Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
yeah that dude is probably an irresponsible shithead and his parents know it and he is just super pissed that they’re taking money from “his” inheritance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

CheesyDog posted:

If the child has the grandparents' fortune at 18 then the parents won't be able to control her by dangling THEIR money over her.

It's a combo of this plus the parents wanting grandmabux for themselves

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Wait, he asked her to visit, waited until she was seven hours into a nine-hour drive, then told her to go home? What the gently caress is wrong with him? “You can’t expect to stay with me after you’ve driven nine hours to deliver pussy to my doorstep. I’m tired of this pattern.”

Also, how good is that dick that she’s willing to drive eighteen hours round-trip for a dose?

Imagine the female part being played by Laura Loomer.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

CheesyDog posted:

r/legaladvice
[New York, NY] Against my express consent, parents insist on leaving 100s of thousands, if not millions of dollars to my 4 year old in a trust
u/concernedparent212

:thermidor:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Power Khan posted:

Legit lol

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Power Khan posted:

"imagine"?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
It's probably her. Lol

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

CheesyDog posted:

r/legaladvice
[New York, NY] Against my express consent, parents insist on leaving 100s of thousands, if not millions of dollars to my 4 year old in a trust
u/concernedparent212

What in tarnation

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

13Pandora13 posted:

So like...how lovely is your 4 year old that you're concerned about the nightmare they'll be as an adult with millions of dollars?

Maybe the child is surrounded by terrible shadows and terrifies zoo animals. Maybe the OP’s husband is too busy with his new job at the State Department to help with this. Maybe knowing their daughters stress in dealing with all the bizarre household deaths and meddlesome priests gave the OP’s parents pause when deciding who should be trustee.

The point is, the OP is probably just tired and should maybe check herself into a hospital for awhile and worry about this later.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

christmas boots posted:

I don't scrub anybody else
When I think about you

I
Wash
Myself

You’re still the king.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

quote:

They’re narcissistic and will want to be “thanked” at some point

I know 99% of /r/raisedbynarcissists is people who resent their parents for parenting, but sometimes there are links ITT to that essay and forum about actual *real* narcissist parents and it's a horror show. If this guy has got these people figured out, and they're really like that, I wouldn't blame him for not wanting a "free" million dollars as something to be held over his head for the next couple decades. It would be demands for unrestricted access to the kids and their home, decision-making about school and college and medical things, etc etc until they die.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

life is a joke posted:

I know 99% of /r/raisedbynarcissists is people who resent their parents for parenting, but sometimes there are links ITT to that essay and forum about actual *real* narcissist parents and it's a horror show. If this guy has got these people figured out, and they're really like that, I wouldn't blame him for not wanting a "free" million dollars as something to be held over his head for the next couple decades. It would be demands for unrestricted access to the kids and their home, decision-making about school and college and medical things, etc etc until they die.
But if they've already set up the trust and he doesn't even really want the trust then I dunno how they can use it as a threat? I mean obviously they're going to hypothetically be more able to spin that to a kid who doesn't know poo poo than their adult child who already distrusts them, but I feel like someone who's going to play that sort of headgame usually sets things up so the 'prize' can be yanked away at a moment's notice if their target doesn't comply.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

life is a joke posted:

Just Say No

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

CheesyDog posted:

r/legaladvice
u/concernedparent212

Gilmore Girls reboot is going darker.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

CheesyDog posted:

r/legaladvice
u/concernedparent212

Mom/Dad is real mad they're not going to be able to steal their daughter's money.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
My [30 M] GF [29 F] of 3 years posted pictures of herself with her celebrity fling for Valentines Day.

quote:

My GF had a fling with a A-List celebrity in the 2000's. I have never felt particularly threatened or jealous about it, it was a long time ago and we all have a dating history.

My GF is very active on social media and has a following in the tens of thousands. I on the other hand am not particularly active, neither in posting or following.

I have been away this week so I uncharacteristically checked out her social media. Yesterday she posted a nice collage for Valentines Day of pictures and videos of us on her story. It was not for my eyes, but it was quite touching to see so many nice moments strung together.

However after the collage of us she posted several pictures of her with her celebrity fling framed under the heading "speaking of romance, throwback to when i dated ...". Nothing particularly intimate, but some partying, hugging, lap-sitting etc.

I understand why she would do it. Her (primarily female) following probably bombarded her with attention and questions. At the time they dated this guy was as famous as they get. Its a notch in her belt so to speak.

But it really bummed me out. Imagine if I would post pictures of me together with an ex gf (#throwback). I don't think the celebrity factor makes it ok.

She did post a disclaimer after the series of pictures. "If you see this OP please dont be sad". Somehow this message made it worse. It was humiliating.

It really ruined my mood to the point that I cant think of anything else. I haven't responded to texts or calls because I am so irritated that no good could come of it.

This feels like this is a deal breaker for me. She took a calculated risk and hoped that I wouldn't see it. The imaginary internet acclaim was worth the risk of potentially hurting my feelings.

My question is: how would you react if your SO posted pics of himself/herself in the arms of an ex partner? Does it make it less serious if he/she was famous? and the message she is conveying is "holy poo poo, look who i hosed".

TL:DR: GF posted pics of her in the arms of her celebrity fling for Valentines Day and it bummed me out.

They never say who it was :(

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

La Brea Carpet posted:

My [30 M] GF [29 F] of 3 years posted pictures of herself with her celebrity fling for Valentines Day.

I could swear there was another like that a few days ago

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Biplane posted:

I have done and will do many dumb things in my life, but praising Leon Einstein for anything is not one of them.

i am never sincere when i post like that.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Good username

quote:

Posted byu/dysonbully
1 hour ago
AITA for suggesting I vacuum my girlfriend’s face?
I was on a date with my girlfriend and everything was going well. She was thinking about purchasing a fancy LED face mask when the conversation switched too their appliances, specifically Dyson products. I jokingly suggested we switch all our appliances to Dyson products, and that we could even replace the LED face mask with a vacuum you could use on your face. Ridiculous stuff but I was feeling a bit silly.

My girlfriend instantly froze and got extremely upset. Apparently a proper boyfriend would never dare suggest vacuuming his girlfriends face, and doing so is such an insult it borders on abuse. A couple points before I go further: my girlfriend is from Korea and English is her second language. There are definitely a couple cultural differences I’m (still) working on.

I care a lot about her wellbeing and would never intentionally hurt her feelings, so I asked what about the comment was so abhorrent. I couldn’t come up with a clear answer as it’s so obviously an insult that even a kid should know not to say that. All her Korean girlfriends would immediately support her on this too, that a boyfriend should NEVER say something like this. It really is something only an rear end in a top hat would do.

For some additional context, something similar did happen some years ago. I don’t remember the details, but my girlfriend jokingly chastised me for being messy. I jokingly replied back in a “no u”, and said she was dirty. I guess she thought I implied she was some kind of promiscuous girl and was so angry and upset she started crying. I kept a mental note never to joke around in ways that might be interpreted as demeaning her character.

But this last comment with the vacuum was so ridiculous, and the context so harmless, it hadn’t crossed my mind. And I’m still having a difficult time wrapping my head around how it could be interpreted to be that offensive.

Hope to see some nuanced answers here to help me understand what’s going on.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Power Khan posted:

Good username

Beauty products and plastic surgery in Korea are huge industries and have even started to affect children.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for accidentally outting my cheating husband?

Some background: my husband is a Marine, so he has to work the same job with the same people without the option to just quit, and adultery could result in a dishonorable discharge for him.

So my husband cheated on me by sending and receiving naked pics of himself and other men on the gay dating app Grindr (this was surprising bc we are a straight couple and I had no idea he liked guys too). Then he lied continuously when I confronted him about it. Fast forward 2 months, we are always fighting because he did this to me so I vented about it all to my only friend who happened to be married to one of his coworkers. She told me a secret about her marriage in return as assurance that she wouldn't tell her husband. But, of course she did tell him and he spread it all around work. My husband asked me to lie and tell everyone including my only friend that I made it up because I was mad at him. Then I did exactly that. I asked him not to talk poo poo about me around his work and he told me if he didnt call me a crazy lying bitch then it would seem suspicious. I asked him to say I dont want to talk about it if anyone brought it up and he said he can't say that because it would seem suspicious. I feel bad because now everyone at his work knows and is not really talking to him and he could potentially get in trouble (unlikely since he didnt do anything physical). But on the other hand he is acting insanely entitled about the situation.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

quote:

AITA for not wanting to have sex with my husband until he goes to the dentist?
My husband hasn’t gone to the dentist in 6 years (since before I met him) and in the last year his breath has become rancid. I work in a hospital and it reminds me of 80 year old, never-brushes-their-teeth grossness. The smell is pungent enough I can smell it when I’m sitting next to him on the couch, or when we’re in the car together.

Because of this, our sex life has gone downhill. Kissing no longer happens because I am disgusted at the smell and state of his mouth, and I can’t get into the right head space for me to be able to orgasm when we do have sex. I’ve tried having him brush his teeth right before sex and it helps, but only marginally.

I’ve tried to talk him into going to the dentist but he refuses, and I’m not sure why. It’s not an issue of insurance, money, time, or anything else I can think of. Whenever I ask he makes up some excuse as to why he can’t call and make an appointment.

Anytime I bring this topic up my husband gets very defensive and makes it seem like it’s my fault for being grossed out by his mouth.

So, AITA for not wanting to have sex until he goes to the dentist and gets his mouth situation sorted out? I haven’t given him an ultimatum yet-and I’d rather not-but I really can’t stand to have my face within 3 feet of his. We’ve been dealing with this for a year and I’m not sure what to do.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

this story has physical abuse:

AITA for refusing to serve my ex-boyfriend so he has to drive 30+ for gas and groceries?

I am a pretty small woman. I consider myself more personality than a person because I am about 5'2 and 110 pounds on a bad day. I have always been the type of person to stand up for myself and for the most part people respect that.
When I was 19, I got involved with a local boy named Zack. We are the same age and went to the same HS. Zack and his sister got involved in drugs and he became a bit of a deadbeat. But I was "in love" and pulled a Little Mermaid "but I love him Daddy!" when my parents told me he was bad news.

They were right. One night he accused me of cheating and beat me up pretty bad. I had a black eye, fractured wrist, and bruises for weeks. He went to prison but agreed to rehab in exchange for probation. Since then he has successfully gotten his life back together.
He recently moved back into town and is married, with a kid of his own. I don't hold a grudge, but I refuse to have anything to do with him. He scared the living crap out of me.

The problem is that we live in a rural area. His wife comes into the store all the time, but when Zack comes by, I refuse to serve him. Everyone knows what happened because it's a small town and I wasn't quiet about what he did. I told everybody what happened. So did my sisters and brother.

We are in our thirties now and I still don't want anything to do with him. I don't believe I need to be the bigger person. I don't care that he is sober. I could care less about his life. I am 100% okay with serving his wife, I just won't serve him.

Because of this, my manager has asked if I want Zack banned. I said I would like that because I still get this feeling in my gut that's a mix between fear and anger. I have been to therapy, but the moment still haunts me. I think I might have PTSD, but have not been diagnoses. But it feels like I am back in that moment when I see his face.

His wife came to talk to me the other day. She says Zack has expressed multiple times that he is sorry for what happened. I told her I didn't care, he could have killed me, she is free to shop here but he is not. And my manager agrees. He is not welcome.
AITA?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nah that's totally fair and also let me say that it's real cool and unexpected that the manager would back her up on that instead of firing her immediately for not smiling at her abuser and cheerfully wishing him a pleasant day

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Sagebrush posted:

nah that's totally fair and also let me say that it's real cool and unexpected that the manager would back her up on that instead of firing her immediately for not smiling at her abuser and cheerfully wishing him a pleasant day

Probably has something to do with her speaking up, having family support her, and turning the community against him. :3: warms the cockles, it does

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for thinking of breaking up with my bf because he believes in alt-right conspiracies.

Let me just say this guy is perfect for me in almost every way. Sexually he fulfills me, physically he looks great, he makes me smile, he makes me feel very comfortable and I hope I do the same for him.

But (there's always but).

He does have some slightly unconvential opinions, which he doesn't really express with me (because I told him to knock it off) unless there are other people around, my and his family and friends. So, he basically believes everything he sees on right and alt-right forums. He believes in conspiracies including jews, muslims, lizards, tap water with estrogen in it. He whines everytime there's a woman or a person of color in video games. He says we're witnessing a white genocide because of the feminists and he's against abortions, but when we had a pregnancy scare, he told me he'd be ok with me getting an abortion.

Other than him being stupid sometimes, he's a good fellow. He treats me well, my parents like him, I like him. But we end up fighting every couple of days because he believes in this stupid poo poo, like jews running literally all the banks in the world and tap water turning men gay.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

Chomp8645 posted:

Research has shown the Amber Alert system is pretty bad. And not, like, "it only has a small chance of saving someone" bad. But more like"it doesn't find the target and wastes a bunch of resources in the process" bad.

In theory, it shouldwork. "Blue Hyundai Elantra with this plate, call it in!" Seems easy enough. The main issue is that human beings are actually over eager to respond and muck it up. So in practice you don't just get Blue Hyundai Elantras called in (regardless of plate). You get every single Elantra on the road called in, plus half the Hyundais on the road of any model/color, and then a bunch of cars just because they're blue. The Amber Alert draws in so many false leads that it ends up wasting emergency service's time to the point that even if the target car is called in, they're probably too busy to go get it. And this is without even considering yahoo vigilantes who will take some misguided action to intercept or detain the wrong vehicle, causing even more problems.

The guy is correct that Amber Alert sucks, but not for the reason given.

Thank you for all this made up bullshit you know nothing about

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for thinking of breaking up with my bf because he believes in alt-right conspiracies.

Let me just say this guy is perfect for me in almost every way. Sexually he fulfills me, physically he looks great, he makes me smile, he makes me feel very comfortable and I hope I do the same for him.

He does have some slightly unconvential opinions, which he doesn't really express with me (because I told him to knock it off) unless there are other people around, my and his family and friends. So, he basically believes everything he sees on right and alt-right forums. He believes in conspiracies including jews, muslims, lizards, tap water with estrogen in it. He whines everytime there's a woman or a person of color in video games. He says we're witnessing a white genocide because of the feminists and he's against abortions, but when we had a pregnancy scare, he told me he'd be ok with me getting an abortion.

Other than him being stupid sometimes, he's a good fellow. He treats me well, my parents like him, I like him. But we end up fighting every couple of days because he believes in this stupid poo poo, like jews running literally all the banks in the world and tap water turning men gay.

slightly unconventional opinions, like unrepentant racism and bigotry, plus he's dumb as a brick

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Nah not even a little bit

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I [28f] want to know if my SO [28m] could be lying about flowers missing from a valentine's bouquet.

quote:

Okay so my SO and I are not officially together in the sense of a title and sometimes I make a big deal over it, sometimes not. Either way, his friends know, my friends and parents know since it's been a year and some of exclusive dating. Now my guy is very sweet, very nice, like to the point of giving a stranger a ride home. So I got him some cute elementary type valentine's day cards and wrote some lovey dovey stuff and hid them in his gloves and switch case.

He responds by getting me a bouquet of yellow/orange roses, a card, and a box of assorted tea (as opposed to chocolates which I don't like). Then we went to eat. On the way back, I notice a rose in space between the passenger side and the door of the car as I was getting out and I honestly thought nothing of it except that maybe it fell out. I was carrying the food and focusing on not slipping on ice to grab it. So I get inside and go to put the roses in water and the plastic does say 12 roses from Columbia, so I count in my head and there's only 8. I put them in water and a ton of leaves fell out when I opened it. I still thought nothing of it just that there were a lot of leaves. He was in the kitchen also watching me put the flowers away.

Next day in retrospect, I realized the flowers couldn't fall out because they were rubber banded with the plant food. But also if 4 flowers were pulled out then of course there was a lot of leaves. In order to give him the benefit of the doubt, I ask if he got anyone anything for valentine's day since I figure maybe he took some to his mom or sister but he said no. He ends up saying he did give a friend something small for valentine's day and it was "something small but not bigger than what I got and it's not someone you know" I asked (lightheartedly) if he got her something good like a box of chocolates which he deflects and says I feel like you didn't enjoy your gift. I said no I enjoy it because you know me and I wouldn't ever eat a box of chocolates but I drop the whole conversation.

The whole thing is bugging me so I had a conversation late last night about trust and random things, and then I said my mom brought it up to me that I only had 8 flowers and I then I remembered seeing one in your car. Where's the other three? He says "what? I'll go check tomorrow. Maybe it fell out because I drove crazy and the flowers might have fallen." I said yea maybe. He says "if I find them, do you want them?" and I said "yes I'll use the plant food that was rubber banded to the flowers to nurse them back to life if anything." (I said this purposely so maybe he'd catch that they couldn't have just fallen out because of the rubber band) So he said sure he'd look tomorrow. Tomorrow is here, no word on the flowers. But if anything I'd bet he'd say they were dead and threw them out. No picture, no proof and I just have to give him the benefit of the doubt. But I don't know if I can.

There is no history of cheating on either part. He has been cheated on so he hates cheaters. I'm not mad about cheating per se but it's about trust and honesty. But I don't know whether to believe him or not. So what should I say? Should I believe him and drop it? Or?

TL;DR SO gave me a bouquet of 8 roses when the package says 12. I realize one fell out in his car and the other three are missing. Should I believe he doesn't know what happened to them?

Hey reddit, should I throw this lit dynamite into the middle of my undefined relationship?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

uhhhhhhhhhh

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Some background: my husband is a Marine, so he has to work the same job with the same people without the option to just quit, and adultery could result in a dishonorable discharge for him.

So my husband cheated on me by sending and receiving naked pics of himself and other men on the gay dating app Grindr (this was surprising bc we are a straight couple and I had no idea he liked guys too). Then he lied continuously when I confronted him about it. Fast forward 2 months, we are always fighting because he did this to me so I vented about it all to my only friend who happened to be married to one of his coworkers. She told me a secret about her marriage in return as assurance that she wouldn't tell her husband. But, of course she did tell him and he spread it all around work. My husband asked me to lie and tell everyone including my only friend that I made it up because I was mad at him. Then I did exactly that. I asked him not to talk poo poo about me around his work and he told me if he didnt call me a crazy lying bitch then it would seem suspicious. I asked him to say I dont want to talk about it if anyone brought it up and he said he can't say that because it would seem suspicious. I feel bad because now everyone at his work knows and is not really talking to him and he could potentially get in trouble (unlikely since he didnt do anything physical). But on the other hand he is acting insanely entitled about the situation.

lol at a beard not knowing shes a beard. hes physically repulsed by me and is always involved in homoerotic games with the immature friends. Also alot of people still in the closet in the military are predators. why come out then i cant oil check dudes in their silkies

snergle fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 16, 2019

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

La Brea Carpet posted:

I [28f] want to know if my SO [28m] could be lying about flowers missing from a valentine's bouquet.

Hey reddit, should I throw this lit dynamite into the middle of my undefined relationship?

TL;DR SO gave me a bouquet of 8 roses when the package says 12. I realize one fell out in his car and the other three are missing. Should I believe he doesn't know what happened to them?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

La Brea Carpet posted:

Does he have an Instagram? Because he should post pictures of the two of them with the caption "speaking of romance, throwback to when we used to date ..." and never look back.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

You're an rear end in a top hat if you DON'T break up with him.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

snergle posted:

uhhhhhhhhhh

He's a good fellow that just believes in the conspiracy theory of *squints* hating women and people of color in mass media.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 16, 2019

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

13Pandora13 posted:

So like...how lovely is your 4 year old that you're concerned about the nightmare they'll be as an adult with millions of dollars?

No parent wants to see their child go to the guillotine

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Power Khan posted:

Good username

Op should ask her if she's afraid of fan death from the vacuum.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Hahaha loving lol at "they'll be suspicious at work if I'm not calling you a lying bitch"

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

this story has physical abuse:

AITA for refusing to serve my ex-boyfriend so he has to drive 30+ for gas and groceries?

This lady is cool, and lucky to have people around her that support her. It's awesome that her manager is like, "I'll totally ban him. Just say the word." I also like her attitude of not giving a gently caress about looking like the bigger person, or how great a guy Zack is, now. She rightfully understands that this is about her experience with Zack, and not about anyone else's experience with Zack. I hope she gets help for her PTSD.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

La Brea Carpet posted:

Okay so my SO and I are not officially together in the sense of a title and sometimes I make a big deal over it, sometimes not. Either way, his friends know, my friends and parents know since it's been a year and some of exclusive dating.
I don't care about the flowers, I just want to know if this makes sense to anyone. If you're dating exclusively for over a year and all your friends and family know what exactly is the title you're looking for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I don't care about the flowers, I just want to know if this makes sense to anyone. If you're dating exclusively for over a year and all your friends and family know what exactly is the title you're looking for?

Queen of Dramashire apparently.