Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Cat Mattress posted:

He has a few daughters.

They've been dead for longer than he's been a demiurge, though.

Well yeah other than those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Kai Tave posted:

Also it turns out he didn't just kill all the other Ki-Rata masters because he was consolidating power/pridefully deciding that only he was responsible enough to bear such a burden, he did it because they sat by and watched his whole world die and did nothing to stop it. It's oddly humanizing in a way.

Thematically it's also kind of interesting for the comic too; these were guys with a lot of power who basically never used it in the interests of not "hurting anyone", and there's a fair argument that made them bastards. I mean, not counting the fact they decided they were allowed to kill anybody else who independently discovers the art (must be a bitch to be a budding martial artist coming up with a "neat new style" only for these guys to show up and punch your head off no matter what you actually plan to do with it) they sat on their asses and let a genocide go on without lifting a world-punching finger to help (besides one guy who emotionally blackmailed them who they decided would react just like they did to their training). Considering Allison's getting a lot more powerful now, it makes sense to start asking how best to be using said power, and it's kind of neat to point out that "don't actually use that power so you don't turn into an evil jackass" is... actually kind of moral cowardice/arrogance when you think about it. I don't think the story can end with Allison tearing down all the bad guys and just walking away, she kind of has to come up with a better answer than that if she's not just a different kind of failure to them.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > KILL SIX BILLION DEMONS - With great power comes great responsibility.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Yeah, I also feel like Solomon attacking the monks was more of a preemptive move than one purely born out of anger; if he started actually using Ki Rata for anything other than navel-gazing and the occasional bit of murder of anyone not approved to learn Ki Rata who figured it out on their own, the other monks would almost certainly hunt him down for doing so. While their fears about it being misused did prove right, in that Solomon-David is now basically Yemmod but slightly nicer and far less likely to be killed thanks to his mastery of Ki Rata, that could have all been avoided if they decided to intervene for once when a psychopath was busy doing unspeakable poo poo to the planet they were on rather than jerking off about ~*escaping the cycle of violence*~.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Kai Tave posted:

Also it turns out he didn't just kill all the other Ki-Rata masters because he was consolidating power/pridefully deciding that only he was responsible enough to bear such a burden, he did it because they sat by and watched his whole world die and did nothing to stop it. It's oddly humanizing in a way.

And of course he has to stay and overprotect Rayuba 2.0, because if he prioritises spiritual growth over protecting his home he's no different from his old masters.

SunAndSpring posted:

that could have all been avoided if they decided to intervene for once when a psychopath was busy doing unspeakable poo poo to the planet they were on rather than jerking off about ~*escaping the cycle of violence*~.

I love how they're too spiritually pure to defend a city full of people right next to their little rock stools, but the second someone picks a fight with them personally all of a sudden its spiritually acceptable to start vaporizing arm bones.

Cryophage fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 17, 2019

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Cryophage posted:

And of course he has to stay and overprotect Rayuba 2.0, because if he prioritises spiritual growth over protecting his home he's no different from his old masters.

This is my favorite part of this backstory.

Like no poo poo he's overprotective of the homeworld he rebuilt. He's known for a long time he needs to pass the torch to improve spiritually. But he must be scared shitless this will happen all over again if someone "not him" is in charge

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I wonder if the second sun is for redundancy instead of just showing off.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
It's always sunny in Solodelphia.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

pseudorandom name posted:

I'm guessing one of the suns is the original rekindled and the second is the sun that used to belong to whomever ordered all the bad poo poo to his home world in the first place.

Both trophy and redundancy.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Solomon Dave is cool as hell, and I'm going to be sad when Allison drunkenly staggers through his tournament and furiously dunks on him.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

At some point Allison's going to show up, beat rear end and demand that her ex boyfriend be returned and Zaid has to go with this giant scarred white haired lady that he's never seen before?

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Synthbuttrange posted:

At some point Allison's going to show up, beat rear end and demand that her ex boyfriend be returned and Zaid has to go with this giant scarred white haired lady that he's never seen before?

I know it doesn't fit the story. But I would laugh so hard if Allison finally finds Zaid and he's all

"Thanks for the huge effort to get me...but you know I am fine here. And you can keep the key. Having it sounds like a huge nightmare."

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Hell Zaid was probably some entry level part time worker and now he's treated like a dignitary of sorts by some bloke who rules a good chunk of the universe.

I'm guessing that if he didn't see it as a giant upgrade at first he'll come to appreciate it after a year or so. Imagine the levels of Stockholm Syndrome.

"Oh woe is me, I am trapped on this beautiful paradise planet where everything is perfect by law. How I miss my fourteen hour evening shifts in the 7-11".

*eats another grape off the golden platter*

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

DancingShade posted:

"Oh woe is me, I am trapped on this beautiful paradise planet where everything is perfect by law. How I miss my fourteen hour evening shifts in the 7-11".

This would amuse me. But the reason I am not sure the story will hit that beat is that Zaid is Solomon's guest.

And I can't see Solomon not expecting something of him.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Drunk Theory posted:

This would amuse me. But the reason I am not sure the story will hit that beat is that Zaid is Solomon's guest.

Oh yes finally a successor worthy of my kingdom! The prophesized king of kings! At long last he will lead-

Who the gently caress is that furious rear end in a top hat of a woman

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Who the gently caress is that furious dumbass of a woman

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

SunAndSpring posted:

Yeah, I also feel like Solomon attacking the monks was more of a preemptive move than one purely born out of anger; if he started actually using Ki Rata for anything other than navel-gazing and the occasional bit of murder of anyone not approved to learn Ki Rata who figured it out on their own, the other monks would almost certainly hunt him down for doing so. While their fears about it being misused did prove right, in that Solomon-David is now basically Yemmod but slightly nicer and far less likely to be killed thanks to his mastery of Ki Rata, that could have all been avoided if they decided to intervene for once when a psychopath was busy doing unspeakable poo poo to the planet they were on rather than jerking off about ~*escaping the cycle of violence*~.

Dumbass Ki-Rata masters couldn't even learn the wisdom of Tale of the Silver Prince

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

There's not really any difference between what the monks were up to and Mammon, just hoarding power that they never use for anything but hoarding more power, to the point it was at best going to doom them to a life on a sunless hellworld mass grave of everyone they'd ever known and they still didn't see an issue with the plan cause welp Yenmod doesn't truck in our specific kind of power so who cares about him

The world is a mess because all these guys keep getting tremendous power to reshape the world and immediately trying to use it to solve their own petty personal problems forever on a universal scale. The implication being that being well-meaning isn't enough, you can't tell the difference between a problem with the universe and a problem with you or your ingroup, and that's a disaster when everything you do has catastrophic consequences for millions of people. The only way for a demiurge to stop their neuroses from ruining everything they touch is to eliminate themselves.

MadDogMike posted:

Considering Allison's getting a lot more powerful now, it makes sense to start asking how best to be using said power, and it's kind of neat to point out that "don't actually use that power so you don't turn into an evil jackass" is... actually kind of moral cowardice/arrogance when you think about it. I don't think the story can end with Allison tearing down all the bad guys and just walking away, she kind of has to come up with a better answer than that if she's not just a different kind of failure to them.

You , personally, can go out and get a gun any time you want to. Is it simply moral cowardice that keeps you from shooting all the bad people so the world is good forever?

DancingShade posted:

Hell Zaid was probably some entry level part time worker and now he's treated like a dignitary of sorts by some bloke who rules a good chunk of the universe.

I'm guessing that if he didn't see it as a giant upgrade at first he'll come to appreciate it after a year or so. Imagine the levels of Stockholm Syndrome.

It doesn't sound like a big deal at first but you try making it through 7 hours every day of watching Solomon kiss his biceps

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 17, 2019

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Both can be true.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It doesn't sound like a big deal at first but you try making it through 7 hours every day of watching Solomon kiss his biceps

You say that as if I wouldn't pay for the privilege of doing so.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
We may wish to consider the possibility here that the monks were right and Ki Rata really is so ludicrously dangerous that using it against a universal tyrant is like trying to remove lice with carpet-bombing. It's the strongest martial art ever, and we haven't yet seen the kind of collateral damage that happens when Solomon swings into action.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

We may wish to consider the possibility here that the monks were right and Ki Rata really is so ludicrously dangerous that using it against a universal tyrant is like trying to remove lice with carpet-bombing. It's the strongest martial art ever, and we haven't yet seen the kind of collateral damage that happens when Solomon swings into action.

Unless it regularly does something substantially more than raise armies, rampage across universes killing everybody and blowing up suns they're at least comparable and the non-Ki Rata-practicing demiurges would still be worth responding to if your priority was protecting people and not being The Best At Ki Rata.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Unless it regularly does something substantially more than raise armies, rampage across universes killing everybody and blowing up suns they're at least comparable and the non-Ki Rata-practicing demiurges would still be worth responding to if your priority was protecting people and not being The Best At Ki Rata.

I'm prepared to consider the possibility that it does do that. Like, ten points is actually a novice skill, and the masters rarely dip below a hundred points. Anything in the Ki Rata arsenal that can oneshot a demiurge probably does more damage than that demiurge could manage in a hundred lifetimes, or something.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 17, 2019

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm prepared to consider the possibility that it does do that. Like, ten points is actually a novice skill, and the masters rarely dip below a hundred points. Anything in the Ki Rata arsenal that can oneshot a demiurge probably does more damage than that demiurge could manage in a hundred lifetimes, or something.

Is this coming from a Q&A discussion?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Is this coming from a Q&A discussion?

No, only from Ki Rata being the most powerful martial art in a setting where that's an incredibly high standard, and from Ki Rata schools only existing to prevent it being used in the general multiverse. It seems reasonable to assume people have grounds for being so completely terrified of it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The secret to Ki Rata is that everyone simply believes it’s the strongest. This widespread belief in turn actually empowers it. Anyone discovering the regular part of Ki Rata would quickly discover that the martial art itself isn’t that different and special and could accidentally topple the whole system. So those who master the art must kill those who discover the secret independently to maintain their own power. Ki Rata is the most royal of martial arts, just like all the rest of them could be and empty palm will soon be.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

It's because they're in an old spice commercial.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

A.o.D. posted:

It's because they're in an old spice commercial.

The Word is now Diamond

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Now if he could just pick up the words "is" and "unbreakable" he might actually comprehend justice

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

"What did you just say about my beard?!"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

M_Gargantua posted:

The secret to Ki Rata is that everyone simply believes it’s the strongest. This widespread belief in turn actually empowers it.

This ain't Discworld.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Schwarzwald posted:

This ain't Discworld.

That wouldn't fly on Discworld either except for the Monks of Cool (yo).

Royalty is not belief, because belief is not will or detachment from consequences. IMO.
Incubus is incredibly unroyal because he is borderline incapable of taking an L and laughing, which ironically dooms him to lose in meaningful ways.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

M_Gargantua posted:

The secret to Ki Rata is that everyone simply believes it’s the strongest. This widespread belief in turn actually empowers it. Anyone discovering the regular part of Ki Rata would quickly discover that the martial art itself isn’t that different and special and could accidentally topple the whole system. So those who master the art must kill those who discover the secret independently to maintain their own power. Ki Rata is the most royal of martial arts, just like all the rest of them could be and empty palm will soon be.

:orks:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Drunk Theory posted:

Solomon thinks Zaid is going to replace him so he's going to start teaching Zaid Ki Rata, and get upset that the Rising King hasn't mastered it in less than a year.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shugojin posted:

Dumbass Ki-Rata masters couldn't even learn the wisdom of Tale of the Silver Prince

Less wise than a frog.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Roland Jones posted:

Less wise than a frog.

to be fair, it was a very wise frog

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

OTOH, Solomon turned that guy into a topological defect with his elbow.

Darth Walrus posted:

I sort of see where you're going with this, but if Ki Rata is the atomic bomb and the monks are America ca. 1948, they've already crossed the Rubicon of using their power which no one else can be trusted with to murder the gently caress out of people in order to maintain their monopoly on said power. It doesn't make a ton of sense to go with, "no mortal can be trusted with the art which allows them to annihilate cities with a breath, but we won't stand in their way if they're willing to put in the time and really grind out their star-spanning genocide the hard way."

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Joe Slowboat posted:

That wouldn't fly on Discworld either except for the Monks of Cool (yo).

Royalty is not belief, because belief is not will or detachment from consequences. IMO.
Incubus is incredibly unroyal because he is borderline incapable of taking an L and laughing, which ironically dooms him to lose in meaningful ways.

Royalty doesn't believe, royalty knows.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Taerkar posted:

Royalty doesn't believe, royalty knows.

Royalty knows, even in the face of ignorance.

... especially in the face of ignorance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ki Rata is a weapon of mass destruction.