Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

what happy john macafee news is there now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Go see the new Lego movie y'all, it's super happy and therapeutic and feels like it doesn't belong in the same world as TROMP

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Go see the new Lego movie y'all, it's super happy and therapeutic and feels like it doesn't belong in the same world as TROMP

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Also Alita: Battle Angel is pretty drat good. The fight scenes are boss as poo poo.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Chokes McGee posted:

Also Alita: Battle Angel is pretty drat good. The fight scenes are boss as poo poo.

How's it hold up to the really good manga?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

KiteAuraan posted:

i don't know i don't watch anime

oh gently caress

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Lego batman movie appeared on netflix and it's most def one of the better batman movies

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Gotta say, watching "Batman Returns" always cheers me up. What with Max Shrek, Danny DeVito and Danny's army of rocket wielding penguins. It's funny as Hell.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Dumb Lowtax posted:

That's funny, it read to me as such a complete response to turnp that I'm legitimately curious to see how the thing ages. But I still agree, go see it, it was cute and great.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Chokes McGee posted:

Seconding this. It's an absolute banger of a movie.

KiteAuraan posted:

It's probably going to get a lot of folks curious about the manga, which is good because as you just mentioned, the OG Manga is one of the great comic books from the 90's.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

KiteAuraan posted:

Gotta say, watching "Batman Returns" always cheers me up. What with Max Shrek, Danny DeVito and Danny's army of rocket wielding penguins. It's funny as Hell.

Yeah, I think the romance in that one is well done, because batman and catwoman are the same sort of weirdo

Since we're on bat-chat:

1) Saw Batman Ninja and it's loony and really funny

2) I caught the 1989 batman movie (relevant cultural commentary ITT) and it is awful. The movie totally falls apart once the Joker shows up. The Joker is a major drag on the movie because it's like he's doing these comedy bits that are only funny to him into a empty room

At least it paved the way for Batman TAS

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

KiteAuraan posted:

when burton isn't too far up his own rear end he can do some good comedy. i love parts of ed wood

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Nebakenezzer posted:

Yeah, I think the romance in that one is well done, because batman and catwoman are the same sort of weirdo

Since we're on bat-chat:

2) I caught the 1989 batman movie (relevant cultural commentary ITT) and it is awful. The movie totally falls apart once the Joker shows up. The Joker is a major drag on the movie because it's like he's doing these comedy bits that are only funny to him into a empty room

the scene where the mimes show up and the joker murders the mayor is so creepy

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

Since we're on bat-chat:

OTOH that loving long barrel revolver was an amazing gag

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Raptor1033 posted:

OTOH that loving long barrel revolver was an amazing gag

It did get prince to compose "bat dance"

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

The Joker is a major drag on the movie because it's like he's doing these comedy bits that are only funny to him into a empty room.

I don’t think you ‘get’ The Joker, friendo.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Yeah seriously, that's the joker, he sucks. You're not supposed to like him.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1096895035067584512

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

red19fire posted:

I don’t think you ‘get’ The Joker, friendo.

In my defense my favorite take of the joker is in The Animated Series where he is a psychopathic prop comic

It's a nice take in the context of the series, too. The batman villian is typically a bad guy who is partially motivated by psychological problems, which makes them slightly sympathetic. The Joker is the exception because he's just a megalomanical rear end in a top hat

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nebakenezzer posted:

In my defense my favorite take of the joker is in The Animated Series where he is a psychopathic prop comic

It's a nice take in the context of the series, too. The batman villian is typically a bad guy who is partially motivated by psychological problems, which makes them slightly sympathetic. The Joker is the exception because he's just a megalomanical rear end in a top hat

I think the point you may have been trying to make is that the Joker at his best is still threatening. His whole shtick is that he's the only person who finds all his mayhem and murder funny, but he's still a dangerous and intelligent psychopath. Jack Nicholson's Joker is played sort of as a 1920s gangster who laughs and says weird things.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I think Batman 89 is the only Batman movie I like without any reservations.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Drunkboxer posted:

I think Batman 89 is the only Batman movie I like without any reservations.

Tim Burton's batman 1 is better than Christopher Nolan's Batman 1, but not Nolan's Batman 2.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

I think the point you may have been trying to make is that the Joker at his best is still threatening. His whole shtick is that he's the only person who finds all his mayhem and murder funny, but he's still a dangerous and intelligent psychopath. Jack Nicholson's Joker is played sort of as a 1920s gangster who laughs and says weird things.

Yes, the joker is supposed to be a contrast to Batman, a dangerous psychopath laughing at jokes told to his own audience in his mind. Batman 89 is supposed to be the comic books come to life according to Tim Burton, so the Art Deco 20s styling makes sense. I do agree that Nicholson is a weird choice because he’s like 60 years old at that point in time and there’s hardly any physicality of violence, he’s just an old guy in clown makeup who relies on his henchmen to do all the crimes. (much like president Cheeto am I right?!?) I was like 6 years old when that came out, so to me it will always be the best Batman.

I also subscribe to the fan theory that Nolan’s joker is an OEF war veteran.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

lol he shook like the warriors with a 3-1 series lead

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

:laffo:

Get hosed, Pence

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

chitoryu12 posted:

While I get Nicholson as the Joker is dream casting, I guess I didn't feel it otherwise because I think the movie is a mess. We're all batfriends here clearly, so if you disagree pay it no mind, I think Batman returns is were everything works and is tight

Side question, would Danny DeVito's Penguin be a GOP senator in this reality

e:

Agronox posted:

when burton isn't too far up his own rear end he can do some good comedy. i love parts of ed wood

I'm not really into Burton but I think Ed Wood is brilliant

Nebakenezzer has issued a correction as of 22:12 on Feb 18, 2019

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Also lol at that Pence reaction, from a pol like him he might as well have screamed "What the gently caress?!"

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

Also lol at that Pence reaction, from a pol like him he might as well have screamed "What the gently caress?!"

That deep breath has to be the hardest Pence has ever emoted in his life!

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
It's really hard to overstate just how much of a joke Trump and his cohort is over in Europe. George Bush was pretty universally reviled over here, but he was still, y'know, the president of the USA and had to be treated as such. Trump, though. Oh man. Trump is just a clown spouting childish bullshit. No-one takes him even remotely seriously.

Seeing someone like Pence standing up in front of a bunch of Europeans trying to dictate terms and realizing that being the vice-president of the USA no longer carries any special weight... oh man.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

drilldo squirt posted:

Yeah seriously, that's the joker, he sucks. You're not supposed to like him.

tell that to all these people

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Wow that there is a deep rabbit hole

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
YOU WANNA KNOW HOW I GOT THESE PROBATIONS?

at least they're not immitating jared leto joker :laffo:

Shaffness
Jan 15, 2001

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Wow that there is a deep rabbit hole

Man I got super uncomfortable just looking at the video stills.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
The queen character in the new Lego movie was the best. During her first musical number I really hoped they were going a certain direction with it and they did :3:

But uhhh was it just me or was there a brief scene about that contradicted all the other ones, wherein the queen and her enforcer share some dialogue in private about intentionally making sure everything is set up for triggering the momageddeon, even though the whole joke the rest of the movie is that they truly don't harbor evil intentions? Did I screw up as a movie watcher or was that something that they forgot to edit out when they made up their mind about these characters not being evil?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

lol, I always said that guy was a clown

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Dumb Lowtax posted:

The queen character in the new Lego movie was the best. During her first musical number I really hoped they were going a certain direction with it and they did :3:

But uhhh was it just me or was there a brief scene about that contradicted all the other ones, wherein the queen and her enforcer share some dialogue in private about intentionally making sure everything is set up for triggering the momageddeon, even though the whole joke the rest of the movie is that they truly don't harbor evil intentions? Did I screw up as a movie watcher or was that something that they forgot to edit out when they made up their mind about these characters not being evil?

I thought they were saying they were trying to avoid momageddon. It was intentionally vaguely worded so you could think they were being evil if you don't have any faith, but they really meant doing something to stop it instead :colbert: (I still fell for it too lol)

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
That would make a lot more sense. It's just them repeating the trick on us again. Thanks!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

smdh not a soul in this thread enjoys a good slonk

[THIS POST BY GANG WEED]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Also was pretty great seeing the credits and the music had all been JON LAJOIE