Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

andrew smash posted:

Well I think they were zensunni mystics when they reached arrakis and then spent several thousand years developing a brutal warrior culture :shrug:

Hm yeah that'll do it

Any casting on kynes? He always seemed p.cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Elissimpark posted:

All those are pretty cool, but that's an awesome ornithopter.

"I'm gonna call a space Uber."
"Nah, I'll give you a lift in my owl."

That's amazing artwork.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I don't remember where I got these, but I think they're pretty neat.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
They were by one of Bioware's artists, I believe.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

NOVEMBER 2020

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

sebmojo posted:

Sex weird starts in heretics

you forget the whole lesbians are cool gay men are definitely not cool in god emperor? dont get me wrong his bdsm is a sex weapon poo poo in heretics is whole nother level of his weird sex hang ups.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Homosexual suicide fanatics are in Dune too i guess, Fedaykin more like Fedgaykin

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Fremen sitcom, That's My Sietch

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Weird sex poo poo in scifi actually rules.

That's how a lot of us stupid dweebs learn to get hornt up as kids.

There's way worst things than having sexual formative experiences about having like, space shaking mutually [pleasing orgasms or thinking super powerful space witches are hot.

We're just emberassed of our own puberty.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Duncan/Murbella sex scene was literally the hottest thing I ever read in the first 15 years of my life come at me :blastu:

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Fremen sitcom, That's My Sietch

Two and a Half Moons

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I jerked off to the Illuminatus trilogy when I was a teen and despite the weird hippie whole earth catalog libertarian poo poo, it made me a better more adventurous and imaginative sex haven’t.

I’m a sci-fi author and I hope to god I’m writing weird weird horny poo poo when I’m old and cumless.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I’m a sci-fi author

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I’m old and cumless

Robotnik Nudes posted:

a better more adventurous and imaginative sex haven’t.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Homosexual suicide fanatics are in Dune too i guess, Fedaykin more like Fedgaykin
So someone that identifies as a homosexual federal agent?
EDIT: Or should that be federal homosexual agent? :thunk:

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Feb 17, 2019

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I jerked off to the Illuminatus trilogy when I was a teen and despite the weird hippie whole earth catalog libertarian poo poo, it made me a better more adventurous and imaginative sex haven’t.

I’m a sci-fi author and I hope to god I’m writing weird weird horny poo poo when I’m old and cumless.

Illuminatus! trilogy owns and even in its bizarreity and ridiculousness is better than anything @duneauthor could hope to accomplish

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

rndmnmbr posted:

They ARE pretty neat. I like grizzled, one-legged Thufir.

Is that the Emperor next to Piter?

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

It's gotta be, right? And the big guy next to him is a Sardaukar?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Farrier Theaks posted:

I always liked that idea (religions and philosophies merging in the future, like in the OC Bible), but lol I never saw much zen in an intergalactic jihad

eh i feel like people put stuff like zen and other forms of buddhism into this pacifistic box where everyone's becoming a holy saint and this is probably kind of not correct. There's plenty of cases where holy monks kick rear end for various reasons, including beating potential followers until they attack back, and this counterattack becomes the usul, so to speak, of a new understanding that is being built in the mind of the novice.

well that and the current genocide but those guys aren't zen so i dunno if it counts

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Ok so just to clarify:

lol I never saw much (of my incorrect idea of) (the pacifist) zen (stereotype) in an intergalactic jihad

Thanks

Asbury fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 17, 2019

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
no I could easily be wrong
all posts are in their essence shitposts

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a shitpost that makes sense. But the real shitpost is always one step beyond logic."

- from the sayings of Muad'Dib

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
The riddle game with Namri is pretty zen

I always bring it up, 'cause it's one of my favorite things

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The whole zen thing is supposed to be more about learning, self-improvement and philosophy, with the pacifism thing being mostly a Western orientalist invention, is my understanding. (though suddenly thinking of the Simpsons minigolf episode where Lisa tries to use Zen to train Bart to improve his game)

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole zen thing is supposed to be more about learning, self-improvement and philosophy, with the pacifism thing being mostly a Western orientalist invention, is my understanding. (though suddenly thinking of the Simpsons minigolf episode where Lisa tries to use Zen to train Bart to improve his game)

Alas, there is no self to improve

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mysteriously, zen places had zero problems with any of the japanese atrocities of ww2 when the soldiers were commiting them

Or the German ones

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
pic in budapest, one of the filming locations (along with jordan)

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

make the high mother super old, like mega ultra old

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I'm gonna name my prog-rock band "Friends of Jamis"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

rndmnmbr posted:

These are great. It must be frustrating for an artist to have an imagination like this, when there is so much mediocre character design stuff out there...

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Tree Bucket posted:

These are great. It must be frustrating for an artist to have an imagination like this, when there is so much mediocre character design stuff out there...

The stillsuits look very... visceral.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Zopotantor posted:

The stillsuits look very... visceral.

GIS reverse search led me back to the source with commentary: http://mattrhodesart.blogspot.com/2015/09/dune-now-with-some-color.html

"Fremen don’t care that they smell awful, they accept the realities of their lives, so I wanted to design a suit that didn't shy away from its vulgar processes. It’s designed to process piss, poo poo and sweat into drinkable water. Seeing a person in their stillsuit should almost feel like seeing them naked."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

eh i feel like people put stuff like zen and other forms of buddhism into this pacifistic box where everyone's becoming a holy saint and this is probably kind of not correct. There's plenty of cases where holy monks kick rear end for various reasons, including beating potential followers until they attack back, and this counterattack becomes the usul, so to speak, of a new understanding that is being built in the mind of the novice.

well that and the current genocide but those guys aren't zen so i dunno if it counts
The Shaolin monks are renowned for beating mad rear end (and this disproves the soy boy bullshit too: do you think a Shaolin monk did not eat up on some tofu?) and

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Mysteriously, zen places had zero problems with any of the japanese atrocities of ww2 when the soldiers were commiting them

Or the German ones
this part too

Buddhism does have less intrinsic valorization of military matters than the Abrahamic religions but that is more "the canonical texts do not heavily feature accounts of the military campaigns of the chosen people, or hypotheticals about how the Lord is going to shoot the enemy with a holy beam cannon and kill, like, a billion people at once."

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thats what the anime is for

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ya I saw Battle Angel it was good

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
How much did religion really matter to the various houses and factions? Were the Atreides, Corrinos, and Harkonnen all equally pious? When Paul receives the OC Bible, is it to study up more on his house's historical religious beliefs, or is he trying to better understand the Fremen beliefs before meeting them?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Fremen are true believers of a mix of their own zensunni faith along with some meddling from the BG

You should assume that paul and jessica are cynically exploiting the situation, but leto may have had faith, i do not know. The loyalty the atreides seem to inspire is quasi-religious, or it came off that way last time i read Dune

the harkonnen are pretty obviously godless capitalists, and corrino is probably in a position to know about these things the way the BG does.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I took the Bible Paul got to be yueh giving him an arsenal of religious stuff to exploit the Fremen. The atreides had been looking into the Fremen for awhile at that point I think so it'd make sense to know their weird beliefs are at least partially zensunni.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Honky Dong Country posted:

I took the Bible Paul got to be yueh giving him an arsenal of religious stuff to exploit the Fremen. The atreides had been looking into the Fremen for awhile at that point I think so it'd make sense to know their weird beliefs are at least partially zensunni.
Paul was also explicitly trained by his mother in all manner of ways, so it's not unreasonable to assume he knew BG manipulated religions and took advantage of that to grasp the Desert Power that his father spoke of, after Atreides been made into a guerilla house, after the "sleeper had awakened".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

thats what the anime is for

https://twitter.com/kbonds420/status/913761180757512193?s=19