Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Does she have some sort of status effect? I don't recognize the stuff floating around her head at all.

Also who knew bosses wee even vulnerable to status effects in FFIX. I definitely did not.

slow and blind, it looks like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

That would be Blind and yeah a surprising number of bosses in IX are actually vulnerable to statuses.

My favorite stupid thing is that when you use a Tent in battle there's a random chance to get "Bitten by Poison/Blind/Silence Snake" and it just so happens that Gizmaluke is vulnerable to Blind & Silence. Getting both on him completely nullifies his ability to do anything to you so using a Tent on him at the start of the fight is actually a legit strategy so you can spam Steal forever until you get the stuff.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It works on Kefkas dragon that gards the Lifa tree

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the extra insomnia content in FFXV is needlessly intrusive busywork and I wish it hadn’t been added

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

cock hero flux posted:

you could replace zidane, kuja, and garland with solid, liquid, and solidus and the plot and dynamics would basically not change

Does that make Steiner Raiden then?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Barudak posted:

It works on Kefkas dragon that gards the Lifa tree
I'm pretty sure I never made it past the fight with the dragon when I played IX many years ago. Would've been good to know you could cheese it, although I probably would've gotten clobbered by the rest of the bosses on disc 4 anyway because I was underleveled, underequipped, and just stupid in general. For example, I don't think I ever even realized FFIX had armor that could resist or absorb elemental spells since the game only tells you about those abilities in the item descriptions... which I never read and just looked at the stats. :downs:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I totaly forgot this is the 20th anniversary of Final Fantasy VIII, too. I was more focused on Chroo Cross and replaying it. But now I think on it....
-both released in 1999
-both from Square
-both on the PS1
-both pretty iconic in spite of being fairly controversial
-both follow-ups to incredibly popular games which probably made the criticisms all the more harsh
-both probably tried too many things and subsequently failed a lot of them.

CC is still a much better game in every area I can think of.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Oh man, a race to the bottom! :dance:

I'd replay FF8 over CC any day of the week, I prefer batshit to weird.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I just finished up TAY as I was torturing friends with it (and counting how many times Ceodore said "Huh", Rosa shouted someone name as her only line of dialog, and Porom said Palom). Man... that game is in that awful position where it's not bad enough to be irredeemable garbage, and just good enough to show where all the potential for a not poo poo product was.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm finally playing FFXII HD with the Zodiac job stuff and this game's biggest flaw might be that each job doesn't have cute costumes

Wendell
May 11, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

I totaly forgot this is the 20th anniversary of Final Fantasy VIII, too. I was more focused on Chroo Cross and replaying it. But now I think on it....
-both released in 1999
-both from Square
-both on the PS1
-both pretty iconic in spite of being fairly controversial
-both follow-ups to incredibly popular games which probably made the criticisms all the more harsh
-both probably tried too many things and subsequently failed a lot of them.

CC is still a much better game in every area I can think of.

All the bullshit associated with Razzly makes me so....CROSS.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Wendell posted:

All the bullshit associated with Razzly makes me so....CROSS.

Apart from the fact everyone loves Glenn, maybe the Razzly stuff is also why everybody told me to leave Kid to die on my first run.

Wanna give my little opinion on FFVIII vs. CC in terms of battle system.
FFVIII has one of the worst battle systems I've ever seen while CC has my all time favorite JRPG battle system. FFVIII committed the unforgivable sin of introducing level scaling for the first time in an FF game...for the one FF game where levels don't matter at all. The game is designed around Junctioning and that's where your real stat gains come from. Leveling is actively discouraged. So why the smurf does it have level scaling? Playing the game is detrimental to your enjoyment of the game. It is of course also legendarily broken and easy. Get Siren/Life RF on your 5 free Tents/Junction Curaga to HP and never die again. All within about 3 hours or so?

Chrono Cross meanwhile did so many things I loved. It had gated levels and stat gains so you couldn't just grind your way passed an obstacle. The Stamina and Field system meant you had to plan your next few moves in advance and couldn't just spam super moves like, I dunno, Limit Breaks. Speaking of which, the whole "use an Element and it's gone" feature as well as how limited your options are for reviving characters also demanded more strategy than normal. A minor thing but the three different type of melee attacks kept fights from being overly monotonous X mashing. Like others I wish there were more Double and Triple Techs and a greater diversity in party member abilities. But, well, that's not much of a factor when going up against FFVIII which has zero diversity in gameplay between characters.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I beat Chrono Cross and got every ending and I dont remember there being any real purpose to the different attack options except to make selecting the optimal and never changing attack pattern more difficult.

That said I love both games but think Id give a slight edge to CC because the art style is my loving jam.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Oxxidation posted:

the extra insomnia content in FFXV is needlessly intrusive busywork and I wish it hadn’t been added
Yeah it definitely hits a giant wall before the last big area. The photo quests were dumb finnicky and I didnt really need the Bro specific items since I don't use the character switch skill.

Speaking of XV, i know it's not the director's VsXIII vision, but I really really loved that game. Probably my best experience since I first rented FFII

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
SaGa is better than both though

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Chrono Cross has a disgusting over saturated color palette while 8's more contemporary early 2000's vision of a magic future is fantastic

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've got a lot of a love for Chrono Cross. The music, the small world of the El Nido archipelago, many of the characters (though there's a lot of nothing there too), it just stayed with me.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

FilthyImp posted:

Speaking of XV, i know it's not the director's VsXIII vision,

Don’t worry, Nomura put VsXIII in Kingdom Hearts so he can make it again.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ojjeorago posted:

Don’t worry, Nomura put VsXIII in Kingdom Hearts so he can make it again.
I heard.
Eagerly waiting for Disney to just go gently caress It, Buying Squeenix now and Nomura getting kicked off of KH to deny him Vs again.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I like the way Chrono Cross’ town NPCs speak. There’s a wistfulness to a lot of their dialogue, like the old man who speaks to his dead wife before remembering she’s gone.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Wendell posted:

I like the way Chrono Cross’ town NPCs speak. There’s a wistfulness to a lot of their dialogue, like the old man who speaks to his dead wife before remembering she’s gone.

Last time I played the game I thought I was paying enough attention to all the NPCs but then towards the end of the game I looked up a list of all the Rainbow Shells in the game and discovered I had missed several people you can repeatedly chat with and watch them grow like the one girl in Arni who wants to be.. gently caress I can't even remember, a poet maybe? Anyway, stuff like that is really cool and neat.

I never did figure out if you can do anything in Arni at the end of the game. I think it was Another Arni where they are all hold up and hiding and are like "only citizens of the village can come in!" And I brought Leena because, duh. But nope, nothing doing. Maybe I missed something or did something wrong, I never knew.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I played that part a week or so ago! Yeah, she’s a poet and her alternate world version has given up the dream. You help rekindle her poem writing fire. It’s good and nice.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I need to replay Chrono Cross myself, it's been years. I always liked the artist kid Van for some reason. It was an interesting dynamic to see him be exasperated at his dad for not selling his miracle paint when they are poor as poo poo. Then in Another World they're rich as hell and Van is miserable at having no relationship with his dad instead.

Also his 3rd unique skill was just to paint the entire field a random color which was fun for shenanigans.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah it definitely hits a giant wall before the last big area. The photo quests were dumb finnicky and I didnt really need the Bro specific items since I don't use the character switch skill.

Speaking of XV, i know it's not the director's VsXIII vision, but I really really loved that game. Probably my best experience since I first rented FFII

otoh the new battles against the corrupted kings were aces, The Mystic was better than the actual last boss

ending is still excellent as well, i went back into this after finishing KH3 and it was like night and day

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

FFVIII and Chrono Cross are alike in being trainwreck games with tedious battle systems and nonsense plots but rad soundtracks.

I have to say I prefer CC's sunny, colorful artstyle to 8's "we're going to try realistically proportioned characters and the resulting blurry messes will show why no one does that on the PS1"

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Veib posted:

Alexander is a Metal Gear

ZIDANE: Virtual Mission?!

OGLOP CID: No, the Virtuous Mission.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Microcline posted:

FFVIII and Chrono Cross are alike in being trainwreck games with tedious battle systems and nonsense plots but rad soundtracks.

I have to say I prefer CC's sunny, colorful artstyle to 8's "we're going to try realistically proportioned characters and the resulting blurry messes will show why no one does that on the PS1"
those two and Legend of Dragoon occupy the same space in my brain

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Nihilarian posted:

You’ve gone too far this time, Nihilarian!

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

LoD doesn't even have a rad soundtrack to prop it up, it's just bad

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Flapjack Monty posted:

LoD doesn't even have a rad soundtrack to prop it up, it's just bad
i disagree, LoDs soundtrack is good

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

NikkolasKing posted:

I'd be down for an FFV and VI remake.

I have some bad news for you about your request...

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I guess I can be forgiven for forgetting about FFVIII's 20th anniversary since, according to many angry videos and articles, so has Square. I don't particularly like the game but it had its good parts and I don't begrudge fans for writing pieces on places like Polygon or taking to YouTube to praise it on this special occasion.

I just hope that, between Mitsuda's concert tour for the game and also the 20th anniversary, Chrono Cross gets the same outpouring of affection. I don't care if the Ghost Kids Beach Scene Info Dump is literally the worst thing I've ever see in any JRPG ever, I still love the game. I've talked about this before but I grew up with the PS1 and PS2 and JRPGs and all anybody said was Chrono Cross is one of the best games ever. Then I play it a few years ago, love it, and see a ton of people vehemently hate it.

It got good reviews back in the day, too so it wasn't just dumb kids being dumb.Then again, for all the weight reviews have, look at all the rave reviews, GOTY and perfect scores Final Fantasy XII got I love FFXII but even when it was released it seemed to get almost none of the attention that, say, FFX or FFXIII got and its legacy has certainly been less profound than theirs as well.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

FilthyImp posted:

I heard.
Eagerly waiting for Disney to just go gently caress It, Buying Squeenix now and Nomura getting kicked off of KH to deny him Vs again.

Oh hey, peak stupid person. Yeah, they're the gonna kick the guy who's made them as much money as he has. And especially when they kick him he'll NEVER be able to find work in the industry again. Also, acting like Disney would not supremely gently caress up Kingdom Hearts, like all the loving problems Kingdom Hearts has isn't a direct result of Disney's loving brain tumour levels of decision making.

"Okay, so you're making a crossover game, but you're not allowed to have any Disney crossovers. Everything has to be consigned to its own world. Also, Every world has to be looked over and approved of, of the people who made those movies." Man, like you don't even loving remember the stupidity of Disney Infinity. A crossover Disney game that Disney owned that didn't allow Disney characters to crossover unless it was on neutral ground.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Jesus man maybe take a break from KH for a minute

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yOOF8AKQbw

Ardyn continues to have done literally nothing wrong.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im sure someone mentioned it before but the achievements/trophies for FF9 ate goshdang ridiculous.

Ardyn is great and his unhappiness that Noctis cant take it as personally as he does is good.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ardyn is basically what I imagine a HD Remake Kefka would be like.

He's such a good goddamn villain. That voice :fap: :shlick:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Apparently the Japanese twitter for FFXV said that the cancelled episodes will be released as a novel, like that FFX-3 novel. Just like that, I also expect it to be bad, but we'll never know, cus that poo poo ain't ever making its way to an English release!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cant wait for Noctis to come back from the dead and hop into a car only to get immediately side swiped and die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ardyn is a great villain but he's also had more screentime than any other side character and i'm really not interested in getting the fine details of his backstory when the general summary worked well enough

i would have preferred aranea, especially because her episode would've taken place when all hell broke loose in the empire