Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Help Im Alive posted:

Do you think they'll ever do a Persona with adults or are we stuck in Japanese high school forever
Being in a high school setting is what characterizes the Persona series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

Do you think they'll ever do a Persona with adults or are we stuck in Japanese high school forever

maybe they'll add stands to Yakuza

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

You would think at some point there would be a game targeting the modern purposeless and disaffected 20s-30s adult market.

The difficulty would be figuring out how the party would even meet each other.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
"I pretended to be useless dead weight for 2 years to get you fired up to try harder!"

This is an actual plot point in Anthem

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment had adults

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Chev posted:

Being in a high school setting is what characterizes the Persona series.

Yeah so make it about the teachers.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So the new Fire Emblem?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

chumbler posted:

You would think at some point there would be a game targeting the modern purposeless and disaffected 20s-30s adult market.

haunted phone gently caress apps, they think they're hooking up and they are, but with a ghost

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

me: i hate cops. i do not respect persona's respect for cops

me: when's astral chain coming out

xilliablade chronicles x is going to rule

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Phantasium posted:

xilliablade chronicles x is going to rule

Gonna be honest I don't really see why people are making an association between Astral Chains and Xenoblade X, beyond like being futuristic and there are mechs.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Make it teachers and also the MC is a woman.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You, uh, walk around a town at one point???

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

chumbler posted:

That'd be Catherine.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

The two persona teachers I can think of are the P3 one who falls in love with you on an MMORPG and the P5 one you pay to dress up as a maid

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Help Im Alive posted:

The two persona teachers I can think of are the P3 one who falls in love with you on an MMORPG and the P5 one you pay to dress up as a maid

OK but I am saying make it good.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

there's the ugly p4 teacher whom gets murdered

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Here are the party members
MC who teaches history
School Counselor who has a dark secert
Science Teacher who is lazy
PE Teacher who is a huge softie
School Janitor who long to clean up crime but now cleans up the halls

e: oh yeah it needs a bad mascot character uhh, uhh a turtle

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 16, 2019

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Snooze Cruise posted:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think escaping back to high school is the whole point.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Life Sim stuff in teacher game: Do you allocate time to make lesson plans, or go home to play video games and relax, or get drunk with the nurse

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
persona 4 had the lady teacher where the joke is that she constantly implied she wanted to gently caress all of her students

and also morooka who's joke is that he was an awful sleazeball until the one moment in the game where they decided to suddenly have everyone say "but y'know he had good attributes"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Snooze Cruise posted:

Life Sim stuff in teacher game: Do you allocate time to make lesson plans, or go home to play video games and relax, or get drunk with the nurse

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dehry posted:

I think escaping back to high school is the whole point.

I guess that's why I've never been able to get into games like Persona. I loving hated High School and never wanna even think about going to it again.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

chumbler posted:

An American college would be a great setting for a persona game imo.

Snooze Cruise posted:

OK but I am saying make it good.

Kawakami is good though :(

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

An American college would be a great setting for a persona game imo.

Life is Strange 3: This Time There's Jojo Fights

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

chumbler posted:

Oyasumi Punpursona

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

chumbler posted:

Gonna be honest I don't really see why people are making an association between Astral Chains and Xenoblade X, beyond like being futuristic and there are mechs.

Just the thought that popped into my head when the trailer was first going because of the character and armor design of main twins and the futuristic setting, made me think they were doing a prequel at first of the start of the alien invasion or something and now that thought has stuck. I know the gameplay and actual setting and everything else have nothing to do with it.

Also I wanted to do a portmanteau with Tales of Xillia because it's what the link thing reminds me of.

Doesn't help that I for the briefest of moments thought it was a KH3 port because the way it dropped reminded me of that fake game trailer you see before going to Toy Story world.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Accordion Man posted:

I really wish there was something good to fill that Persona niche of urban fantasy with a focus of also balancing your normal life type stuff.

That's Atelier

chumbler posted:

The point is to offer a fantasy of returning to the last time the stereotypical disaffected 30-something Japanese worker was happy, which is high school

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Oh my god the ending to Anthem is the most anticlimactic thing ever

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Just watching various stream of it gives me the impression that it's the Starbound to Destiny's Terraria (not that Destiny is as good as Terarria). Disappointing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Internet Kraken posted:

:qq: the ends are bad :qq:

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

I do legitimately think the formula the Persona games have come up with is extremely solid. Persona 5, a game I was largely disappointed with for most of my run, still left me feeling restless when I finished because I loved running around that city. I still want a game in that style with that setup, where you have clean breaks between the life simulation parts and the gameplay and have the two feed into each other. Just, you know, it also needs to be married to a story and cast that can carry it to the finish line without tripping over itself constantly.

theres definitely other games that use parts of the persona formula (trails of cold steel, tokyo xanadu, umm the caligula effect i think? havent played that one so i dont know exactly what it is) but none of them have atlus's budget or style and i don't think any other JRPGs exist that do the day-by-day life sim thing rather than just have designated dungeon segments and school life segments. Atelier has time management but it works pretty differently and it doesn't use a school setting other than Mana Khemia and also the tone is obviously much lighter.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Macaluso posted:

It's really weird this is even a thing that's happening, because they seemed to handle Lala Escargot perfectly fine. in Persona 5, outside of like a single line where you have the option to ask "do I have to cross dress?" when getting a job with her, she is otherwise handled great. Like, no one ever refers to her as a man, no one ever gets her pronouns wrong, there's never a scene where a character is like "whoa hold on THAT'S A DUDE! Gross!" or anything. All the regulars at the bar treat her normally, etc. So it's not like they're not capable of handling this kind of thing better. They just choose not to in Catherine's case or gay characters in general. Though I guess Lala-chan is technically not trans and just cross dresses so maybe they don't consider it the same thing.
Lala Escargot is literal scene dressing with seven lines in the whole game. She isn't even an s. link. We do not know enough of her internal life to even know if she's a transwoman, a drag queen who identifies outside the binary, a cis man who enjoys crossdressing, or even just a cis woman. Why do people keep bringing her up.

Literally the only reason Lala stands out is because something vaguely queerish got to exist on screen in a modern Persona game for five consecutive seconds without Hashino making GBS threads himself in sheer terror. That isn't impressive.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 16, 2019

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Re2 question: what happens if you do the gator chase scene with no weapons?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

Re2 question: what happens if you do the gator chase scene with no weapons?

There is a grenade at the end you can pick up

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

Lala Escargot is literal scene dressing with seven lines in the whole game. She isn't even an s. link. We do not know enough of her internal life to even know if she's a transwoman, a drag queen who identifies outside the binary, a cis man who enjoys crossdressing, or even just a cis woman. Why do people keep bringing her up.

Literally the only reason Lala stands out is because something vaguely queerish got to exist on screen in a modern Persona game for five consecutive seconds without Hashino making GBS threads himself in sheer terror. That isn't impressive.

I couldn't even tell you what Lala looks like since they don't have a dialogue portrait.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

The point is to offer a fantasy of returning to the last time the stereotypical disaffected 30-something Japanese worker was happy, which is high school

Yes we all know that, but I think it's maybe not helping that whole issue when media says you stop existing past that.

Also high school settings give narrative convenience to have people around each other without really needing to build up much backstory or excuse for them to meet.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

chumbler posted:

Yes we all know that, but I think it's maybe not helping that whole issue when media says you stop existing past that.

Also high school settings give narrative convenience to have people around each other without really needing to build up much backstory or excuse for them to meet.

like you can't use a salaryman setting to use this same excuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
apex legends is very boring and I acquit myself of it at once

movement and gun feedback are great but this battle royale poo poo is worse than baseball

ages of nothing in hopes that something will happen