Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Dick Bastardly posted:

I know this is the lowest point thread but for me personally the highest point was when Flanders and his boys were in the back yard praying for their late pet rabbit and Homer's subterranean garbage pressure became too great and pushed the rabbit out of it's grave

when that episode aired I was laughing so hard at that scene I couldn't breathe. it was amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

emgeejay posted:

surely this one can’t be real. will report back.
edit: gently caress

At least it's a treehouse of horror episod, I thought it was a main series one

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Cookie Kwan posted:

Why, because I didn't participate in your post season 8 hate circle jerk?

Go gently caress yourself? Why? Because I share a different opinon to you on a children's TV show? gently caress off idiot.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Imagine getting your very first ever probation in TWELVE YEARS, as a result of defending the honor of Simpsons season 20.

CodfishCartographer posted:

I dunno about it being the lowest point, but I really hated the episode when Frank Grimes' son comes back for revenge.

It's another one of those episodes that's not good, but tolerable enough to watch, imo. I got a good laugh out of Homer riding the flloat as a king and demanding the people sacrifice themselves to save him (which some actually do).

One thing that always bugged me though, about that episode is the scene when Lisa shows up at the end to tell Homer she's figured out who was sending out the death threats, which she has written on a piece of paper. Now, the concept of this joke is pretty solid, I think (Lisa getting the culprit hilariously wrong and said culprit being an otherwise completely forgotten character by this point), but it never sat right with me that she had it written on a piece of paper. Why? Did she think she would forget who the perpetrator was if she didn't write his name down and constantly have to reference it? I dunno, this just always vexed me.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

CodfishCartographer posted:

I dunno about it being the lowest point, but I really hated the episode when Frank Grimes' son comes back for revenge.

Yeah, I really loathed that one in real time but "He happened to like hookers, okay?" is making me crack into a smile even now

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Its even a Sideshow Bob episode too to make it even more galling.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Hah, I can hear Rod and Todd shrieking in my head.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I've been doing a rewatch. Season 1 is very solid, the worst episode is definitely when Bart gets shipped off to France. I feel like the bad rap it gets is from looking back on 7+ years, and a different (younger) frame of mind.

Some Enchanted Evening definitely has some weirdness to it that I probably wouldn't have noticed if I didn't know it was actually the first episode.

Started season 2 and Bart Gets an F is a good episode that's not really funny. It's very emotional and Nancy Cartwright did amazing on Bart's voice. It's also an episode that was rough, because I was a lot like Bart, and in my 30's I found out I had ADHD the whole time.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Bart has ADHD too that's how he discovered MLB is spying on us

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

I'll actually "agree" with the season 20 thing to the extent that, when I started going through my unwatched seasons recently, the 10-20 span was tolerable. No comparison to the golden age, but I could watch them and occasionally chuckle at something. After 20 is where it got truly dire, to the extent that I found it difficult to even keep watching.

Uh, he actually said the opposite

I do wonder how much the Simpsons currently suffers from unfavorable comparisons to the golden age, and whether people would tolerate it more if it were an unrelated series. On the other hand, it probably would have been canceled almost immediately

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
A TV at the gym is turned to the Simpsons and oh boy it's another episode where Marge and Homer are young newlyweds and krusty is there for some reason and farrrrrrt

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Phlegmish posted:

Uh, he actually said the opposite

I do wonder how much the Simpsons currently suffers from unfavorable comparisons to the golden age, and whether people would tolerate it more if it were an unrelated series. On the other hand, it probably would have been canceled almost immediately

If The Simpsons today existed in a vacuum, it'd be another unremarkable sitcom that would just fade into the background, like The Big Bang Theory or whatever. And really, it think thats what makes it some much more painful to watch, you know that it could be something so much better. Although, this kinda begs the question if you could really launch a show like The Simpsons today. So much of the golden seasons were rooted pretty firmly in 90s culture.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
If they made the show today Bart would steal a mobile game instead of Bonestorm

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ExplodingSims posted:

And really, it think thats what makes it some much more painful to watch, you know that it could be something so much better.

That's exactly why it sucks, yes. There isn't a show with greater disparity in quality

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Calaveron posted:

A TV at the gym is turned to the Simpsons and oh boy it's another episode where Marge and Homer are young newlyweds and krusty is there for some reason and farrrrrrt

There's no way this is true.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Calaveron posted:

The 90s one? Yeah that’s bad. All I remember is Homer being in a grunge band and getting addicted to Frappuccinos instead of heroin. Farrrrtt indeed.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

SEX BURRITO posted:

The 90s one? Yeah that’s bad. All I remember is Homer being in a grunge band and getting addicted to Frappuccinos instead of heroin. Farrrrtt indeed.

Nope, they were out in like a canyon and Homer was wearing a red cap and then Marge was in Krusty's office for some reason and a young Dr Nick comes in and gives Krusty something to huff and Krusty daydreams about old Buster Keaton routines

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

It's impossible to differentiate actual simpsons episodes from lazy shitposts about hypothetical simpsons episodes, and that's sad

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

tote up a bags posted:

It's impossible to differentiate actual simpsons episodes from lazy shitposts about hypothetical simpsons episodes, and that's sad

The synopses read like a "I fed 10,000 hours of Simpsons Episodes into an AI and this is what was vomited out" posts.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Vamp (Marge) is a royal and luxurious female dog. Shady (Homer) is in love with Vamp and eyes her from a distance, vowing that he will win her. After Shady is trampled by a mob of children, Vamp comforts him, and he asks her out for dinner. The two go to Luigi's, where, after a romantic pasta dinner (Except for the part were Shady nearly swallows Vamp over a string of spaghetti), the two run off onto a hill when the health inspector comes. In the morning, Vamp wakes up with nauseous feelings, and Shady leaves her, claiming that a fox hunter is near, knowing she is actually pregnant. In a musical number entitled "Any Minute Now" (featuring canine versions of Lenny, Carl and Barney backing up for Shady), the two dogs await for one another's return, though the cats living with a now-pregnant Vamp (Patty and Selma) convince her that Shady would never come back, whilst the dog who is friends with Shady (Moe) convinces him that he should stay with them rather than be "stuck" with Vamp and their puppies. Two of her puppies (Bart and Lisa) decide to go look for their father, and after being kidnapped by the dog catcher (Groundskeeper Willie), Shady arrives to save his children. Shady returns them home and reunites with Vamp, choosing to stay with her, but then Vamp informs Shady that there were actually nine other puppies in the litter (all of whom resemble Bart and Lisa with the exception of one, who resembles Maggie).

When Homer eventually gets bored with Marge's story, Bart tells the story of Sid and Nancy.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Mark Maron interviews Krusty about his biggest career flop, a space fantasy that's a passion project filming in Mexico. The entire town of Springfield is on the crew. Krusty fires the director immediately but is in over his head directing himself. Marge starts helping him out, and he becomes jealous that Homer gets any of her time. He starts giving Homer the most dangerous jobs, which leads to Homer falling into a ravine. He's talked into getting out by hallucinations of his future children. Then he gets kidnapped and ransomed. The film crew trades the finished movie reels to the kidnappers to get Homer back.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Frog Act posted:

Vamp (Marge) is a royal and luxurious female dog. Shady (Homer) is in love with Vamp and eyes her from a distance, vowing that he will win her. After Shady is trampled by a mob of children, Vamp comforts him, and he asks her out for dinner. The two go to Luigi's, where, after a romantic pasta dinner (Except for the part were Shady nearly swallows Vamp over a string of spaghetti), the two run off onto a hill when the health inspector comes. In the morning, Vamp wakes up with nauseous feelings, and Shady leaves her, claiming that a fox hunter is near, knowing she is actually pregnant. In a musical number entitled "Any Minute Now" (featuring canine versions of Lenny, Carl and Barney backing up for Shady), the two dogs await for one another's return, though the cats living with a now-pregnant Vamp (Patty and Selma) convince her that Shady would never come back, whilst the dog who is friends with Shady (Moe) convinces him that he should stay with them rather than be "stuck" with Vamp and their puppies. Two of her puppies (Bart and Lisa) decide to go look for their father, and after being kidnapped by the dog catcher (Groundskeeper Willie), Shady arrives to save his children. Shady returns them home and reunites with Vamp, choosing to stay with her, but then Vamp informs Shady that there were actually nine other puppies in the litter (all of whom resemble Bart and Lisa with the exception of one, who resembles Maggie).

When Homer eventually gets bored with Marge's story, Bart tells the story of Sid and Nancy.

this one is real and is really one of the worst episodes in the series. I was still occasionally watching the simpsons when this aired and when I saw this episode, it was over for me.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Here is the song from that episode.

It's over a decade old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEIPXhU2-uk

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Last Chance posted:

this one is real and is really one of the worst episodes in the series. I was still occasionally watching the simpsons when this aired and when I saw this episode, it was over for me.

Yeah it comes on a stream I watch from time to time and I always have to change it, because its just such so unfathomably bad. the whole cast as dogs singing off key. the hideous 2008 era animation. baffling violence and aggression between homer dog and marge dog. lovely references to other movies instead of jokes.

if anyone can watch this and not want to run screaming in the opposite direction i dont want to know them

edit: brutal double whammy on the thread with this song

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I'm not contaminating my yt history with something that looks like it was drawn by a furry smdh

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I'm not contaminating my yt history with something that looks like it was drawn by a furry smdh

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
if that thumbnail doesn't scream no click zone 2 u i don't know what 2 tell u honestly

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Grunge episode at least had the line "Hey, Kurt, it's your cousin, Steve Cobain! I think I've found the sound you've been looking for," which is the perfect encapsulation of what happened to the Simpsons' ability to produce jokes.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The Grunge episode at least had the line "Hey, Kurt, it's your cousin, Steve Cobain! I think I've found the sound you've been looking for," which is the perfect encapsulation of what happened to the Simpsons' ability to produce jokes.

it is also at least slightly aware its a terrible episode - at the end, when they're telling the kids about how they finally got back together, marge says something like "and thats how we knew we'd always be together, and nothing could keep us apart - unless the professor had been a little nicer at the beach that day", highlighting how stupid the whole narrative was

they also reference the original homer and marge marriage story by having them pork in a mini-golf windmill

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Oh god I listened to it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SirPablo posted:

Oh god I listened to it

lol owned

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Frog Act posted:

they also reference the original homer and marge marriage story by having them pork in a mini-golf windmill

Everyone points to the Grunge episode as a retcon, but it actually fixes one of the plotholes that's been in the series since the first flashback episode in regards to the characters' ages.

It's still a bad episode and I don't think anyone really cared about them explaining the five-year gap between Homer and Marge meeting and having Bart.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

pooch516 posted:

Everyone points to the Grunge episode as a retcon, but it actually fixes one of the plotholes that's been in the series since the first flashback episode in regards to the characters' ages.

It's still a bad episode and I don't think anyone really cared about them explaining the five-year gap between Homer and Marge meeting and having Bart.

They've been playing in that gap in the newer seasons. Flashback episodes to childless Homer and Marge are kind of the only new idea they've had in the last 10 years.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Iron Crowned posted:

Started season 2 and Bart Gets an F is a good episode that's not really funny. It's very emotional and Nancy Cartwright did amazing on Bart's voice. It's also an episode that was rough, because I was a lot like Bart, and in my 30's I found out I had ADHD the whole time.

it was a great episode, and it resonated with me for the exact opposite reason. i was one of the "gifted" kids, learned to read early, got skipped ahead a grade and got all As, and it gave me a soft-er spot for the kids who were slower than me (god this sounds like such a humblebrag but whatever).

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Who the gently caress is Marc Marion

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Calaveron posted:

Who the gently caress is Marc Marion

Me

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

pooch516 posted:

How is that a plot hole? A lot of people hold off on marriage and kids.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

PostNouveau posted:

Here is the song from that episode.

It's over a decade old

One thing that I noticed is that this sequence is fluidly animated like in a Disney movie.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

snack eater posted:

One thing that I noticed is that this sequence is fluidly animated like in a Disney movie.

I saw that YT comment too lol and just shook my head. i think the internet makes people stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Nutsngum posted:

How is that a plot hole? A lot of people hold off on marriage and kids.

In an earlier episode where they tell the story of grandpa giving Homer money for the house (by selling the house he built after he tries to give Homer cash, but it’s stolen by a bird) Marge is pregnant with Bart at the wedding