. I still don't understand the war map, but so it goes.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

Is there any kind of primer on how to reliably perform deflects? I feel like I can never get them to work when I want them to, I either just dodge the attack without any deflect happening or I eat a hit.
As always, Freeze has a great video about this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIkhmzURSZE

But the gist of it is that a dodge's i-frames take precedence over the deflect, which makes the window for a successful side-deflect incredibly tight. Ironically this also means that undodgeable attacks are way easier to deflect.

So basically only deflect top attacks or undodgeables and you'll have a way better time.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Fix posted:

Yeah, I bounced hard off this game a couple years ago, but coming back to it and putting in some time on the training session and doing a lot of botmatches, I'm finally starting to get the pace of things.

Finally got my first rank of reputation, and am really enjoying each of the modes I've played. I still don't understand the war map, but so it goes.

When you log in you'll see 2 map updates. The first is the result of the last round you participated in. The second is the current state of the map.

Territories controlled by each faction are marked by that faction's color. Territories that your faction is attacking or defending will have a number value representing the balance of troops. Positive if you are winning and negative if you are losing.

You can place a war banner on a territory to deploy all your troops to that territory after you earn them, manually place them after each match, or do nothing and they will be evenly distributed following each match.

E: add me if you want to play with someone worse than you, PSN: mr_dread

titties fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 16, 2019

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Exodee posted:

As always, Freeze has a great video about this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIkhmzURSZE

But the gist of it is that a dodge's i-frames take precedence over the deflect, which makes the window for a successful side-deflect incredibly tight. Ironically this also means that undodgeable attacks are way easier to deflect.

So basically only deflect top attacks or undodgeables and you'll have a way better time.

Alright, good to know, 'cause I wanna try to make use of Shinobi's bleed deflect more but I couldn't even begin learning that poo poo in just team v. bots modes earlier, just kept eating hits.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
How do dodges work at the basic level, at least for a PK? My son told me you dodge awa from the attack, and I thought you were supposed to dodge toward it. In practice, it just seems that sometimes I dodge and sometimes I don't and it's completely random.

Do I have to adjust my guard before I dodge, or is it all WASD?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

The Dregs posted:

How do dodges work at the basic level, at least for a PK? My son told me you dodge awa from the attack, and I thought you were supposed to dodge toward it. In practice, it just seems that sometimes I dodge and sometimes I don't and it's completely random.

you can do either. dodges have a certain amount of i frames. no need to adjust guard, just wasd + space

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Postoyevsky posted:

you can do either. dodges have a certain amount of i frames. no need to adjust guard, just wasd + space

Thank you. Now I can go back to getting my rear end kicked and know what exactly I am loving up.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

My advice is to practice deflects on Nobushi. I had the easiest time with her because her light attacks (which she uses all the time) are so quick that the deflect timing is basically the same as your reaction time. Her lights are also very easy to parry for a free heavy for that reason; you pretty much just parry as soon as you see them go out. As opposed to Orochi whose lights I'm convinced are impossible to parry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Dregs posted:

I think you're kinda confusing two different mechanics. PK is one of the more complicated heroes in the game.

Dodges have to be timed, and also sometimes angle matters. Like some side attacks sweep across and so if you dodge to the side you'll get hit. But you can side dodge a top attack. Its ultimately based entirely on the hitboxes, you just have to look visually and learn which attacks will connect to a left dodge and which will not, basically. Dodging back is safest but then you can't follow up as easily. (Except for a couple heroes who have a thing for that)

Its not random, its based on hitboxes.

Then the more complication is if you're PK, you can deflect. Deflect means you have to match the direction of the attack, AND you have to dodge TOWARDS it (as a result of matching). The timing is tight, like a parry.

Dodge: move AWAY from the attack, look at hitboxes, any direction except matching the attack

Deflect: move TOWARDS the attack, matching the attack direction angle

A Deflect is basically like a dodge parry. Instead of simply dodging, you counter-attack, like how instead of simply blocking, you parry. Landing a deflect on the heroes who are capable of deflecting always means you can do a follow-up attack.