Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Endorph posted:

Daxter is the most early 2000s thing ever.

I think you'll find he is a rad dude with some serious 'tude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finished Crackdown 3; I enjoyed the hell out of it even if it has some occasional quirks and the plot/pacing clearly suffers from being half-baked and probably actually on worked on for like a year or two at most. I like how focused it is and the final 4 dungeons are real good and they tried to mix up the bossfights more than crackdown 1 even if the solution in both games is "use the homing rocket launcher".

But yes its like 6-10 hours even doing all the side stuff, more if you hunt for orbs you dont need. Honestly the non gameplay loop stuff suffers from there not being anyway to reveal it on your map; Im not going to hunt down hundreds of orbs I dont need located god knows where in a sprawling city that I can traverse thousands of meters into the air if I dont have a map

In summary I want a Crackdown 4 and hopefully Microsoft has unfucked its development pipeline so I can get a sequel withiut having to wait 13 years.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

What F2P games on phone are popular these days? Used to play puzzle & dragons, FF Record Keeper, a bit of some other Japanese ones like Fire Emblem.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Barudak posted:

Finished Crackdown 3
its like 6-10 hours even doing all the side stuff

oof

How the hell does a full priced game get released like that?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Infinitum posted:

oof

Off the bat its on gamepass both xbox and PC so if you paid more than $10 for it I dont even understand how you came to that decision.

That said I dont mind its length since a) I didnt spend $60 dollars and b) as noted there isnt any cruft; you do fun little things and unlock fun boss fights which unlock fun dungeons+bossfights. Ill be honest while its not a long experience I had more fun with it than a lot of other games Ive played in the last year that were much longer experiences I direly wish were shorter.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pharohman777 posted:

Yeah, I've been hearing mutterings about how bad it is on twitter.

It's really that awful?

I’ve seen people compare the writing to Big Bang theory

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Taintrunner posted:

Apparently Anthem has an even worse story and worse characters than ME:A

Taintrunner posted:

I've seen people compare the writing to Big Bang theory

:suspense: Could someone elaborate?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Does the main character say "We got this"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Please god tell me your AI companion wants to be an actor but cant land quality work and abandons their dreams while your range of responses are to degrade their dreams and worth as a sentient being to a cheering laugh track.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

My favourite post in the Anthem thread is someone saying to ignore everyone saying bad things because they're not at the endgame where the interesting stuff becomes available.

If the interesting parts of your game are literally not available until the loving credits roll that's not a good thing.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't think I've ever reached the endgame stuff in an mmo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Speaking of endgame, I think I am hitting a plateau in T99. I can still crack the top ten but often I am the only latinate username and the #1 is a Grand-Master who drops 8 lines of garbage every four seconds like clockwork

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Does the main character say "We got this"

There is indeed a character in Anthem that says literally that.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
So is it bad writing in a so-bad-its-good way or just bad writing? Because the former can at least be enjoyable.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

I did once but then they moved it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Help Im Alive posted:

The easiest times for me to quit WoW have been when there's a new raid tier or expansion about to drop. This is when more people come back to see the new content but I get all like "eh, what's the point of doing this all over again."

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I finished Berseria. After 8 months.

Still a good game.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Guild Wars 1 had the best endgame with the global pvp arena. I really miss that game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Rarity posted:

I think you'll find he is a rad dude with some serious 'tude

i feel like you're ascribing much more consistent characterization to jak than jak 2 or 3 actually provide

like half of the cutscenes in jak 2 are just more of the goofy silent comedy duo stuff from jak 1 and it's bizarre how much better those scenes are than any of the times jak talks

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
dunk the persona guy in a trash can along with dragon quest composer guy

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway i hope the oneshot manga about a teenage couple with nonstandard gender identities gets licensed at some point so that more people check it out and there's a way to read it that doesn't have a giant lovely watermark on one of the first pages put there by the scanlators that makes fun of gender identities, in a manga about understanding gender identity and social pressure and ostracization

if anyone's curious it's called Watashi no Kanojo wa Otokonoko and it's good, outside of, the giant lovely watermark on the first few pages the people who translated it slapped on

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Reminder to play The Missing because SWERY is a cool dude and not a shithead like the Persona guy.

Samuringa posted:

I finished Berseria. After 8 months.

Still a good game.
It is.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Colonel posted:

anyway i hope the oneshot manga about a teenage couple with nonstandard gender identities gets licensed at some point so that more people check it out and there's a way to read it that doesn't have a giant lovely watermark on one of the first pages put there by the scanlators that makes fun of gender identities, in a manga about understanding gender identity and social pressure and ostracization

if anyone's curious it's called Watashi no Kanojo wa Otokonoko and it's good, outside of, the giant lovely watermark on the first few pages the people who translated it slapped on

There's also this which I saw going around Twitter last night.
https://twitter.com/OhPoorPup/status/1096666515238088704

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

njsykora posted:

There's also this which I saw going around Twitter last night.
https://twitter.com/OhPoorPup/status/1096666515238088704

yeah that's cool. there's a lot of japanese doujin and freeware games and rpgs that have explicitly lesbian or nb characters, i wish more of them were tled

not quite the same but i'd also recommend people to look into the work of kotori yoshimura through the 80s to early 90s cause she's one of the oldest lgbt game programmers i can think of and even beyond that her games are genuinely really impressive and kind of groundbreaking, given almost all of them played around with running polygonal 3d graphics on home pcs years before it became the norm and star cruiser especially is like, a game blending genres years before one of the genres it's blending together even existed. star cruiser 1 and 2 even have pretty decent fan translations

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 16, 2019

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

The Colonel posted:

Finally another opportunity to say this: Yo gently caress that teacher he sucks

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What was the first AAA game to feature titties, anime or polygonal? Earliest I remember was God of War 1

e: bare, ofc

Jay Rust fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 16, 2019

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ccxApV6eA

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jay Rust posted:

What was the first AAA game to feature titties, anime or polygonal? Earliest I remember was God of War 1
Sorta depends on what time period we include and what qualified as AAA before the term came into common use. Was Giants: Citizen Kabuto AAA? Before that, Nomad Soul had them and definitely was a super high profile game for its time. Even before that, Daggerfall had them. In general, before console (and american) censorship levels standardized across all platforms and markets it wasn't as hard to find as you might think.

Chev fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 16, 2019

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I see the question is specifically worded to exclude Custer's Revenge

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

EDF 5 is becoming a drag, after like mission 45 you mostly spend your time slowly picking off huge, tough enemies in stages that last 20-25 minutes which is exactly the opposite of what I like from these games. :(

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jay Rust posted:

e: bare, ofc

Obviously Custer's Revenge

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Chev posted:

Sorta depends on what time period we include and what qualified as AAA before the term came into common use. Was Giants: *Citizen Kabuto* AAA? Before that, *Nomad Soul* had them and definitely was a super high profile game for its time. Even before that, Daggerfall had them. In general, before console (and american) censorship levels standardized across all platforms and markets it wasn't as hard to find as you might think.

i hate the nomad soul because when people say its name i think they're talking about soul nomad, a good game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Infinitum posted:

oof

RE2 is like 5 hours long and people loved it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Custer's Revenge was pixels.
Phantasmagoria was FMV

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Looper posted:

dunk the persona guy in a trash can along with dragon quest composer guy

Wait what did the persona guy do?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

In Training posted:

RE2 is like 5 hours long and people loved it

you play it twice though and then also do hurk mode

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Another Tetris 99 victory.

But with only one name in kanji in the top ten, feels somewhat hollow

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

a glitch posted:

Wait what did the persona guy do?
He's a big homophobe/transphobe. The new Catherine remake has an ending that pretty much states that Erica, a fully transitioned straight transwoman, would be better off if she was a cis gay man. Not to mention the stuff that was already in the original Catherine and all the gay panic in the Persona games since 3.

Time really has been cooling my love of Persona 4.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 16, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
e: beat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Another Tetris 99 victory.

But with only one name in kanji in the top ten, feels somewhat hollow

I don't think Japanese people are born with some kind of tetris gene