Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If you liked that, you should check out Spring by the same guys. I don’t know if it’s streaming anywhere, but it’s a really solid indie monster flick with a unique setting for the genre.

I haven’t seen their first movie, Resolution, but I hear it’s also very solid.

I watched Resolution after Endless and was really disappointed - but I don’t think I would have been the other way round.

Spring was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah watching Resolution before Endless is pretty key to getting the most out of them both

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I actually think I enjoyed Resolution more than The Endless. Watched resolution first though. Spring is the best of the three for sure.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Hell or High Water is on Netflix and it's really good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

God Hole posted:

Martha Marcy May Marlene is a really good, "grounded" depiction of a young woman's (played by Emily Olsen) attempts to leave a backwoods cult. Really unsettling cinematography.

John Hawkes is probably as good as you're gonna get for someone playing Manson.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Put me in the pile people who really enjoyed Russian Doll. great ending.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I managed to watch 30 minutes of Russian Doll but I pretty much hated every character in it and stopped there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Unzip and Attack posted:

Hell or High Water is on Netflix and it's really good.

I've seen that movie three times now and every time I wish they'd spend more time in that restaurant ordering t-bone steaks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well, you missed out on a lot of good character development then. Nadia being a kind of unlikable narcissistic hipster is actually pretty fundamental to the story tbh.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Put me in the pile people who really enjoyed Russian Doll. great ending.

I liked it as well. People were asking why Nadia kept dying by falling down the stairs and the way I saw it, it was because Alan was doing something in his timeline that led to a more quick and definitive death.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Superrodan posted:

I liked it as well. People were asking why Nadia kept dying by falling down the stairs and the way I saw it, it was because Alan was doing something in his timeline that led to a more quick and definitive death.

Yeah, although it's not explicitly stated in the show, it seems safe to assume based on what you eventually learn that Alan was going through quick, despairing deaths by suicide after a few cycles and realizing that he was trapped.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Teddybear posted:

Yeah, although it's not explicitly stated in the show, it seems safe to assume based on what you eventually learn that Alan was going through quick, despairing deaths by suicide after a few cycles and realizing that he was trapped.

Until he realises he really likes the predictability and starts to lean in to it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Just got done with Nightflyers, and on the whole it was pretty nyeeh. Started out fairly strong, but it kinda fell apart at the end and the conclusion was pretty bad.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

If CNNGo counts as streaming, check out Three Identical Strangers (sorry if I'm late to the party on this one).

It starts off super heart-warming. A guy starting community college learns he has an exact double and meets his identical twin, and they'd been separated at birth via adoption. The story goes viral in the news, causing their triplet to find out about them!

I loved the part about the three of them all first meeting each other, but by the end I was just so sad for the three of them after they'd come to find out the story behind their separation.they were specifically separated, to three distinct 'classes' of family as part of a 'nature vs. nurture' psychology experiment

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Watched Velvet Buzzsaw. I think I've decided that I liked it. Despite having bad bits, the artsy weird world and the characters they created kept me interested. The whole horror part could have been cut from the movie and I think it may have been better off?

Polar was fun. Leave your brain at the door, look at boobs, and watch people die.

Minding the Gap on Hulu was really good for a documentary. I think it was advertised as a skate documentary, and it's more about a group of friends who were documented over their prime teenage years and are now in adulthood without knowing what the gently caress to do. It's anguishing and frustrating in many scenes. It's so very real. You need to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5Vm_Awe3bw

Philthy fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 14, 2019

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Minding the Gap is excellent.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Abducted in Plain Sight yikes.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Holy moly the 4th season of Continuum is dire

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Filthy Hans posted:

Holy moly the 4th season of Continuum is dire

Continuum was a show I really wanted to like but just couldn’t reconcile the shows poor messaging and increasingly unqualified endorsement of the main characters gestapo membership with it’s cool aesthetic and premise. I think Altered Carbon was basically just better in every way, even though it was also very flawed

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Frog Act posted:

Continuum was a show I really wanted to like but just couldn’t reconcile the shows poor messaging and increasingly unqualified endorsement of the main characters gestapo membership with it’s cool aesthetic and premise. I think Altered Carbon was basically just better in every way, even though it was also very flawed

The future dystopia flashbacks got really crazy by the third season, my favorite was when Kiera and her jackboot squad were busting up some event and she found their confidential informant and was told to execute him and said "no he's our guy on the inside, maybe we shouldn't murder our own asset are you sure about this" so they bypassed her central nervous system, turned her into a meat puppet and used her hijacked corpus to assassinate the dude, then gave her back control over her own body and she was just like "well that sucked" and went on jackbootin'

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
My wife and I binged all six episodes of Dating Around on Netflix last night. Simple enough premise where a guy/girl has five or six blind dates with another guy/girl and then chooses to go on a second date with. The look and feel of the show reminds me very much of The Hills, which may or may not be your thing. The first episode is tough to watch because the main subject is a bit dull (NYC transplant from South Florida with accompanying career change from finance to real estate), but the remaining episodes are all fantastic.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I'm on Episode 3 of The Umbrella Academy and I'm really enjoying it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Does it hold up the Wes Anderson’s X-Men vibe the trailers seem to be going for?

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Expanse season 3 is on amazon prime for free 99. Feels like two seasons packed into one, but I still watched the whole thing in 2 evenings on a work week :unsmigghh:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Finally. Also, is there any news on when season 4 is going to come out?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Argh quote isn't edit.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mystes posted:

Finally. Also, is there any news on when season 4 is going to come out?

This fall. There was some delay in the production because of the SyFy cancellation. The cast are saying it's the best season yet, which makes me hesitant because I thought that book 4 was the weakest, but the show hasn't let me down yet, so I'm still eager.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Book 4 was the weakest for me. The main threats felt redundant of the threats in book 3, didn’t feel as if it pushed the story forward as much as the first 3 books, and the last ‘cliffhanger ‘ ending wasn’t as good as the previous 3. The setting, that was pretty much the Wild West land grab in space, was cool though.

The tv show has consistently been better than the books, though.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

10 Beers posted:

I'm on Episode 3 of The Umbrella Academy and I'm really enjoying it.

Yeah, same. The promo material made it look like I'd really hate it, but I gave it a chance based on the cast and so far it's a lot better than I'd have expected.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I watched Pandorum last night because any movie starring Ben Foster has got to be at least pretty good, right?

nope

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
woof yeah no

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I like Umbrella Academy okay, but I'd probably like it more if it was more Wes Anderson-y. It just dips its toe into that, at least in the first episode.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 16, 2019

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

It basically feels like if Wes Anderson directed an X Men movie.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Zwabu posted:

It basically feels like if Wes Anderson directed an X Men movie.

https://youtu.be/UngE0qn3VRY

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
30 minutes in and Mom and Dad is awesome so far.

**edit this is peak Nick Cage. Watch it.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 16, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I started watching Pen15 on Hulu as background noise while I worked on something, but actually ended up quite liking it.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, Abducted in Plain Sight really is that hosed up.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

I started watching Pen15 on Hulu as background noise while I worked on something, but actually ended up quite liking it.

Yeah I really enjoyed it. Brought me back in a lot of ways

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Larry Charles's Dangerous World of Comedy is an absolute trip; but it veers into :stare: territory at times; he goes around interviewing people in different countries about how they use comedy to deal with their situations.

Episode 2 he's in Liberia talking to General Butt Naked asking if his unit of child soldiers used humor during the civil war and his 'humorous anecdote' is horrifying.

Episode 3 is kind of a low point because he wastes part of the episode interviewing those shitbirds weev and Baked Alaska

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

LadyPictureShow posted:

Larry Charles's Dangerous World of Comedy is an absolute trip; but it veers into :stare: territory at times; he goes around interviewing people in different countries about how they use comedy to deal with their situations.

Episode 2 he's in Liberia talking to General Butt Naked asking if his unit of child soldiers used humor during the civil war and his 'humorous anecdote' is horrifying.

Episode 3 is kind of a low point because he wastes part of the episode interviewing those shitbirds weev and Baked Alaska

He was on Gilbert Gottfried's podcast last week and he talked a lot of about the show. It's pretty crazy.