Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Also they still deadname Erica in the credits of the remake which is just a great indication of how super petty and spiteful they are and not just ignorant or anything like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Accordion Man posted:

He's a big homophobe/transphobe. The new Catherine remake has an ending that pretty much states that Erica, a fully transitioned straight transwoman, would be better off if she was an un-transitioned gay man. Not to mention the stuff that was already in the original Catherine and all the gay panic in the Persona games since 3.

Time really has been cooling my love of Persona 4.

It's really weird this is even a thing that's happening, because they seemed to handle Lala Escargot perfectly fine. in Persona 5, outside of like a single line where you have the option to ask "do I have to cross dress?" when getting a job with her, she is otherwise handled great. Like, no one ever refers to her as a man, no one ever gets her pronouns wrong, there's never a scene where a character is like "whoa hold on THAT'S A DUDE! Gross!" or anything. All the regulars at the bar treat her normally, etc. So it's not like they're not capable of handling this kind of thing better. They just choose not to in Catherine's case or gay characters in general. Though I guess Lala-chan is technically not trans and just cross dresses so maybe they don't consider it the same thing.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CommissarMega posted:

:suspense: Could someone elaborate?

In the demo your friend accidentally splits into 3 people and you and he^3 stand around making jokes for a while

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Speaking of endgame, I think I am hitting a plateau in T99. I can still crack the top ten but often I am the only latinate username and the #1 is a Grand-Master who drops 8 lines of garbage every four seconds like clockwork

Learn tspin setups. They do much more garbage than anything. I think a double tspin gives the same garbage as a tetris for half the lines cleared

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Accordion Man posted:

Reminder to play The Missing because SWERY is a cool dude and not a shithead like the Persona guy.
It is.

The missing is like an apolgy for thomas in dp. Too bad it plays kinda lovely tho. The ideas were good but execution is week.

Apologies for triple post.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Real hurthling! posted:

Learn tspin setups. They do much more garbage than anything. I think a double tspin gives the same garbage as a tetris for half the lines cleared

Yeah this is the wall I'm running into, even building 4 lines as fast as I can is not enough to catch up with T-spin efficiency.

I will probably boot up PPT for some practice in a less hectic environment

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Accordion Man posted:

Also they still deadname Erica in the credits of the remake which is just a great indication of how super petty and spiteful they are and not just ignorant or anything like that.

I heard they fixed that, they didn't?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Electric Phantasm posted:

I heard they fixed that, they didn't?

Classic on PC change that, Full Body apparently didn't.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

English voice of Erica and Trisha (tv show host)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Missing was GOTY last year

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't think Japanese people are born with some kind of tetris gene

Japan invented square watermelons, they are highly trained in the art of stacking

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i will give the missing credit for effectively conveying its big moment of emotional apotheosis entirely in lovely chatspeak

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It's not genetic but Japan has had a longer competitive history with both TGM and PPT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngp8qAprb_k&t=30s
Americans historically gravitated towards NES Tetris

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Accordion Man posted:

He's a big homophobe/transphobe. The new Catherine remake has an ending that pretty much states that Erica, a fully transitioned straight transwoman, would be better off if she was a cis gay man. Not to mention the stuff that was already in the original Catherine and all the gay panic in the Persona games since 3.

Time really has been cooling my love of Persona 4.

ah yes, persona 4, the game where a guy is accepted because he's only feminine and not GAY, that'd be GROSS, what a WEIRDO

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

corn in the bible posted:

ah yes, persona 4, the game where a guy is accepted because he's only feminine and not GAY, that'd be GROSS, what a WEIRDO
Can't have a woman that likes being androgynous, gotta force her to look more traditionally feminine.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Accordion Man posted:

Can't have a woman that likes being androgynous, gotta force her to look more traditionally feminine.

... Isnt that totally misrepresenting Naotos storyline in persona 4? Didn't she have to take up presenting as a guy due to the mysoginy in the line of work she wanted, but she still wanted to be feminine and not hide her true self?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Pharohman777 posted:

... Isnt that totally misrepresenting Naotos storyline in persona 4? Didn't she have to take up presenting as a guy due to the mysoginy in the line of work she wanted, but she still wanted to be feminine and not hide her true self?

The problem in persona 4 is that it turns out everyone's true self is to be exactly what society expects of them. What a coincidence!

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Started Obra Dinn tonight.

It Obra Owns.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I wonder how many people look at that title and spend some time searching for the previous Obra Dinn game

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

cheetah7071 posted:

The problem in persona 4 is that it turns out everyone's true self is to be exactly what society expects of them. What a coincidence!

How is Naoto deciding not to hide who she is anymore 'exactly what society expects of her'?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Solving a Fate in Obra Dinn is like jabbing a syringe full of serotonin straight into your brain

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Pharohman777 posted:

How is Naoto deciding not to hide who she is anymore 'exactly what society expects of her'?

Kanji's true self is to be straight
Yukiko's true self is to inherit the inn like her family wants
Naoto's true self is to present as her biological gender
Rise's true self is to continue along in her original career

There's a pattern that all of them start with the position of being subversive of societal expectations in some way and then end exactly where they were expected to end. Natoto's is addmittedly a bit weird because you could make a solid argument that either outcome is at least somewhat subversive but it's a running thread in P4 that you'll be happiest doing exactly what everyone else wants of you

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

At the very least that isn't true for Kanji. Kanji's problem is that he felt like society expected him to be manly when actually he was really into things like textiles and sewing, so he overcompensated and went all hypermasculine. His homophobia led him to fear that his stereotypically "feminine" interests meant that he was gay. In the end when he accepts his "true self" he accepts that his interests in things that society considers "feminine" don't make him any less of a man and he stops trying to pretend he's some aggressive tough guy.

There's certainly a lot to unpack there and some problematic things with gender--like how his crush on Naoto ends up being played like a Twelfth Night farce--but there's more to it than "is Kanji gay, nope, he's straight, done"

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 16, 2019

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

At the very least that isn't true for Kanji. Kanji's problem is that he felt like society expected him to be manly when actually he was really into things like textiles and sewing, so he overcompensated and went all hypermasculine. His homophobia led him to fear that his stereotypically "feminine" interests meant that he was gay. In the end when he accepts his "true self" he accepts that his interests in things that society considers "feminine" don't make him any less of a man and he stops trying to pretend he's some aggressive tough guy.
Kanji's scenario also feels like its wrapped up in the 2000's era schoolyard bullying of being called gay or a human being if you liked feminine things.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
kanji's arc is weird but what makes persona 4's handling of his character actively bad is how yosuke's singular purpose in any of his interactions with kanji is to act terrified of the possibility of kanji being gay at any and all opportunities, in a way that is never criticized, resolved or even acknowledged by the game itself

also the cultural festival in persona 4 is just an epic extended joke about how crossdressing is totally weird and gross but also fat people are vain and stupid. did we mention we hate fat people yet, well here's the comedy fat girl we bring in whenever we want to communicate how worthless we think fat people are

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
persona 4 is a bad game

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

haveblue posted:

I wonder how many people look at that title and spend some time searching for the previous Obra Dinn game

A New Boat is kind of rough but Nichols Strikes Back is the pinnacle of the trilogy imho

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pharohman777 posted:

Kanji's scenario also feels like its wrapped up in the 2000's era schoolyard bullying of being called gay or a human being if you liked feminine things.

The Colonel posted:

kanji's arc is weird but what makes persona 4's handling of his character actively bad is how yosuke's singular purpose in any of his interactions with kanji is to act terrified of the possibility of kanji being gay at any and all opportunities, in a way that is never criticized, resolved or even acknowledged by the game itself

also the cultural festival in persona 4 is just an epic extended joke about how crossdressing is totally weird and gross but also fat people are vain and stupid. did we mention we hate fat people yet, well here's the comedy fat girl we bring in whenever we want to communicate how worthless we think fat people are

Yeah, Kanji's arc on paper is maybe the best one in the game, in that he actually undergoes change and learns to accept himself as something that society doesn't expect him to be. In execution, though, it's botched pretty hard because the whole thing ends up wrapped in a ton of gay panic played for laughs, whether it's jokes about Kanji's attraction to Naoto (but she's pretending to be a dude!!!) or Yosuke thinking Kanji's coming on to him or assuming he's some kind of sexual predator, etc. What could be a great arc plays out really, really poorly.

Persona 5 shows that the series hasn't really gotten any better about gender and sexuality, either. I loved Persona 5 but good god the gay panic jokes were lovely.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
persona 4 is the most inoffensive persona game hashino has ever directed because it only has a character scream about being terrified of the possibility of a person being gay instead of literally portraying actual gay people as shadowy rapists but it's still an entire game where almost every character's narrative arc begins at "i think i might have personal issues that none of my rural japan family or friends understand" and ends at "no i was wrong actually" and the times it doesn't end at that it ends at "no actually i might have been slightly right but also my issues are not that transgressive or weird after all"

if persona 4 isn't a blatantly conservative approach to writing teenagers with personal issues, it's a completely half-assed and wasted premise instead

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 16, 2019

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I loved persona 5 but will admit the style/soundtrack is overall greater than the sum of the game's parts. if the music was trash in P4 I think it'd be remembered as a shittier game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the persona team has mastered making mediocre jrpgs that are elevated by their aesthetics and story ideas that are vaguely related enough to social issues that people could come out thinking they're deep commentary

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like persona 3-5 bc I like the SMT battle system and demon fusing

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Colonel posted:

the persona team has mastered making mediocre jrpgs that are elevated by their aesthetics and story ideas that are vaguely related enough to social issues that people could come out thinking they're deep commentary

I'd say that the combat and dungeons in Persona 5 rise to a level pretty far above mediocre and there's a lot of good there, though it's definitely a game whose actual story lets down (and even actively undermines) the ideas it appears to be trying to convey.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well. The story in Persona 5 got so bad that I didn't actually finish it. Which i usually don't mind in other SMT games bc the story is slight but narrative is the whole point of Persona games so it got too obnoxious to ignore

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Macaluso posted:

It's really weird this is even a thing that's happening, because they seemed to handle Lala Escargot perfectly fine. in Persona 5, outside of like a single line where you have the option to ask "do I have to cross dress?" when getting a job with her, she is otherwise handled great. Like, no one ever refers to her as a man, no one ever gets her pronouns wrong, there's never a scene where a character is like "whoa hold on THAT'S A DUDE! Gross!" or anything. All the regulars at the bar treat her normally, etc. So it's not like they're not capable of handling this kind of thing better. They just choose not to in Catherine's case or gay characters in general. Though I guess Lala-chan is technically not trans and just cross dresses so maybe they don't consider it the same thing.

Its kinda like its because Lala is in the "space" of where the director thinks that ""type of person"" should exist...
Compare to like, the gay dudes who freely move around preying on young men.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 16, 2019

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Man, SMT Nocturne is such a great game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I want a DDS3....

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Harrow posted:

I'd say that the combat and dungeons in Persona 5 rise to a level pretty far above mediocre and there's a lot of good there, though it's definitely a game whose actual story lets down (and even actively undermines) the ideas it appears to be trying to convey.

persona 5 was undermined by the director's view that all women should be "cute" leading to one of the worst character redesigns in video game history

Jay Rust posted:

Man, SMT Nocturne is such a great game

good news, the persona guy directed it and it's both the least offensive game he's made and also still a game with one single weird gay joke with zero context

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

njsykora posted:

There's also this which I saw going around Twitter last night.
https://twitter.com/OhPoorPup/status/1096666515238088704

tokyo afterschool summoners is a game that everyone can enjoy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Colonel posted:

persona 5 was undermined by the director's view that all women should be "cute" leading to one of the worst character redesigns in video game history

which character is that?

Harrow posted:

yeah the dungeons are so much better than the boring labyrinths of P4 that are godawful. same with the quality of life improvements in P5. I could never go back to that old poo poo again.