Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Some more information I got on the new Catherine ending: Catherine doesn't go back in time to make everyone happy, she just goes back so she can meet Vincent in High School and they can have a more conventional relationship. Apparently this means they get married much earlier, before Erica transitions. can anyone confirm or deny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That seems to be what more people are confirming is what's happening which makes more sense, but is also intensively stupid.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Some more information I got on the new Catherine ending: Catherine doesn't go back in time to make everyone happy, she just goes back so she can meet Vincent in High School and they can have a more conventional relationship. Apparently this means they get married much earlier, before Erica transitions. can anyone confirm or deny?

We just discussed this on the previous page. If that was true Toby would be a teenager but he looks exactly the same at the wedding as the rest of the game.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CJ posted:

We just discussed this on the previous page. If that was true Toby would be a teenager but he looks exactly the same at the wedding as the rest of the game.

I dunno, I could buy that Toby is a teenager in that scene, and also that Toby is the kind of guy who would crash the wedding of one his new boss's friends and that this is the first time he and Erica are meeting.

Captain Baal posted:

That seems to be what more people are confirming is what's happening which makes more sense, but is also intensively stupid.

Yeah, I don't think anyone is arguing that.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 17, 2019

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Toby is 10 years younger than the rest of Vincent's friends and he looks exactly the loving same. The natural implication is that it's the same time period the rest of the game takes place in. But even more than that, it's so weird and contrived if it actually is pre-transition that it feels like a weird reason to show off what she looked like "as a dude." It's still gross.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
People trying to defend this keep trying to say it's only bad out of context or whatever, but no context we get actually does make it better.

To me at least, I think that comes from the fact that even bothering to write that in at all betrays an insensitivity towards the subject. Seeing what a trans person was like pre-transition, especially if they don't want to share that, is basically only a point of interest to people totally uncaring about trans people. It's voyeuristic at best, and starts getting worse than that REALLY quick. Even if the scene was written to explicitly say that it was pre-transition and that still happened (which it isn't), that insensitive, voyeuristic root is still there. Context can't salvage it, because having that scene at all betrays poor treatment of the character in the first place.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cleretic posted:

People trying to defend this keep trying to say it's only bad out of context or whatever, but no context we get actually does make it better.

To me at least, I think that comes from the fact that even bothering to write that in at all betrays an insensitivity towards the subject. Seeing what a trans person was like pre-transition, especially if they don't want to share that, is basically only a point of interest to people totally uncaring about trans people. It's voyeuristic at best, and starts getting worse than that REALLY quick. Even if the scene was written to explicitly say that it was pre-transition and that still happened (which it isn't), that insensitive, voyeuristic root is still there. Context can't salvage it, because having that scene at all betrays poor treatment of the character in the first place.

I think in addition to this something else to point out is that they have not earned the benefit of doubt on this.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-phobic-crimes-of-katsura-hashino-director-producer-atlus.100145/

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That's about my take. If they'd handled Erica well at all then it'd be 'eh I could see having some iffiness with this but it makes sense with what they're doing outside of her,' but they didn't, at all.

Fun fact, the PC port of Catherine (handled by Atlus USA) has Erica listed as 'Erica' in the credits. The original version of Catherine has her listed as 'Eric.'

Guess which one fullbody lists her as?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Erica’s VA elaborated a bit:

https://twitter.com/erinfitzgerald/status/1096930966206001153?s=21

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Can't wait to be ashamed of our words and deeds

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
If the localization company just edit the dumb ending, this wouldnt be that big of a problem.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

If the localization company just edit the dumb ending, this wouldnt be that big of a problem.
tbh itd still be a problem? like even if you change this in tl it doesnt change that the original devs put it in

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Well yeah but a lot of poo poo thats creepy/offensive in Japanese Media get edited out anyway.

And if the localization team put a lot of effort and I meant proper editing, like drawing Erika differently and not a hackjob where the camera just zoomed somewhere else while Toby and Erika do their lines, I can't be too mad because they at least try to be conscious with how hosed up the OG version is.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've been saying it for years, but they should bring back the P2 crew. They were better on LGBT stuff (and writing overall).

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I've been saying it for years, but they should bring back the P2 crew. They were better on LGBT stuff (and writing overall).

Maybe LGB, but certainly not the T part. There were some pretty transphobic moments even in P2.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
*Thinking about the pedophile gay caricatures in Persona 5, released intact by Atlus USA in 2017*

You know, the localization will probably address and correct the issues in Catherine: Full Body. You Gotta Hand It To 'Em

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

Maybe LGB, but certainly not the T part. There were some pretty transphobic moments even in P2.

You're talking about the one NPC who got a wish from the Joker in Innocent Sin? I'd have to check my notes from playing the game but her name is like Strange Woman or something in the fan-translated version I played.

I feel like it could have been more tasteful and also tied into the story. Here was a man who wished to be a woman and stuff and it was played for comedy most of the time before she invariably became a Shadow like every other person who got a wish.

Random but somewhat related note: I played the fan version of IS and then the official version of EP. I noticed the "Gypsy" was renamed to something else in EP. I wondered if it was a case of the localization covering up/fixing something from the original that the fan translator didn't care about.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Did you play the Fan translation? Because it had some... issues. Like using gay as a slur at some point.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'd be more interested in the #FE team or the Dx2 team getting to helm a Persona title.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm going to make Persona 6 and it'll be Kamen Rider.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Can't we get the people who did Apocalypse? It's already a great Persona game.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm going to make Persona 6 and it'll be Kamen Rider.

So the further adventures of Makato?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Future persona team if you make a persona game with a girl that uses judo, rides a motorcycle, and has a badass outfit could you do me the favor of actually making her cool and not sound like generic white girl, tia

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Captain Baal posted:

Future persona team if you make a persona game with a girl that uses judo, rides a motorcycle, and has a badass outfit could you do me the favor of actually making her not a cop

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

That Makoto's takeaway from the hundreds of hours we spent together, and specifically from that sixth dungeon, was "I'm going to fix the system from within!" was very possibly the only take that could have made me forget about the gay pedophile npcs straight out of a 50s propaganda video and damned if they didn't do it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why did makoto go through a personality eraser machine on her way out of her intro dungeon

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rirse posted:

Makato will be the new G3 and exist entirely to show the police are failures and cannot save you.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Shinzo Abe has a lady cop fetish, okay?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

The obvious solution to this is that can make the Persona series better from the inside by becoming the director. Thank you Makoto

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Rirse posted:

Makoto's not allowed to be a kamen rider because her response to possibly being codenamed Rider was "ew gross no." absolutely shameful behavior imo

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Reposting this.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I feel like Makoto's life as a cop would probably be characterized by sympathy for people forced to operate outside the law and people screwed by the system, which probably won't help her cop career whatsoever but will lead her into a strong activist life in some degree.

Regretfully, the most brutal cop in Persona's lineups and the one most likely to embody the negative elements of the police force (outside of maybe corruption, but she does seem the type to unwittingly get caught up in someone else's) is Chie.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dojima was a cop and he was like the coolest dude.

Tatsuya's brother was okay, just bland.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Yo Atlus hire me for Persona 6 and I'll make all the bosses cops.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
What Persona needs are more prosecutors. Sai not becoming a playable party member is criminal, and I'd like to have another character in a similar vein as Baofu.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sae loving sucks and would be nothing like Baofu because her first problem is she's not wearing incredibly cool shades

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

Dojima was a cop and he was like the coolest dude.

Tatsuya's brother was okay, just bland.

Dojima came home so drunk he could barely stand, and his daughter's reaction makes this seem like a normal occurrence. He is a cool dude if you're an adult but man that is terrible parenting right there.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Brought To You By posted:

What Persona needs are more prosecutors. Sai not becoming a playable party member is criminal, and I'd like to have another character in a similar vein as Baofu.

it'd be pretty easy to write this in if they did one with adult characters, where the protagonist's days are grounded by college or a job

has anyone posted that in the last ten minutes because they're still never going to do it unless there's a massive reboot and it would still be the best way to freshen up the series

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I mean Persona 6 is going to have a different director (thank God), so there still a chance it might go in a different direction.

Oh who am I kidding we're gonna be a High School transfer student again aren't we.

At least let me play as a girl and date cute boys Atlus! Please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the actual best way to make one that takes place at an all girls school, thanks and god bless