Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Can anyone comment on how well the 8bitdo Wireless Bluetooth Adapter works on Switch? I kind of want to connect a DS4 to my Switch for D-pad heavy games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I've had a total of 1 bad input on the pro controller playing Tetris 99. Granted, it lost me the match, but given that I've owned the thing since launch and used to play Puyo Puyo Tetris on it all the time, I'm willing to deal. What are some of you doing with your dpads?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
has anyone tried daemon x machina? is it any good?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
What size SD card is good for a Switch? I’ll primarily be buying digital through a foreign Nintendo account.

Also can I start with the 32 on-board then add it in later (if I find a good deal on a larger card)?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

unimportantguy posted:

I've had a total of 1 bad input on the pro controller playing Tetris 99. Granted, it lost me the match, but given that I've owned the thing since launch and used to play Puyo Puyo Tetris on it all the time, I'm willing to deal. What are some of you doing with your dpads?

I bought mine like a week after I got my switch on launch day and from day one it hosed up in BotW selecting weapons vs selecting your magnet/timestop/whatever. It didn't matter much so I didn't care, and I didn't really touch the d-pad in most games beyond booyahing in Splatoon. It's poorly designed/made as evidenced by all the people cracking it open and sticking tape in it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
You guys are top notch with your detailed responses. Thanks a lot.

Any dungeon crawlers in the style of Etrian Odyssey or Dungeon Travelers (fanservice not required.. gameplay is really good, I swear). I know there's D3 but I'm looking for something more explore/team/turn.

How about rhythm games? I played a good lot of P5 Dancing Whatever game and enjoyed it. I see there's quite a few out there - any standouts?

Look, I'm trying really hard to justify buying a Switch so I can play Tetris 99. TIA :D

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

You guys are top notch with your detailed responses. Thanks a lot.

Any dungeon crawlers in the style of Etrian Odyssey or Dungeon Travelers (fanservice not required.. gameplay is really good, I swear). I know there's D3 but I'm looking for something more explore/team/turn.

How about rhythm games? I played a good lot of P5 Dancing Whatever game and enjoyed it. I see there's quite a few out there - any standouts?

Look, I'm trying really hard to justify buying a Switch so I can play Tetris 99. TIA :D

There's Crypt of the Necrodancer, which is both a roguelike and a rhythm game.

I hear Darkest Dungeon is good, but I haven't played it.

For rhythm I recommend Thumper, and Just Shapes and Beats.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I was gonna buy Smash tonight but I guess I had too many beers and scraped the code off my gift card. This is going to be an interesting call to Nintendo tomorrow.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

totalnewbie posted:

Labyrinth of Refrain is solid. The story is pretty :psyduck: though.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 16, 2019

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Raserys posted:

has anyone tried daemon x machina? is it any good?

I liked it, it's a free demo so it's worth a shot.
I didn't really get a lot of different weapons and I have some issue with the graphical style, it makes it hard for me to see enemies properly.

I also died to the boss the first time because I didn't notice he had a belly full of weakpoints and ran out of ammo :D

Hopefully the full game is also good and the coop will be fun. And hopefully they have more big guys.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The boss in DxM feels a bit weirdly tuned for the demo too, like if you go through the previous stages a few times and luck into some decent weapons he's not bad, but he's too tough if you just go straight through and are still using the crappy starting ones.

There's some cool stuff you can do though, like shooting the weak points around his big gun so it falls off then you can pick it up and shoot him with it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Andrast posted:

Labyrinth of Refrain is solid. The story is pretty :psyduck: though.

You know the problem with you guys being helpful is now I'm going to go spend a bunch of money. That looks extremely my jam.

porkinson
Jan 20, 2015

Policenaut posted:

Can anyone comment on how well the 8bitdo Wireless Bluetooth Adapter works on Switch? I kind of want to connect a DS4 to my Switch for D-pad heavy games.

It works great, just pick up the controller press the connect button and bam, you are in.

I had to update the firmware since it was a bit fiddly when pairing up with my switch, but after that no issues. Updating is really easy too, just need a pc with Internet connection to download the firmware.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Sakurazuka posted:

The boss in DxM feels a bit weirdly tuned for the demo too, like if you go through the previous stages a few times and luck into some decent weapons he's not bad, but he's too tough if you just go straight through and are still using the crappy starting ones.

There's some cool stuff you can do though, like shooting the weak points around his big gun so it falls off then you can pick it up and shoot him with it.

Oh poo poo I did not see that. I did notice that the friendly AI seemed to have disabled his missiles.

The big gun also gets kinda buggy if he tries to target you and you're like below him or behind him.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I wish T99 tracked how you were doing outside of win rate to get an idea of your skill level. I can always get to top 10 because of the disgusting and frankly negligent amount of Puyo Puyo Tetris we played at work while we were waiting to get our exit dates. I haven't mastered doing 4wides though, and I think that's what's keeping me from consistently getting first place.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

The gameplay frame rate can also be a case of not being able to just magic in some new frames, depending on how it was coded. Okami HD is locked at 30 fps, and the devs said they experimented with 60 fps and found that it completely broke the game's logic, physics, and animation system because they were all designed around things happening at 30 fps. Making it independent of the frame rate would have required redoing basically the entire game apart from art assets, so now it's locked at 30 fps and everyone cries about it and says they literally can't play it and asks for refunds.

FF is probably the same sort of deal unless they actually remade the whole game and then locked it for no reason.
I know, that's why I said the gameplay was coupled to the framerate.

And I'm fully aware it's not as easy as typing in "FPS=60;" and recompiling the game. Of course it would take a lot of extra work to get it uncoupled, but when your game is tied to the framerate and that framerate is locked as low as 15 fps then I feel like if you're gonna do a remaster/re-release, that's the first thing you should work on. It was one thing playing games with those kinds of framerates on a tiny lovely CRT across the living room, but playing with it on a crisp new display up in your face it's just a ticket to headache-ville.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Went out and bought hori dpad joycon his arvo and it’s way way better than using buttons. 4th place in first game after switching.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Rolo posted:

Ok so after a year of having issues occasionally with hotels (Hilton/Marriott) just not wanting to bring up the browser to log into their splash screen agreements and unlocking WiFi I finally got it to work using my iPad (not really necessary if you have a phone) and my switch’s DNS settings.

I will happily write an effort post if anyone has had the same issues when staying in hotels, which I do a ton for work.

I’m really happy I got this working.

Yes please. This has given me grief for months and anything that could fix it would be amazing. What do you mean by not necessary if I have a phone?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Tirade posted:

Yes please. This has given me grief for months and anything that could fix it would be amazing. What do you mean by not necessary if I have a phone?

They probably mean Android phone, as most have a hot spot feature you can tether the switch to. Do iPhones allow tethering?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

bushisms.txt posted:

They probably mean Android phone, as most have a hot spot feature you can tether the switch to. Do iPhones allow tethering?

You can't tether and connect to wifi on the same device so I don't think it'd work for connecting to hotel wifi

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ow, the edge!

https://twitter.com/fluffysmolcloud/status/1096621450461511681

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Trials is coming to the Switch?!

loving yes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BKSS7Hul7s

I was excited for this before realising with out analogue triggers it's gonna play considerably worse than the other platforms.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

tetris 99 is inside my bones

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

^burtle posted:

I was gonna buy Smash tonight but I guess I had too many beers and scraped the code off my gift card. This is going to be an interesting call to Nintendo tomorrow.

This has happened to me and I was sober. I'm not sure if I was doing it wrong (even though that has never happened to me before with PSN cards), but from then on I just started buying digital eshop cards.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If you have most of the code intact you can try different combinations of letters and numbers based on the shapes of the partial letters/numbers until you find one that works, that’s what I did for my brother’s eShop card one time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nothing personal kidsquid

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

^burtle posted:

yah the phone people seem nice and will prolly ungoof it cheerily

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Your Computer posted:

And I'm fully aware it's not as easy as typing in "FPS=60;" and recompiling the game. Of course it would take a lot of extra work to get it uncoupled, but when your game is tied to the framerate and that framerate is locked as low as 15 fps then I feel like if you're gonna do a remaster/re-release, that's the first thing you should work on. It was one thing playing games with those kinds of framerates on a tiny lovely CRT across the living room, but playing with it on a crisp new display up in your face it's just a ticket to headache-ville.

Oh.

I think I puked in my hair.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

hadji murad posted:

What size SD card is good for a Switch? I’ll primarily be buying digital through a foreign Nintendo account.

Also can I start with the 32 on-board then add it in later (if I find a good deal on a larger card)?

Most games aren't terribly large, so if you don't think you'll be buying a ton of games, 64GB would be sufficient.

Do look up the filesize of any particular games you're interested in, just to make sure -- Some games push 10GB (unusual for Nintendo/Switch titles,) and there was one earlier third party game (that I've forgotten the name of) that made us chuckle, because it was so large, it wouldn't fit on the internal storage.

Check around for prices; if a 128GB is negligibly more expensive than a 64GB, might as well go for that.

Save game data is stored exclusively on the internal storage. Some games have obnoxiously large save files; Minecraft is like 4GB. Not recommended to lean on the internal storage if you're going primarily digital.

If you buy X size SD card and ever decide to upgrade to a larger one, it's as simple as dumping the contents of the current card onto the new one.

enojy fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 16, 2019

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

At least this is not the case for FFIX on the Switch. Playing through the intro and so far everything looks and runs smoothly. It's definitely above 15 FPS, because framerates below 20 tend to make my eyes hurt and give me headaches over time. So also definitely at least above 20.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Astral Chain comes out August 30th

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

unimportantguy posted:

Don’t blame users, it’s not some reddit rumor that the pro controller is poorly made, it’s extremely well documented. Especially the first year models.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Policenaut posted:

It’s very good. Played a lot of four player Smash with it. It’s quite fat though, so you’re not likely to plug anything into the other USB port while it’s in.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

unimportantguy posted:

I don't know what speed/APM you're roughly at, and this is not meant as an attack, but I honestly can't imagine it being very high if you haven't noticed how mechanically broken the Pro Controller's trash D-pad is. Slightly better than Xbox/360, but a huge disappointment after the perfection that was the WiiU Pro D-pad.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Coxswain Balls posted:

I wish T99 tracked how you were doing outside of win rate to get an idea of your skill level. I can always get to top 10 because of the disgusting and frankly negligent amount of Puyo Puyo Tetris we played at work while we were waiting to get our exit dates. I haven't mastered doing 4wides though, and I think that's what's keeping me from consistently getting first place.

I've gotten a handful of wins, and I've personally found that T-spin doubles and back-to-back Tetrises will make people stay the hell away from you. Going back to PPT's base marathon mode has helped me learn the setup for T-spin triples (which in turn has helped me learn more about how the rotation system works), but I don't think they're entirely necessary, given how frantic everything gets.

The 4-wide setup gets complicated when the game gets stingy with the right pieces, so I'd suggest trying more 3-wide setups. It lets you perform some of the same combos and gives you more leeway when your pieces aren't working out.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
How's Civ 6 on switch? I feel like inventing pottery and ceremonial burial.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

bushisms.txt posted:

At the moment my lovely workaround involves connecting my phone to hotel wifi, USB tethering it to my laptop, then using my laptop's wifi as a hot spot for the switch. Anything that can simplify that would be super helpful.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

enojy posted:

Most games aren't terribly large, so if you don't think you'll be buying a ton of games, 64GB would be sufficient.

Do look up the filesize of any particular games you're interested in, just to make sure -- Some games push 10GB (unusual for Nintendo/Switch titles,) and there was one earlier third party game (that I've forgotten the name of) that made us chuckle, because it was so large, it wouldn't fit on the internal storage.

Check around for prices; if a 128GB is negligibly more expensive than a 64GB, might as well go for that.

Save game data is stored exclusively on the internal storage. Some games have obnoxiously large save files; Minecraft is like 4GB. Not recommended to lean on the internal storage if you're going primarily digital.

If you buy X size SD card and ever decide to upgrade to a larger one, it's as simple as dumping the contents of the current card onto the new one.

Thanks for the help!

I’ve done ordered myself a Switch now with a 256 Samsung I got a good deal on. I just like having a big collection with me always.

Now to find some games to buy...

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I lift my thumb up off the D-pad while switching directions rather than rolling it across and I don't get spurious hard drops. I don't know if that's a result of technique or if I lucked out and got a good D-pad on mine.

edit: oddly enough the problem that irritates me with my particular D-pad is that in Zelda II I'm getting Link crouching in the wrong direction

Takoluka posted:

I've gotten a handful of wins, and I've personally found that T-spin doubles and back-to-back Tetrises will make people stay the hell away from you. Going back to PPT's base marathon mode has helped me learn the setup for T-spin triples (which in turn has helped me learn more about how the rotation system works), but I don't think they're entirely necessary, given how frantic everything gets.

The 4-wide setup gets complicated when the game gets stingy with the right pieces, so I'd suggest trying more 3-wide setups. It lets you perform some of the same combos and gives you more leeway when your pieces aren't working out.

I've only managed to get combos to work late game (top 25 or so) when I've got a lot of badges, junk is piling up quickly, and I can combo off of the junk.

I've tried building 2-wide combos early on which was my preferred thing in Puyo Puyo Tetris but combos that would have wrecked someone don't seem to do as much as I'd like without badges.

Not that I've ever been very good at Tetris; I consistently make top 10 but only have one win because I keep ending up in games with people who are truly good and not just middling at best

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ok so the drift on my left joy-con has really gotten terrible. Playing Smash earlier I was trying to charge Samus' charge shot, only to screw attack. My right joy-con can no longer be used separately because it doesn't register L+R meaning I can't connect it individually. I can live without that since very few people ever play with me. So I don't want to buy new joy-cons necessarily.

I know the fix is contact solution. But I am an idiot who doesn't know what that is aside from what I used to use for my contact lenses, and that cannot possibly be it. Also I have to figure out what that stuff is in French.

Then when you get whatever it is, do you just put a drop or two on the rolling ball of the joy-stick?

Thank you again Switch thread for trouble-shooting for me, a person who is an idiot.