Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Interesting place to put the beer barrel

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

beep-beep car is go posted:

Horten, Jack Northrop. What is it about flying wings that make the people who get into them, get into them. It's like they get obsessed long past the design making sense..

they are pretty

long loong plaaaane

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
747SP is best 747. It’s so kawaii

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

i am a big fan of the 737-200 for the same reason

squee :3:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

It’s soooo cute

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Sagebrush posted:

I saw a private -200 on the ramp in SLC once a couple of years ago and about lost my poo poo. My FO looked at me like I was crazy.

JT8Ds :3:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The original 737-100 was even shorter. Only 85 seats in a 2 class setup.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

hobbesmaster posted:

The original 737-100 was even shorter. Only 85 seats in a 2 class setup.

https://m.planespotters.net/airframe/Boeing/737/N515NA-NASA/EBJkUabQ

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Best aviation vlogger hangs out with one of the coolest aviators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7rkIPPjfLw

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Ola posted:

Best aviation vlogger hangs out with one of the coolest aviators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7rkIPPjfLw
I can’t believe I’ve flown one of those :angel:

What did they mean when they said the T-6 made them better pilots? As a trainer I would expect it to have fairly mild handling characteristics. Is it something like the airplane is so neutral that any mistakes are 100% your fault and not the plane?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Whoa weird, I have no recollection of those painted in that livery. They couldn't have been done up like that for more than a year or two at the most. I never flew or worked on them so that probably had a lot to do with it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

david_a posted:

What did they mean when they said the T-6 made them better pilots? As a trainer I would expect it to have fairly mild handling characteristics. Is it something like the airplane is so neutral that any mistakes are 100% your fault and not the plane?

Based on his other T-6 videos, and zero experience, I think it's that it's very docile when everything is right, but lets you know very early when things aren't quite right. The gear/flap mechanism is a bit complex and it will float or bounce quite badly if you don't nail the landing speed. But perhaps things happen quite a bit slower than fighter speed, so you get a taste of how bad things can be without your head just being instantly bitten off.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Ola posted:

Based on his other T-6 videos, and zero experience, I think it's that it's very docile when everything is right, but lets you know very early when things aren't quite right. The gear/flap mechanism is a bit complex and it will float or bounce quite badly if you don't nail the landing speed. But perhaps things happen quite a bit slower than fighter speed, so you get a taste of how bad things can be without your head just being instantly bitten off.
From looking around I think that’s right. Landing it smoothly is apparently very challenging. Unlike a high-strung fighter it won’t kill you if you screw up (within reason) just make you look really bad.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

Yeah, my understanding is that it's this. While you want your early-stage trainers (J-3 Cub for primary, Stearman/Valiant for basic) to be rock steady, docile and almost self-rescuing so that kack-handed flying by inexperienced students won't crash the plane and kill the cadet and instructor, by the time you get to advanced training you need something that actually shows up errors and needs correct technique and flying by the book. You also need to start introducing students to the ways that a 1000+hp fighter can bite. So the T-6 falls into the 'easy to fly, difficult to fly well' category. The control response/weights were deliberately designed to mimic fighter aircraft, apart from the elevator power which was kept fairly low so cadets wouldn't pull the tail off by over-controlling during high-G aerobatics. Start getting a T-6 outside of its zone, or using the wrong techniques and procedures, and it will be very obvious to both the student and the instructor that you're messing up, but you won't endanger the aircraft.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

747-8F is scary quiet on takeoff roll. Ditto the 737MAX.

Bombardier Global Jets, on the other hand, are chest-punch level of bassy.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Finger Prince posted:

Whoa weird, I have no recollection of those painted in that livery. They couldn't have been done up like that for more than a year or two at the most. I never flew or worked on them so that probably had a lot to do with it.

I think only a few were ever painted in the full Air Canada livery; most of those -200s were in the hybrid Canadian/Air Canada paint, until they all went to Zip and were painted bright pretty colours in 2002.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny Nox posted:

747-8F is scary quiet on takeoff roll. Ditto the 737MAX.

Bombardier Global Jets, on the other hand, are chest-punch level of bassy.

I disagree on the 7max if you’re seated in the back few rows. You feel that poo poo in your chest.

I was confusing the max with the 800/900 United runs on CLE-SFO.

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 16, 2019

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Jealous Cow posted:

I disagree on the 7max if you’re seated in the back few rows. You feel that poo poo in your chest.

The max with the Leap engines is notably quieter than the 800/900 with the old CFM56.

The last few rows in the 800/900 are next level loud.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

No dog don't chew on plane.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

e.pilot posted:

The max with the Leap engines is notably quieter than the 800/900 with the old CFM56.

The last few rows in the 800/900 are next level loud.

You know what you’re right. For some reason I thought United was running the max on CLE-SFO but they aren’t. It’s 800/900 and it’s loud as gently caress.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

If you have your back turned and earmuffs on, a 747-8F can literally sneak up on you.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Jealous Cow posted:

You know what you’re right. For some reason I thought United was running the max on CLE-SFO but they aren’t. It’s 800/900 and it’s loud as gently caress.

The first time I sat in the back on one of those I couldn’t believe how loud it was. The 737 is too drat long.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

e.pilot posted:

The first time I sat in the back on one of those I couldn’t believe how loud it was. The 737 is too drat long.

Takeoff throttle makes my noise canceling headphones give up and just shut off lol

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

On the other hand the last time I flew in a 737-800 I was forward of the intake and the loudest sound was buzzsaw fan noise. Not sure how it compares to other airliners but it was noticeably louder than the 757 I was on same trip.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

smooth jazz posted:

If you have your back turned and earmuffs on, a 747-8F can literally sneak up on you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jxcSY1AwrM

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Yikes I'm amazed that guy lived. I find it hard to believe that was him hours, rather than months later.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m guessing the engine controller probably shut it down very fast once air flow was slowed and it’s a long inlet.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I think his helmet for pulled into the compressor, and that's what helped shut the engine down.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
IIRC in that case his cranial (helmet, earpro and goggles combo) got sucked off and went through the engine, which destroyed the engine and made it shut down real quicklike.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

tinybois

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Wingnut Ninja posted:

IIRC in that case his cranial (helmet, earpro and goggles combo) got sucked off and went through the engine, which destroyed the engine and made it shut down real quicklike.

:grin:

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

This CNN article about the demise of the A380 took a weird turn.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

david_a posted:

BalloonFish wrote an essay on pilot training through WWII with an emphasis on the T‐6 that you might find interesting.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

This CNN article about the demise of the A380 took a weird turn.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

smooth jazz posted:

Qantas 380 did that to me once. I was upwind and had my back turned, turned around and jeeezus where did that come from!

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

azflyboy posted:

I think his helmet for pulled into the compressor, and that's what helped shut the engine down.

More like that's what alerted the pilot something was very wrong. The J52 turbojet fortunately has stationary inlet guide vanes that kept the dude from hitting the bass o matic. After walking around an A-6 Intruder up close you couldn't pay me enough to hook the front gear up to the cat. That intake is realllly really close and supposedly it had a bit of a habit of grabbing you if you weren't careful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OswpNAH9nrk

Hats off to those guys.

The A-7 had a similar reputation with no IGVs.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Platystemon posted:

BalloonFish wrote an essay on pilot training through WWII with an emphasis on the T‐6 that you might find interesting.
I did, thanks

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m guessing the engine controller probably shut it down very fast once air flow was slowed and it’s a long inlet.

Engine Controller? That's an A-6. That's steam engine technology, at best. I guarantee that the engines shutdown was a combination of poo poo from that dude on deck. (Helmet, goggles, pen, gloves, likely actual poop..) hurting the engine, and the sudden vacuum causing a compressor stall, and that engine making some really seriously upset motions.

... *waits for someone to tell him he's wrong..*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yep. After his belt hooked on the lip of the intake.