Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Canadian boxart

I'm not very familiar with these games, do you really play as a Native American and a black woman, both of whom side with the Americans? What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Ok so the drift on my left joy-con has really gotten terrible. Playing Smash earlier I was trying to charge Samus' charge shot, only to screw attack. My right joy-con can no longer be used separately because it doesn't register L+R meaning I can't connect it individually. I can live without that since very few people ever play with me. So I don't want to buy new joy-cons necessarily.

I know the fix is contact solution. But I am an idiot who doesn't know what that is aside from what I used to use for my contact lenses, and that cannot possibly be it. Also I have to figure out what that stuff is in French.

Then when you get whatever it is, do you just put a drop or two on the rolling ball of the joy-stick?

Thank you again Switch thread for trouble-shooting for me, a person who is an idiot.

I've never used it to fix my Joycons so I don't know the technique, but they'd be talking about electrical contact cleaner which is used for cleaning electrical switches, connectors, etc.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gripweed posted:

Canadian boxart

I'm not very familiar with these games, do you really play as a Native American and a black woman, both of whom side with the Americans? What?

Not really. Connor doesn't want anything to do with either side, it's just that occasionally his interests align with the Americans against the British (who have Templars among them). I haven't played Liberation, but that's almost certainly the same case.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

My memory of Assassin’s Creed 3 is that people here didn’t much care for it. Are they doing anything in this rerelease to fix problems people had?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not really. Connor doesn't want anything to do with either side, it's just that occasionally his interests align with the Americans against the British (who have Templars among them). I haven't played Liberation, but that's almost certainly the same case.

According to the Wikipedia, Connor is half Mohawk. Let's see what George Washington's orders wrt to the Mohawk were during the revolutionary war

quote:

The expedition you are appointed to command is to be directed against the hostile tribes of the six nations of Indians, with their associates and adherents. The immediate objects are the total destruction and devastation of their settlements and the capture of as many prisoners of every age and sex as possible. It will be essential to ruin their crops now in the ground and prevent their planting more.

What were Connor's interests, that they aligned with the Americans? Did he just really hate his family?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Gripweed posted:

Canadian boxart

The whole point is that Connor is getting played from the beginning and the dude at the end is aware he just helped create a nation that touts itself as a bastion of equality and freedom that subjugates anyone not rich and white

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gripweed posted:

What were Connor's interests, that they aligned with the Americans? Did he just really hate his family?

He wants revenge on one specific Templar who happens to be a high ranking british officer. One of the DLCs is alternate history where post game you hunt down and murder George Washington and sadly thats the entire sum of the game franchises interesting use of history.

Wendell posted:

My memory of Assassin’s Creed 3 is that people here didn’t much care for it. Are they doing anything in this rerelease to fix problems people had?

Noooooope!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Gripweed posted:

According to the Wikipedia, Connor is half Mohawk. Let's see what George Washington's orders wrt to the Mohawk were during the revolutionary war

He's blinded by rage and a desire for revenge against the dude who was heading the particular raid that destroyed his home and killed his mom

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wendell posted:

You can't fix a fundamentally-boring story, so no.

The only good parts are the naval missions and the sidequests involving the town you develop, anything pertaining to the important parts of the game is pretty crap.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean they could just rewrite the story but that still leaves them with the worst map in the franchise and tons of half-baked mechanics that later games made into things that actually worked or were marginally fun.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Circle Nine posted:

is that thing actually any good because i've thought about getting one before and Tetris 99 might be the thing that pushes me to actually get one.

This is from way back but yeah, the dpad is real good, which is the only reason to buy one

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 16, 2019

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

If you aren’t using this to play Tetris 99 I don’t even want to know your scrub rear end

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Barudak posted:

I mean they could just rewrite the story but that still leaves them with the worst map in the franchise and tons of half-baked mechanics that later games made into things that actually worked or were marginally fun.

You can't even do that, because so much of the plot is the cornerstone for everything that comes after it. Especially the really stupid parts at the end.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can't even do that, because so much of the plot is the cornerstone for everything that comes after it. Especially the really stupid parts at the end.

Nah they could just resolve those plot inconsitencies in a tie-in comic book.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Calaveron posted:

The whole point is that Connor is getting played from the beginning and the dude at the end is aware he just helped create a nation that touts itself as a bastion of equality and freedom that subjugates anyone not rich and white

fair enough

Calaveron posted:

He's blinded by rage and a desire for revenge against the dude who was heading the particular raid that destroyed his home and killed his mom

still, having him side with the guys who are currently raiding his home and killing his people to get that guy seems very dumb

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Congrats you spoiled the plot twist that we all saw coming.

No really, the plot twist of "actually it was your buddy George that done it" is what the whole shebang leads up to.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

Raserys posted:

has anyone tried daemon x machina? is it any good?

It's okay but I wish everything felt heavier like in the early AC games. Also maybe a little more flying than I want out of a mech combat game.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is from way back but yeah, the dpad is real good, which is the only reason to buy one

For clarification, is this the wired Hori fake pro controller, or just the left joycon replacement?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well that and then Connor's sudden but understandable disillusionment with politics.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Can anyone recommend some decent thumbstick grips? After long Diablo 3 sessions my left thumb starts to ache a bit and I'm looking for something to make it more comfortable.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Tirade posted:

At the moment my lovely workaround involves connecting my phone to hotel wifi, USB tethering it to my laptop, then using my laptop's wifi as a hot spot for the switch. Anything that can simplify that would be super helpful.

I wish i could help, but I've not had that WiFi issue pop up yet. I usually just tether to my phone if I need to connect for a second or two, since i have an unlimited plan. In my experience, the hotel wifi is always worse than my phone connection.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

BisterdDave posted:

Can anyone recommend some decent thumbstick grips? After long Diablo 3 sessions my left thumb starts to ache a bit and I'm looking for something to make it more comfortable.

What do you mean by ache? Is the thumb pad sore, or the thumb itself? For the thumb pad, get the skull & candy nubs, least obtrusive and don't come off once on, but you gotta work them on. For the thumb itself, get the joycon battery grips, changed my life.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

I did the dpad mod on a joycon. Its decent.
It’s alright. My main issue is the lack of a pivot so for rolling motions it’s still kinda crappy.

Joycon dpad buttons are the best for Tetris personally.

hadji murad posted:

What size SD card is good for a Switch? I’ll primarily be buying digital through a foreign Nintendo account.

Also can I start with the 32 on-board then add it in later (if I find a good deal on a larger card)?
As big as you can afford. And yeah you can add later, although to move stuff around manually at first.

Mega Comrade posted:

I was excited for this before realising with out analogue triggers it's gonna play considerably worse than the other platforms.
Get better at Trials :colbert:

(It’ll be still worse cause 30fps though)

Dr. VooDoo posted:

If you aren’t using this to play Tetris 99 I don’t even want to know your scrub rear end
I have my own custom stick :colbert:

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

Resolution is too low gonna look bad

>things that have never stopped Nintendo in the past

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Circle Nine posted:

It's okay but I wish everything felt heavier like in the early AC games. Also maybe a little more flying than I want out of a mech combat game.

For clarification, is this the wired Hori fake pro controller, or just the left joycon replacement?

I’m talking about the left joycon. I don’t have the wired one

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

bushisms.txt posted:

What do you mean by ache? Is the thumb pad sore, or the thumb itself? For the thumb pad, get the skull & candy nubs, least obtrusive and don't come off once on, but you gotta work them on. For the thumb itself, get the joycon battery grips, changed my life.

Definitely the thumb pad, thanks for the recommendation!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Tirade posted:

Yes please. This has given me grief for months and anything that could fix it would be amazing. What do you mean by not necessary if I have a phone?

Cool! Hope this helps you because so far this is my first time getting it to work. Disclaimer, I’m not a computer guy. Also when I said you didn’t need an iPad specifically I just mean that I needed something that could look at the hotels network info after being able to successfully connect to it. All my mobile stuff is apple so that’s what this post uses. I’m sure you could fine the same info on an android or pc, I just don’t use them so shrug.

My specific problem this time was at a Hilton property. What the switch normally does in a perfect scenario is connect to the network, lag for like 5 minute on connecting to the internet then fail with a message saying “you need to register the device” before the browser comes up and loads the splash screen. This time it was connecting quickly to both like nothing was wrong, but failing every attempt at actually using it no matter how many times I reset the settings and tried again.

After some googling I figured out you can force the browser out when connected to specific apps and networks by playing with the DNS settings, the rest was trial and error.

-Connect a device to the network properly. Go into your network settings and look at the details for the network DNS. On iOS it’s settings, WiFi, the (i) next to the network, configure DNS. This showed a list of around 4 DNS values the network is using.

-Try to connect to the network on the switch and manually configure the network settings. Set DNS to manual and change the primary to one of these values, save and try connecting. The third one made it work as usual and after a couple minutes I got the registration page. After going through the prompts of registering with the hotel it will automatically try to reconnect and sit there (again) until you cancel it, go back into the settings and change the DNS back to automatic. This time you’ll be properly registered and it should work.

This might not solve it for all hotels, it’s still trial and error as I travel and see lovely networks around the country.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Not being able to practice with a character and learn how they play puts players at an unfair disadvantage when they have to fight against them.

There are over 70 characters in this game.

You’re not practicing with them all to the level where you’ll actually understand the minutia of what makes them good you insane person

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ubisoft literally could have picked any AC game to port aside from the first one and it would have been better, even AC2 would have been better lol.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Today I've been on a run of ending in second place in Tetris99 because #1 and #3 are better players than me but duke it out while I'm slowly dying due to my lack of skill of dealing with the very high speeds, and then someone wins and sticks the fork in me

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Ok so the drift on my left joy-con has really gotten terrible. Playing Smash earlier I was trying to charge Samus' charge shot, only to screw attack. My right joy-con can no longer be used separately because it doesn't register L+R meaning I can't connect it individually. I can live without that since very few people ever play with me. So I don't want to buy new joy-cons necessarily.

I know the fix is contact solution. But I am an idiot who doesn't know what that is aside from what I used to use for my contact lenses, and that cannot possibly be it. Also I have to figure out what that stuff is in French.

Then when you get whatever it is, do you just put a drop or two on the rolling ball of the joy-stick?

Thank you again Switch thread for trouble-shooting for me, a person who is an idiot.

I got some recently at Lowe’s Hardware in the electrical section. There are a lot of brands but as was said it’s “electric contact cleaner” and it’s basically compressed air and alcohol, should be like 5-8 bucks for a can of it. I just sprayed a shot on each side of the stick and wiggled it around and it seemed to work.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I hope Capcom takes a page from Ubisoft and only ports Devil May Cry 2 and be bewildered by lack of sales.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rolo posted:

Cool! Hope this helps you because so far this is my first time getting it to work. Disclaimer, I’m not a computer guy. Also when I said you didn’t need an iPad specifically I just mean that I needed something that could look at the hotels network info after being able to successfully connect to it. All my mobile stuff is apple so that’s what this post uses. I’m sure you could fine the same info on an android or pc, I just don’t use them so shrug.

My specific problem this time was at a Hilton property. What the switch normally does in a perfect scenario is connect to the network, lag for like 5 minute on connecting to the internet then fail with a message saying “you need to register the device” before the browser comes up and loads the splash screen. This time it was connecting quickly to both like nothing was wrong, but failing every attempt at actually using it no matter how many times I reset the settings and tried again.

After some googling I figured out you can force the browser out when connected to specific apps and networks by playing with the DNS settings, the rest was trial and error.

-Connect a device to the network properly. Go into your network settings and look at the details for the network DNS. On iOS it’s settings, WiFi, the (i) next to the network, configure DNS. This showed a list of around 4 DNS values the network is using.

-Try to connect to the network on the switch and manually configure the network settings. Set DNS to manual and change the primary to one of these values, save and try connecting. The third one made it work as usual and after a couple minutes I got the registration page. After going through the prompts of registering with the hotel it will automatically try to reconnect and sit there (again) until you cancel it, go back into the settings and change the DNS back to automatic. This time you’ll be properly registered and it should work.

This might not solve it for all hotels, it’s still trial and error as I travel and see lovely networks around the country.

Captive portals super suck in general, but good job getting a way to make it work.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mons Hubris posted:

I got some recently at Lowe’s Hardware in the electrical section. There are a lot of brands but as was said it’s “electric contact cleaner” and it’s basically compressed air and alcohol, should be like 5-8 bucks for a can of it. I just sprayed a shot on each side of the stick and wiggled it around and it seemed to work.

I'll keep this in mind. If the local mega grocery store hasn't got it I'll check out a Bricorama. The name in French seems to be a direct translation. Thanks.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

DLC Inc posted:

ubisoft literally could have picked any AC game to port aside from the first one and it would have been better, even AC2 would have been better lol.

Is there any reason why it keeps being 3? I think it's the most ported game in the series.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
I was so excited for 3 because of the incredibly unique time period, but ubisoft came through again like they always do and made a terrible game.

I think this is the one rear end Creed I was actually really excited for, then really let down by.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is there any reason why it keeps being 3? I think it's the most ported game in the series.

(Technically Revelations,) 3, 4, and Rogue all share a modified post-Ezio Trilogy engine that all came out within a year of each other and got next gen ports so it's probably easier.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Electric Phantasm posted:

I think it's the only mainline game in the series that didn't already have a version on PS4/XB1. Since they were working on this for those consoles it was probably easy enough to work on a Switch port at the same time.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

At least this is not the case for FFIX on the Switch. Playing through the intro and so far everything looks and runs smoothly. It's definitely above 15 FPS, because framerates below 20 tend to make my eyes hurt and give me headaches over time. So also definitely at least above 20.
You say playing through the intro, did you get into any battles or reach the world map? Because those are the places that run at like 15-20 fps and from what I've heard else (and in this thread) the Switch version is just the same as the PC version?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DLC Inc posted:

Unity is much worse than 3 and practically unplayable, also 2 is one of the best in the series still so there's no 'even' about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Sakurazuka posted:

also 2 is one of the best in the series still so there's no 'even' about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJcPc6OQ384