Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Can Atlus get worse? New studies by scientists point to yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Oh god jesus. :majorminor:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

hmm this doesn't seem like a good video game

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

i can run more than one research center, right? dreadfully slow process, that

oh yeah you can. only limited by resources and power. higher tech lets you generate both faster

other planets have more valuable research items to speed the process along as well

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Snooze Cruise posted:

hmm this doesn't seem like a good video game

I just wanna know if it's not too late to get a transfer on that first Smash Ultimate DLC character from Joker to something...not from Studio P? Like if it still has to be an Atlus character then just swap him with...I dunno Jack Frost? Mara? I'll take Mara.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Welp, don't have to touch Catherine ever. I guess Atlus just wants to kill its own profits.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sanzuo posted:

this is a chill game

What game is that?

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

What game is that?

Astroneer. kind of like subnautica + digdug

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It looks very cute and I look forward to trying it some time down the line

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

what the gently caress

i cant believe they found a way to be more transphobic than the original game

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Japan is many things, but progressive towards LGBT rights is not one of them.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Infinitum posted:

counterpoint: SWERY is a national treasure and deserves to be protected

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Changing the subject from a poo poo company being poo poo, tetris royale got me thinking about whether it would be possible to make a workable turn based BR. I'm thinking something like civ's simultaneous turns, but with each player only controlling one unit, or a small few that are kept near each other but still controlled independently, on like a 5 second turn clock. It would need to be short not to be tedious or give too much advantage to people waiting until the very end, but 5 seconds might be too short if menus are involved.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Infinitum posted:

Why do people have to bring this up every time, like yeah japan isn't super great about lgbt rights, but like that isn't like an excuse for a game to be lovely about them and I have played plenty of japanese games where i was like "oh this cooler with LGBT stuff then I seen in some western games."

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 16, 2019

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

FZeroRacer posted:

counterpoint: SWERY is a national treasure and deserves to be protected

shame he makes such bad games

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

wandering son got a tv anime it's not like the nerdy circles of japan are oblivious to the current LGBT climate. this is just intentional malice

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

Why do people have to bring this up every time, like yeah japan isn't super great about lgbt rights, but like that isn't like an excuse for a game to be lovely about them and I have played plenty of japanese games where i was like "oh this cooler with LGBT stuff then I seen in some western games."

I'm not saying it's an excuse, I'm saying Japan is dragging it's rear end

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

Why do people have to bring this up every time, like yeah japan kinda sucks on lgbt rights, but like that isn't like an excuse for a game to be lovely about them and I have played plenty of japanese games where i was like "oh this cooler with LGBT stuff then I seen in some western games."

Yeah, generalizing like that kinda sucks when examples like this can be very clearly traced to the consistent trends and ideas of a particular team or director without bulldozing over the existence of better LGBT works, authors, and movements. Japan has a lovely conservative government and general culture, but if you're just gonna take it as read that people are inevitable extensions of their ruling culture, then, well. It's the sort of thinking that led to a bunch of nerds getting really angry about a trans character in a popular anime last year, because there's just no way such a thing would happen without western meddling, or people being completely unaware of the ongoing-literally-today gay marriage movement.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Infinitum posted:

Why bring it up in this context?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Infinitum posted:

It turns out old conservatives are bad everywhere, but they aren't the entire country. Himote House had an entire episode that directly advocated for gay rights.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 16, 2019

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Apparently Catherine goes back in time and fixes a lot of poo poo with Vincent and his friends; one of the things she does is cure Eric's body dysmorphia. Frankly i'm more surprised that they didn't also make him straight, given how unfriendly they are towards gay dudes.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Reports are that it's the specific director Hoshino and his views, don't throw an entire country under the bus when they complained about Erica's treatment in the original

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean, its Atlus. Their flagship franchise doesnt care for gay or trans people either. Aso Japan just passed some regressive laws regarding trans people so, sigh.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Also from that thread:

quote:

Hello, trans woman who works in the industry and also is about a dozen hours into the Japanese version of Full Body here. A few things:

1.) The tweet isn't misrepresenting that specific ending. It's absolutely hosed. Also not the only transphobic moment in the game. When Vincent sees that Rin has male genitalia for the first time he feels tricked and instinctively hits Rin, causing her to run away. The rest of her route, should you pursue it, is about tracking her down.

2.) From Japanese industry scuttlebutt, this is 100% Hashino and his view of LGBTQ and global issues. Sickening given that he said that Full Body was the "completed" concept of the original Catherine, that they supposedly had to hold back on because society was in a different place 8 years ago. And then they made it worse.

3.) Atlus self-professes to not thinking at all about the global market when making games. I know very directly from current and former Atlus USA employees that they will never listen to Atlus USA when they make suggestions or voice opinions about the contents of the games. That said, it isn't only the Western audience that finds this poo poo gross. The Japanese market did in fact complain about Erica in the original game, and I've already seen early complaints about Full Body's treatment. To say that there isn't an active and vocal LGBTQ community in Japan is ignorance; they just don't get international media coverage.

4.) I have it on good authority that Atlus USA has been...doing their best with what they've been given. But I still expect this content to be in the Western release. Ugh.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

But how's the netcode?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Wait I thought Rin had no genitals at all because of the whole is an alien thing. <big spoils

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I don't know everything about the Rin stuff but I just want to say I think its weird that people thought like the alien somehow made things ok when it was still like clearly playing into trans panic stuff with how it was marketed. Like yeah when I saw the spoiler for that I laughed and poo poo, but I didn't get that attitude certain people had where it like cleanse away the former.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

not to derail the shatlus posts, but heck yeah

with Yoshi's Woolly World down, that's the last uncompleted physical wii u game I have, now I can switch out the system with the Switch and start actually playing that again, maybe

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Grapplejack posted:

Wait I thought Rin had no genitals at all because of the whole is an alien thing. <big spoils
Despite being some sort of alien angel she does have a penis

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

Why bring it up in this context?

Because it's a game developed by a Japanese studio?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Not like the rest of the world is that much better about trans people than Japan.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Infinitum posted:

Because it's a game developed by a Japanese studio?

But do people make that statement about any western game or piece of media that is lovely about minorities? Because

If this was a western game I bet most people wouldn't be saying:

Infinitum posted:

America is many things, but progressive towards LGBT rights is not one of them.

Even though hell, it would still be somewhat true.

e: I hope that isn't sounding like I am like belittling the progress that has been made in America. Its just this type of framing is weird and bad.
e2: like its bad on two fronts, like Motto cover the bulldozing of LGBT works and movements in Japan, and then it like frames the west as being SUPER COOL and GREAT on these issues which creates a bubble where people believe that without realizing there is so much more to be done.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 16, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So I'm playing my way through Horizon: Zero Dawn and I realized it does a better job of being Mass Effect 3 than ME3 did.

Totally captures bleakness and hope struggling against all sensible odds and poo poo. And the dumb fetch quests you grind for levels kind of have an effect on the late game.
The infodumps about all the background lore and history started giving me anxiety. It's very rooted in We hosed Everything Up and it's kind of amazing.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Infinitum posted:

Persona 5, another game by Atlus, a game I absolutely loved, has a few problems similar to this kind of thing that are kind of gross and it sucks because the game is otherwise so good. There's two gay dudes in the game that are brought up twice, and they handled completely as a joke and their portrayal is so lovely and offensive.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Speaking of LGBT, how were we supposed to feel about Mr Gold and Mr Silver in God Hand? They’re super campy gay in a way I haven’t really seen in video games, and I don’t know what to think of them, maybe a smart person could say whether they’re okay or not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pnBXFgOP8Y

Good game tho

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The most offensive part of persona 5 is the translation

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
There's plenty of lovely country and conglomerate leadership at home and abroad to piss from the cloud and into our mouths. Down with the system.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

In Training posted:

The most offensive part of persona 5 is the translation

Wrong, it's not being able to Social Link with Makoto's older sister.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Snooze Cruise posted:

But do people make that statement about any western game or piece of media that is lovely about minorities? Because

If this was a western game I bet most people wouldn't be saying:

Yes posters basically do that all the time categorizing all "western games" as one type in these forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Atlus being terrible on that front isn't very surprising.

That said, I really didn't expect them to go backwards that much