Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Question about IRA Contributions and suchs..

I changed jobs last year and rolled over my 401k to Vanguard, I'm looking to do the max IRA Contribution ($5,500) i'm guessing I can just buy in additional $5,500 worth of whatever into my Rollover IRA Brokerage Account yeah?

Does Vanguard send out updated contribution tax forms or is it automatic (I don't have any forms generated yet for my rollover or anything)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

silence_kit posted:

Do I need to file Form 8889 if all of the HSA contributions from my paycheck are pretax? Is this what the form refers to as a ‘cafeteria plan’?

I got a mailing from my HSA provider, after I did my taxes, unfortunately, that I need to file this form. I could file an amended return with this form, but it wouldn’t change the amount of tax I pay. It looks to me like if I were to file it, it would be entirely blank, since none of the HSA contributions are deductible and I did not take any distributions from the account.

Technically yes, but it is just informational. I would just wait to see IF the IRS even sends an auto letter. If they do just respond with a 2 or 3 sentence response basically saying what you said here.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

black.lion posted:

Seems strange that Fidelity won't just do what you want them to with your 401k... I mean, if you're wrong (from their perspective) it's you that has to pay the tax + penalty... do they think they're protecting you from yourself? I'd call your rep there and tell them if they don't help you timely distribute the excess, and cause you to ultimately pay tax on the excess twice, that you're moving it to a competitor.

Did they give justification for why they want a tax professional to sign off on it?

FYI we didn't roll the old 401k over to Fidelity, that went to an IRA at Vanguard. Fidelity has the new 401k, and there is jack poo poo we can do about moving it anywhere while he's still employed at that company.

When my partner finally got the Fidelity rep he was talking to to realize he wasn't trying to get a loan or do a regular withdrawal, their response was that they need proof of how much we over-contributed, and that they can't trust us to give it (yeah...). They want a licensed HR or tax professional to give them the proof, and since his HR has this ridiculous policy of not talking to Fidelity about anything, it means we either somehow sweet talk Fidelity into helping us out, or we try and get the money removed from our rollover IRA at Vanguard.

BTW I know exactly how dumb and crazy our HR situation sounds, it is just our luck this round. Those dudes wouldn't even help us out with income verification when we were trying to rent a place out here, there is no help coming from that quarter.

MadDogMike posted:

You'd think they could look at the numbers and see the issue here without a permission slip. I don't know that you can necessarily pull money out from an IRA to fix a 401k issue though, they're under different limits and everything I can see in Pub 525 and the other IRS info seems to say it has to come out of the same plan over-contributed to, or at minimum the same type of plan I'd think. I'll double check to be sure though.
The main problem is that we didn't do all our contributions to the Fidelity 401k last year, a little over half went into the Vanguard 401k that my partner's last place offered. So it's more complicated than them just looking at their numbers.

Photex posted:

I changed jobs last year and rolled over my 401k to Vanguard, I'm looking to do the max IRA Contribution ($5,500) i'm guessing I can just buy in additional $5,500 worth of whatever into my Rollover IRA Brokerage Account yeah?

Does Vanguard send out updated contribution tax forms or is it automatic (I don't have any forms generated yet for my rollover or anything)
You can put the money into your rollover IRA, yeah. You won't get any kind of form about it, regardless of whether you're contributing for this year or last year; you just need to note the amount on your return. Re your 1099-R for last year (i.e. the form you need to account for the rollover), if that hasn't shown up on your account yet, you might want to give Vanguard a call; this is right about the time they should be showing up.

Edit: In case anyone was following along with our lovely situation, two long calls to both Fidelity and Vanguard have made it pretty clear that the easiest way out of this is to talk to a tax professional. I have no words for how much I want to strangle my partner's HR department right now

babydonthurtme fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 16, 2019

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Photex posted:

Question about IRA Contributions and suchs..

The max IRA contribution this year is $6,000 but yeah.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Hoodwinker posted:

The max IRA contribution this year is $6,000 but yeah.

I was talking about doing it for 2018 tax season

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Photex posted:

I was talking about doing it for 2018 tax season
Word, get at it.

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012
I'm wondering what online tax service I should use. I've used Turbotax for several years due to having a deal where it was free, but now that deal is gone and I'm looking around.

My situation is that I'm filing single, earned 60k last year, no property/dependents. I did a little contract work aside from my full time job so I have to do some 1099 filing. I have to report some capital gains tax for stock sales, and I hope to use a number of small deductions related to work expenses and student loans, probably no more than 2000. That's pretty much it.

Can I get some input on what online filing services are best? I don't feel that it's a complicated enough situation to have a professional file. tia.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
freetaxusa.com

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012
Oh I guess I could have gone back 2-3 pages to see the recommendations. Sorry I only looked at the op. Thanks!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone ever been in an HSA audit situation? I'm keeping track of claim ids, amounts owed, payment amounts and dates, and either an EOB or receipt if there is no EOB. Do I also need to track actual receipts for things I have an EOB for? Relatively annoying to do so and based on how FSA validation worked, it seems an EOB should be enough to hold up to an audit.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

What do tax pros think when they get a 1099-R with the PJ code on it? (P meaning this 2018 form has 2017 taxable income.) Seems like it opens a can of worms.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

smackfu posted:

What do tax pros think when they get a 1099-R with the PJ code on it? (P meaning this 2018 form has 2017 taxable income.) Seems like it opens a can of worms.

You amend py

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Is there a way to calculate an estimated IRS penalty for underpayment? I'm not looking for an exact amount but just a ballpark so I can figure if it's worth paying a tax pro to dig further into my turbotax work to see if I can get my tax owed amount down to not have the penalty kick in.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

tangy yet delightful posted:

Is there a way to calculate an estimated IRS penalty for underpayment? I'm not looking for an exact amount but just a ballpark so I can figure if it's worth paying a tax pro to dig further into my turbotax work to see if I can get my tax owed amount down to not have the penalty kick in.

Form 2210?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

baquerd posted:

Has anyone ever been in an HSA audit situation? I'm keeping track of claim ids, amounts owed, payment amounts and dates, and either an EOB or receipt if there is no EOB. Do I also need to track actual receipts for things I have an EOB for? Relatively annoying to do so and based on how FSA validation worked, it seems an EOB should be enough to hold up to an audit.
EOB doesn't mean it was paid. I'd go with some form of proof of payment, personally. I'm not sure what the precise IRS rules are (and I have looked before...fail on my behalf I am sure), so I play it safe.

One of my doctors billing departments can't give me receipts so I PDF the credit card statement whenever I pay that doctor. The rest of the docs provide receipts or paid invoices.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Epitope posted:

Form 2210?

Looks like that'll work for me, I think I didn't dig deep enough in turbotax at first. Thanks :)

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

What's the best way to go about looking for a reputable CPA for tax filing? My tax situation this year is well beyond my capability- joint filing with multiple states and countries. There are forms I need to file this year I've never even heard of before.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
I have kind of a stupid question-- I won about $2500 from HQ Trivia in 2018 (a mobile app). They collected a W-9 from me but have announced that they're not issuing 1099s (their claim is that because they paid out through paypal, it's on paypal to provide the tax paperwork). This is obviously wrong and dumb as hell, and since they're sticking to it after hundreds of people complained, i said whatever and just went ahead and filed (reporting the amount obv).

Back of the envelope, I've got them awarding about $2 million in prizes last year, and over the $600 threshold for probably about 1000 folks. My questions are:

1) If I reported the correct amount and they go and issue me a 1099 in six months when the IRS comes down on them, how much of a pain is it to amend my return, assuming none of the amounts change (I filed through turbotax)? Do I even need to?

2) Is there any chance that HQ gets assessed penalties or anything like that for not filing 1099s? I know that there's laws that say they should, but I have no idea how likely that is to happen.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Spokes posted:

1) If I reported the correct amount and they go and issue me a 1099 in six months when the IRS comes down on them, how much of a pain is it to amend my return, assuming none of the amounts change (I filed through turbotax)? Do I even need to?
If you reported the same amount that is on the 1099 that maybe will show up (in Box 7 presumably) then no, you don't need to amend anything

Spokes posted:

2) Is there any chance that HQ gets assessed penalties or anything like that for not filing 1099s? I know that there's laws that say they should, but I have no idea how likely that is to happen.
There's a chance! I forget the exact amount but it's some amount, which increases each month it's late, per 1099 not filed. So that can be reeeeeeeeeeal costly if its a lot of 1099s

Something like very late being $250 per 1099 not issued up to like $3M limit?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Spokes posted:

I have kind of a stupid question-- I won about $2500 from HQ Trivia in 2018 (a mobile app). They collected a W-9 from me but have announced that they're not issuing 1099s (their claim is that because they paid out through paypal, it's on paypal to provide the tax paperwork). This is obviously wrong and dumb as hell, and since they're sticking to it after hundreds of people complained, i said whatever and just went ahead and filed (reporting the amount obv).

Back of the envelope, I've got them awarding about $2 million in prizes last year, and over the $600 threshold for probably about 1000 folks. My questions are:

This is actually correct that they don't have to send 1099s if they paid you via PayPal. Here is an article discussing it:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2014/08/29/credit-cards-the-irs-form-1099-k-and-the-19399-reporting-hole/

I had to look into this earlier this year with my CPA for some business stuff.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
First off, what the hell?

Second, wow, that's really interesting. Thank you!

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

EBB posted:

What's the best way to go about looking for a reputable CPA for tax filing? My tax situation this year is well beyond my capability- joint filing with multiple states and countries. There are forms I need to file this year I've never even heard of before.

Multi-state is one thing, once you start to do foreign taxes you're screwed. I can file all the domestic returns, and probably have in my career, but I just don't do enough foreign taxes to know what in the hell Canada wants, or any other non-US country.

If I were you...

I'd call a larger local (20+ staff) or regional (more than one location) CPA firm. Inquire if those firms belong to a "network" of firms - that's your CPAs knowledge base for anything you don't do in-house (Hey, anyone know how to do a Chinese tax return?). That SHOULD get you enough connections, through your CPA, to get things filed.

It's going to cost you a fortune, sorry. To get started, follow this link and select your city:

https://www.bizjournals.com/

Annually, these publications list "top 50" or "top 100" CPA firms in that city/area, and you can start from there. Unless you're rich, I'd avoid the top 4 national firms.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Maybe I'll just shoot myself and let my wife pay the CPA with the insurance money. :suicide:

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

EBB posted:

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Maybe I'll just shoot myself and let my wife pay the CPA with the insurance money. :suicide:

Mo money, mo problems.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

EBB posted:

Then she will have to file an estate return next year.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

EBB posted:

I have a couple of very good Canadian firms i can point you towards. I work with them alot for outsourcing the Canadian work. Shoot me a pm

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I have a full time job with benefits, but I also do 1099 work on the side. If I want to pay a helper for one of my 1099 jobs, what's the proper way to do that?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

sleepy gary posted:

I have a full time job with benefits, but I also do 1099 work on the side. If I want to pay a helper for one of my 1099 jobs, what's the proper way to do that?

IMO you could make yourself a sole proprietorship and then pay whoever is helping you as an IC with a 1099 come tax time. Depends a bit on how much you are making and how much you are paying your assistant as well.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

I have a couple of very good Canadian firms i can point you towards. I work with them alot for outsourcing the Canadian work. Shoot me a pm

Much worse. My wife is a Chinese citizen with a US green card. Her law firm sent her to their Chinese office for three months last year. She was paid in RMB during that time and the PRC took tax out. I need somebody who can figure out the tax treaty in this case.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

EBB posted:

Much worse. My wife is a Chinese citizen with a US green card. Her law firm sent her to their Chinese office for three months last year. She was paid in RMB during that time and the PRC took tax out. I need somebody who can figure out the tax treaty in this case.

That's not too bad. I would try a west coast firm, they might have more exposure to Chinese taxes (Seattle/PDX/LA).

Edit: If someone is already doing the Chinese taxes (can your wife file them?) the US taxes aren't that difficult, just time consuming.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

EBB posted:

Oh that is much easier than Canada. I get alot of situations like that , her Chinese tax is credited through the foreign income tax credit form (1116). PM me and I can walk you through it if u need. Also a west coast firm if that matters.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

babydonthurtme posted:

<401k excess deferral saga>
Edit: In case anyone was following along with our lovely situation, two long calls to both Fidelity and Vanguard have made it pretty clear that the easiest way out of this is to talk to a tax professional. I have no words for how much I want to strangle my partner's HR department right now
Re this, is just going to our local H&R Block to have them handle this situation better than trying to find a local tax preparer to do it? Also, is there any way to just have someone talk to Fidelity and do the exchange of forms/proof re our over-contribution without completely doing our taxes?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

babydonthurtme posted:

Re this, is just going to our local H&R Block to have them handle this situation better than trying to find a local tax preparer to do it? Also, is there any way to just have someone talk to Fidelity and do the exchange of forms/proof re our over-contribution without completely doing our taxes?
I would be in no way surprised if you know more about the situation than somebody at H&R Block.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Hoodwinker posted:

I would be in no way surprised if you know more about the situation than somebody at H&R Block.
You stole my post!

But really, never go to H&R Block. As I see it, there are two options: tax software or tax CPA.

E: Or maybe an EA, but I only know CPA's outside of this forum.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 21, 2019

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I have a question on income limits on traditional IRA contributions. I work full time and my wife part time. I have a 401k and my wife does not have a retirement plan through her part time work. My MAGI is above the $121K but the language states that if you're MFJ and only one spouse is covered you can contribute fully up to $189K MAGI or $199K with phaseouts. Does that mean that my wife has to make the contributions to her Traditional IRA?

Turbotax is saying my IRA contributions are not deductible for 2018. Trying to decide if I need to get Wealthfront to move those contributions to my wife's IRA or to my Roth if I can't deduct at all.

Appreciate the help!

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

SiGmA_X posted:

You stole my post!

But really, never go to H&R Block. As I see it, there are two options: tax software or tax CPA.

:cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

No one's talking abt you bb :glomp:

something something "not all h&r block employees"

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, I forgot you work there. Are you or other decent preparers at your branch available on the remote thing H&R Block has?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

black.lion posted:

No one's talking abt you bb :glomp:

something something "not all h&r block employees"

To be fair I do work the offseason which involves dealing with mistakes, so I can safely say... yeah, even the experienced H&R Block people have some screwups. I just kind of laugh at the idea CPAs are always better; I have seen some SERIOUSLY messed up returns from CPA firms. Not sure you get out of the Russian roulette of "Is this person a good preparer?" without direct reference from friends unfortunately, there's no easy answer there. Like trying to find a good plumber when you basically just know what a pipe is, only more of a time sink (no pun intended) dealing with IRS letters for guessing wrong. I suppose working as a troubleshooter does get me a lot of clients; the one sure fire way of getting/keeping a client I've found is fixing something so they get more money/don't owe what that scary letter says, it is a pretty good answer to offer for the "good preparer" question :D.

babydonthurtme posted:

Oh hey, I forgot you work there. Are you or other decent preparers at your branch available on the remote thing H&R Block has?

I was one year though they took me off for some reason afterwards. Not sure who in my district does it; the main problem is the compensation for it was bad compared to regular tax prep so you wind up getting paid for doing a crazy business return (with people who often seem kind of vague about the whole "I need to ask you questions to check your return" thing) about what you get for somebody with a single W-2 in the office. That made it... less than popular to sign up for. They may have fixed that admittedly since they changed our pricing setup this year though along with the online return review stuff. That was half of the clients; the other half were "Oops, picked that by mistake, can you get rid of this service?". No, I can't; for some STRANGE reason they don't want me able to casually remove a service the client selected at my personal whim...

Also doesn't help that the experienced people tend to collect a LOT of clients so it's kind of hard to get the time to review those kinds of returns; I'm in my 4th year and I'm finding myself solidly booked even for some of the 10+ hour days I've been pulling lately, the people who've done it for decades are even crazier busy. Kinda of sad I celebrated when snow cancelled a bunch of appointments this week because it let me catch up on my drop offs. I do suspect people (us and others) are thinking about trying to move us towards that online stuff as our typical service type eventually, which I can't say isn't a logical future for things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

MadDogMike posted:

To be fair I do work the offseason which involves dealing with mistakes, so I can safely say... yeah, even the experienced H&R Block people have some screwups. I just kind of laugh at the idea CPAs are always better; I have seen some SERIOUSLY messed up returns from CPA firms. Not sure you get out of the Russian roulette of "Is this person a good preparer?" without direct reference from friends unfortunately, there's no easy answer there. Like trying to find a good plumber when you basically just know what a pipe is, only more of a time sink (no pun intended) dealing with IRS letters for guessing wrong. I suppose working as a troubleshooter does get me a lot of clients; the one sure fire way of getting/keeping a client I've found is fixing something so they get more money/don't owe what that scary letter says, it is a pretty good answer to offer for the "good preparer" question :D.

I was one year though they took me off for some reason afterwards. Not sure who in my district does it; the main problem is the compensation for it was bad compared to regular tax prep so you wind up getting paid for doing a crazy business return (with people who often seem kind of vague about the whole "I need to ask you questions to check your return" thing) about what you get for somebody with a single W-2 in the office. That made it... less than popular to sign up for. They may have fixed that admittedly since they changed our pricing setup this year though along with the online return review stuff. That was half of the clients; the other half were "Oops, picked that by mistake, can you get rid of this service?". No, I can't; for some STRANGE reason they don't want me able to casually remove a service the client selected at my personal whim...

Also doesn't help that the experienced people tend to collect a LOT of clients so it's kind of hard to get the time to review those kinds of returns; I'm in my 4th year and I'm finding myself solidly booked even for some of the 10+ hour days I've been pulling lately, the people who've done it for decades are even crazier busy. Kinda of sad I celebrated when snow cancelled a bunch of appointments this week because it let me catch up on my drop offs. I do suspect people (us and others) are thinking about trying to move us towards that online stuff as our typical service type eventually, which I can't say isn't a logical future for things.

Uhhh....if you've got any licensing or are at all any good, you probably could get picked up by a CPA/LTC practice and make better money. Just saying.