Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1096121922876788737?s=19

Since we don't have an India thread I'll post this here.

India has removed Pakistan from its Most Favored Nation trade status. I think India launching strikes across the Line of Control like in 2016 is likely.

Edit: spelling

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

We really could use a South Asia thread.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Grouchio posted:

:justpost:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Grouchio posted:

we used to have one but some of the most prolific posters either moved to CSPAM, fell in the Great November 2016 Purge, or most crucially whatever the hell happened to ReindeerF (executed when Rama X ascended to the Thai throne? is actually Rama X and is too busy to post here now?)

edit: it was admittedly more SE Asia, but it's where I stowed my occasional Sri Lanka posts

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

MiddleOne posted:

Definitely feems like Trump is angling for some kind of war with all these weird feelers going around with Venezuela and Iran.

Need some weapons of mass distraction in the run-up to the presidential.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

Need some weapons of mass distraction in the run-up to the presidential.

Username checks out. IMO the simplest explanation is just that the US foreign policy establishment is always looking for wars to start or join. I mean most of us have never lived in a time when a US president has left office without starting a new intervention somewhere, and Iran in particular has been in the crosshairs (with varying levels of intensity) for decades. Trump himself seems to mostly downplay Iran's strength and influence in the region when he talks about them, which suggests to me that he's not personally beating the war drums too hard.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

OhFunny posted:

India has removed Pakistan from its Most Favored Nation trade status. I think India luanching strikes across the Line of Control like in 2016 is likely.

may wanna check the numbers too

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Sinteres posted:

Username checks out. IMO the simplest explanation is just that the US foreign policy establishment is always looking for wars to start or join. I mean most of us have never lived in a time when a US president has left office without starting a new intervention somewhere, and Iran in particular has been in the crosshairs (with varying levels of intensity) for decades. Trump himself seems to mostly downplay Iran's strength and influence in the region when he talks about them, which suggests to me that he's not personally beating the war drums too hard.

Trump just doesn't loving care, and the State Dept has been gutted, so ultimately it's going to be a tug-o-war with his laziness and unwillingness to commit on one side, and warhawks like Bolton trying to pull at his strings on the other.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

If Pakistan is one of India's "Most Favoured Nations" then what the hell do they call the countries that they aren't constantly at the throat of?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BattleMaster posted:

If Pakistan is one of India's "Most Favoured Nations" then what the hell do they call the countries that they aren't constantly at the throat of?

It actually makes a lot of sense. When missiles start flying the last thing you want to be worried about is if you payed the export tax.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

OhFunny posted:

India has removed Pakistan from its Most Favored Nation trade status. I think India launching strikes across the Line of Control like in 2016 is likely.

Spelling isn't what needed to be edited in this post.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

BattleMaster posted:

That's just the term as per WTO rules I believe.

i say swears online posted:

may wanna check the numbers too

HootTheOwl posted:

Spelling isn't what needed to be edited in this post.

I don't follow. What needs correcting?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

OhFunny posted:

I don't follow. What needs correcting?

I don't recall a war three years ago.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't recall a war three years ago.

https://m.hindustantimes.com/india-...GazDzAnVsM.html

https://indianexpress.com/article/i...n-army-5236452/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Indian_Line_of_Control_strike

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/India%E2%80%93Pakistan_border_skirmishes_

Full scale war may not have broken out, but low intensity fighting lasted until June 2018.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 16, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

OhFunny posted:

Which are there to establish what to treat as the baseline. In effect, every nation in the world must be treated like your most favored nation. The only way to have exceptions allowing more advantageous trade conditions for some countries than for the rest is through free-trade agreements or common market areas.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Egypt update: Sisi amended the constitution to make himself president till 2034. Just 2034, pinky swear!

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Ham posted:

Egypt update: Sisi amended the constitution to make himself president till 2034. Just 2034, pinky swear!

I don't get why these guys feel they have to be forever dictators. I mean Sisi is 64, why not retire at some point? I'd rather not be worrying about coup d'etats in my seventies I guess I just don't get the appeal of dying in office.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I don't get it either but I guess that's why I'm not a dictator.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Squalid posted:

I don't get why these guys feel they have to be forever dictators. I mean Sisi is 64, why not retire at some point? I'd rather not be worrying about coup d'etats in my seventies I guess I just don't get the appeal of dying in office.

Some dictators are just in it for the money and power, like Ben Ali in Tunisia. When it was clear the gig was up or things would get violent? He peaced out with his spoils.
Then some dictators are megalomaniacs, like Gaddafi, who was so stubborn at letting go he ended up being stabbed in the butt after being pulled out of a pipe lol.

Guess Sisi is more the latter.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ham posted:

He would be like 80 then so it's not unlikely that he just croaks before that time. That still wouldn't fix much though, unless it was by a bomb that took out the rest of the generals at the same time.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ham posted:

How is the rule structured? Like is it straight up "Article 420: Sisi is president until 2034" or a more general "starting now the new term limit is x years per term and y terms in a lifetime" and it's totally a coincidence that would mean he gets extra time in power, we promise.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

fishmech posted:

How is the rule structured? Like is it straight up "Article 420: Sisi is president until 2034" or a more general "starting now the new term limit is x years per term and y terms in a lifetime" and it's totally a coincidence that would mean he gets extra time in power, we promise.

An Egyptian is restricted to two consecutive 6-year terms as president, the rule is only applicable starting from the next election in 2022 and doesn't take into account previous terms since Sisi is beloved leader.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Squalid posted:

They're afraid of dying in prison. Also it avoids lame duck issues and internal fights, or at least limits them, which helps with regime survival overall, so people around him who depend on him to retain their own power and influence (and money) likely want him to signal that he'll be around for quite some time too. Also you probably don't become a military dictator in the first place if you aren't extremely ambitious and power hungry, so it's hard to let go even without the risks.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 17, 2019

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Zudgemud posted:

He would be like 80 then so it's not unlikely that he just croaks before that time. That still wouldn't fix much though, unless it was by a bomb that took out the rest of the generals at the same time.

I've passed the point of believing anything could be fixed or changed for the better in this place. What they're fostering now is a pervasive cultural, social and economic decline in every fabric of this society; and an exodus of talent and skill at unprecedented levels. Living under Sisi these past 3 years makes me actually pine for Mubarak's 2000s, where even that semblance of civil society, and that sense of universal opposition existed.

Squalid posted:

Strong dash of megalomania. Don't really think Sisi's afraid of consequences.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Sinteres posted:

They're afraid of dying in prison. Also it avoids lame duck issues and internal fights, or at least limits them, which helps with regime survival overall, so people around him who depend on him to retain their own power and influence (and money) likely want him to signal that he'll be around for quite some time too. Also you probably don't become a military dictator in the first place if you aren't extremely ambitious and power hungry, so it's hard to let go even without the risks.

It also reassures the cronyphants that the money train will keep rolling into the future. Pour Les encourager Les autres and all

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

fishmech posted:

It's the latter, except it also specifies that the current president's terms so far don't count against the new limit.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Squalid posted:

I guess when you retire you have to start worrying about your successors purging you / putting you on trial instead

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

loving over other people when you're in power means you're riding the tiger, and getting off might be inadvisable.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

OhFunny posted:

Anyone else think Kashmir is going to explode if/when the US withdraws from Afghanistan? With a Pak friendly Taliban regime in place they can focus all their attention on firing up the insurgency in Kashmit.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I just remembered that Hosni Mubarak is still kicking at 90.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Grouchio posted:

I just remembered that Hosni Mubarak is still kicking at 90.

there is no justice

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Global Public Policy Institute just released a new report, Nowhere to Hide: The Logic of Chemical Weapons Use in Syria, taking a detailed look at the use of chemical weapons in Syria. It reports they've identified 336 confirmed attack, 300+ of those by Syrian government forces, and the vast majority taking place after Syria joined the Chemical Weapons Convention. Nearly all of the attacks involve the use of chlorine, using chlorine barrel bombs and chlorine filled IRAMs.

Most interestingly, it ties the use of chlorine as a chemical weapon to the activities of the Tiger Forces, who are also believed to be the group that developed the use of barrel bombs, making use of transport helicopters it had access too. It also states that there are only about 10-15 active transport helicopters being used by the Syrian Air Force.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

V. Illych L. posted:

there is no justice
I suggest looking at the Grand Renaissance Dam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_8X8tbjqjg

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
I just finished watching Assad Victory speech. He basically told the Kurd to go and stuff it. Any federation dream or state decentralisation will not happen and the authority will remain centralised to protect the state. He called on the Kurdish militias to join the SAA (lol) and the state will be able to protect them when it resumes control over those Kurdish regions. Basically a return of the status quo pre 2011 as if nothing has happened. heh

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Savy Saracen salad posted:

He basically told the Kurd to go and stuff it.

Which Kurd? How about the other ones?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Frond posted:

Which Kurd? How about the other ones?

it's a synecdoche for the Kurdish people in and near Syria, particularly the YPG.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Yes I am aware of what the Al-Qaeda apologist meant.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Speaking of apologists

https://twitter.com/Underground_RT/status/1097917932913479683

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

This is propaganda...right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

She's previously also claimed to have seen a video of rebels tearing a pregnant woman in half between two cars, but like this, there seems to be scant evidence to support her claims. Doesn't stop RT broadcasting it though.