Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

“Alexa, model the rise of Islam without depicting the Prophet Mohammed”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fister Roboto posted:

Is that like when the kaiser stole the word twenty?

:dudsmile:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm not sure how well Paradox would do with the rise of modern religions in general. The closest they get is the protestant reformation, but even that wasn't as explosive as the rise of Christianity and then Islam. And then there's some other upstarts that never got so far in the mix like Mithra.

Then again, the rise of Buddhism is well-within the timeline, so who knows how any of that will go.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

The closest they get is the protestant reformation, but even that wasn't as explosive as the rise of Christianity

:confused:

Christianity was a slow burn from Augustus all the way to Constantine. Explosive it was not

e: Like, the death of Christ until the battle of the Milvian Bridge is 270 years. 95 Theses to, say, Henry the VIII annulling his marriage is less than 20.

Arrhythmia fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 16, 2019

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I hope the Diolkos will be represented in imperator in some way, but I imagine it won't be. It was a neat innovation but it doesn't seem to be very well known (I expected to see someone at least mentioning it on the paradox forums, but I guess not).

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

It's like getting angry that the days of the week in Dutch (and English) mostly refer to the Germanic pantheon. Stop forcing Woden down my throat :argh:

Quakers number the days of the week and months of the year for this reason. At this point it's mostly just a tradition though rather than any real opposition to things named after pagan deities.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Don’t forget to tell them that some people don’t acknowledge him as their “Lord” e.g. a Jewish professor probably wouldn’t want to say anno domini.

ANNO DOMINI BEATS DOT COM

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Arrhythmia posted:

Yeah, lots of people. Pretty much anyone who doesn't have an interest in history uses BC/AD in my experience.

In my experience people who don't have an interest in history never say Anno Domini because if you're not interested in history dates before 1900 never come up in conversation, and nobody says "I was born in 1980 Anno Domini", they just say "I was born in 1980".

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
When I was a kid I was convinced AD stood for after death.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Reveilled posted:

nobody says "I was born in 1980 Anno Domini", they just say "I was born in 1980".

Of course not, I exclusively use the sexagenary cycle when referring to my birth year, you have to rely on context when figuring out which 辛未 I'm talking about.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

verbal enema posted:

ANNO DOMINI BEATS DOT COM

Sega does what Anno Don't

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

:confused:

Christianity was a slow burn from Augustus all the way to Constantine. Explosive it was not

e: Like, the death of Christ until the battle of the Milvian Bridge is 270 years. 95 Theses to, say, Henry the VIII annulling his marriage is less than 20.

Birth of Jan Hus to the Peace of Westphalia is 279 years.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Birth of Jan Hus to the Peace of Westphalia is 279 years.

Okay then the Protestant reformation also wasn't explosive. That's not what I'm arguing dude.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah that’s a bad example as the Protestant stuff was also a rather slow build.

Once it exploded it loving exploded but it was a WW1 situation more than an Islam thing.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Cynic Jester posted:

Yup.

-infinity to -1BC ??? Jesus' life ??? 1AD to present

Imagine programming that.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Is not wanting to deal with Jesus the reason that the game ends when it does? I was looking forward to getting to my own Julian thing.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Eimi posted:

Is not wanting to deal with Jesus the reason that the game ends when it does? I was looking forward to getting to my own Julian thing.

it's probably because they want to make sure this era works before trying to tackle an era with a completely different dynamic (and also to sell expansions)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Eimi posted:

I think it's more not wanting to deal with the Empire but not having to deal with Jesus is a nice little side bonus to that.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
there's also a lesson learned from EU4, that players tend to lose interest in complicated history-based systems that come very late in a typical game. consider the amount of interest in EU4's holy roman empire versus the french revolution

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I think thats more about the enlightenment being half baked in eu, and the fact that you've generally blobbed out of control by then

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The same thing would happen in Imperator as Jesus and Empire would also be late game.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

The same thing would happen in Imperator as Jesus and Empire would also be late game.

:thunk:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah Plus it doesn’t help that Empire in general isn’t that much different than a republic game play wise. I’m not sure what it would even add.

Jesus has kind of a similar problem in that Christianity wasn’t a very big deal until it was so he would be born and then nothing would happen. You would maybe get some flavor text about weirdos in the east.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

A Dynamic Jesus System where somewhere in the world in the endgame a random carpenter/itinerant preacher suddenly has a bunch of followers and is being a nuisance.

The latest event you can get in the game is the news of their embarrassing execution and how you are sure that this will have no bearing on the course of history.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Dynamic Jesus Generation Algorithm here we come

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
prophecidural generated content

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The prophetic messiah Mithridates Chandragupta has come! An ascetic Pict wearing a shawl. It has a Book of Legends and squirms and fidgets. Beware it's radical ideas on man's relationship to the gods!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah Plus it doesn’t help that Empire in general isn’t that much different than a republic game play wise. I’m not sure what it would even add.

Jesus has kind of a similar problem in that Christianity wasn’t a very big deal until it was so he would be born and then nothing would happen. You would maybe get some flavor text about weirdos in the east.

If you want to alt-hist it, there were a lot of would-be Messiahs in the 1st century BC. Having an event chain fire at increasing frequency until someone becomes the actual founder of a new Abrahamic faith could be interesting, doubly so if Imperator has something like CK2's supernatural events option where one of them - and not necessarily the one that founds the faith - really is the Son of God.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Funky Valentine posted:

The prophetic messiah Mithridates Chandragupta has come! An ascetic Pict wearing a shawl. It has a Book of Legends and squirms and fidgets. Beware it's radical ideas on man's relationship to the gods!

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Beefeater1980 posted:

“Alexa, model the rise of Islam without depicting the Prophet Mohammed”

That... wouldn't actually be so hard. Sure, Muhammad united the Arabs and instituted Islam, but all the expansion outside the peninsula, i.e. the cool gameplay-making parts where the Caliphs kick the Sassanids and Byzantines around and then game-of-thrones each other, happened after his death. So you'd just start Jihadi Sultans in 632.

...And I just realized that you'd have to choose to play as Ali or Abu Bakr, so maybe the idea of doing this without any controversy miiight be a no-go after all.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Does anyone christian or otherwise say anno domini unless they are literally performing mass (Spoiler: I don't know if you say that in mass)?

And yeah at first blush I thought it would be trivial to make the years count down rather than up, but really count the number of event timers and triggers in your average Paradox game that rely on a number going up and do you really want to have to be the person parsing all that code to make sure the equations are all backwards? Lots of unnecessary work.

The song BoB by Atlanta based rap group OutKast features the words Anno Domini

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Also they don't want to model the Roman Empire because the game systems to model the balance of power between the Roman Empire and the Sassanid Empire are entirely different from modeling all the random states during the Republican period. They might figure out some easy solution but what would you even do if you played as the Roman Empire?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Marry a horse, same as CK2.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Guildencrantz posted:

...And I just realized that you'd have to choose to play as Ali or Abu Bakr, so maybe the idea of doing this without any controversy miiight be a no-go after all.

If only Muhammad had specified multiple times that Ali was his successor and that had been written down in some kind of holy book...

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010
Coding dynamic Jesus will be good practice for when they need to code dynamic Marx.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Sampatrick posted:

Also they don't want to model the Roman Empire because the game systems to model the balance of power between the Roman Empire and the Sassanid Empire are entirely different from modeling all the random states during the Republican period. They might figure out some easy solution but what would you even do if you played as the Roman Empire?

Try to stop it falling apart every 40 years, same as running the HRE in CK2.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Barnaby Barnacle posted:

Coding dynamic Jesus will be good practice for when they need to code dynamic Marx.

Dynamic Jesus and Marx systems are the features I didn't know I needed until now.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Marx would be from a random German state in Vicky 2, wasn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Beamed posted:

Dynamic Jesus and Marx systems are the features I didn't know I needed until now.
Dynamic Marx almost necessitates an earlier start date for Vicky 2, since the real life guy was arguable already well on the path to becoming the man who'd write Das Kapital at the 1836 start date. Though I suppose you could make it so Marxism wasn't always the exact same ideology, as part of a more dynamic ideology system - maybe one where any given ideology has different strands that compete among each other and gain prestige (and thus support) based on the countries they dominate. Like historically, the ideology of the USSR came to dominate a lot of leftist thought for a while because the USSR was seen as a successful implementation of Marxist ideas.

Actually, that could be a neat mechanic, defining your own variant of an ideology* and then whichever countries adopted that would more easily fall into your sphere and just generally increase the prestige of your country. Seems like that'd be pretty in line with the focus of Victoria, having geopolitics and ideology shape each other in a way the player can take advantage of. Plus give them meaningful choices like trying to go it alone and remain true to their own ideals, or accept the dogma of another country in return for protection.

*Sorta like you can do Protestantism in EU4.