Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

DC Murderverse posted:

fun fact: when I googled "Chicago off duty officer assault" in an attempt to find a very well written article that I use as exhibit A for my "Do Not Under Any Circumstances Trust Chicago PD" argument, the ten news articles on the front page were about four different incidents from the last year where off-duty Chicago police officers assaulted someone:

*An incident outside a gay bar that was not gay-bashing because the cop was gay too, so it was just a drunken rear end in a top hat beating some people outside a bar (while his boyfriend, also a cop, watched and eventually protected when investigators started looking into him

*another incident outside a bar in Rosemont where an off-duty probationary officer pulled out a 9mm and threatened/attacked people

*an incident where an officer sexually assaulted a suspect in his custody

* and worst of all, an officer who got acquitted of beating up two men in a tavern who, literally days after he got off, got in another bar fight after someone spilled beer on him. (this guy was also a part of a shooting where he shot at a man who (allegedly) was approaching him with a bat, so the officer shot that guy but hosed up and hit a bystander too.

None of these were the article I was looking for. (which is here, and incredibly worth reading because it goes very deep into how exactly the code of silence among cops works)

gently caress Chicago Police Forever and ever Amen.

Trusting anything the CPD says without indisputable proof is batshit. They're insanely corrupt and have repeatedly been caught doing all kinds of poo poo. They are basically openly running as a gang fighting over the drug trade with other gangs lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

Also, fake hate crimes are basically on the level of fake rape allegations: rare to the point of nonexistent and rhetorical tools the right uses to beat down victims publicly.

False rape allegations are rare, but they are not rare 'to the point of nonexistent.' Even a low number like 2% is 1 out of 50.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Mr Interweb posted:

Why are so many people in this thread acting like it's pretty much confirmed Smollett lied?

The last tweet posted in the thread implied he is lying therefore he is lying

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

They are now cancelling Empire over this.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Oh well if the perpetrators of the crime say they're innocent, then surely this guy paid to have his own rear end kicked.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Ocasio gave her inaugural address in the Bronx today and it is a much watch

https://youtu.be/u7NlJt34XSM

This is the pro-est of pro-clicks. AOC is showing herself as a devastatingly effective public speaker. Watch this video.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

It's being reported by CNN now and local reporters have been hinting at it for a while.

His story was that, after leaving Subway at 2 AM on a freezing night two white men screaming "This is MAGA country" attacked him. Did they preplan it? If so, how did they know he was going to be at Subway at 2 AM? If not, why did they have masks, rope and bleach? They apparently knew him from Empire, but how many white racists watch that show anyways? And how did he get away with only a small scratch?

I get it, cops are racist, they plant evidence and kill black teenagers. And, in Chicago's case they even ran a hosed up black site. Also, fake hate crimes are basically on the level of fake rape allegations: rare to the point of nonexistent and rhetorical tools the right uses to beat down victims publicly. All in all, this is an unfortunate and uncomfortable event that will be used by the worst people in America to justify doubling down on already hateful rhetoric. All that said, I just don't see it being anything other than a hoax this time. I've read about tons of hate crime stories and this is the only time any of them has ever set off my bullshit alarm. It always sounded fake, the local media have been hinting that it's fake, and now these two Nigerians are apparently saying they were paid to fake it.

Hey Logic Man is the Chicago PD conspiring with Jollett to fake the hate crime?

https://mobile.twitter.com/AJGuglielmi/status/1096206043728789507

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
this is a great thread for closeted bootlickers to tell on themselves

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

When you drink a little too much of your own koolaid:

https://twitter.com/girlsreallyrule/status/1096910180414119936

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

I dunno, since you two morons love walls does this mean you'll build housing for the poor, immigrants, and homeless?
I'm guessing not since you're both dumbasses only eclipsed by Beavis and Butthead

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Dr Christmas posted:

-He thinks a car chase scene from Sicario 2 is how human trafficking works

-He thinks Vince was in the limo when it blew up

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Not empty quoting.

Oh by the way here's a thing that happened a while back.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/oct/19/homan-square-chicago-police-disappeared-thousands

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 17, 2019

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Otteration posted:

Random possible ex-cop dog. Or maybe not. tax:

https://i.imgur.com/86liFJk.mp4

You, uh, never had a dog if you think this is a sign it was trained on a police force

The Gobbledygooker
Apr 5, 2007

SocketWrench posted:

-He thinks Vince was in the limo when it blew up

PAUL?? I can't feel my legs PAUL

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Sinteres posted:

Epistemic closure is 100% a real thing on the right, but I think you're proving it's becoming a thing on our side too.
It's not epistemic closure to refuse to trust a source which actually is packed with liars. Epistemic closure would be the belief that all non-leftist sources are so dishonest as to be useless. I think most people itt would agree that news outlets like CNN are relatively honest despite being heavily biased in favour of "both sides!" centrism.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The idea of a staged hate crime is loving baffling and I'm not sure of that makes it more or less plausible in this hellworld.

Haven't seen all the right wing tries over the past decade I guess, from backwards "B" lady to captain "my car got vandalized cuz I'm a chud". It's been a thing for a while as republicans get more insane and rabid every election cycle

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

VitalSigns posted:

Hey Logic Man is the Chicago PD conspiring with Jollett to fake the hate crime?

https://mobile.twitter.com/AJGuglielmi/status/1096206043728789507

That was from several days ago. It seems more evidence has come out confirming it was a hoax since. The same Chief Communications Officer followed up today.

"“We can confirm that the information received from the individuals questioned by police earlier in the Empire case has in fact shifted the trajectory of the investigation. We’ve reached out to the Empire cast member’s attorney to request a follow-up interview.”"

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/02/16/sources-brothers-released-bought-rope-used-in-jussie-smollett-attack/

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Meme rhetoric to close off discussion that causes narrative dysphoria while marking me as an out group villain. Even though I share the same fundamental worldview as everyone else in here.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Jealous Cow posted:

I bet the two guys who beat him were cops and they are framing these two guys that know him by planting evidence in their apartment.

They will probably claim they found clothing with Smollett’s blood on it because one of the cops who beat him planted it in their apartment.

This explanation makes 500x more sense than anything else that's been proposed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SocketWrench posted:

Haven't seen all the right wing tries over the past decade I guess, from backwards "B" lady to captain "my car got vandalized cuz I'm a chud". It's been a thing for a while as republicans get more insane and rabid every election cycle

Yeah, point. And I'm pretty sure those two Sudanese guys would admit to doing 9/11, the Kennedy assassination and stealing fire from the gods after the CPD was through with them.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

LegendaryFrog posted:

That was from several days ago. It seems more evidence has come out confirming it was a hoax since. The same Chief Communications Officer followed up today.

"“We can confirm that the information received from the individuals questioned by police earlier in the Empire case has in fact shifted the trajectory of the investigation. We’ve reached out to the Empire cast member’s attorney to request a follow-up interview.”"

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/02/16/sources-brothers-released-bought-rope-used-in-jussie-smollett-attack/

...why is it the Empire case?

Anyway even if it does turn out to be a false flag it's not gonna change much. Shitheads will crow about it, yeah, but they're all probably the same people who think the guy who plowed his car into a crowd in Charlottesville was innocent. Reasonable people aren't gonna assume all reports of hate crimes are hoaxes because once in a while they are.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

https://archives.sfweekly.com/sanfrancisco/a-secrecy-fetish/Content?oid=2177326

Also lol Harris covers up pedophilia for the the Catholic church.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Axetrain posted:

https://archives.sfweekly.com/sanfrancisco/a-secrecy-fetish/Content?oid=2177326

Also lol Harris covers up pedophilia for the the Catholic church.

I think all prosecutors are dead in the water as Dem primary candidates for the foreseeable future.

There’s way too much dirt and that poo poo doesn’t fly anymore in the current climate for even moderate Democrats.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

RasperFat posted:

I think all prosecutors are dead in the water as Dem primary candidates for the foreseeable future.

There’s way too much dirt and that poo poo doesn’t fly anymore in the current climate for even moderate Democrats.

IMO you heavily underestimate the shittiness of moderate Democrats.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
You're gonna specifically have to come out with that dirt and scream it to high heavens "So she's fine covering up for pedophiles" and even then, Schummer will harangue about times, sacrifices and big tents.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's def an angle to be taken about how Trump is exactly the kind of criminal that Kamala will gladly cover up the crimes of.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Axetrain posted:

IMO you heavily underestimate the shittiness of moderate Democrats.

Oh I think they’re plenty lovely, but Democratic base is sick of the prison complex and drug war. Putting away thousands of people for petty poo poo that most people think doesn’t deserve jail is not inspiring to even the most milquetoast of liberals these days.

I’m sure prosecutors have the connections to get into the House and Senate, but there’s too much publicly available smear material for them in a presidential bid.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

RasperFat posted:

Oh I think they’re plenty lovely, but Democratic base is sick of the prison complex and drug war. Putting away thousands of people for petty poo poo that most people think doesn’t deserve jail is not inspiring to even the most milquetoast of liberals these days.

I’m sure prosecutors have the connections to get into the House and Senate, but there’s too much publicly available smear material for them in a presidential bid.

I disagree. I really hope you're right but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Axetrain posted:

I disagree. I really hope you're right but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I’m fairly certain that marijuana legalization is pretty drat popular, like 60% in favor.

It’s also a majority opinion that we have too many drug offenders in prison for too long of sentences.

I would say that means the overwhelming majority of Democrats are done with the tough on crime bullshit, and that’s most of what a prosecutors career is.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mantis42 posted:

Meme rhetoric to close off discussion that causes narrative dysphoria while marking me as an out group villain. Even though I share the same fundamental worldview as everyone else in here.

:goonsay:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1097103477329649664

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
President Cher Horowitz has logged on.

Also, hook this poo poo into my veins

https://twitter.com/PunishedAayla/status/1096811315191074822

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Mantis42 posted:

narrative dysphoria

what.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

am0kgonzo posted:

This threads reaction to the Smollett story is hilarious.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1097109575248068608

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
The response in the UVa / Rolling Stone thread from a few years ago is not very different than this one.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3685497&pagenumber=1

"This story can't be false because frat houses are bad / the cops lie."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

RasperFat posted:

Still seems like she's leading in most polls and in favorability, plus California is a lot earlier this time. It just hasn't seemed that any of this has stuck so far, but there's been no debates or ads or anything as of yet either.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Pedro De Heredia posted:

The response in the UVa / Rolling Stone thread from a few years ago is not very different than this one.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3685497&pagenumber=1

But on the other hand, the chicago PD haven't even said that they don't believe Smollet, only unnamed sources "close to the investigation." Which is akin to saying some desk guy in the precinct. Until the detectives or superintendent say something, I am not going to wildly spread on the internet that Smollet is lying.

Like, during the Boston Marathon Bombing CNN said they had a source in BPD who said they had a suspect or were getting information and it turned out to be completely wrong. And in a case that is inherently political and hot button, there is a lot of misinformation spread. So again, I would wait until CPD ACTUALLY makes an official statement.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Pedro De Heredia posted:

That doesn't mean that frat houses and cops aren't terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1097117499336855553?s=19

I think he's rear end-mad about S&L today, but really it could be anything