Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

JoelJoel posted:

Alright, hosers. This was on the set of The Beaverton (Canadian version of the Onion) TV show. It's funny because I'm wearing a CBC shirt on a CTV set :canada:.

Don't make fun of people for things they have no control over or I'll tear down your house.

Lol look at this nerd that has to duck through doorways
Lol this dork can’t fit comfortably in bus or airline seats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
There's a gray area with bad people and making fun of their looks, it seems. If it's really obvious they're sensitive and have a huge vanity issue, their looks are an easy target. But a lot of folks seem to really lay into it, like they're finally glad they get to use all these super good short/fat/ugly/bald/etc burns and not get called out for it. When you make a thousand "Ben Shapiro is short" jokes and you're no longer engaging with the fact that he's also a Nazi, it's obvious you really just want to be making fun of short people.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

There's a gray area with bad people and making fun of their looks, it seems. If it's really obvious they're sensitive and have a huge vanity issue, their looks are an easy target. But a lot of folks seem to really lay into it, like they're finally glad they get to use all these super good short/fat/ugly/bald/etc burns and not get called out for it. When you make a thousand "Ben Shapiro is short" jokes and you're no longer engaging with the fact that he's also a Nazi, it's obvious you really just want to be making fun of short people.

Actually it seems obvious you want to make fun of Ben Shapiro.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Biplane posted:

Actually it seems obvious you want to make fun of Ben Shapiro.

For being short. Which seems entirely separate from him being a white supremacist, but people have their own priorities, I guess.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

For being short. Which seems entirely separate from him being a white supremacist, but people have their own priorities, I guess.

You make fun of Ben Shapiro for being short because he takes it extremely seriously dude. Telling Ben Shapiro hes a nazi won’t affect him at all, but because he’s a nazi making fun of him for being short, which bothers him immensely, is good and cool. I would never make fun of a good person for being short, but making fun of terrible assholes is good and should be encouraged.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Except when he never sees most of those jokes, such as on a dead comedy forum he never goes to, or twitter threads he's not even tagged in. Yet a ton of people do it, and the same for other bad people. Not because they know it's "really gonna bother" the bad person, but because they want to make a short/fat/whatever joke. Just saying, context matters for how you're making these jokes and who you're making them to.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I think it's because short people can't help it, that it's often not seen as all that offensive. Unlike with, say, fat people, it lacks a moral dimension, so the humor in those cases usually comes from how much of an rear end in a top hat the person making the joke is.

Then you have the people who go on endlessly about how manlets are not really people and all that stuff, to the point that it becomes uncomfortable and weird. I always assume those people have 'interesting' evopsych opinions on other matters as well

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Biplane posted:

I would never make fun of a good person for being short, but making fun of terrible assholes is good and should be encouraged.

I have seen the exact same argument used by gamers calling people slurs, so that may not be the ironclad defense you think it is.

The point is that you're still showing that you think it's a bad thing.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Both Nazis and short people are really bad for the gene pool

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

So just call him Dollfuss and be done.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

I have seen the exact same argument used by gamers calling people slurs, so that may not be the ironclad defense you think it is.

I think it can be justified in the case of, say, a neo-nazi failing to meet up to his own standards. Though I have to say I never much liked that either, it kind of implies that their arguments would hold more weight if they actually were a tall, blonde, blue-eyed Aryan god with a prominent chin. It doesn't matter, they're shitheads either way and it's kind of iffy to use Nazi standards to judge them.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Mierenneuker posted:

Hmm, can't help but notice you misspelled it.

This was not unappreciated.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Puppy Time posted:

That's kind of a good point I guess. I mean, I don't think it's a bad thing but I know Ben Shapiro does but I get what you're saying.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Don't. Make. Fun. Of. Things. That. Are. Not. Choices.

homosexuality is not a choice either, you excrement.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

gbut posted:

homosexuality is not a choice either, you excrement.

so obesity is still cool right? because I heard that orange man has that one officially now

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage

Mierenneuker posted:

Hmm, can't help but notice you misspelled it.

Joke's on you, you can absolutely euk a mieren.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

500 good dogs posted:

so obesity is still cool right? because I heard that orange man has that one officially now

Maybe. Some fat fucks are just lazy and decadent. Some people don't have the time or money to eat well or exercise enough. In a better society, obesity would always be a choice.

Best to just stick to judging people by their character and actions and just try to be nice in general. It's also good to be nice to animals.

Blue people can gently caress off, tho.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Think it's the same with fat people - making a throwaway joke is funny, going on obsessively about it in GBS and 'ironically' bringing up eugenics/the gene pool all the time, less so.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You can't make fun of Ben Shapiro for being short because comedy should always punch up, and that's physically impossible with him.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fister Roboto posted:

You can't make fun of Ben Shapiro for being short because comedy should always punch up, and that's physically impossible with him.

:discourse:

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

500 good dogs posted:

chuds are still doing the npcs meme?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Rumda posted:

Na it's not if someone jacks off to it it's if the creator made it to be beaten off to.
According to the theory of critique known as Little Death Of The Author, that is not necessarily so.

RareAcumen posted:

It's like two Rob Liefeld characters standing in front of each other.
Nah, there isn't anything hiding the feet.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

gbut posted:

So it's cool to make fun of religion then?

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Memento posted:

Always

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Memento posted:

Eh, making fun of kids or teens for their religion is rude. They didn't pick it and they may grow out of it. If you mock them for it you're just feeding into the narrative that their religion is a persecuted minority that needs to double down to defend themselves.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Facebook Aunt posted:

Eh, making fun of kids or teens for their religion is rude. They didn't pick it and they may grow out of it. If you mock them for it you're just feeding into the narrative that their religion is a persecuted minority that needs to double down to defend themselves.

So, sit down,be quiet, never say anything lest you offend or upset someone.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Johnny Aztec posted:

If you can't think of insults that don't involve how fat someone is or the fact that they were raised Lutheran or whatever, then maybe just shut up, yeah.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pick a religion, every one you choose will take on a different flavor in context with history / racial/ethnic associations / inherent attitudes toward other religions / power and privilege. Some religions are clearly fair game for mockery, and others are like HOLY gently caress NO.

In conclusion, making fun of people for their religion is a land of contrasts

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

If you can't think of insults that don't involve how fat someone is or the fact that they were raised Lutheran or whatever, then maybe just shut up, yeah.

Can I make fun of Scientologists?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Johnny Aztec posted:

Can I make fun of Scientologists?

If you like getting sued, sure.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Memento posted:

Only if it's one of the silly wrong ones, like Christianity, Judaism, or Hinduism

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

totally, guy who's been probated and banned numerous times for unabashed racism

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Oh god. Here we go. This will surely go well.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Except when he never sees most of those jokes, such as on a dead comedy forum he never goes to, or twitter threads he's not even tagged in. Yet a ton of people do it, and the same for other bad people. Not because they know it's "really gonna bother" the bad person, but because they want to make a short/fat/whatever joke. Just saying, context matters for how you're making these jokes and who you're making them to.

He's seen me mock him on Twitter for being short. It's how I got blocked.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

jobson groeth posted:

He's seen me mock him on Twitter for being short. It's how I got blocked.

Blocked by a short guy who isn't Muggsy Bogues? Your game's weak kid.

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage
Greetings fellow veterans of all things cyber, I have a picture that I find amusing.
I've had it since 2002 and it still makes me chuckle.
It's not obscene or anything but it may be considered a bit risqué, IYKWIM.

Is this the right place to post it?

Edit:

Mr Havafap has a new favorite as of 00:04 on Feb 17, 2019

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Johnny Aztec posted:

You specifically, yes. Everyone else is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Mr Havafap posted:

Greetings fellow veterans of all things cyber, I have a picture that I find amusing.
I've had it since 2002 and it still makes me chuckle.
It's not obscene or anything but it may be considered a bit risqué, IYKWIM.

Is this the right place to post it?

is this some sort of performance art thing