Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

jobson groeth posted:

Today I learned that chipotle are just dried jalapeño's

Huh I always figured they were smoked. I mean smoking would dry it sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Huh I always figured they were smoked. I mean smoking would dry it sure

Here's a Carolina Reaper being smoked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqM_NRLstbM

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The noise this guy makes afterwards is possibly the most unintentionally funny thing on the internet.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Memento posted:

The noise this guy makes afterwards is possibly the most unintentionally funny thing on the internet.

Someone in the comments says, “now smoke some milk,” lol.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MariusLecter posted:

"Sit" is short for "Situate" as in telling someone to 'sit' is short for 'situate yourself'.

Old English sittan, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch zitten, German sitzen, from an Indo-European root shared by Latin sedere and Greek hezesthai .

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

A deli near me sells smoked sausage that I absolutely love. I've used it in soups many times and eaten it by itself as a snack. I've been buying it around once a month for over five years.

Found out yesterday that the casing isn't considered edible.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

A deli near me sells smoked sausage that I absolutely love. I've used it in soups many times and eaten it by itself as a snack. I've been buying it around once a month for over five years.

You're still alive, so I guess they were mistaken!

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Memento posted:

He's essentially inhaling pepper spray directly into his lungs.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

If it's a cellulose casing, you can eat it. It's just kind of pointless. If it's a plastic casing, you probably shouldn't eat it. It'll pass through you, but it's not the best thing in the world.

If you notice strings of un-chewable things when you're eating, that's plastic. If you notice pieces of flavorless nonsense when you're eating, that's cellulose. I've been know to eat cellulose casing out of laziness.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Tutti frutti is Italian for "all fruits." Because it's a fruit punch type of flavor.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Nostradingus posted:

Tutti frutti is Italian for "all fruits." Because it's a fruit punch type of flavor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOrkA_B3LsA

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

MariusLecter posted:

"Sit" is short for "Situate" as in telling someone to 'sit' is short for 'situate yourself'.

Why do people keep doing this

This one isn't even believable

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Why do people keep doing this

This one isn't even believable

sup billy goat gruff

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/sehnaoui/status/1096557036341473280

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Recently I learned that rheas are not, in fact, extinct, and South America does still have person-sized birds running around

I think I must have conflated terror birds (which are extinct, and from South America) with moas (which are also extinct, from New Zealand, and the word sounds a bit like rheas)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The stain remover Tabort is called Tabort because it's originally Swedish and "ta bort" is "take away" i.e. "remove" in Swedish.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
My stain remover is also named Tabort.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mine is named Enrique

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Phy posted:

Recently I learned that rheas are not, in fact, extinct, and South America does still have person-sized birds running around

I think I must have conflated terror birds (which are extinct, and from South America) with moas (which are also extinct, from New Zealand, and the word sounds a bit like rheas)

They also live in Germany now.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
There's an actress named Saoirse Ronan. Her first name rhymes with inertia.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Memento posted:

There's an actress named Saoirse Ronan. Her first name rhymes with inertia.

Uhh, y'all need to watch Song of the Sea. Teaches you quick that Saoirse is "sear-sha". Also it's a drat good film.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Saoirse Ronan doesn’t pronounce her name quite like it’s meant to be.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Saoirse doesn’t rhyme with inertia.

Sharing a last syllable and rhyming are not the same thing

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Had an Irish kid named Oisín in my (Flemish) school for several years. I heard some interesting pronunciations from people who didn't know him

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Well I'm Edgar Allen Ho and I'm here to say
Yall are bad at rhyming in a major way

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

Had an Irish kid named Oisín in my (Flemish) school for several years. I heard some interesting pronunciations from people who didn't know him

I have a really good friend from Liedekerke. We mostly speak in french or english for obvious reasons but would it be rude to ask her to say “Oisín” in the best dutch way she knows how?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is it not SER-sha? That's what they were calling her on the Graham Norton show last night.

To add to that: I had an argument with my English(!) teacher in Year 9 about how to pronounce the name Siobhan. I might not know how Saoirse is pronounced but I know for a fact there's no one named see-OB-han in the world.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Even at "sear-sha," that doesn't rhyme with "inertia." They're slightly different sounds that happen to end in an "uh," which doesn't make them rhyme.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Saiorse rhymes with ‘nertia. English is my second language however I did not have a first language.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Inertia? drat near killed her!

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

purple death ray posted:

Inertia? drat near killed her!

Boo this man

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Queen Combat posted:

Even at "sear-sha," that doesn't rhyme with "inertia." They're slightly different sounds that happen to end in an "uh," which doesn't make them rhyme.

the ertia part of inertia is the same (or very similary) sound as the aiorse part of Saiorse

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
From my understanding the first syllable is somewhere between "sair" and "seer," but like many Irish vowels it's a vowel sound we don't really have in English.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Memento posted:

To add to that: I had an argument with my English(!) teacher in Year 9 about how to pronounce the name Siobhan. I might not know how Saoirse is pronounced but I know for a fact there's no one named see-OB-han in the world.

You went to school in a Key & Peele sketch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58JPzDokbNs

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

You went to school in a Key & Peele sketch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58JPzDokbNs

I was in year 9 in 1991 so, no. I'm sure it's enough of a common experience that I'm by no means the only person to recall it happening.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Memento posted:

Is it not SER-sha? That's what they were calling her on the Graham Norton show last night.

Saoirse Ronan is ser-sha, yeah. I saw her on Conan or Colbert or something where she said how to pronounce it, and mentioned Irish people always tell her it’s wrong.

So both are right depending on if you mean the actress, or the name in general.

Also there are absolutely See-ob-hans now. People see it spelled but never spoken and like how they think it sounds.

BlockChainNetflix
Sep 2, 2011
Don't even get me started on how people don't correctly elongate the vowels in Ronan.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I have a really good friend from Liedekerke. We mostly speak in french or english for obvious reasons but would it be rude to ask her to say “Oisín” in the best dutch way she knows how?

I assume even the Irish aren't sure how to pronounce most Irish words, so no, go ahead and report back.

Now that I think about it, going by the diacritic I'm pretty sure the consensus pronunciation at our school was actually off and we were emphasizing the wrong syllable. Close, though

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Aphrodite posted:

Also there are absolutely See-ob-hans now. People see it spelled but never spoken and like how they think it sounds.

I know an Eobhan. Pronounced Ay-oh-ban. I have to bite my tongue not to correct her own pronunciation of her name every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I knew an Eoin who was surprised when I pronounced his name correctly.