Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

flatluigi posted:

I think it specifically mentions somewhere that it was in blood (and it was scrubbed when he died)

Yeah, Eagle Vision is revealed to be just a BIT of Precursor DNA, infused in bunch of humans as part of their grand endeavour to plan for the 2012 flare. Precursors see in four dimensions rather than three like us, so they can see how things were and how they stochastically might be for given variables with pretty good accuracy. Eagle Vision basically shows a sliver how things were/are/will be for whatever you're focusing on, even if it's just "this guy walked down a street one day", or "this guard takes the same route every day, right up until he gets a hidden blade in the kidneys in a few minutes". Seeing 16's drawings is a look at what WAS on the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

I mean it seems they could have made it about having to get married/have a child for the sake of decorum, that'd be historically accurate and potentially tackle real a real LGBT issue but they face planted so drat hard.

Wouldn't be that accurate for ancient Greece, unless the characters are Spartans.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Byzantine posted:

Wouldn't be that accurate for ancient Greece, unless the characters are Spartans.

The protagonist is Spartan (they got exiled when they were around eight), but you're given plenty of dialogue options to poo poo all over Sparta and say you don't give a rat's rear end about the place.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Byzantine posted:

Although homosexual relationships had varying levels of acceptance across Greece and also your gender (Spartans were cool with dude on dude action as well, long as you were topping.) there was still an expectation you'd get married and have kids in most places.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Hitman 2 has immaculate hitboxes

https://twitter.com/HetzerGonnaHetz/status/1087082972833030146?s=19

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
You had the body piercing rounds loaded and hit the binoculars, not the body. Should have used the wall-piercing ammo that penetrates solid objects instead, DUH

Working as intended.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

HenryEx posted:

You had the body piercing rounds loaded and hit the binoculars, not the body. Should have used the wall-piercing ammo that penetrates solid objects instead, DUH

Working as intended.

This reminds me of the meme of removing your armor in New Vegas so the AP Rounds will do less damage

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

3 posted:

I mean technically you're correct, just not in the way you think. Royals all thought they had "special blood" too, which is why they kept loving within the family and eventually ended up with genetic disasterpieces like Charles II of Spain:

Mostly I was thinking of Uwain Bolt and drat that dude can book it

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
So after bearing BOTW I'm playing the first Zelda. I missed it the first time around so it's all new to me. Twice now it's made me laugh out loud:

There's an old woman in a cave who says PAY ME AND I'LL TALK. You can pay 20, 30, or 50 rupees. To get anything useful (the directions through a first maze) you have to pay 30. If you pay her 50 she just says BOY, YOU'RE RICH!

Later on i found an old man in a secret cave that you have to burn a bush to find. When you enter he just says PAY ME FOR THE DOOR REPAIR and takes 40 of your rupees lmfao

nael
Sep 10, 2009
Just started Metro Exodus and one of your buddies is a former US Marine who was guarding the US embassy in Moscow when the war started. He speaks in an American accent in the English voiceover. I wouldn't be able to tell, if it was, but does someone with more knowledge of the Russian language know if his Russian is super broken/obviously non-native if you're playing with Russian voiceovers? It seems like the kind of detail they would add.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Johnny Aztec posted:

Mostly I was thinking of Uwain Bolt and drat that dude can book it

So your theory is that Usain Bolt is the child of world class sprinters, descended from a long line of world class sprinters?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

In Dead Space 1 & 2 you can buy or find nodes to upgrade your equipment. Occasionally there are also rooms that can be unlocked with a node. These rooms usually feature loot worth more than the price for that single node.

In DS2 I encountered one of these rooms and the items were not that great. In retrospect I think that was intentional, because it was in the medbay of the USG Ishumura. The Ishumura was the gargantuan space ship in which the first game took place. So the room was almost empty because technically you already looted the place before :v:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

So after bearing BOTW I'm playing the first Zelda. I missed it the first time around so it's all new to me. Twice now it's made me laugh out loud:

There's an old woman in a cave who says PAY ME AND I'LL TALK. You can pay 20, 30, or 50 rupees. To get anything useful (the directions through a first maze) you have to pay 30. If you pay her 50 she just says BOY, YOU'RE RICH!

Later on i found an old man in a secret cave that you have to burn a bush to find. When you enter he just says PAY ME FOR THE DOOR REPAIR and takes 40 of your rupees lmfao
There's a lot of that, and I think the game's playfulness is a big part of why it's remembered so well. It could have been a very empty world but they used the limited resources of the NES well.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The NES Zelda games, now that I think about it, do a really good job at depicting the kind of crazy person that lives in a monster-filled hellscape. Not depressing, the events that caused the NES Hyrule landscape are too far gone to actually be directly felt, but everyone you meet is just kinda weird.

Link's Awakening has a fun approach like that, too. Most of the NPCs you find are very deliberately depicted as off-kilter and not quite right, and not in the way that old RPG NPCs kinda had to be. Of course, in that one they're all dream constructs so it fits. (I know it's an old-rear end game, but it's getting remade this year, I'm gonna give it that respect)

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Pyroclastic posted:

I was watching a twitch streamer play KH3, and one of his goals is to take a selfie with every boss. When fighting a boss in Arendelle, the stream discovered that Sora's in-game model actually does a selfie pose (although he doesn't appear to be holding the gummiphone). We discovered this because he got frozen the instant he did the 'Cheese!' pose. They didn't just fake it through the camera lens. Some of the detail they put into this game is nuts.

Video games were a mistake.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

SiKboy posted:

So your theory is that Usain Bolt is the child of world class sprinters, descended from a long line of world class sprinters?

Thats your own words buddy, not mine.

Though that would be pretty neat if he had kids with a champion lady runner.

the GOTTA GO FAST family.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
In the Resident Evil 2 remake, the overall theme and most of the imagery is horror all the way down. I still get a very Die Hard feeling though; from this being Leon's first day on the job, the party decorations in the office, and little signs of Leon having a snarky attitude about the whole situation. For example, if you shoot a zombie in the face and it barely shrugs before continuing to charge, Leon will sometimes exasperatedly yell "oh gently caress you!" or "ugh, godammit"

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I love the respawn animations in Sunset Overdrive. Insomniac made dying in a videogame fun.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

if you shoot a zombie in the face and it barely shrugs before continuing to charge, Leon will sometimes exasperatedly yell "oh gently caress you!" or "ugh, godammit"

honestly I have never identified with a character in a video game more than this

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

honestly I have never identified with a character in a video game more than this

it kind of annoys me for the same reason

i don't need leon to say these things. i'm already thinking them!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Oxxidation posted:

it kind of annoys me for the same reason

i don't need leon to say these things. i'm already thinking them!

I genuinely want someone to replace all of Leon's reaction lines with York's from deadly premonition.

In fact, I just want a Deadly Premonition conversion mod. Swap Mr. X for the Raincoat Killer, zombies for Shadows, and give me York telling me I'm doing a great job for shooting zombos in the face a whole bunch of time.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

codenameFANGIO posted:

I felt pretty connected with Issac in Dead Space 2 the first time I got swarmed by tiny alien freaks. We both were screaming "MOTHERFUCKER!"

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

If you end up doing the Master Quest, there's a really evil variant of this where you have to give up a heart container if you don't have the rupees.

On reflection, for its time, the original Zelda had a massive amount of content, didn't it? There are definitely NES games that took me longer to beat, but I think those were all RPGs padded with random encounters. That technically includes Zelda II as well.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Rollersnake posted:

On reflection, for its time, the original Zelda had a massive amount of content, didn't it? There are definitely NES games that took me longer to beat, but I think those were all RPGs padded with random encounters. That technically includes Zelda II as well.

An 8x16 overworld map (for 128 tiles), 8 dungeons that get about 18 rooms apiece (total 144), and a 9th dungeon that gets more like 36. That's a lot of stuff! Though it bears mentioning that Zelda 1 has its fair share of padding as well, especially if you're playing it unspoiled. Burning every bush in an area to verify that there isn't a secret room, for example. Or worse, bombing the rock walls. Plus grinding for cash to afford potions to take on the later dungeons.

Something neat about Zelda 1 is that the dungeon maps fit together like a puzzle, to save on memory.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Don Gato posted:

I felt pretty connected with Issac in Dead Space 2 the first time I got swarmed by tiny alien freaks. We both were screaming "MOTHERFUCKER!"

The more you stomp in Dead Space, the angrier Isaac gets, it's actually pretty cathartic.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

An 8x16 overworld map (for 128 tiles), 8 dungeons that get about 18 rooms apiece (total 144), and a 9th dungeon that gets more like 36. That's a lot of stuff! Though it bears mentioning that Zelda 1 has its fair share of padding as well, especially if you're playing it unspoiled. Burning every bush in an area to verify that there isn't a secret room, for example. Or worse, bombing the rock walls. Plus grinding for cash to afford potions to take on the later dungeons.

Something neat about Zelda 1 is that the dungeon maps fit together like a puzzle, to save on memory.
Nintendo's dedication to providing optional harder content for players who don't want to put the game down goes back to some of the earliest stuff, I love it so much.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Nintendo's dedication to providing optional harder content for players who don't want to put the game down goes back to some of the earliest stuff, I love it so much.

It makes this line from Wikipedia take on a whole new aspect:

"Founded on 23 September 1889 by Fusajiro Yamauchi, it originally produced handmade hanafuda playing cards. By 1963, the company had tried several small niche businesses, such as cab services and love hotels."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Samuringa posted:

The more you stomp in Dead Space, the angrier Isaac gets, it's actually pretty cathartic.

IIRC stomp chaining and cursing was introduced in DS2, in DS1 it was a basic last-ditch melee attack.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
in FFXV, whenever you stay at camp you get to cook food and get treated to a silent scene of the guys eating and shooting the poo poo as your EXP and AP tallies up

one of the dishes you can make is stinky tofu

cue the younger party members all but sobbing as they attempt to force this poo poo down while the Ignis the gourmet and Gladio the gritty outdoorsman cheerfully tuck in

Oxxidation has a new favorite as of 19:22 on Feb 17, 2019

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, Portal 2:allears:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Alhazred posted:

ACHIVEMENT UNLOCKED: The Part Where He Kills You (this is that part)

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
Amazing tales of redundancy.gif

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Ellen Mclain, Stephen Merchant, JK Simmons and Nolan North are my pick for best ensemble voice cast in a video game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Kingdom Hearts 2 Nostalgia Chat: My Favourite World and Why

I think the reason I loved the World that Never Was was it's sheer atmosphere - The City that Never Was was simultaneously bustling with life and totally desolate, because while it was a big city it was only populated by pureblood heartless, so not only was there no non-heartless life, unlike everywhere else there was no sign that their ever was (emblem heartless would have been that sign). It was also pitch black an constantly raining in direct contrast to the Castle that Never Was, a big white pristine castle floating above it. It was like the World itself had been split at the same time as the Organisation, the city being the worlds heartless, and the Castle being it's Nobody. The extreme visual segregation of black and white made it a visually strong area, which came fully into it's own with Xemnas's final form unifying black and white into his rad zebra-robes. You never fought Heartless and Nobodies in the same location too, they stuck to their own turfs. It was almost like a visual metaphor for the relationship between Ansem: Seeker of Darkness and Xemnas, with one being full of life and incredibly overdramatic in how he presented himself, and the other being completely pristine and flat, unwilling to sully himself with his own returning emotions.

It also had a strong sense of mystery - there was no hint of where it came from. The End of the World was the broken fragments of partially digested worlds, and the Keyblade Graveyard was the site of a massive war with Scala ed Caelum being the rebuilt remnants of Daybreak Town, but we never really knew what the gently caress the World that Never Was... actually was. It was awesome.

Finally, Something I felt warranted showing rather than telling, the main reason I love the World That Never Was more than literally any other final dungeon in the series is that in all the other finales in the games with world maps, (End of the World and Keyblade Graveyard) they appear as a normal world, same appearence as the others just tailored to their look. End of the World is a black hole, but it's the same size as the other worlds, and the Keyblade Graveyard is just a planetoid resembling the level. However, when you unlock the World that Never Was, this is now it appears on the world map: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS-ATaGCY38&feature=youtu.be

It's 10 times the size of every other world, and it isn't even connected to the world map. You are literally straying from the path when you fly there, and the camera zooms in until it fills the whole screen. It's also not a planetoid shape, it's just there. It's so alien compared to all the other dungeons.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Being from near the west country, it still strikes me as bizarre that a robot with a Bristolian accent is a part of a triple A game

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Paul.Power posted:

Ellen Mclain, Stephen Merchant, JK Simmons and Nolan North are my pick for best ensemble voice cast in a video game.

Nolan North probably found a monkey's paw once and wished that he could VA games. And now he has to VA all of them for all eternity.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Alhazred posted:

Can you spoiler an embed?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOXrgDDLpYw

Edit: I guess not.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Alhazred posted:

Nolan North probably found a monkey's paw once and wished that he could VA games. And now he has to VA all of them for all eternity.

He did really well in spec ops. Other than that I don't pay much attention to voice actors

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ilmucche posted:

He did really well in spec ops. Other than that I don't pay much attention to voice actors

One of the Saint’s Row games has an option for your character’s VA that is “Nolan North”, which is Nolan North VAing the Boss...basically as himself. And it rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

One of the Saint’s Row games has an option for your character’s VA that is “Nolan North”, which is Nolan North VAing the Boss...basically as himself. And it rules.

Yeah that's 4. And one of the normal voices in both 3 and 4 is Troy Baker, ie. the other big time voice actor who's in absolutely everything.

And then they play brothers in Uncharted 4.