Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've realized what my personal Lego hell is tonight.

It's putting together a giant knock off brand MOC UCS Falcon stand, that you paid well over 2X the price of real Lego for, made of nothing but 400 gray technic lift arms and blue pins, and it stretches the limits of what a 'legal connection" is. All via a printout of a PDF with pictures about 1/10th the size of real Lego instructions.

Took me like 2 hours to get 100 parts together. Only 300 more to go. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Huh:

https://twitter.com/laughing_place/status/1096762111500398592
https://twitter.com/laughing_place/status/1096761126564651008

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I like the battle sets. Actual battle ~action!~ as opposed to the excuse to sell minifigs the previous battle packs were. now they're excuses to sell minifigs, with utility!

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
Take a closer look at that Hoth set as built. Oopsie.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sexual Lorax posted:

Disney exec just got the idea for "Battle for Hoth: A Star Wars Story"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sexual Lorax posted:

At least they got the generator right this time, unlike in the $300 version of hoth. The empire's generator that is.

I dig the speeder bike/Ewok one. I'll pick that up.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I am really digging this weird theme. That school bus is great.

https://twitter.com/laughing_place/status/1096764548852244480?s=20

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I got an email that the Flinstones set is out for VIPs on the 20th.

Hip hip hoor....zzzzzzzzzz

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Neat albino gator

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

I got an email that the Flinstones set is out for VIPs on the 20th.

Hip hip hoor....zzzzzzzzzz

That's one of those things where you see it and are excited for about 2 seconds before you realize, who gives a crap about the Flinstones? Hooray, it's so...familiar I guess.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do people even watch the Flintstones anymore? I watched it as a kid because the only entertainment I had was whatever was on TV or Nintendo. With every kid these days watching other kids play with toys on youtube, I would figure they don't have time for old cartoons.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
IIRC Genndy Tartakovsky (Dexter’s Lab, Clone Wars) tried to get a Flinstone’s reboot going a few years back, but it slowly evaporated just like his Popeye reboot. There was also a Ferrell/O’Reilly animated movie announcement way back but I’m pretty sure that’s been cancelled as well.

I think there was talk of adding Flintstones to Dimensions at one point, but obviously the game folded before it could happen.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
It's a well made set but who cares about the Flintstones.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Yeah decent but I don’t think a single kid I know - friends or relatives - even know what it is.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yeah, neat set but who cares about the Flintstones anymore? Also, no Dino figure? gently caress that.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
That Hidden Side theme is great, it looks exactly like the haunted cars and toilets from the Ghostbusters cartoon line. It's not pictured above but one of the monsters is a port-a-potty.

e: video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcMuvoLEwJ0

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 16, 2019

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
I'm super excited for hidden side, it looks great.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

A glow in the dark pirate saber. :aaa:
I'm also really digging this theme. I look forward to some impressions on how it works.

Those starwars sets look pretty nice as well. Kid me would've loved a tenchrun set with a target.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Big Mean Jerk posted:

IIRC Genndy Tartakovsky (Dexter’s Lab, Clone Wars) tried to get a Flinstone’s reboot going a few years back, but it slowly evaporated just like his Popeye reboot. There was also a Ferrell/O’Reilly animated movie announcement way back but I’m pretty sure that’s been cancelled as well.

I think there was talk of adding Flintstones to Dimensions at one point, but obviously the game folded before it could happen.

Seth McFarlane was working on a Flintstones reboot a couple years back too but it didn't come to fruition.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finally got the UCS Falcon on stand. That was a loving nightmare tbh. Also not a huge fan of the 70 degree angle but it'll have to do. Having it almost sideways you really lose all the cool detail on the sides, but I'll still take it over it sitting flat on the floor like it's been for 2 months.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
If you care about The Flintstones at all, read Mark Russel and Steve Pugh's Flintstones (2016) comics. The trades are all out and it's probably the most biting satire you could read in print form. Shame it got canned early (only 12 issues) but what we got was wonderful.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
This plane is pretty kickin rad. It's a shame the instructions are literally impossible.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Ha I got that set last week and it took me a minute to realize it was a misprint. The plane is awesome though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I like it, but I wish they would have implemented foldable landing gear like they did with 31047 Propeller Plane.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cojawfee posted:

This plane is pretty kickin rad. It's a shame the instructions are literally impossible.

lol, what the gently caress?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Such a beast it makes my other big sets look tiny sitting next to it lol. I need to make angled stands for the rebel fighters now so they can fly in formation with the Falcon. Also RIP top shelf Hoth display, you deserve better than that shadowy shelf but alas I have no more room. Next project I wanna make is tiered wall shelves on the right side, for the other UCS and get rid of that awful table. After that I think Star Wars hallway is done for the foreseeable future.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What set is that?

[Ed] referring to the plane.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 17, 2019

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

drat. I have no interest in that UCS Falcon whatsoever, but seeing it juxtaposed with all those other models really drives home the enormous difference in size and detail level in a way that no other image I've seen has.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you want something hilariously big that is not the Falcon, go for Hogwarts or Apocalypseburg. There's something for everyone!

Or the ninjago modulars.

Even if you hate everything about harry potter hogwarts is a gorgeous shelf piece. I can't wait to take it apart and MOC a Norman castle.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Habibi posted:

drat. I have no interest in that UCS Falcon whatsoever, but seeing it juxtaposed with all those other models really drives home the enormous difference in size and detail level in a way that no other image I've seen has.
I had the opposite reaction. I'm phone posting so I can't tell for sure, but is everything in that picture lego? If so, even accounting for perspective, a lot of the models in the foreground seem surprisingly large in comparison.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yes it’s all LEGO. Well, all the ones in the foreground are UCS sets so they are like 3x minifig scale. And they are also in the foreground so they look bigger than they are.

All of the Rebel Fighters on top are proper mini figure scale, and so is the falcon if you want a good frame of reference. Like, that x wing to the left of it is close to a foot long. It’s loving huge.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Feenix posted:

What set is that?

[Ed] referring to the plane.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Slugworth posted:

I had the opposite reaction. I'm phone posting so I can't tell for sure, but is everything in that picture lego? If so, even accounting for perspective, a lot of the models in the foreground seem surprisingly large in comparison.

That's all perspective working against you. Check out the regular Falcon on the bottom shelf under the big one. That thing is about the scale of most non- Star Destroyer UCS sets, and it is dwarfed in comparison.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/outofcontextph/status/1093796852938481667

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Brick me harder.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He's quite a stud

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wait a minute, what's happening to my special purpose??

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Picked up the new Technic Corvette on a whim last night. Honestly, a pretty cool build for the price. I was expecting an hour or two based on the relatively low piece count, but ended up taking the better part of 4. The drive chain assembly for pushing the engine pistons is neat because it requires both rear wheels to be rolling together to function. There’s an alternate hot rod build too so for $50 not a bad deal at all considering the branding and number of unique pieces.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Has anyone built the Technic racing yacht? I've seen it at Target a few times but haven't decided if I want to pull the trigger yet.

Also that Corvette looks pretty cool for the price point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Nth Doctor posted:

Has anyone built the Technic racing yacht? I've seen it at Target a few times but haven't decided if I want to pull the trigger yet.

Also that Corvette looks pretty cool for the price point.

I’ve been wanting the Technic Porsche for a while but just can’t justify a $300 Lego purchase. The Corvette has the same orange-and-black color scheme that I like and I’ve spent $50 on dumber things in the past. My stepson and I both have tomorrow off of work and school so I’ll probably take it apart and see if he wants to do the hot rod rebuild.