Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

tino posted:

Stop loving quoting twitter.

Is this how bbs forums get with the millennials?

nah it's your fabulous posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Fallen Hamprince posted:

extremely telling how many people started developing issues with bernie's foreign policy the moment gabbard started running

what does gabbard have to do with anything. some people have been criticizing bernie and others long before gabbard started running, and before 2016 for that matter. try harder

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

No I'm pretty sure people only started noticing Bernie's foreign policy has problems last month. :thunk:

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

get this: bernie's foreign policy is bad and so is tulsi gabbard's.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

:pwn:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

R. Guyovich posted:

get this: bernie's foreign policy is bad and so is tulsi gabbard's.

a lukewarm take

Also what does Bernie have to do with shitposting about China?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
homex is australian???

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

homex is australian???

I have personally seen his twitter. he’s a gay space alien from Ecuador. he also has the piss tape.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Lightning Knight posted:

I have personally seen his twitter. he’s a gay space alien from Ecuador. he also has the piss tape.

actually he's a state department employee with questionable taste in tattoos. the knowledge of his true identity is the first step in uncovering hillary clinton's darkest secret

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

relevant to chinathread

https://indianexpress.com/article/india/train-18-breakdown-vande-bharat-express-engine-failure-5586740/

no idea why the url says engine failure, it's much more minor but still lol

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

that assumes that the US wants to set up bases in Taiwan to begin with. while i'm sure the DMV goon crew is up for more colonial misadventure, I doubt Ma and Pa Midwest would be thrilled to have their children serve as meatshields in yet another country

Ma and Pa Midwest are hooting abominations who will do as they're bidden by strong daddy

Infernot
Jul 17, 2015

"A short night wakes me from a dream that seemed so long."
Grimey Drawer
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/china-tibet-student-election-1.5019648

https://www.zdnet.com/article/chinese-company-leaves-muslim-tracking-facial-recognition-database-exposed-online/

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Which body has the best "erradically running infant" tracking?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:28 on Mar 23, 2021

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

those furry heads probably are pretty warm

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Don't worry, I've been assured multiple times in this thread by different posters that this isn't real and it'll be gone soon anyway so don't worry about it.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Grapplejack posted:

Don't worry, I've been assured multiple times in this thread by different posters that this isn't real and it'll be gone soon anyway so don't worry about it.

relax, even if somehow those posters are wrong and it turns out to be real, it will only be because it is very, very good actually

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot about China makes sense when you realise to American neoliberals capitalism is a religion to which you can't sacrifice enough, and are baffled as to why China isn't crippling itself to appease the Free Market like any sensible country should. (China is gleefully crippling itself in plenty of other ways, of course, but generally trying to avoid ways that leave them directly subservient to the US)

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Is every great power propelled on to the world's stage by a great crisis that overthrows the old order? The US and USSR became superpowers after the World Wars, Britain embraced the radical transformations of the industrial revolution in order to conquer the largest empire in history, Rome adapted itself to the sea and defeated Carthage, etc.

We'll probably look back at the collapse of neoliberalism and the climate crisis as the parents of the Chinese century.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Not necessarily, Germany around 1900 was also a rising industrial powerhouse that was trying to shake up the world order of the time (much more aggressively than China, mind you). We know how that turned out.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Kassad posted:

Not necessarily, Germany around 1900 was also a rising industrial powerhouse that was trying to shake up the world order of the time (much more aggressively than China, mind you). We know how that turned out.

Germany was the world order of the time. There isn't any meaningful distinction between the entente and central powers in terms of their political commitments, they were all imperialistic colonial powers who were at odds over their spheres of trade & influence. World War 1 was dialectical within that framework.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
I wonder if India is uplifting any percentage of her poor out of the slum or the rich to poor ratio remain the same.

Anyway Marx was right, probably turn out to be more right than Einstein.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
he didn't predict us boiling the planet before ending capitalism so clearly he was wrong

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well Britain's moment of triumph was Waterloo. They had fought almost continuous wars with France and it was the deep reserves of capital their modern banking system provided that allowed them to outlast Napoleon. They were even heavily subsidizing the other Coalition powers. With their largest colonial rival weakened they swallowed the world. It wasn't a complete victory, the world was still multipolar, but it remained so precisely because the UK's economic revolution was exported and imitated by other Europeans, America, and eventually the world.

Similarly, the World Wars mark the end of a certain type of Capitalism, the colonial-settler phase. America was most suited for the new forms of imperialism that replaced it, I guess. Its a globalized neoliberal Capitalism inaugurated with the Bretton-Woods System and international organizations like the UN.

Right now China is the only power offering an alternative to neoliberalism and the only one seriously investing in green tech. They're building a lot of goodwill in certain African nations, who's populations are set to explode. America isn't leading anybody.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

Right now China is the only power offering an alternative to neoliberalism and the only one seriously investing in green tech. They're building a lot of goodwill in certain African nations, who's populations are set to explode. America isn't leading anybody.

Please source your quotes

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

tino posted:

I wonder if India is uplifting any percentage of her poor out of the slum or the rich to poor ratio remain the same.

Anyway Marx was right, probably turn out to be more right than Einstein.

The liberalizing of India's laws and the de jure eradication of the caste system has created a lot of new opportunities even for Dalits to become professionals and even bourgeois. There is obviously a lot of prejudice and poverty that remains, but the sheer weight of India's population and the scale of its lands and resources make it practically impossible for them not to make major economic gains. It couldn't do any of this if it weren't for the political unification of a supranational economic group it actually comprises. If the rest of the developing world wants to replicate the progress realized by China and India, they will have to overcome the nation-state model by forming meaningful supranational unions.

That's a lot easier said than done, but so long as the rest of humanity remains divided along petty nationalist or post-colonialist state lines, they are easily dominated by the interests of the Global North.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

Similarly, the World Wars mark the end of a certain type of Capitalism, the colonial-settler phase. America was most suited for the new forms of imperialism that replaced it, I guess.

america was colonizing its own continent through the sooners just 140 years ago, even alaska much later. we had a lot more to gain from exploiting our continent than britain's settled island. surplus labor from all over the world flowed in and history was written

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Mantis42 posted:

Well Britain's moment of triumph was Waterloo. They had fought almost continuous wars with France and it was the deep reserves of capital their modern banking system provided that allowed them to outlast Napoleon. They were even heavily subsidizing the other Coalition powers. With their largest colonial rival weakened they swallowed the world. It wasn't a complete victory, the world was still multipolar, but it remained so precisely because the UK's economic revolution was exported and imitated by other Europeans, America, and eventually the world.

Similarly, the World Wars mark the end of a certain type of Capitalism, the colonial-settler phase. America was most suited for the new forms of imperialism that replaced it, I guess. Its a globalized neoliberal Capitalism inaugurated with the Bretton-Woods System and international organizations like the UN.

American Capitalism only works in an expending market. Once the entire globe is saturated with liberal capitalism the big fishes have to start eating the small fishes, hence the financial crisis. To quote something I heard on youtube, we are at the full swing of the Second Glided Age.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Mantis42 posted:

Is every great power propelled on to the world's stage by a great crisis that overthrows the old order? The US and USSR became superpowers after the World Wars, Britain embraced the radical transformations of the industrial revolution in order to conquer the largest empire in history, Rome adapted itself to the sea and defeated Carthage, etc.

We'll probably look back at the collapse of neoliberalism and the climate crisis as the parents of the Chinese century.

I have great faith that China will continue its peaceful rise and avoid the Thucydides trap w.r.t USA

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The liberalizing of India's laws and the de jure eradication of the caste system has created a lot of new opportunities even for Dalits to become professionals and even bourgeois. There is obviously a lot of prejudice and poverty that remains, but the sheer weight of India's population and the scale of its lands and resources make it practically impossible for them not to make major economic gains. It couldn't do any of this if it weren't for the political unification of a supranational economic group it actually comprises. If the rest of the developing world wants to replicate the progress realized by China and India, they will have to overcome the nation-state model by forming meaningful supranational unions.

That's a lot easier said than done, but so long as the rest of humanity remains divided along petty nationalist or post-colonialist state lines, they are easily dominated by the interests of the Global North.

India's current government and lot of its regional politicians seems more intent on exacerbating existing religious/regional/caste tensions than on the economy. You're not going to make many economic gains if the country explodes along sectarian lines

Also China was very careful to maintain control and build up their own companies, infrastructure and knowledge base even while letting western capital in. India's model seems to be to just act as a source of cheap labour and being an imperial vassal, dunno what the end game is here.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
The neolib austerity Chicago school shithead they put in charge of India's central bank had to resign....because he made public statements in favour of tolerance and secularism lol

https://www.businessinsider.com/r-indian-central-bank-chief-felt-undermined-in-weeks-before-quitting-sources-2016-6

quote:

Rajan had for weeks faced intense pressure from Subramanian Swamy, a politician in Modi's Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) who, say sources familiar with the matter, was acting with the backing of the Hindu-nationalist umbrella group to which the BJP is affiliated, the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS).

Yet it was Rajan's own forays into politically sensitive territory that led the Hindu right to target him - in particular over a speech last October to students in Delhi in which he said that social tolerance was vital for a country's development.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

mila kunis posted:

India's current government and lot of its regional politicians seems more intent on exacerbating existing religious/regional/caste tensions than on the economy. You're not going to make many economic gains if the country explodes along sectarian lines

Also China was very careful to maintain control and build up their own companies, infrastructure and knowledge base even while letting western capital in. India's model seems to be to just act as a source of cheap labour and being an imperial vassal, dunno what the end game is here.

India has also been a source of CEOs for US tech companies, meanwhile I'm sure China will stop depending on intellectual property theft for tech innovation *any day now*.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

SaTaMaS posted:

India has also been a source of CEOs for US tech companies, meanwhile I'm sure China will stop depending on intellectual property theft for tech innovation *any day now*.

gently caress IP, gently caress patents, china owns for doing this.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mila kunis posted:

it's always a hoot to see nominally "left" westerners with a disdain for 140 year copyrights and pharmaceutical patent extortion line up to defend "intellectual property" when china gets its start copying american patents, just like americans did to the UK 150 years ago

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mila kunis posted:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

tino posted:

American Capitalism only works in an expending market. Once the entire globe is saturated with liberal capitalism the big fishes have to start eating the small fishes, hence the financial crisis. To quote something I heard on youtube, we are at the full swing of the Second Glided Age.

Yeah it was all buoyed artificially by the destruction of Europe.

Anyways I don't know what I was going on about last night. It was a thought experiment not serious historiography.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

SaTaMaS posted:

I am sure they do it already but it would be stupid for the Indians not landrush the western ideas and build their own Fortnite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

europeans were very active and conscious about stealing cotton-related trade secrets from india

here's a link to part of a book that talks about it, hopefully google books will let you read the next few pages

https://books.google.com/books?id=k...pionage&f=false

edit: idk how google books links work, but i was trying to send you the link to Page 49 that you'll see once you click the above URL

and to be more on-topic, here's an article that showed up in the googling about the east india company stealing tea-related trade secrets from china. i haven't actually read it bc it wants me to let it run flash scripts before it'll even show me the text, which is annoying

https://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-magazine/long-reads/article/2095707/great-tea-robbery-how-british-stole-chinas

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 21:39 on Feb 17, 2019