Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Wow I really want to play as the badass loot powered raiders who everyone hates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

vyelkin posted:

Devs read this thread and put my ideas in the game, confirmed.

My uncle works at Overhype Studios and I always read the thread to him.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

RabidWeasel posted:

Wow I really want to play as the badass loot powered raiders who everyone hates
Definitely my first run once this is out.
Probably my second and third as well.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Gobblecoque posted:

I've been running steel brow on everyone in my latest run and it's a night and day difference. No more lol random double damage is great. It even helps more than just resisting random crossbow deaths since now headshots in general aren't an "uh oh" moment but instead helps spread armor damage. I might try all colossus next run but if it is indeed plain better than steel brow as the two above posters argue then drat it's crazy op and in need of a nerf.

I actually take both on my "meat" bro's.

My meat bro's generally survive a very long time.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I am much more excited for all these new starting/company options than anything else they have ever announced for this game.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

I've been running steel brow on everyone in my latest run and it's a night and day difference. No more lol random double damage is great. It even helps more than just resisting random crossbow deaths since now headshots in general aren't an "uh oh" moment but instead helps spread armor damage. I might try all colossus next run but if it is indeed plain better than steel brow as the two above posters argue then drat it's crazy op and in need of a nerf.

I mean, both have their pros and cons. In my current game everybody (well, except archers) gets colossus and some people also get steel brow. In my last playthrough everybody got steel brow and nobody got colossus.

With Steel Brow you're immune to sudden huge drops in HP from headshots. Man With Crossbow isn't the villain he once was, and Goblin With Crossbow won't one-shot you either. But up against big damage-dealing enemies like orcs, it doesn't really matter if they're hitting your head or your body, 2 or 3 unlucky hits and you go down no matter what.

With Colossus you can still suffer really sudden drops in HP from headshots, but they almost certainly won't kill you and so you'll get a turn to withdraw your bro from combat, hide behind someone with a shield, that kind of thing. You have to get really unlucky and take two headshots in one turn to just suddenly die, and not even Man With Crossbow is usually that good. On the other hand, up against big damage-dealers like orcs you tend to last longer because you have a bigger HP pool to soak up. You also take fewer injuries which means you remain at peak performance more often, which makes fights easier in general.

I find overall I lose fewer bros with Colossus than with Steel Brow, but more often I'll have a bro get injured enough that I have to remove them from the fight and have them run away before they die, because one or two hits to the head is enough to put them in imminent danger of dying. That didn't happen as often with Steel Brow, but on the other hand they actually just died more often so there's that.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Night10194 posted:

I am much more excited for all these new starting/company options than anything else they have ever announced for this game.

Totally, I don't get why more games don't do this. It seems like there's a lot of weight put into different endings, but the beginning of the game is something everyone is going to see, every playthrough. I always thought Dragon Age: Origins had a good approach for this, and even then they threw it out the window for the sequels. I've probably killed Hoggart in the tutorial 500+ times at this point, I'm very excited to have another way to start off. The game-long conditions are interesting too!

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Legends Mod at Nexus.

quote:

Legends Mod
Tired of the same old hoggart fight? Its time to carve out your legend!

Choose from six powerful classes each with their own spells and abilities, customise the world to your liking and enter a world at war. This mod is hard,

An overhaul mod that increases replayability and variety. Provides alternate starts, magic, classes, world generation, art, effects, and AI changes.

Alternate Starts
Warlock: Spells to raise the dead and debuff enemies.
Seer: Powerful caster focused on control spells.
Crusader: Focus on heavy armor and righteous zeal
Ranger: Strong archer with footwork and pathfinder.
Berserker: Wildman with great AOE damage perks.
Officer: The ideal bannerman for a party of 27
Party: All of the above in a single party
Beggar: Start with nothing but the rags on your back....

more at link

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Super stoked about the different flavors of starting crews but some of the restrictions on hiring subsequent bros are a bummer. Why wouldn't a former-milita-unit-turned-mercenary band be able to hire dispossessed or adventurous nobles?
If someone wants to roleplay that way, fine, but it seems uncharacteristically restrictive of this game to say "nope, can't do that" regardless of how successful and wealthy your ol band o' bros may become.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Because then you'd just have a huge advantage with no downsides which would be stupid.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Can’t wait to be a hedge knight.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Nordick posted:

Because then you'd just have a huge advantage with no downsides which would be stupid.

I think 12 thoroughly disgruntled bums with lovely damaged equipment and no cash would be an interesting start. A race against desertion. "Poorly equipped schlubs" is fertile ground for misery in my imagination.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

marshmallow creep posted:

poo poo it's like they are reading this thread. That's great.

They do

Just kidding

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, I saw that, sounds pretty crazy.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

I've been playing Legends mod for the past 2 hours or so. It seems really stable if you don't deviate too far from the defaults on the map sliders (granted I did not play any one company for more than a handful of days..)

The one I enjoyed the most so far was the start with 1 guy armed with a knife and 40 gold. Negotiating advance pay, free-loading off caravan missions, and eventually hitting the mid-game of murdering peasants. You can start with up to 11 Noble factions on the map so there's never a shortage of houses to piss off.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Victor Vermis posted:

I've been playing Legends mod for the past 2 hours or so. It seems really stable if you don't deviate too far from the defaults on the map sliders (granted I did not play any one company for more than a handful of days..)

The one I enjoyed the most so far was the start with 1 guy armed with a knife and 40 gold. Negotiating advance pay, free-loading off caravan missions, and eventually hitting the mid-game of murdering peasants. You can start with up to 11 Noble factions on the map so there's never a shortage of houses to piss off.

Ive only tried the bezerker guy. He started with a 2handed flail. I took a perk that gives +10%dmg on aoe attacks. My first contract put me against 6 thieves and i killed all of them by my second turn. Fun so far!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I want a mod (or DLC!) where you play as greenskins. Greenskin camps are now settlements where warlords and shamans give you missions, and settlements are now the places you go raid for loot. The crisis is the three noble houses band together to come murder all the greenskins and drive you farther and farther into the wilderness.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
So played about 4 hours today and had a blast. Killed the bandit dude, hired 2 bros. My second contract was to kill some monsters terrorizing a village. Played very aggressively and lost 2 bros.

Purchased shields and spears for OG bros and new hires and my third contract was against 7 undead. I played uber conservitibly with a tight formation and let them come to me while spamming speer wall and only one bro who was flanking took a bunch of damage.

Super fun. What stats should I be focusing on as spear and shield guys? Fatigue, hp, melee attack and melee defense?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If you're planning to continue with spears for a while you'll need a lot of fatigue (spearwall is exhausting if you do for more than 1 or 2 turns) and melee attack (spearwall is useless if you miss even one attack).

You'll quickly discover, though, that while spears are great for letting your lovely low-level bros hit the broad side of a barn with their +20 to hit primary attack, they do very weak damage. Once your bros start hitting about 60 melee attack you're probably going to want to switch them to other types of weapons. Swords are another common one for early-game bros because their primary attack has +10 to hit but will do a lot more damage than a spear when you connect.

But this is a game where you will really benefit from diversity of weapons in your team, once your melee attack skills get high enough that you can actually connect with them.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I like to still keep a spearman or two around even later on. On a bro with higher melee attack skill the +20% to hit bonus can still help a lot against enemies with defensive bonuses from, say, elevation or just plain MD. And they have better armor damage % than swords so the damage isn't that pitiful. Also, geists.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Feb 16, 2019

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Waroduce posted:

So played about 4 hours today and had a blast. Killed the bandit dude, hired 2 bros. My second contract was to kill some monsters terrorizing a village. Played very aggressively and lost 2 bros.

Purchased shields and spears for OG bros and new hires and my third contract was against 7 undead. I played uber conservitibly with a tight formation and let them come to me while spamming speer wall and only one bro who was flanking took a bunch of damage.

Super fun. What stats should I be focusing on as spear and shield guys? Fatigue, hp, melee attack and melee defense?

You're pretty much spot on, spears will carry you through the early early game but you won't need too many guys to actually pick up the spear mastery as you go on. I would say in general you want to rank up in this priority for most 1hand + shield guys: M. Atk, > Fatigue > M. Defense > Health but your guys' talent stars and rolls can affect that a lot. Also don't neglect resolve, it's way more important than it may seem early!

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
so looking at perks for my bros, first play through going to go alot of sword and shield.....what do i want?

Colossus and Iron Brow? Dodge and crippling blow look good too

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
This is what I typically do (feel free to give everyone student for the first perk if you want)

1h Weapon + Shield guy

Colossus
Fortified Mind
Brawny
Shield expert
rotation
underdog
Battle Forged
Weapon Mastery
Recover
[Free Choice - Usually a second weapon mastery]

2h Weapon Guy (not polearms)

Recover
Steel Brow
Brawny
Weapon Mastery
Underdog
Battle Forged
Footwork
Beserk
Killing Frenzy
[Free Choice - Usually reach advantage ; but you can cut for colossus or fortified mind if you need to repair a low health or resolve score on an otherwise good guy]

Heavy Duelist (someone who uses a single handed weapon and no shield; and wears heavy armor - typically this is someone using an orc cleaver)

Recover
Steel Brow
Brawny
Weapon Mastery
Underdog
Battle Forged
Footwork
Duelist
Crippling Strikes
Executioner

Archer (bows)

Colossus
Pathfinder
Bullseye
Steel brow
Weapon Mastery
footwork
nimble
Beserk
Killing Frenzy
Recover

Archer (crossbows)

Colossus
Pathfinder
Bullseye
Steel Brow
Weapon Mastery
footwork
nimble
Headhunter
Recover
[Free choice - usually axe mastery, so they can also have a poleaxe to break shields]

Sergeant (dude who's job is to hold the banner and use the rally skill to prevent your guys from fleeing due to poor morale - vital vs geists)

Sergeant
Colossus
Steel Brow
Fortified Mind
Backstab
Rally
Footwork
Nimble
Weapon Mastery
Headhunter
[Free Choice]

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Waroduce posted:

so looking at perks for my bros, first play through going to go alot of sword and shield.....what do i want?

Colossus and Iron Brow? Dodge and crippling blow look good too

Colossus is good. Steel brow is also good but imo a step below Colossus. Someone with both will be very tough and probably a good tank.

Dodge will be useless on most of your melee bros because eventually they'll be in armour heavy enough that they will have very low initiative. And the higher your fatigue gets, the lower your initiative so once you've been fighting for a few turns dodge will give you no benefit at all.

Crippling Blows is decent, especially for bros using weapons that punch through armour effectively, like hammers. Unfortunately, one of the enemy types in the game (undead) is completely immune to injuries, so Crippling Blows is completely useless against them. Still good against other types of enemies, but you might want a perk that will help you in every fight instead of only 2/3 of them.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

So I also want to add:

There are guides for this, but a short summary on having a good party:

1h weapons

- spears are good early because of the +20 hit chance; but they do poo poo damage. As your guys get better, you want to move them away from spears, with the exception of one guy at each end of the front line - their job is to use spearwall to force enemies into the centre; and also to take out geists, since they're harder to hit and need the extra chance.

Swords also have a bonus chance to hit; but smaller. They do more damage than spears, but still less than other weapons though. For the most part they're only really useful for dudes that are a bit lacking in the fatigue department, since they're the least fatiguing weapon.

Flails are good in the early to mid game because they ignore defence from shields, and can be used for guaranteed hits to the head (so you can loot more armor) Eventually you want to phase them out though because they don't do great damage.

Maces do less damage; but have a useful stun secondary ability

Eventually, you want all your 1h guys apart from your 2 spearmen using either cleavers (best damage vs lightly armoured guys, can decapitate zombies so they don't get up again); Hammers (best damage vs heavily armoured guys) or axes (best damage on average, can break shields). I typically give my guys weapon masteries in both hammers and cleavers, and have them carry both and swap as required.

Also - you need to have either 2handed damage guys or heavy duelists - otherwise you won't keep up damage wise against larger groups. Give these guys a 1h weapon and a shield until they're high enough level to take the battleforged perk, and you can afford decent armour and helmet for them (min 200). My front line typically consists of 2 spearmen; 2 cleaver/hammermen; and 3 main damagers - currently 2 guys using 2handed weapons and one duelist with an orc cleaver.

2 handed weapons - Greatsword does less damage on average, except vs very lightly armored guys; but has more versatile AoE options. Hammer is more damaging, especially vs heavy armor; and can knock dudes back, but only 1 AoE option. Axes do the most damage but aren't used often because they only do AoE as a 360 degree swing which makes them hard to use.

You need to have a sergeant - this is a guy with as much resolve as possible, and the rally perk. He sits in the back and uses the banner (functionally a reduced damage pike that buffs resolve of nearby troops) or another more powerful polearm in fights where you don't need the added resolve. Make sure you don't give the rally perk to the guy before you get the Ambition to name a sergeant - that way you'll get the sergeant's sash as a reward. The rally ability raises morale of your troops, up to steady - low morale reduces their attack and defence skills and eventually causes them to flee.

Archers - I typically have 4 on my back line, alongside the sergeant to fill out my party. 2 crossbows and 2 bows. Crossbows are for doing damage to heavily armored guys, bows have longer range (to snipe necromancers, enemy archers and goblin shamans) and can attack multiple times per turn (up to 3 with the berserk skill) once your ranged attack is high enough that you don't need to use aimed shot. Enemies with good AI (humans and goblins) will decide whether or not to charge you, or turtle defensively, based on which side has more archers, so having more archers will make them come to you which makes things easier.

Bows and crossbows do minimal damage to skeletons, so when fighting those, either swap those guys out for polearm users, or give them throwing axes as a backup weapon, or give them a poleaxe and just have them break shields (break shield always hits, so archers can use it despite having low melee attack)

Stats:

Health is important, but there are diminishing returns. I aim for (after colossus bonus where relevant) 100 on shield guys and 80 on damage guys. Back line troops I aim for around 70-80. Many older guides will give you a lower number but with the change to nimble providing flat damage reduction now, it's more efficient to use nimble + high health pool and skip other defensive perks like dodge or anticipation

Fatigue is hugely important. If your guys get tired, they stop being able to do poo poo, and then you die. Most characters will be putting points in this every single level up. You need to have at least 60-70 left over after the weight of your gear is accounted for (for 1h dudes; more for 2h dudes - as much as possible for them. bowmen need more than crossbowmen). I'm still working out the math on this one, but for guys wearing light armor you probably want to be able to hit at least 120 base fatigue before deductions by level 11; probably 130+ for shield guys and as much as possible for 2 handed guys.

Melee attack - I wouldn't hire someone who can't hit 80 by level 11 (for 1 handers) or closer to 90 for 2 handers. I take a hard line on this, but you can get by with a bit less if you give them swords for eg.

ranged attack - same as above. Anyone capable of hitting 90 becomes a bowman, 80-90 dudes get crossbows.

Melee Defence/Ranged defence - a bonus, but not as important as you think. Shields and heavy armor + battleforged will absorb damage well enough, nimble does the same for light troops. Remember armor has a hidden stat - I don't know the exact formula, but for every x points of durability remaining, the damage that bypasses armor is reduced by an amount. Melee characters get points in melee defence every level once you've hit the target amounts of health and resolve. Ranged characters do the same with ranged defence.

Resolve - Important. Higher resolve makes your guys less likely to drop to lower morale levels, which in turn affects fighting ability. Aim for (with fortified mind, where applicable) 60 on shield dudes, 100 minimum by level 11 for sergeant (remember the sash gives you +10) and 50 on everyone else

Initiative - only useful in a handful of niche cases ( a lightly armored duelist with nimble and a fencing sword; bowmen for whom you intend to take the overwhelm perk. Everyone else, don't put points in this)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I find that while maces don't do amazing damage, the fatigue damage is consistently useful and the fact that they do decent through-armor damage can be really helpful sometimes. I'm never sad to have a maceman or two on my team.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Maces are great. They're really versatile, they're useful in pretty much every fight (even enemies that can't be stunned are often vulnerable to the mace's extra fatigue damage) and stunning enemies can really save your rear end in some fights. I usually give my tanks with the highest melee attack maces so that they can reliably stun enemies.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Night10194 posted:

I find that while maces don't do amazing damage, the fatigue damage is consistently useful and the fact that they do decent through-armor damage can be really helpful sometimes. I'm never sad to have a maceman or two on my team.

Yeah I'm going to give my guys cleavers and maces next game instead of cleavers and hammers as an experiment.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
What I do is I train every bro into a specialist in something. Hammer specialist, mace specialist, greatsword specialist, etc. You get 20 bros and eight are forced to sit out every fight, so before each fight I rearrange who's in and who's out based on who I'm fighting. Lot of orc young? Bring in the cleaver tanks. Up against orc warriors? Hammer specialist gets a run-out. Just some bandits? Let the one guy who specialized in flails do some head-whacking. Ancient dead? Leave the archers behind, bring in the guys whose melee attack was low enough that they specialized in axes, and break some shields.

Basically the only bros I have who go into every fight are the 2-handed hammer bro who holds up my right flank, four or five greatswords, and my polearm specialist who warscythes the entire enemy line twice every turn.

If you do it like this you don't have to worry about every bro being optimized for every fight, because you can always just leave them behind and take someone better suited instead. And when I do this I find that consistently the tanks I want to bring more than any other are the maces. Cleavers, swords, hammers, and axes all have times when I do or don't want them, but maces are useful no matter who I'm fighting.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I got a nightmare mission and I have to kill 3 Alps and I only have 5 bros. It's a night thing so I get ambushed with terrible positioning and I can't seem to make it to them :/

Anyway to abandon a mission if accepted

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Waroduce posted:

On the top right of the world screen, where it shows your current mission, there should be an X button to cancel the contract. You'll take a hit to your relations with the town that gave it, but nothing major.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

With them adding more magic stuff in the last update I still would love to see you be able to recruit some absurdly expensive mages/magic users

I want to run the Black Company with One Eye and Goblin damnit.

The Militia sounds like fun, it would make my silly daytaler levy spam run exponentially more viable. The Hedge Knight option where you actually are in the company sounds really cool too.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 17, 2019

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Waroduce posted:

I got a nightmare mission and I have to kill 3 Alps and I only have 5 bros. It's a night thing so I get ambushed with terrible positioning and I can't seem to make it to them :/

The trick to fighting Alps is to make sure each bro has a dog. The dogs will make short work of the nightmares each turn.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

Jack2142 posted:

With them adding more magic stuff in the last update I still would love to see you be able to recruit some absurdly expensive mages/magic users

I want to run the Black Company with One Eye and Goblin damnit.

The Militia sounds like fun, it would make my silly daytaler levy spam run exponentially more viable. The Hedge Knight option where you actually are in the company sounds really cool too.

Yea. Already name my historians Croaker, and I always have one. Because sooner or later the event for telling the stories of the company procs, and everyone is happy. Also a dagger master named Raven is necessary for every run. Usually a killer on the run (hitting heads with regular dagger attacks ain't too bad either). We need some lovely wizards to do some illusion as well.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Wiz and I could probs dredge out our standard builds too if people want them; though they are a) mostly on par with what's been posted and b) we make weird choices like not liking steal brow

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Gridlocked posted:

Wiz and I could probs dredge out our standard builds too if people want them; though they are a) mostly on par with what's been posted and b) we make weird choices like not liking steal brow

The latter is only for thieves, I find.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

The Lord Bude posted:

The latter is only for thieves, I find.

I feel you vastly over rate steal brow.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

The Lord Bude posted:

The trick to fighting Alps is to make sure each bro has a dog. The dogs will make short work of the nightmares each turn.

sometimes a dog will run off after an alp on the other side of the map and the alps will turn it into a out-of-reach ghost factory until it dies :spooky:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

The Lord Bude posted:

Archer (crossbows)

Colossus
Pathfinder
Bullseye
Steel Brow
Weapon Mastery
footwork
nimble
Headhunter
Recover
[Free choice - usually axe mastery, so they can also have a poleaxe to break shields]

Sergeant (dude who's job is to hold the banner and use the rally skill to prevent your guys from fleeing due to poor morale - vital vs geists)

Sergeant
Colossus
Steel Brow
Fortified Mind
Backstab
Rally
Footwork
Nimble
Weapon Mastery
Headhunter
[Free Choice]
I would never take Headhunter on anyone. Spreading damage across hit locations isn't ideal so even though the extra damage is nice it's never worth a perk point to me.
And neither crossbow archers nor sergeants are ever really going to solo anything tougher than a Raider so spreading damage around more is not something you want them to do when their targets will also be attacked by bros who don't have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Wizard Styles posted:

I would never take Headhunter on anyone. Spreading damage across hit locations isn't ideal so even though the extra damage is nice it's never worth a perk point to me.
And neither crossbow archers nor sergeants are ever really going to solo anything tougher than a Raider so spreading damage around more is not something you want them to do when their targets will also be attacked by bros who don't have it.

I feel that more damage is still more damage - and injuries from head hits tend to be more debilitating, plus dudes on average have less head armor. With Crossbows it's absolutely worth it since they have a huge % of the damage that ignores armor (and there really isn't a compelling alternative perk to improve damage output). It's also worth it for weapons that are more likely to hit the head already, imo, such as orc chains. I agree the sergeant is dubious, but I kinda like maximising the damage from his hits; and again I don't really have a better option. I find that my elective perk slot on the sergeant ends up being gifted, since they have higher stat requirements than other characters and you often can't pick and choose who gets to be the sergeant, you need to take what you get when you find that beggar with 3 stars in resolve.

If I found a really good sergeant though, one who already had good health/fatigue so I wasn't as pressed for skill points; I'd consider dropping headhunter and gifted, and giving them beserk/killing frenzy + a crypt cleaver to use when the banner wasn't needed.