Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

What do you suppose my options are for avoiding long haul flights?

What, you don't swim from NZ to Australia or South America? Wimp!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Crakkerjakk posted:

Yeah, US trains mostly suck, sadly.

We owe that to automobile lobbyists and manufacturers that bought the train lines and dismantled them during the guilded age to force people to buy cars.

Vriess fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Feb 16, 2019

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Borrow the Devonport ferry on your day off

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

The big problem with UK trains is unless you book way in advance for a particular train, and only that train, it's normally WAY cheaper to fly. It isn't unknown for me to pay more for the train ticker to and from the airport to be more expensive than the flights.

Want to head into London for a night out? Cheaper to drive and get a hotel than the train.

The sooner they guillotine Richard Branson the better.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

DoktorLoken posted:

There's no reason why there shouldn't be a high speed network centered around Chicago though, it's been studied (by France's high speed rail operator) and it has a similar population distribution to much of Europe in terms of city sizes and distances between them. The East Coast already has an extensive train network that just needs modernization for the most part.

California and the PAC NW should have their own networks as well.

e:

Think of Chicago as being Paris in this case in terms of rail.

Sure, I'm not saying that it's due to some immutable fact of the US being the US. We could be way better. (And Paris Subway is freaking awesome). But rail in the US is generally more expensive and way slower than flying, unfortunately. I think often due to freight having priority over passenger rail, among other factors? I'm not enough of a train guy to know all the details, I just know getting around Germany by train is easy as poo poo.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

TSApre, only bring what fits in a backpack, always fly high. Having to travel frequently got this poo poo down for me.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

EBB posted:

TSApre, only bring what fits in a backpack, always fly high. Having to travel frequently got this poo poo down for me.

You can't TSA pre-check as an unwashed foreigner :colbert:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I usually get sent to the x-ray machine if I fly to the states. And they almost always go through my bags

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

You can't TSA pre-check as an unwashed foreigner :colbert:

Canadians can! They can also get Global Entry.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Canadians are Americans, DUH

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

EBB posted:

Almost this, but check bags. Air travel improves remarkably when you don't need to fight for space in the overhead compartment (or sacrifice legroom).

For everyone still in the US military, get an American Express platinum card. The ~$500/yr fee is waived, and AmEx eats the cost of in-flight food, booze, luggage, etc.

Edit: and the open bar/open buffet at centurion lounges is nothing to scoff at.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Arc Light posted:

AmEx eats the cost of in-flight food, booze, luggage, etc.

How are they not bankrupt from this alone? :stare:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Arc Light posted:

Almost this, but check bags. Air travel improves remarkably when you don't need to fight for space in the overhead compartment (or sacrifice legroom).

For everyone still in the US military, get an American Express platinum card. The ~$500/yr fee is waived, and AmEx eats the cost of in-flight food, booze, luggage, etc.

Edit: and the open bar/open buffet at centurion lounges is nothing to scoff at.

Eh, I have trust issues with airlines and my luggage. If it's a week-ish or less I can fit everything I need in my carry on + laptop bag. gently caress giving those guys a chance to lose my poo poo, again, even with built-in identification windows that have my name, home town and cell number in them.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Amex traveler card: Free access to centurion clubs where you can get free food and booze and even manicures if you really want. Usually something like $500/year in fees but free for welfare queens. Not sure about vet welfare queens.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

Eh, I have trust issues with airlines and my luggage. If it's a week-ish or less I can fit everything I need in my carry on + laptop bag. gently caress giving those guys a chance to lose my poo poo, again, even with built-in identification windows that have my name, home town and cell number in them.

If you're traveling for business, it's also annoying to have to spend an additional 45 minutes waiting for baggage that could be spent getting on with the rest of your life.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

How are they not bankrupt from this alone? :stare:

$200 limit and you have to pick one airline to apply it to for the year.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vriess posted:

We owe that to automobile lobbyists and manufacturers that bought the train lines and dismantled them during the guilded age to force people to buy cars.

FYI, the "gilded age" refers to the late 19th century. It is a parody of "golden age," implying that the shiny appearance of wealth and progress was laid over a cheap substrate of corruption and social ill.

The guilded age would have been the high middle ages to the early modern period.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Fallom posted:

$200 limit and you have to pick one airline to apply it to for the year.

Chase Sapphire Reserve is $400 a year but you get a $300 travel credit that's automatically applied to any travel expense which can be airlines, hotels, buying gas, etc. plus a bunch of airport lounge access.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Vriess posted:

Didn't have trains in the age of Guilds
Didn't have cars in the Gilded Age
Didn't have lobbyists in the 50s
Didn't have a middle class wealthy enough to own cars and large enough to affect the railways by its purchases until the 50s
Didn't have to force the middle class to buy cars
And if history had stopped in 1940, we'd be bitching and moaning about train line monopolies, not building new branch lines or closing old branch lines, crappy seating, loud and unreliable equipment, and predatory pricing.

I miss trains, though.

In 60 years we'll be taking about privacy and personal interaction in the same way.

e: what not-stultus said

joat mon fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 16, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Vriess posted:

Not really? It's not as though Union Pacific or Sante Fe were any slouches in their own right. It's mostly to do with interstate highways and domestic air travel simply being cheaper or more profitable alternatives to rail in all but a handful of locals, and the US rail network prioritizing freight over passenger travel as a result.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

joat mon posted:

In 60 years we'll be taking about privacy and personal interaction in the same way.

The current internet already feels shittier than the 2000s internet. And remember winamp? Imagine going back in time and telling yourself that's the best a music player will ever be on a computer. It's so wild to see everyday consumer products get worse over time. The entire point of our economic system is that that's never supposed to happen.

On privacy specifically, I think once people realize how bad it is, they'll either rise up and force a change, or we'll become a fully totalitarian society. Right now 90% of people have no idea the level of surveillance they're under. The really amazing thing is we've built this nightmare system not for social control or anything else from some sci fi, but simply to deliver ads and ad data.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Best Friends posted:

The current internet already feels shittier than the 2000s internet. And remember winamp? Imagine going back in time and telling yourself that's the best a music player will ever be on a computer. It's so wild to see everyday consumer products get worse over time. The entire point of our economic system is that that's never supposed to happen.

On privacy specifically, I think once people realize how bad it is, they'll either rise up and force a change, or we'll become a fully totalitarian society. Right now 90% of people have no idea the level of surveillance they're under. The really amazing thing is we've built this nightmare system not for social control or anything else from some sci fi, but simply to deliver ads and ad data.

MusicBee is better than winamp was imo

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I bitched about it in the chat thread but Facebook has built enough of a shadow profile on me that they've figured out my internet bullshit email address and are sending me regional group suggestions. To the best of my knowledge (as I've made actual effort throughout the years) there should be zero cross pollination.

People don't care though. Privacy is dead.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

hey zuckerberg give my shadow dick a shadow blowjob

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Can you imagine actually going through life right now caring about corporate privacy

That ship has long since sailed; no point in torturing yourself. The best you're going to get is locking down your stuff so your boss can't blackmail you over your Facebook photos.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I like the idea of trains but when I lived in Italy I discovered I hated them for anything further than regional travel. It was nice jumping on a train to go to Venice or Padua but it was typically way way faster and also cheaper to take a plane.

Maybe it's the fact I've lived most of my life in the shadow of one major airline hub/international airport or another makes it a different experience.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Fallom posted:

Can you imagine actually going through life right now caring about corporate privacy

That ship has long since sailed; no point in torturing yourself. The best you're going to get is locking down your stuff so your boss can't blackmail you over your Facebook photos.

I don't care if people willingly use services that surrenders their privacy. I care if people willingly use services that surrenders my privacy. Which I guess is the whole point of the EU privacy laws and poo poo.

I mean in my case it's a real easy fix, just block anything from a facebook email address. It's not like I actually use any social media so it's not something I have to be directly concerned about.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Vasudus posted:

I bitched about it in the chat thread but Facebook has built enough of a shadow profile on me that they've figured out my internet bullshit email address and are sending me regional group suggestions. To the best of my knowledge (as I've made actual effort throughout the years) there should be zero cross pollination.

People don't care though. Privacy is dead.

No there was an article assuring me that 2018 was the year privacy fought back

https://thespinoff.co.nz/partner/internetnz/privacy/07-02-2019/how-2018-was-the-year-privacy-fought-back/

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Crossposting because of this extremely current event: My boss ran into Ivanka Trump while drinking

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Jarmak posted:

I like the idea of trains but when I lived in Italy I discovered I hated them for anything further than regional travel. It was nice jumping on a train to go to Venice or Padua but it was typically way way faster and also cheaper to take a plane.

Maybe it's the fact I've lived most of my life in the shadow of one major airline hub/international airport or another makes it a different experience.

Trenitalia is garbage.

The rest of Western European rail travel is where it's at

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Trenitalia is garbage.

The rest of Western European rail travel is where it's at

And my experiences on Trenitalia last September was miles better then the equivalent in much of the US.

But I live in Central FL, there’s no way I have a hope of train travel in the foreseeable future.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Not really? It's not as though Union Pacific or Sante Fe were any slouches in their own right. It's mostly to do with interstate highways and domestic air travel simply being cheaper or more profitable alternatives to rail in all but a handful of locals, and the US rail network prioritizing freight over passenger travel as a result.

At the same time, our environmentalists stare wistfully at the USA at how much freight is moved by train, compared to here in Europe where a lot bigger share of freight is moved by trucks through the streets.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Vriess posted:

that isn't what happened. the gilded age was in the 1870s-1890s and passenger rail failed in the 1950s/1960s.

auto manufacturers bought up tram lines and converted them to bus lines. that's what youre thinking of. read 'the great american railroad revolution' to understand what led to the current structure.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Crossposting because of this extremely current event: My boss ran into Ivanka Trump while drinking

Looks like he didn't hit her hard enough.
:dadjoke::rimshot:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

You live on an island and don't have to deal with US carriers or TSA.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Have you looked into the sport of ballooning?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

February Current Events: Planes, Trains and Automobiles

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Torrannor posted:

At the same time, our environmentalists stare wistfully at the USA at how much freight is moved by train, compared to here in Europe where a lot bigger share of freight is moved by trucks through the streets.

European freight trains are, I don't know how else to put it, adorable because they're like 10 cars long.

I think part of it is that the US' manufacturing and transportation infrastructure makes intermodal freight very easy to deploy and cheap to operate vs. moving it long distances via truck.

psydude fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 16, 2019

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

sharknado slashfic posted:

February Current Events: Planes, Trains and Autistmobiles

Ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012