Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

SuperKlaus posted:

I got to play a little Let's Go the other day and noticed it gave Pokemon overall "Combat Power" ratings like Pokemon Go does, besides real stat lines. Go has PvP leagues that place power level caps on the participating Pokemon and it helps some species otherwise considered poo poo see action. Does main line Pokemon competitive battling not have any points-value balancing or power level-based leagues like that?

There are usage based tiers on simulators but nothing official in game and the Nintendo run competitive format just bans event exclusive Pokemon and cover legendaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

WrightOfWay posted:

There are usage based tiers on simulators but nothing official in game and the Nintendo run competitive format just bans event exclusive Pokemon and cover legendaries.

Except when they don't and its Primal Groudon/Kyogre as far as the eye can see.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Zore posted:

Except when they don't and its Primal Groudon/Kyogre as far as the eye can see.

Dragon Ascent Mega Rayquaza for days

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Zuzie posted:

I'd like it if the Gen 8 games did away with Pokemarts and you needed to scavenge/cultivate your healing items, which consists of mostly berries. It might also re-purpose some of the berries in the game that still don't have a use outside of making Pokeblocks/Poffins.

What if Gen 8 is caveman Pokemon where we gotta carve our own pokeballs out of Apricorns (in a touchscreen minigame) and we're fighting Neanderthals with their own Pokemon for survival? Which requires us to scavenge for berries/healing items

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

What if Gen 8 is caveman Pokemon where we gotta carve our own pokeballs out of Apricorns (in a touchscreen minigame) and we're fighting Neanderthals with their own Pokemon for survival? Which requires us to scavenge for berries/healing items

I wouldn’t mind some distant prequel games. You could go back to right as the Pokémon League system is being established and have to work with a system used prior to the things we take for granted in the series. Of course, for gameplay’s sake, the replacements would be mostly functionally identical.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A game where the rivals are a young Oak and Agatha, and all the images in the pokedex are hand-illustrated. Silph Co. is just getting started, their mass-produced poke balls are selling like hotcakes but apricorn balls are still widely available. Convenient, ultra-modern Pokemon Centers have you accessing the pokemon storage system via a special booth where you call up a human operator on the telephone. The first Gym Leaders are being recruited. And so forth.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's nothing that would prevent a Pokémon League from existing when Oak was a trainer. He's 50 years old. I would hope Poke-1979 would have Pokeballs.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dehry posted:

There's nothing that would prevent a Pokémon League from existing when Oak was a trainer. He's 50 years old. I would hope Poke-1979 would have Pokeballs.

The only thing we really have to go on is Drayden saying Pokeballs weren't around when he was a kid (BW2) and Kurt showing that before we had modern mass produced balls there were artisans making bespoke ones from apricorns.

Drayden's probably a little older than Oak, but modern pokeballs are a fairly recent thing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah doesn't Ash go back in time for one of the movies and the trainers use barely modified apricorns for their balls? Presumably before that was discovered(or in areas without apricorns) pokemon just traveled with their trainer outside of a ball Pikachu-style.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Young Oak did have a twist top pokeball-like device in Pokemon 4ever so they probably had some kind of device to hold them.

E: ^^ Yeah

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Oh boy yeah lets do another game focusing on the most boring pokemon cast made instead of just something cool and new. This is a good idea.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Oh boy yeah lets do another game focusing on the most boring pokemon cast made instead of just something cool and new. This is a good idea.

ZenMaster's onboard, let's do this! Pokemon Goldy Smiles and Silvery Tears!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rudoku posted:

ZenMaster's onboard, let's do this! Pokemon Goldy Smiles and Silvery Tears!

Now with only the first 75 pokemon.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I'm about to do a new playthrough of X and was it ever determined what is the point of tipping? Does it do anything or is it just a way to waste money?

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Supposedly it gives you a better chance of finding shiny pokemon. But I doubt it's very much.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

There's no proven connection between tipping and anything else. I think it merely exists for "flavor": tipping apparently exists because its customary in Kalos to do so.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/TeamSpaceworld/status/1096863087272038400

These are the people who have been disassembling the Pokemon Gold and Silver demo.

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

Note Block posted:

For fucks sake, I caught my shiny Rhyhorn 3 minutes after midnight and it’s nature is Rash instead of Adamant

Just end my loving life

I'm so sorry, friend.

I caught an extra shiny Cubone while chaining last night. Actually, I caught 3 extra while collecting Cubone candy for the first. Probability is wild. One is promised to a friend, and one was also caught after midnight and has a lovely Brave nature.

Anyway! I have an extra shiny Adamant Cubone (male), if anyone wants to give a lime green pal a good home.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

watchoutitsabear posted:

Anyway! I have an extra shiny Adamant Cubone (male), if anyone wants to give a lime green pal a good home.

I would turn it into a shiny ghost/fire friend very quickly. Yes.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

You can’t in Let’s Go.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Oh, it's in let's go.

boo.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
catch a bunch of Cubone, evolve them then trade until you get a shiny one.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Zuzie posted:

There's no proven connection between tipping and anything else. I think it merely exists for "flavor": tipping apparently exists because its customary in Kalos to do so.

Do you have any idea how little those waiters and waitresses make

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ignite Memories posted:

Do you have any idea how little those waiters and waitresses make

I tip them, but I refuse to tip the dude in the Sacry House. :colbert:

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I'm replaying White 2 after Platinum and holy am I ever reminded the DS era was when they perfected the formula, it's too bad they've been hit or miss on the 3DS.

X/Y really feel like they needed Z the way D/P needed Platinum to redeem the region. So many things seemed started with the intent to return to but there was never a follow up. A pity too, because Z would have been the 26th main series game.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Iirc tipping affects your coolness?? rating which has a couple of small effects, mostly cosmetic such as I think letting you shop at one of the clothes boutiques? And maybe a furfrou hairstyle or two. Also dialogue people use with you. But the coolness rating is affected by so many other things that you'll do in the normal process of playing the game so tipping isn't really noticeable and it's mostly flavour.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Iirc tipping affects your coolness?? rating which has a couple of small effects, mostly cosmetic such as I think letting you shop at one of the clothes boutiques? And maybe a furfrou hairstyle or two. Also dialogue people use with you. But the coolness rating is affected by so many other things that you'll do in the normal process of playing the game so tipping isn't really noticeable and it's mostly flavour.

I'm pretty sure the stylish ranking is only affected by things you do in Lumiose City itself.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

watchoutitsabear posted:

I'm so sorry, friend.

I caught an extra shiny Cubone while chaining last night. Actually, I caught 3 extra while collecting Cubone candy for the first. Probability is wild. One is promised to a friend, and one was also caught after midnight and has a lovely Brave nature.

If you don't want the brave one I'll have it. Actually I haven't been playing for a while and don't have Let's Go, can you trade between Let's Go and USUM?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Hammerite posted:

If you don't want the brave one I'll have it. Actually I haven't been playing for a while and don't have Let's Go, can you trade between Let's Go and USUM?

Nope

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Look I want to battle using feelings and friendship but my most-loved Pokemon is Sunkern and that's just not going to happen.

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

Kurieg posted:

I would turn it into a shiny ghost/fire friend very quickly. Yes.

Hammerite posted:

Yeah sorry y'all, it's locked in Let's Go. Shiny hunting is just so easy in this game, I can't stop. Hoping I can transfer them over to Let's Go! Dunsparce and Shuckle when they come out at least.

Shiny Cubone still looking for a loving home in Let's Go :)

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Pokemon stream is running late but it should be getting to the Spaceworld stuff soon.
https://pokethon.net/

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

wait whats happening?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Super No Vacancy posted:

wait whats happening?

https://twitter.com/helixchamber/status/1097345983300673537

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i dont think i get it

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The team that was working on the Gold and Silver Beta had been inactive then teased a major event an hour and a half ago, but they're just getting started.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Holy crap it's a Beta Pokemon Green

Might be a romhack

E: Yeah not sure what they were doing here but they showed off a couple beta pokemon

Dehry fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 18, 2019

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Dehry posted:

Holy crap it's a Beta Pokemon Green

Might be a romhack

E: Yeah not sure what they were doing here but they showed off a couple beta pokemon

they got a bunch of prototype gen1 assets but no actual rom dump and made a romhack to try and slot what they had into the game, big twitter thread explaining and showing off poo poo with link to zip of assets at the end

https://twitter.com/helixchamber/status/1097431442265653248

also article https://helixchamber.com/2019/02/16/what-dreams-may-come/

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 18, 2019

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The reveals are cool but the 3 hour stream where they explained none of it and kept up kayfabe the entire time was a massive waste of time and a terrible, confusing way to introduce it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
At least we got the info now. And it certainly explains a bunch of oddities that existed in the Gen I games.