Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
So, sequel when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Mid 2020. Jake told me

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

jng2058 posted:

I'm aware it's fairly unlikely, but having won X-Com, XCOM, and XCOM2, what I've always wanted from the series was some kind of "kicked 'em off Earth, now let's hunt the fuckers down" game where humanity (with XCOM as the tip of the spear) heads out into space to chase down the Ethereals. Gimme some 4X, with tactical space combat, especially focused on boarding actions and raids on Ethereal held worlds. Let me see what the Ethereals are running from, gimme new aliens, some friendly, some neutral, some shootable.

Gimme a real continuation of the story, not "oh wait, here's more of the same but underwater" or "nope, turns out you actually lost the first game".

I remember a game like this. It was an indie thing where the tutorial mission was announcing your presence to the world by destroying an alien advance fleet. Afterwards, you would set up a Council of Funding Nations and step into space. There were admirals and firing arcs and all kinds of jazz.

Didn't buy it because it was too confusing for my lizard brain and now I can't remember the name.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Vengarr posted:

I remember a game like this. It was an indie thing where the tutorial mission was announcing your presence to the world by destroying an alien advance fleet. Afterwards, you would set up a Council of Funding Nations and step into space. There were admirals and firing arcs and all kinds of jazz.

Didn't buy it because it was too confusing for my lizard brain and now I can't remember the name.

I kicked your description over to the "Help me ID this game" thread, hopefully one of them will point me in the right direction. Thanks for the initial contact report, though.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

jng2058 posted:

I'm aware it's fairly unlikely, but having won X-Com, XCOM, and XCOM2, what I've always wanted from the series was some kind of "kicked 'em off Earth, now let's hunt the fuckers down" game where humanity (with XCOM as the tip of the spear) heads out into space to chase down the Ethereals. Gimme some 4X, with tactical space combat, especially focused on boarding actions and raids on Ethereal held worlds. Let me see what the Ethereals are running from, gimme new aliens, some friendly, some neutral, some shootable.

Gimme a real continuation of the story, not "oh wait, here's more of the same but underwater" or "nope, turns out you actually lost the first game".

Basically pick up the plot from the end of Bad Taste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5A5kgYIoE4

sadly there are no voicepacks on the workshop for this movie.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hank Morgan posted:

Basically pick up the plot from the end of Bad Taste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5A5kgYIoE4

sadly there are no voicepacks on the workshop for this movie.

"Eat my spinning steel, shithead!" would be a nice Ranger quote.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bogart posted:

Mid 2020. Jake told me

Thank gently caress. Here's hoping for TFTD 2 or Apocalypse 2 settings.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The plot of UFO Extraterrestrials involves earth getting overrun and humans colonizing another planet, and the game being about you doing the whole X-COM bit on the new planet. The final act is building a giant rear end ship, flying it to earth, and liberating the enslaved humans. There was no Geoscape action on earth but it was still rad

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

jng2058 posted:

I kicked your description over to the "Help me ID this game" thread, hopefully one of them will point me in the right direction. Thanks for the initial contact report, though.

Took me a while, but I found it. Solar War.

It was really groggy and hard to get into. I'd try the demo first.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've played through the storyline with the War of the Chosen expansion multiple times now. I was wondering now if there is a Steam Workshop mode for the campaign where it takes out the storyline missions and is just randomly generation missions across the globe? I want to keep playing XCOM 2, but i'm not interested in experiencing the storyline anymore.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Thank gently caress. Here's hoping for TFTD 2 or Apocalypse 2 settings.

you're not getting TFTD2 so long as jake is in control, he doesn't like the setting at all

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

I said come in! posted:

I've played through the storyline with the War of the Chosen expansion multiple times now. I was wondering now if there is a Steam Workshop mode for the campaign where it takes out the storyline missions and is just randomly generation missions across the globe? I want to keep playing XCOM 2, but i'm not interested in experiencing the storyline anymore.

Not as such, but there's the Legacy Ops FreeLC that generate a mini-campaign, and there's mods that let you skip all the chatter.

e: couldn't pick up the bleeding-out squaddie with the fully tricked out rifle and the serpent armor on my ironman save. fix your game jake

Bogart fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 17, 2019

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Psion posted:

you're not getting TFTD2 so long as jake is in control, he doesn't like the setting at all

Cult of Sirius or bust! :getin:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Psion posted:

And yet xcom2 has been hella teasing aliens from the deep since wotc

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The Templars are certainly rising something from the sea at the end, if nothing else.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Tactical legacy pack also has, "hmm what strange white chrysallids. All striking on the coastline. by jumping out of the water. There's something scary under the water out there"

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Bogart posted:

The Templars are certainly rising something from the sea at the end, if nothing else.
Are they? I read it as their preparing to attack something in the sea.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

yay I just finished another campaign, fairly heavily modded

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

FoolyCharged posted:

And yet xcom2 has been hella teasing aliens from the deep since wotc

jake is also a troll

But seriously, I can't find the video right now but he makes a reasoned argument for it even if you disagree. It was along the lines of how to him what makes XCOM really good is that you're fighting in a familiar setting; the farm, the gas station, the downtown city. And while XCOM2 pushed that a bit with the future city center and the alien facility in the middle of nowhere it's still a relatable environment; people know what trees look like, and buildings are still buildings even if they're made of Future Glass. meanwhile TFTD is mostly a totally different underwater tileset which is completely divorced from that sense of 'this is an environment I recognize'

i'm probably summarizing this badly but at the very least he has a thought-out argument on it

But you're right that they have been doing TFTD nods for a while. is it a nice nod to prior games sure, is it more than that - well I guess it depends on how successful someone has been at fixing the problems he has :v:

e: and no the solution is not making TFTD 2 consist of nothing but cruise ship missions for that relatable factor, you monster

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 18, 2019

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Fix your setting-theme dissonance, Jake

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Runaway climate change, rising sea levels, increasingly chaotic weather patterns, and the spread of invasive extraterrestrial organisms eventually force most of the remaining human population to consolidate in huge domed megacities under the ocean. This protects the survivors from the former three problems, but the latter proves to be an extremely problematic issue when it becomes clear that some of the nasty alien critters in Earth's changing seas are not only intelligent, but getting orders from somewhere...

XCom 3: Apocalypse from the Deep

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Central: Commander to combat this new menace from the depths x-com has moved to a new base located on the water. Behold!
Camera pans over revealing the boat from Jaws
Central: I am a tactical genius and nothing can go wrong with this plan. Did I tell you about the time I killed 3 4 5 avatars to rescue my sweater vest?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Basic Chunnel posted:

Are they? I read it as their preparing to attack something in the sea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTOFjnfb62Y&t=274s

Fair enough. I guess you could see it either way. It looks to me like there's something physical rising, but given the earlier scene of the Something underwater, it might just be the psionic call that Geist is going on about.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I hope XCOM 3 ends with an ending similar to the original X-Com because it's one of my favourite endings ever.

Brain: "You cannot destroy us, for you are part of us. We can give you unimaginable technology an--"
X-Com: "DUST THIS BITCH :blastu::brainworms:"
THE END

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Danaru posted:

I hope XCOM 3 ends with an ending similar to the original X-Com because it's one of my favourite endings ever.

Brain: "You cannot destroy us, for you are part of us. We can give you unimaginable technology an--"
X-Com: "DUST THIS BITCH :blastu::brainworms:"
THE END

God I loved that ending. The alien brain was prattling on about how much we need them, yadda loving yadda, a very bored soldier pulls a Deadpool and blasts it mid-speech.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Bogart posted:

Fair enough. I guess you could see it either way. It looks to me like there's something physical rising, but given the earlier scene of the Something underwater, it might just be the psionic call that Geist is going on about.

That would solve the problem. Instead of fighting a slumbering monster in the depths of the ocean, the monster rises on a huge island/continent and the fight happens there.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Is there a Phoenix Point thread?

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
Here, friend

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3847975&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Thanks!

I saw an ad on facebook of all things and realized I didn't know how it was going. Turns out its delayed until September. Looks cool though!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I recently watched a couple of blind LPs, and I just noticed how Bradford gets a nasty hit during the tutorial while carrying the commander, and he's fine in the following cutscenes.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Bogart posted:

god the cutscenes in these games are so bad

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Dr Christmas posted:

I recently watched a couple of blind LPs, and I just noticed how Bradford gets a nasty hit during the tutorial while carrying the commander, and he's fine in the following cutscenes.

among Bradford's many powers are having things happen in cutscenes that don't reflect the reality outside of them, such as the entirety of his tactical ops stories

this is why he's the best

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Psion posted:

among Bradford's many powers are having things happen in cutscenes that don't reflect the reality outside of them, such as the entirety of his tactical ops stories

this is why he's the best

The tactical ops stuff is pretty clearly non-canon in their entirety, especially given what happens at the very end of the last one. Bradford's probably telling these over a few beers at the bar.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Roluth posted:

The tactical ops stuff is pretty clearly non-canon in their entirety, especially given what happens at the very end of the last one. Bradford's probably telling these over a few beers at the bar.

No, after XCOM lost he pretty clearly crawled out of the rubble, popped his shirt off, and immediately went to go get ripshit

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Roluth posted:

bradford please stop huffing the smoke grenades

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

No, after XCOM lost he pretty clearly crawled out of the rubble, popped his shirt off, and immediately went to go get ripshit

and then when he found his sweater again he defeated all the aliens

the commander only mattered because they're a silent protagonist, so bradford can tell his stories uninterrupted. Shen and Tygan kept interrupting so he had to rescue you.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Dongicus posted:

god the cutscenes in these games are so bad

Really? I like the “guy with a bat” section of that scene pretty well. It sells the idea of the resistance being more than a bunch of loons in a jury rigged ship. Most of it? Sure. Forgettable. But they’re supposed to be seen once and then skipped.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
The one that always bothered me is all those civilians who pick up and shoulder Advent rifles after they ambush the troopers. Uhhh, those things very explicitly explode if non-Advent personnel fire them, sooo.... I think that angry mob is in for a nasty surprise if they try actually using their new firepower.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Well you see, the Psinetwork was keeping the guns genelocked, and by destroying it in the first endgame mission,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Backhand posted:

The one that always bothered me is all those civilians who pick up and shoulder Advent rifles after they ambush the troopers. Uhhh, those things very explicitly explode if non-Advent personnel fire them, sooo.... I think that angry mob is in for a nasty surprise if they try actually using their new firepower.

Its a nod to the relatively effective "stunbaton-wielding rookie swarm" strategy from X-Com. They're just going to club everything to death.