Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you play Monoply by its actual loving rules, notably the auction system, the game takes 30-45 minutes to play even with 6 people and maintains its core message of "capitalism loving sucks".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I just wanted those utilities. It wasn’t strategic. I just liked them.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Utilities are a trap. Railroads are the smart play.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

christmas boots posted:

Utilities are a trap. Railroads are the smart play.

Railroads were my second favourite, if that helps. I just liked ‘em, fruit-boots. I just liked ‘em.

Also, when I would get Reading Railroad I would always sing the theme from Reading Rainbow with the phrase altered accordingly. Good times.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I used to play hours long games of Monopoly with my dad and it was really fun, just the tension of passing by a long stretch of expensive hotels as you try to hoard cash and gloating over the other player. It's a good game even with the "wrong" rules if it's in the right social circumstances.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Just think of how much fun you two would have had playing a good board game!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

When my family played, we didn't do the auction and nobody would trade. Ever. You could pitch them the sweetest offer under the sun and they wouldn't take it because "it has to be a better deal for them if they want to make it, right?"

So needless to say you just rolled dice, walked around a board and occasionally drew a card with not a hotel in sight and everyone just gaining piddly amounts of money with each lap.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

What’s weird, to bring this back to video games, is that I remember playing a version of Monopoly on my friend’s PC in the mid-‘90s and it wasn’t horrible? (probably a warped memory; ANY video game that we hadn’t played to death was tolerable.) but I can’t for the life of me recall if it used the real rules or not.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'll take Monopoly over these stupid Kickstarter games that take an hour to learn and 6 hours to play any day. Gimme Candyland so it's over as quickly as possible. board games suck.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There are a bunch of house rules out there meant to make Monopoly play better. Same for that dumbass game Munchkin. Makes the games wayyyyyy better.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The common houserules for Monopoly and other board games, to the point where people don't actually understand the official rules of the game, seem to basically be made around minimising the effort you put into the game and making it drag out longer.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

veni veni veni posted:

I'll take Monopoly over these stupid Kickstarter games that take an hour to learn and 6 hours to play any day. Gimme Candyland so it's over as quickly as possible. board games suck.

Nah, board games are great. Just have to play one of the many good ones.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
We need more board games that are basically Mario Party. No pretence of fairness, nonstop crazy poo poo.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vegetable posted:

There are a bunch of house rules out there meant to make Monopoly play better. Same for that dumbass game Munchkin. Makes the games wayyyyyy better.

what are your good munchkin house rules?

mine are "let's play a different game"

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We need more board games that are basically Mario Party. No pretence of fairness, nonstop crazy poo poo.

I too want an Eric Andre Show boardgame.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Munchkin is a terrible board game

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The common houserules for Monopoly and other board games, to the point where people don't actually understand the official rules of the game, seem to basically be made around minimising the effort you put into the game and making it drag out longer.

it makes the game more fair for children I think.

when I played "proper" monopoly against my young cousins I was able to absolutely destroy them in the auctions. it's really easy to bait kids into bidding away all their money. without the auctions the game is mostly just random chance.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lambert posted:

Nah, board games are great. Just have to play one of the many good ones.

They are actually pretty fun but the people that buy them are goddamn liars about how long they are gonna take to play.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

They are actually pretty fun but the people that buy them are goddamn liars about how long they are gonna take to play.

we have to lie, you wouldn't play if we told you how long it really takes!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

It doesn't help that people have an aversion to reading the rulebook in advance for god knows what reason. So between teaching people the set up and explaining the rules the time to play the game doubles.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My last board game experience

"hey veni wanna come over and play this game I just bought?"

no

"It's really fun. It'll only take about 1.5 hours and I'm ordering Pizza for everyone"

ok fine

Via text: "Hey can you pick up some Red Baron pizzas on the way down here? I'll paypal you when you get here"

JFC

...5 1/2 hours later I get second place because the other remaining guy got a better dice roll than me even though I strategically owned him in the last move

Then I drove home in a blizzard.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 17, 2019

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

veni veni veni posted:

My last board game experience

"hey veni wanna come over and play this game I just bought?"

You gotta draw people into the story a little before you start asking them to suspend disbelief.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Twilight Imperium and Axis and Allies Global are the only games a grown man should play.

Despite you thinking so, "grown man" just means "adult male", not "gross fat guy."

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Chez G(r)eek owned.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Twilight Imperium

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Twilight Imperium

Mario party also doesn't take 12 hours to play a single game, so it can be reasonably played.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Barudak posted:

If you play Monoply by its actual loving rules, notably the auction system, the game takes 30-45 minutes to play even with 6 people and maintains its core message of "capitalism loving sucks".

It's still longer than that to complete, but playing Monopoly by the actual rules is the fastest way to end a game of Monopoly since what happens is you take your first turn, start an auction, people go, "What the gently caress?!" and then you repeat that you only agreed to play if they used the actual rules. Game is over right there. Now some people may say that makes you a dick; I prefer to think that you just spared people from playing Monopoly.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

People looking for Capitalism The Board Game should just play Chinatown. The bartering is intense.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Random Stranger posted:

It's still longer than that to complete, but playing Monopoly by the actual rules is the fastest way to end a game of Monopoly since what happens is you take your first turn, start an auction, people go, "What the gently caress?!" and then you repeat that you only agreed to play if they used the actual rules. Game is over right there. Now some people may say that makes you a dick; I prefer to think that you just spared people from playing Monopoly.

What are the fewest number of half-Boardwalk lands you can achieve?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Monopoly is a bad game.

The last time I played was at a family gathering. After the game had devolved as Monopoly games typically do, one person suggested we all form a consortium so that everyone could win. Seemed like a great idea. All the liberals who were playing quickly agreed. The conservatives said no, there can be only one winner.

No wonder this country is totally hosed.

(The conservatives kept playing for 2 more hours after we all bowed out. No one ever won that game. Well, I mean, we won because we enjoyed the rest of our evening.)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I've played it twice this week and the game took under an hour both times. I don't know what you people are doing wrong.

EDIT: OK, it's Sunday but you know what I mean.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Monopoly is a bad game.

The last time I played was at a family gathering. After the game had devolved as Monopoly games typically do, one person suggested we all form a consortium so that everyone could win. Seemed like a great idea. All the liberals who were playing quickly agreed. The conservatives said no, there can be only one winner.

No wonder this country is totally hosed.

(The conservatives kept playing for 2 more hours after we all bowed out. No one ever won that game. Well, I mean, we won because we enjoyed the rest of our evening.)

Clue is the only acceptable answer in family multiplayer.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

*mongolishly burts into thread* Aaaaaaaaafrikan tähti! It's not that racist!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Clue is the only acceptable answer in family multiplayer.

It's actually Scrabble, the thinking man's board game.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Shibawanko posted:

It's actually Scrabble, the thinking man's board game.

ok, Peggy Hill

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

ok, Peggy Hill

Peggy plays Boggle you IDIOT. :rolleyes:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

That's Boggle you clod

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
capitalism owns, unfortunately Monopoly does not

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Magnitogorsk. posted:

capitalism owns

Mods???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

You gotta draw people into the story a little before you start asking them to suspend disbelief.

What?