Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

They are going to use that 500 million to build metal gear aren’t they?

Les Politiciens Terribles

e: horrible snipe, have a sooky wintertime monti:

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
cool heres my possesed demon cavalier elliott

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Two Australian Chinese-language papers have dedicated their front pages to an open letter backing billionaire Huang Xiangmo, whose permanent residency was cancelled for reasons including character grounds in early February.

The letter, which appeared on the front pages of the Sing Tao Daily and Australian Chinese Daily and inside a third, the Daily Chinese Herald on Saturday, includes more than 120 community groups protesting the decision to effectively bar Mr Huang from Australia.

It says the Morrison governent's decision to cancel Mr Huang's residency is outrageous and calls for it to be overturned.

The letter, which appears to be a paid ad, marks a new escalation in Mr Huang's fight to have his residency reinstated.

Mr Huang quickly became an influential playerin Australia after moving here in 2011. He donated lavishly to both major parties and funded China-focussed initiatives at universities.

But Mr Huang, a former chairman of property development company Yuhu Group, has been stranded in Hong Kong since early February, when the Australian government denied his application for citizenship and cancelled his permanent residency.

That action was taken after the Australian Secret Intelligence Organisation (ASIO) said Mr Huang was "amenable to conducting acts of foreign interference".

The letter supporting Mr Huang, who is reported to be appealing the government's decision, is identical in each paper. It features a smiling photo of Mr Huang and text atop an image of the Australian flag.

The letter says Mr Huang is an innocent philanthropist and businessman, and that any member of the Chinese community in Australia could share his fate.

It goes on to say Australia's decision to cancel Mr Huang's residency will damage minority group's participation in politics and that members of the media and politicians have used information from the security services to demonise Mr Huang.

Kevin Carrico, a senior lecturer at Monash University and China expert, said Chinese Australians had no reason to worry about Mr Huang's predicament.

"There is an attempt to personalise it... but in reality I think most people recognise what happened to Huang Xiangmo has nothing to do with them," Dr Carrico said. "[Mr Huang] is just some rich guy with political connections who made a lot of mistakes."

But David Brophy, a senior lecturer in modern Chinese history at the University of Sydney, said the letter raised legitimate concerns.

"The letter rightly points out that this isn't just something that Chinese Australians need to be worried about," Dr Brophy said. "This is potentially a threat to immigrants from any country holding permanent residency.

"The idea that through a secretive process the minister could simply revoke permanent residency on vague character grounds diminishes significantly the protection afforded by permanent residency," Dr Brophy said.

Mr Huang has angrily denied he was an agent of Chinese Communist Party influence in Australia, calling Australia's actions those of a "giant baby".

There are 128 organisations listed as signatories to the letter.

Alex Joske, an Australian Strategic Policy Institute expert on Chinese Communist Party influence, said many of the signatories to the letter were linked to the United Front Work Department.

The United Front is an agency under the auspices of the Chinese Communist Party's Central Committee that aims to influence Chinese people living abroad and foreign elites to adopt Beijing's stance on important issues.

"Many of [the signatories to the letter] are actual member organisations of the Australian Council for the Promotion of the Peaceful Reunification of China," Mr Joske said of the pro-China group suspected of United Front links Mr Huang used to lead.

Mr Huang spectacularly fell out of favour in Australia after it was revealed he had stood next to then-senator Sam Dastyari as the Labor powerbroker made pro-China remarks on the South China Sea that contradicted his party's stance on the issue in 2016.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
https://twitter.com/rharris334/stat...216-p50y92.html

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

She's summoned up a spirited defense within the twitter thread

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
pretty funny when you to something stupid and make up a bad lie to cover it instead of just owning the failure

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Lol

The Liberal Party's federal vice president has become the subject of an internal complaint over a Young Liberals leadership contest, with claims she sought to malign candidates by suggesting they were transgender, progressive, or politicians' puppets.

In an email to the party's administrative committee, conservative warrior Karina Okotel has been accused of "malicious" behaviour by some sections of the Young Liberal movement, who also warned that having "middle-aged activists" politicking in such a manner could drive away membership and undercut the party's chances at the federal election.

The complaint, seen by The Sunday Age, claims that numerous concerns had been raised from Young Liberals about "Karina's attempt to impugn the reputation of candidates she opposed".

"Some of the more concerning comments she is purported to have made were: 1. that we were puppets of parliamentarians; 2. that some of us were progressive, left wing, moderate, or other such terminology; and 3. that a transgendered member of the Liberal Party was running on our ticket – the implication being that we shouldn't be elected because some of us were supportive of gender-diverse membership and the Safe Schools program," Mr Young writes.

"The things above are malicious, divisive and damaging to the Young Liberal Movement ... It drives away membership. The Young Liberals should be for young people, not middle-aged activists."

She is a prominent opponent of same-sex marriage, Safe Schools and, more recently, the Andrews government's plan to stamp out gay "conversion" therapy on the grounds that it is "an attack on freedom".

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Imagine being the Vice President of the liberal party right now and thinking the best use of your time is to snipe at student politicians in your own god damned party :psyduck:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Imagine being a female liberal anything

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

Imagine being the Vice President of the liberal party right now and thinking the best use of your time is to snipe at student politicians in your own god damned party :psyduck:

It's nice of her to let these confused young people know that they are wasting their time on a party that doesn't align with their values and is hostile to their entire generation.

Moon Atari fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 16, 2019

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

Imagine being too lovely a person for the young libs.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

GotLag posted:

If that were the case he'd have made a joke

You sir are the Ben Stein of this dead comedy forum.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Or you could say they are getting a head start in weeding out factional enemies for the next time they get in power.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
So given that he's not an Australian Citizen, could a hypothetical good future government use these foreign interference laws against Rupert Murdoch? Or is it only foreigners that interfere with our politics on behalf of another nation state?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Not sure if real or not.. but hey

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I don’t know if I’m imagining it but it feels like the potato has been kinda quiet given rest of the party has been carrying on about boats all week. I’d have thought he’d be the loudest

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
temple guardian

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

drunkill posted:

Not sure if real or not.. but hey

That profile exists. Used to work for broadspectrum too

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

gay picnic defence posted:

I don’t know if I’m imagining it but it feels like the potato has been kinda quiet given rest of the party has been carrying on about boats all week. I’d have thought he’d be the loudest

Maybe he can hear the knives being sharpened.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Endman posted:

Maybe he can hear the peeler being sharpened.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

gay picnic defence posted:

Nah he posted a 7 tweet barrage against Barry Cassidy which he didn’t thread together because olds don’t know how to use social media.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/peterdutton_mp/status/1096584648115847168?s=21

It appears he’s deleted 1/7 but left the rest? Or maybe he hasn’t but I couldn’t find 1/7.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Scott Morrison has recorded a video message aimed directly at people smugglers to deter them from coming to Australia by sea.

The two-minute video is expected to be translated into 15 languages and aired in 10 countries considered asylum-seeker hot spots, after medical evacuation changes cleared federal parliament last week.

"Make no mistake, if you attempt to come to Australia illegally by boat, you will not succeed," the prime minister says.

It comes after Mr Morrison said "people smugglers know they won't get through me and Peter Dutton" but would "have a crack" if Bill Shorten became prime minister.

That message from the prime minister, who is trying to highlight differences between the Coalition and Labor on border security amid fears of an increase in boats.

Mr Morrison said the government had "increased the strength, resource and capability again of Operation Sovereign Borders" after the medevac legislation passed parliament this week against his wishes.

The prime minister said he had been "forced" to act on Home Affairs advice to reopen the detention facility at Christmas Island to "deal with that decision" on the medevac bill.

"Now, I can't describe to you the fury that is within me that I have to now go spend money on opening a centre that I didn't need to open a week ago," he told reporters in Somerset, Tasmania on Saturday.

Advice released by the government said the cost of reopening Christmas Island would be more than $1 billion over several years.

Mr Morrison made reference to a report in the Sydney Morning Herald about people smugglers sending a surge of boats to test Labor's resolve.

He said the people smugglers "are preparing to do that as we speak".

"That's not me saying it. That's them saying it. That's people smugglers going back up the chain to Pakistan. We have other people who are ready to put boats again out of Indonesia talking openly about it."

Mr Shorten brushed off the prime minister's attack, telling reporters: "Under a Labor government we'll have a ring of steel around this country."

"We will make sure that our ADF, our air assets, sea assets, our Australian Border Force have whatever resources they need to defeat people smugglers," he said in Melbourne.

The opposition leader said "it is possible in this country to have strong borders and the humane treatment of people within our care".

Mr Shorten said the government was so worried about boats, but "in the last four years alone 64,000 people have arrived by air claiming asylum and many of those claims are found to be unmeritorious".

"What's happened is this government has stopped the boats and now they're catching the plane," he said.

The Home Affairs Department website shows 27,931 protection visa applications were made last financial year by plane arrivals.

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice
Definitely DO NOT try to come to Australia. But if you did it would be completely Labor's fault.

Edit: https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/young-liberals-booted-from-party-for-lewd-comments-about-women-20190216-p50y8f.html

Steve Holt! fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 17, 2019

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Dude McAwesome posted:

https://twitter.com/peterdutton_mp/status/1096584648115847168?s=21

It appears he’s deleted 1/7 but left the rest? Or maybe he hasn’t but I couldn’t find 1/7.

Look what you made me do:

https://twitter.com/PeterDutton_MP/status/1096583454655864832
https://twitter.com/PeterDutton_MP/status/1096583700932845569
https://twitter.com/PeterDutton_MP/status/1096583900493533184
https://twitter.com/PeterDutton_MP/status/1096584067607232512
https://twitter.com/PeterDutton_MP/status/1096584277079207938
https://twitter.com/PeterDutton_MP/status/1096584397208268800
https://twitter.com/PeterDutton_MP/status/1096584648115847168

#factsmatter

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Tired: accepting interviews on news programmes like Insiders and 7:30

Wired: turning down all interviews and yelling at people on twitter instead

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I'm starting full time work this week after being on Newstart for about 3 months. Is there any BS I'm gonna have to do deal with from Centrelink or my JSP or will they leave me alone if I just cancel my payments? I didn't get the job through my JSP. I don't care about sacrificing my working credit (which is barely anything) if it means I don't have to interact with them anymore.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Laughed at this from Bolta:

quote:

I can't remember how many copies of Worth Fighting For, my latest book of columns, have been sold so far in a mainly on-line push.

Between 20,000 and 27,000, I think, although I haven't checked in quite a while.
That would mean every Sky News viewer bought his book, but reports a while after its release suggest 716 retail copies sold nationally, hence his emphasis on the unverifiable but definitely true online push that pushed 20,000+ copies in defiance of marketing trends.

Bolt compared this definitely true rough figure to recent books from ABC people to humbly prove he'd be equal 1st if online sales were counted and if there wasn't a leftist bookstore boycott against his truth. The ABC figures also don't count online sales, but uh the people have spoken. Omitted from his selections from the list is the 75th placed bestseller, Battlelines.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 17, 2019

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

hooman posted:

How the gently caress did we not know this insane monster was running our offshore murder camps until now.
You didn't know about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Quaedvlieg ?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

snoremac posted:

I'm starting full time work this week after being on Newstart for about 3 months. Is there any BS I'm gonna have to do deal with from Centrelink or my JSP or will they leave me alone if I just cancel my payments? I didn't get the job through my JSP. I don't care about sacrificing my working credit (which is barely anything) if it means I don't have to interact with them anymore.

Just keep reporting income until your Centrelink payment drops to zero, then forget about it.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

GotLag posted:

Just keep reporting income until your Centrelink payment drops to zero, then forget about it.
This is what I plan on, but I've read a couple of horror stories about JSPs contacting employers, so I really don't want to give them their details. If they demand them, I'll just tell them to buzz off and lose the working credit. It's only a couple hundred.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
They will try and get you to sign paperwork to say they got you the job, it's one of the things they get a bonus for.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Iirc I reported income for four weeks until someone from centerlink called me and asked if I wanted to cancel newstart. Didn't have any problems, but my JSP was Not Insane.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 17, 2019

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Since you found your own job you should tally up all of your time that they wasted and give them an invoice for it. Seems only fair since you did their job for them.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
The last time I was on centerlink I just stopped answering calls from them until they just took me off for non compliance. It was far easier than talking to them.

Granted that was a decade ago.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Can someone please post the photo of the bomb blast overseas with a “you’ll never be settled here” poster in the background? I can’t find it.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

The only thing a JSP has actually done for me the first time I was on newstart was treat me like scum for not wanting to ignore my IT diploma I got mere weeks ago and become a fruit picker.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Anidav posted:

The two-minute video is expected to be translated into 15 languages and aired in 10 countries considered asylum-seeker hot spots, after medical evacuation changes cleared federal parliament last week.

"Make no mistake, if you attempt to come to Australia illegally by boat, you will not succeed," the prime minister says.

Wtf he already did this when he became immigration minister, he's a weirdo who just gets off on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Periphery posted:

Since you found your own job you should tally up all of your time that they wasted and give them an invoice for it. Seems only fair since you did their job for them.
This is the extent of my involvement with them:
- First time I showed up for a monthly appointment my case worker was on holiday and they told me to return next month.
- Second time we spoke for ten minutes. They suggested I focus on retail jobs since office jobs typically go to women.
- I got offered TWO office jobs I found myself over the next month. The end!

They were admittedly better than the last lot I dealt with a couple of years ago who aggressively scheduled "job search" appointments, accidentally suspended my payments twice, treated me like poo poo when I was sick and who scored me a job interview with Serco and a dodgy guy who was gonna pay me below minimum wage.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 17, 2019