Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
There's also a skill in the first tier of the social tree that you can max out pretty quickly and gives a 20% payout boost for commissions as well as additional ranking points. Helps you get off your feet quicker and cut into the ranking deficit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

EponymousMrYar posted:

I bought this game in early access and it's a good, fresh take on the harvest moon style of game. It's not perfect but it does have a charm of it's own (combat is the weakest thing but whatevs.)

Just read the entire thread and here's a QoL thing I haven't seen mentioned: you can fuel furnaces with a variety of things, not just normal wood. I use hardwood as a fuel because I have gangbusters of it from before you could adjust what the tree farm/mine give you and from farming ironwood by hand.

Also because switching to electric furnaces to power everything saves on fuel quite a bit :v:

Also one of the best commissions to look out for at the start are Water Tank commissions. They're really easy to make and pay out nicely in Gol and Rep. So save some stone to turn into bricks for those.

If you want to beat Higgins ASAP, you need to go and grab your commissions between 8:00 and 8:30. Gotta snatch them out from under him because, in general, Higgins will take whatever commission pays the most in Gol.
A notable exception though: Higgins doesn't fish. He won't/hasn't ever taken a fishing commission that I've seen.
Befriend Percy for the rep point boost and don't forget to do your weekend inspections since AFAIK Higgins doesn't do them or does them really badly.

Also there's quite a few commissions that pay out more rep points than Gol in the early game, so you can use those to get a leg up on him in the rankings. I got ahead of him in the first summer and the gap has only continued to grow since then despite him getting a few story commissions from me.

The splits kind of necessary due to how the Factory will make whatever intermediates it needs in order to get the recipe done as needed.
Basically the main things you want to keep outside of the factory are whatever you need to assemble stuff. Plates, pipes, most of the stuff you find in ruins, some bars etc.

I think Higgins chooses randomly. You can cheese this so he doesn't pick up story commissions as far as I can tell.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Higgins also never picks up commissions on Sat/Sun, even if the board has some because of story events. It's sometimes worth it to take a middle tier story commission on the weekend and save a high paying one you know he would take for Monday when you can snatch it from under his nose.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Speaking of Higgins should I do his quest? Is there any kind of fuckery he's trying to do, being nice all the sudden an apologizing? I read elsewhere that it's a ressource intensive quest at least, but that info was from EA still so I don't know

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

haldolium posted:

Speaking of Higgins should I do his quest? Is there any kind of fuckery he's trying to do, being nice all the sudden an apologizing? I read elsewhere that it's a ressource intensive quest at least, but that info was from EA still so I don't know

Well, if you want a spoiler for how it goes...

He'll ask you for a bunch of intensive stuff, then when you give it to him he'll just taunt you. However, you can later confront him and he'll pay up for what you gave him. You will not improve the relationship with him, though.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Tenebrais posted:

Well, if you want a spoiler for how it goes...

He'll ask you for a bunch of intensive stuff, then when you give it to him he'll just taunt you. However, you can later confront him and he'll pay up for what you gave him. You will not improve the relationship with him, though.

Thanks! does the quest go away at some point if I ignore it, or will it just be there until I take it? I mainly don't want to have him run around with the exclamation mark littering my map.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

haldolium posted:

Thanks! does the quest go away at some point if I ignore it, or will it just be there until I take it? I mainly don't want to have him run around with the exclamation mark littering my map.

Just do it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Sydin posted:

Higgins also never picks up commissions on Sat/Sun, even if the board has some because of story events. It's sometimes worth it to take a middle tier story commission on the weekend and save a high paying one you know he would take for Monday when you can snatch it from under his nose.

You can do multiple story commissions in one day, as well as one "standard" commission each day (4 are posted, and you can take one - Higgins will take one at around 8:30 or so). You can only have one story commission and one standard commission at a time.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

You can do multiple story commissions in one day, as well as one "standard" commission each day (4 are posted, and you can take one - Higgins will take one at around 8:30 or so). You can only have one story commission and one standard commission at a time.

Pretty sure you can have one story commission of each arc - I had a commission for a dee-dee and one for street lights at the same time.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Tenebrais posted:

Pretty sure you can have one story commission of each arc - I had a commission for a dee-dee and one for street lights at the same time.

Neat! I hadn't tested that.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Just read the entire thread and here's a QoL thing I haven't seen mentioned: you can fuel furnaces with a variety of things, not just normal wood. I use hardwood as a fuel because I have gangbusters of it from before you could adjust what the tree farm/mine give you and from farming ironwood by hand.
It's more efficient to convert the hardwood to wood at the worktable before tossing it in by about 2-3x even iirc.

quote:

The splits kind of necessary due to how the Factory will make whatever intermediates it needs in order to get the recipe done as needed.
Basically the main things you want to keep outside of the factory are whatever you need to assemble stuff. Plates, pipes, most of the stuff you find in ruins, some bars etc.
There's no reason to keep stuff outside of the factory for assembling. It's way easier to find things in the factory materials inventory since all plates get sorted next to each other, all bars get sorted together, etc.

For worktable stuff unless you find yourself constantly needing to make 100 single seats it's not really worth the hassle of having two separate inventories imo since the delay is a bit less than a second per worktable craft before upgrades.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think I'll snag 2nd place by the end of my first Spring in the game. Still plodding away at getting the level 2/3 workshop/assembly stuff. Need to make more money to buy more land too. I suppose sheds and coops should be a target as well. I still need a dang kitchen.

Also, I got a sewing machine relic as a gift. Does it serve any actual purpose or is it just a cosmetic furnishing?

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

I'm pretty solidly in second place, nearing the end of spring. Higgins still has like double my reputation, though. I should have grabbed that social skills that boosts commission rewards sooner :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Catching Higgins is an inevitability as long as you don't slack on building. Take a commission every day and make sure you're completing the story ones at a decent pace. Even with a few gently caress ups - such as having to abandon a commission for a Pot of Asteria because I found out only after that the game had screwed me and the commission was literally uncompletable at my current place in the plot :argh: - I had eeked ahead of Higgins by Autumn and had blown him out of the water for the yearly rankings come Winter's end.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Sydin posted:

Catching Higgins is an inevitability as long as you don't slack on building. Take a commission every day and make sure you're completing the story ones at a decent pace. Even with a few gently caress ups - such as having to abandon a commission for a Pot of Asteria because I found out only after that the game had screwed me and the commission was literally uncompletable at my current place in the plot :argh: - I had eeked ahead of Higgins by Autumn and had blown him out of the water for the yearly rankings come Winter's end.

lol. Thats exactly what happend to me.

But yeah, I'm at the 2nd year now and I doubt that fucker will ever catch up unless I do 1-2 weeks of nothing.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Also, just so you know, you can only take one story commission at a time, but you can take multiple per day as long as you complete what you took. I knocked out all 5 of the harbor commissions on the day they came out because I had stuff stockpiled. Since they turned into Antoine, I just brought all the mats I needed and knocked them out in like 40 game minutes.

Also also, buy out Emily's food stand for hotpot and meet everyone's wishes as best you can. I probably got a heart with everyone due to all the cascading bonuses from relationship changes.

Serf
May 5, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

I bought this game in early access and it's a good, fresh take on the harvest moon style of game. It's not perfect but it does have a charm of it's own (combat is the weakest thing but whatevs.)

how do you swap to other fuel sources? wood seems to be the only option for me

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
fire generators can be fueled with anything, but for furnaces you can break down hardwood into wood at 1:5, at least

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Yeah, I turned in three dee dees the first day they were available, lol. And I had just been thinking it would be neat to beat Higgins in the spring. It's not going to happen at this point, but I think I can do it by the end of summer or definitely in autumn.

I've hit a bit of a wall, though. I've got the Bassiano Lift quest, and it takes iron wooden planks, which I don't seem to have any way to make. I'm waiting on my first 10-disc research to finish, I'm hoping that might give me the blueprint for a new machine to make these planks with. Oh well, this gives me time to go deeper in the hazardous ruins and maybe go fishing.

Game's good.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Zack Ater posted:

Yeah, I turned in three dee dees the first day they were available, lol. And I had just been thinking it would be neat to beat Higgins in the spring. It's not going to happen at this point, but I think I can do it by the end of summer or definitely in autumn.

I've hit a bit of a wall, though. I've got the Bassiano Lift quest, and it takes iron wooden planks, which I don't seem to have any way to make. I'm waiting on my first 10-disc research to finish, I'm hoping that might give me the blueprint for a new machine to make these planks with. Oh well, this gives me time to go deeper in the hazardous ruins and maybe go fishing.

Game's good.

You’ll need the tier 2 cutter for Ironwood.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Probably do a civil corps commission for the mucus while you're at it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
One thing the game doesn't explain well is that if you don't constantly have the research center cooking then you'll probably hit a wall for main quest progression. Always have disks to give to Petra.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

CitizenKain posted:

You’ll need the tier 2 cutter for Ironwood.

Ah, I figured it was something like that.

Panfilo posted:

Probably do a civil corps commission for the mucus while you're at it.

Will do! I rarely send them out for stuff anyway :v:

Sydin posted:

One thing the game doesn't explain well is that if you don't constantly have the research center cooking then you'll probably hit a wall for main quest progression. Always have disks to give to Petra.

Yeah I've mostly kept it rolling, I just missed several days early on :(

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Sydin posted:

This said, unless you're really stuck or trying to do a crazy thing like beat Higgins in Spring/Summer, don't pay the extra discs to reduce the time. You'll get everything at a perfectly decent pace.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
You don't even have to pay the discs for rushing if you want to beat higgins in spring. Just keeping them always running is enough.

Getting number one in spring is just making sure you have massive surpluses of materials to be able to do all of the story commissions asap before higgins can pick them up.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i basically spent all my extra stamina on excavating the entire ruins A: for fuel and B: for exp (cause nothing else gives exp in this game, basically) and i had so many data disks i was able to pay the max to speed it up each time

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Chopping wood is also good XP and easy to get rid of any excess stamina you have at the end of the day.

If you're going to bed with leftover stamina, you're losing out on XP.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Just lol if you aren't falling over backwards in some unknown corner of the world instead of going to bed.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I wish there had been a punishment for not going to bed. If they implement it now, the complaints would be wild.

I would actually be really into Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life's sleep system here. You could go to bed whenever and you'll sleep as much as you need to recover your stamina. You would later get an alarm clock you could use to force yourself up at an earlier time at the cost of that stamina you would have otherwise acquired. It encouraged you to consider how much work you put in that day and determine how much sleep you needed for your activities the next day.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Everyone knows dried apples, yeah? You have unlimited stamina in this game.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
People like the chill nature of the game. Now excuse me while I collapse from exhaustion excavating some long abandoned culvert full of tennis rackets and springs hundreds of miles from my home.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I added that mod that lets me stack items to 99k to save on having a million chests, and there's also an option to turn up your artefact vaccuum radius in the ruins. Out of curiosity I turned it to 99x and as soon as I stepped into a ruin I sucked up like every artefact in the place. Is it cheating? Totally. But drat, that's a huge QoL improvement for me since I really don't enjoy the tedium of digging for artefacts.

Edit:
Just got the factory and at first it's a bit overwhelming thinking about the transition of resources, etc. But it should be an overall improvement, right?

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 17, 2019

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

am i missing something about the factory? it takes time to produce poo poo that used to be instant. it seems worse than the previous method

i wasnt really struggling with time or resources. is the difficulty of any given commission going to explode by two orders of magnitude? because i cant really see how obliterating my storage organization in exchange for this insane throughput is going to matter unless im like, building a nuclear power plant or something

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 19, 2019

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Verviticus posted:

am i missing something about the factory? it takes time to produce poo poo that used to be instant. it seems worse than the previous method
It takes less time to produce stuff that wasn't instant. And you can have both going at the same time. And you can have multiples of both going at the same time.
It's master of throughput at a minimum of space.

And there's nothing more instant than having whatever you wanted to make already made beforehand.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

yeah but like... is my next project a new town from scratch or the great wall of portia? cause the previous method took about 30 minutes out of every day and was already trivially handling the throughput required. the only time i struggled to do all the story commissions + normal is when they said "ok, now make the bridge entirely by yourself in 5 days"

i guess i just dont see why unless the game gets drastically harder

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Well shiiiiiit. Just got hit by a game breaking bug. I can't build planter boxes because I don't have the planter planbook. My inventory must have been full when I got the quest and it dropped the book. The quest also timed out or never really started as it's no longer in my journal. WHatsherface thinks that the quest is ongoing and won't do poo poo for me.

I looked it up and the devs know this is an issue. Guess it's time to restart. On the plus side I can start whooping Higgins rear end right from day 1 instead of wasting 10 days figuring poo poo out.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
One thing I will say really bothers me about the factory is that the auto assembly platform can't construct from base products if no intermediary ones are available, like the factory can with pretty much everything else. It's dumb and means I have to ultimately spend more time between starting an assembly, stopping it because I don't have the all the stuff, opening the factory and building that stuff, taking it out of delivery storage once finished to put into production storage, then restarting assembly and waiting because it's not instant like assembling by hand.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Canuckistan posted:

Well shiiiiiit. Just got hit by a game breaking bug. I can't build planter boxes because I don't have the planter planbook. My inventory must have been full when I got the quest and it dropped the book. The quest also timed out or never really started as it's no longer in my journal. WHatsherface thinks that the quest is ongoing and won't do poo poo for me.

I looked it up and the devs know this is an issue. Guess it's time to restart. On the plus side I can start whooping Higgins rear end right from day 1 instead of wasting 10 days figuring poo poo out.

Can you use a large planter box from the church? Just a couple data discs and you get the jumbo planter.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Shinjobi posted:

Can you use a large planter box from the church? Just a couple data discs and you get the jumbo planter.

i might be wrong but i think it has to be the exact specific item they want, even if there's alternatives that are basically the same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I thought the factory was a downgrade at first but once I figured it out and threw everything into the factory storage, I have that making everything I could ever need for me while I now spend all day macking on anything with a pulse in town and being the Jim to Higgins' Dwight. The factory is love. The factory is light.