Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

i think its cool that gaben hires smart people and lets them do whatever

especially cool that he saves game developers from having to make games

i heard that wasn't really true any more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i heard that wasn't really true any more

yeah i figure that dream never really matched reality but it does in my head

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

man, defending dead-on-arrival artifact in 2019 :mmmhmm:

Linux thread unable to detect sarcasm?

shocking

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

people actually like Artifact-the-game, they just absolutely loathe Artifact-the-business-model

if by 'people' you mean to say that there exists at least two distinct persons who like it then yes, though it is likely to be garfield and his mom

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

no, I mean people who like collectible card games acknowledge that Artifact is a fun game to play, they just refuse to play it because they hate the monetization

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

systemd is a mess but it's more good than bad and folks who are still pouting about it need to get their poo poo together

Get systemd to drop resolved and networkd, fix their poo poo tab completion, and make it portable to the BSD family (even with a reduced feature set)

then I might agree

do the needful, lonort

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Poopernickel posted:

Get systemd to drop resolved and networkd, fix their poo poo tab completion, and make it portable to the BSD family (even with a reduced feature set)

then I might agree

do the needful, lonort

agreed, resolved is poo poo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

so glad I use an operating system written and maintained by professional adults

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
seriously if systemd removed all the feature creep, 99% of complaints would go away

I want a service manager and a cron replacement, not some lovely userspace/os takeover

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 16, 2019

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Poopernickel posted:

seriously if systemd removed all the feature creep, 99% of complaints would go away

I want a service manager and a cron replacement, not an entire goddamn os

and I don't want to think about any of those things, which is why I use windows or macos

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Poopernickel posted:

lol no

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i prefer the dennis system to systems dennis

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
System of a Denis

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

Distros don't matter as much as they used to. The only distinguishing features any more are the exact commands used for package management and the (rolling or fixed) release cycle.

Unless you're using something Debian based in which case they take every package that comes their way and drag their dicks up and down said package because they like to feel special.

We can thank systemd for a lot of this standardization, despite all the kicking and screaming along the way. Turns out it's not actually all that important what you call /etc/hostname.

thank god (lennart) for this

Poopernickel posted:

then I might agree

do the needful, lonort

patches welcome

Poopernickel posted:

I want a service manager and a cron replacement, not some lovely userspace/os takeover

i think you dont understand that the 'feature creep' is already optional components that distros could shut off if they wanted to, but dont

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
it's funny when something is successful because it's better than the alternatives but people still get mad about it for ideological reasons. these same people also get mad about codes of conduct. lol.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

you know what we need? more shell scripts

gotta keep those sysadmin divas employed somehow

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Nobody's saying shell scripts are better than service files

just that all the other poo poo isn't needed or good, and didn't improve anything. How is resolved with its takeover of /etc/resolv.conf and its hardcoded google DNS servers a good thing? And why should my service manager bundle it?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Poopernickel posted:

Nobody's saying shell scripts are better than service files

just that all the other poo poo isn't needed or good, and didn't improve anything. How is resolved with its takeover of /etc/resolv.conf and its hardcoded google DNS servers a good thing? And why should my service manager bundle it?

Progressive JPEG posted:

i think you dont understand that the 'feature creep' is already optional components that distros could shut off if they wanted to, but dont

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

i think its cool that gaben hires smart people and lets them do whatever

especially cool that he saves game developers from having to make games

they fund a lot of people doing useful projects. the renderdoc guy, the spirv-cross guy, keith packard's xorg display leasing work, they paid the moltenvk people a pile of money to make it free, they fund a lot of lunarg's work on the vulkan loader and validation layers, they have valve people working on linux video drivers, etc...

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
but what useful projects are they funding?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Fiedler posted:

but what useful projects are they funding?

the project of not making games

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
systemd should really sit atop Mach messages and service activation rather than DBus

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i will agree that dbus as currently implemented is bad and am glad it didn't get baked into the kernel to thereby be bad forevermore

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
wasnt there a big to do around dbus and systemd

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
yeah lennart said “take kdbus drat it” and Linus said “omg this is awful no”

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

they should just incorporate Mach and use it for VM and message passing

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

eschaton posted:

yeah lennart said “take kdbus drat it” and Linus said “omg this is awful no”

my memory is the situation was more like "please give us some kind of IPC mechanism" the the response was a resounding "durrr have you tried AF_UNIX sockets?????"

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Kamrat posted:

Yes but most people aren't going to switch out Windows for an OS that just does Steam

It's a console OP

Also they should just use Binder :sun:

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 16, 2019

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

my memory is the situation was more like "please give us some kind of IPC mechanism" the the response was a resounding "durrr have you tried AF_UNIX sockets?????"

no they wanted to build a complete dbus daemon into the kernel

but it wasn't any faster than the userspace version. and didn't offer anything new to userspace. it was just dbus. in the kernel. for some reason.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

there was a reason, but it's been a while so i dont remember. something with guaranteeing order/locking or something that only the kernel could do reliably

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
I thought Steam Machines where dead but looking at the Steam store I see a couple of them there.

Early last year they purged them from the Steam store so I thought they gave up on the project.

So I thought SteamOS was a console distro without a console.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

AF_UNIX sockets suck, but they're already in the kernel and they already work

they would have worked fine for systemd tbh, but instead loonert introduced a big external redhat-developed dependency because ~*ReAsOnS*~, and then tried to stuff it into the kernel

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 17, 2019

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

aaaaaaag so much bullshit being spouted in here gently caress off

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

its like 50 % of people in this thread has never touched a linux

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i was touching linux long before there was systemd. i was fondling its rc scripts and caressing the curves of the shell

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
u dont touch linux, linux touches you

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Linux touched me in a bad way

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005