Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

FMguru posted:

"carpe pecunia", surely?

Pecuniam. Accusative case innit :hist101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

feedmegin posted:

Pecuniam. Accusative case innit :hist101:
the romans, they go to house?

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

150k is deffo the figgie point at which lots of places will start shoving money into your total comp and rsus instead of your actual figgies. Knew a principal eng who got paid that much cash and 600k usd in rsus at a public company

Its solidly deec
well next to 600k in rsu my bonus-peen is lookin real little now, but thanks for confirming that the figgies are indeed deece, comrade :hf:

Scionix posted:

Where are these massive salaries coming from? How old are yall? Where do you work? I don't doubt people are getting payed that I'm just not aware of many 200k contracts for twenty somethings in TX
I’m 31, moved from eu to new york and have no formal education past high school so im probably behind the curve as far as earnings go compared to phd havers. I have no idea what exists in texas besides afaik rackspace, and i have no idea what msps like that pay down there

Hambilderberglar fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 17, 2019

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
man the numbers people throw around in here as reasonable salaries always make me feel really bad about myself until i remember im a gay woman and make the appropriate handicaps to the figures people say they make.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
you're in wisconsin, right? i would assume that factors into things as well.

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

jit bull transpile posted:

man the numbers people throw around in here as reasonable salaries always make me feel really bad about myself until i remember im a gay woman and make the appropriate handicaps to the figures people say they make.

Also remember what a trashpile WI is wrt to paying computer touching. Most places were expecting to pay me $30k per annum, while I take home nearly that much after maxing my 457b + mandatory ~7% into state pension. Maybe Milwaukee is better, but hell if I want to find out.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

if you switch to the teams w/ the apple peeps i knew who would regularly get calls at 2am with a deadline to answer by 4am, you too can earn the fat figgies

(or you could be the sociopath telling peeps to respond by 4am, lol)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

if you switch to the teams w/ the apple peeps i knew who would regularly get calls at 2am with a deadline to answer by 4am, you too can earn the fat figgies

(or you could be the sociopath telling peeps to respond by 4am, lol)

she'd probably still get paid less tho

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

she'd probably still get paid less tho

large number * 0.7 or whatever is still deec number, usually

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

large number * 0.7 or whatever is still deec number, usually

i mean i guess the point is that she shouldn't have to switch to the really lovely on call at 2am team to make the figgies like the rest of us who get to work in our underpants and bumble around like idiots getting paid more and more and more

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

i mean i guess the point is that she shouldn't have to switch to the really lovely on call at 2am team to make the figgies like the rest of us who get to work in our underpants and bumble around like idiots getting paid more and more and more

frankly i suspect biggest difference is being in one of the figgielands like other peeps said, not really being on call. get to smash your face in those blank seamless glass doors

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah i dunno i'm way out of my lane anyhow

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there are like 500 peeps getting means-of-production rich (100 mil +) on ostensibly wage labor (mostly RSU's and poo poo in reality) in silicon valley nearly all workin for tech majors (almost to a man cis white or asian dudes), remember this. orders of magnitudes more peeps gettin solidly-rich also on ostensibly-wage-labor for big non-tech majors and tech majors. much much more money for founders and execs and poo poo. there's money up in them sand hills

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 17, 2019

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Fiedler posted:

you're in wisconsin, right? i would assume that factors into things as well.

no I moved to work at an unspecified apple office. I'm making way more than Wisconsin figgies but not the crazy 200k plus rsus plus bonuses people constantly mention in here as normal.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Hambilderberglar posted:

I’m 31, moved from eu to new york and have no formal education past high school so im probably behind the curve as far as earnings go compared to phd havers. I have no idea what exists in texas besides afaik rackspace, and i have no idea what msps like that pay down there

MSPs are a dying business, rackspace included

you don't want to get mixed up with that poo poo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

no I moved to work at an unspecified apple office. I'm making way more than Wisconsin figgies but not the crazy 200k plus rsus plus bonuses people constantly mention in here as normal.

you're also near the beginning of your career

the people making seven figgies down at apple have twenty plus years of experience and got poached from other high-dollar firms

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

MSPs are a dying business, rackspace included

you don't want to get mixed up with that poo poo

yep - I work in product at an MSP and half the poo poo we used to do as a service is now very easy to automate. we survive by building further automation on top of that and selling it to companies with stone age IT and mountains of technical debt, but that won't last for ever.

it's a good way to get exposed to a lot of different technologies but I would't recommend it long term.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

I can’t speak for anybody else, but I’m in an extremely niche market with my skills and can charge a premium. there’s a negative unemployment rate for Embedded Linux Full stack engineers with a focus on infosec. :v:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ratbert90 posted:

I can’t speak for anybody else, but I’m in an extremely niche market with my skills and can charge a premium. there’s a negative unemployment rate for Embedded Linux Full stack engineers with a focus on infosec. :v:

what does full stack mean in embedded linux?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Stringent posted:

you’re C code can talk to the cloud and the bits

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

you're professionally obligated to tell everyone about it at all times

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Stringent posted:

you write web assembly by hand

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Stringent posted:

For me it means everything from kernel drivers to the web front end.

Edit: And the systems stuff as well.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm getting sick but i have 4 video interviews with the 'dream job' tomorrow. it's not bad and i can tough it out but it's going to impact my performance at least a little bit. do i reschedule or do i just apologize for being a little under the weather?

pretty sure they'll reschedule if i ask.

e: yeah this is a dumb question i'll just ask them.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

i'm getting sick but i have 4 video interviews with the 'dream job' tomorrow. it's not bad and i can tough it out but it's going to impact my performance at least a little bit. do i reschedule or do i just apologize for being a little under the weather?

pretty sure they'll reschedule if i ask.

e: yeah this is a dumb question i'll just ask them.

If they say no then you dodged a :redflag:.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

ratbert90 posted:

For me it means everything from kernel drivers to the web front end.

Edit: And the systems stuff as well.

i do this too, though not in infosec which i guess is the crucial part

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
woo I got an on-site I didn’t expect. now I gotta figure out the lie for taking a day off. (not because my group is suspicious, but because we’re friendly.)

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Hi everyone. I've committed to a major career change, but I'm somewhat clueless and am trying to get oriented on where I fit in with the outside world. Part of this is organizing my thoughts, but I don't have a lot of contacts to use as a sounding board for this. Sorry this got long.

I'm a particle physicist 10 years out from my PhD, I also have BS's in computer science and math. Something like 1/4 of my day-to-day now is writing code, writing simulations, and doing data analysis, though the code is above average scientist-quality. I like and do lots of statistics including Bayesian analyses, creatively developing and experimenting with useful models, done a little bit of machine learning (but a LOT of regression). My day-to-day languages are C++ and python, proficient in a bunch of others from java to fortran, and comfortable picking up whatever. I use big computing clusters and the occasional supercomputer. I've had to maintain computing resources for groups of ~10 people before when I was a postdoc which was a bunch of rando computers, some higher powered shared resources (like for massive finite element engineering computations), down to installation, managing accounts, and package management to having to fight against and mitigate the flood of security risks that comes from being totally exposed with public IPs at a university and idiot undergraduates who think they're clever. I also do sensor and hardware development including electronics (simulation and R&D, technical drawings, fabrication, testing, troubleshooting), but I am not terribly hardcore with that.

I spend a good amount of my free time with stuff like playing around with computer security, cryptography, machine learning, functional programming, sifting through data, fiddling with my Arduino and pi and soldering iron. This is where a lot of my technical passion lies. I do a lot of presentations and public speaking including to senior funding suits and lab bureaucrats and write a lot of proposals and make a lot of budgets and Gantt charts. I feel like I can handle about anything that's thrown at me and would consider going out alone if I had the right idea and more real world experience (which I don't right now).

My present researcher job at a national lab is forcing some unacceptable changes and situations on me, so I'm out. I'm 38 and I make $90k. I'm in the Chicagoland area and would probably take a small pay cut to not move (family reasons, but I'm single and could move tomorrow without major consequence). I'm confident my former employers would give me glowing references. I have no employment gaps, have never been fired, have no criminal record. I've not started applying yet but spent a lot of time looking.

I've been looking at stuff in data science and it seems like the best fit for what I want, though the tools they use are pretty different from what I use. There seems to be piles of jobs around here, though most are downtown which is an hour daily commute each way (this is fine as it's on a train if the job is good enough). I've tossed around the idea of security research, but I feel like I'm too far behind in that and lack the formal qualifications. Military industrial complex is another, though they ultimately require clearance and I worry about that from my sadbrains (but I'm not in debt, have no drug addictions, but people they talk to would be like "Possum? Oh yeah, that guy was depressed and drank a lot when I knew him"). I really want something stable ultimately low mid six figgies for my lifestyle that's not 80 hours a week of constant chaos at every level and lives or dies by the whims of funding agencies and federal shutdowns.

Do I have a shot at getting into something that is a salary upgrade off the bat? Would I be able to move upwards quickly? What am I even worth? Am I loving myself over by not moving? Am I looking at the right jobs? Should I really take a chance and go for clearance? Are there things I can do to sharpen my resume and increase my appeal?

DrPossum fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 18, 2019

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Remote work in figgieland is for you, if you can hack it mentally

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

idk about whether you're qualified for ~dAtA sCiEnCe~ or should get a clearance but i'll say this: a big thing you're gonna run into is the bias against people who've left academia. (this may apply less if you look for more sciency, statistical modeling-focused roles, so maybe prioritize those.) there's a substantial contingent of hiring managers out there who just assume that we're unemployable because we don't care about the quality of our work or don't know how to meet deadlines or stupid poo poo like that. (not that those people don't exist, but they exist outside of academia too, and insofar as they're more concentrated in academia they're not the ones who are leaving.

idk about salary in general or chicago specifically but i'd be astonished if you couldn't swing at least low six figgies.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

DrPossum posted:

Hi everyone. I've committed to a major career change, but I'm somewhat clueless and am trying to get oriented on where I fit in with the outside world. Part of this is organizing my thoughts, but I don't have a lot of contacts to use as a sounding board for this. Sorry this got long.

I'm a particle physicist 10 years out from my PhD, I also have BS's in computer science and math. Something like 1/4 of my day-to-day now is writing code, writing simulations, and doing data analysis, though the code is above average scientist-quality. I like and do lots of statistics including Bayesian analyses, creatively developing and experimenting with useful models, done a little bit of machine learning (but a LOT of regression). My day-to-day languages are C++ and python, proficient in a bunch of others from java to fortran, and comfortable picking up whatever. I use big computing clusters and the occasional supercomputer. I've had to maintain computing resources for groups of ~10 people before when I was a postdoc which was a bunch of rando computers, some higher powered shared resources (like for massive finite element engineering computations), down to installation, managing accounts, and package management to having to fight against and mitigate the flood of security risks that comes from being totally exposed with public IPs at a university and idiot undergraduates who think they're clever. I also do sensor and hardware development including electronics (simulation and R&D, technical drawings, fabrication, testing, troubleshooting), but I am not terribly hardcore with that.

I spend a good amount of my free time with stuff like playing around with computer security, cryptography, machine learning, functional programming, sifting through data, fiddling with my Arduino and pi and soldering iron. This is where a lot of my technical passion lies. I do a lot of presentations and public speaking including to senior funding suits and lab bureaucrats and write a lot of proposals and make a lot of budgets and Gantt charts. I feel like I can handle about anything that's thrown at me and would consider going out alone if I had the right idea and more real world experience (which I don't right now).

My present researcher job at a national lab is forcing some unacceptable changes and situations on me, so I'm out. I'm 38 and I make $90k. I'm in the Chicagoland area and would probably take a small pay cut to not move (family reasons, but I'm single and could move tomorrow without major consequence). I'm confident my former employers would give me glowing references. I have no employment gaps, have never been fired, have no criminal record. I've not started applying yet but spent a lot of time looking.

I've been looking at stuff in data science and it seems like the best fit for what I want, though the tools they use are pretty different from what I use. There seems to be piles of jobs around here, though most are downtown which is an hour daily commute each way (this is fine as it's on a train if the job is good enough). I've tossed around the idea of security research, but I feel like I'm too far behind in that and lack the formal qualifications. Military industrial complex is another, though they ultimately require clearance and I worry about that from my sadbrains (but I'm not in debt, have no drug addictions, but people they talk to would be like "Possum? Oh yeah, that guy was depressed and drank a lot when I knew him"). I really want something stable ultimately low mid six figgies for my lifestyle that's not 80 hours a week of constant chaos at every level and lives or dies by the whims of funding agencies and federal shutdowns.

Do I have a shot at getting into something that is a salary upgrade off the bat? Would I be able to move upwards quickly? What am I even worth? Am I loving myself over by not moving? Am I looking at the right jobs? Should I really take a chance and go for clearance? Are there things I can do to sharpen my resume and increase my appeal?

TL;DR

E: Although yeah, you could go work for, like, hedge funds and make a stupid amount of money. Lots of that poo poo in Chicago (CBOT or whatever?)

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

raminasi posted:

idk about whether you're qualified for ~dAtA sCiEnCe~ or should get a clearance but i'll say this: a big thing you're gonna run into is the bias against people who've left academia. (this may apply less if you look for more sciency, statistical modeling-focused roles, so maybe prioritize those.) there's a substantial contingent of hiring managers out there who just assume that we're unemployable because we don't care about the quality of our work or don't know how to meet deadlines or stupid poo poo like that. (not that those people don't exist, but they exist outside of academia too, and insofar as they're more concentrated in academia they're not the ones who are leaving.

idk about salary in general or chicago specifically but i'd be astonished if you couldn't swing at least low six figgies.

*I'm* biased against those people which is one reason I want out. I know where that can come from, but I can squarely say I don't fit that description and pride myself on it. I appreciate you pointing it out and I just have to live with it.

Schadenboner posted:

TL;DR

E: Although yeah, you could go work for, like, hedge funds and make a stupid amount of money. Lots of that poo poo in Chicago (CBOT or whatever?)

Yeah, I didn't mention that and it's true. I'm considering putting in an application just to see, but the few people I know that have had some experience in that were clear that was never an option for more than a couple years and a quick way to burn out.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Or you could move to a figgieland. At least apply to jobs in figgielands, bearing in mind the cost of living doesn't matter with deec 6.5figs

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
90k is way too low for your credentials you been getting got

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

dragon enthusiast posted:

I have unironically heard of tech major phd internships which after the housing stipend paid as much, annualized

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I have unironically heard of tech major phd internships which after the housing stipend paid as much, annualized

This sucks!

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

dragon enthusiast posted:

I've always known that. On the broad market I hope you're right, and it's a few $k below a starting assistant professor at a public university (my closest equivalent), but not by much. I've stuck with it so long because I had some real autonomy in what I do, the hours I worked, the things I get exposed to (outside of the radiation), the tools I get, and people tend to stay in positions like this for several decades. This is being eroded and I'm getting too old to deal with that risk.

The only silver lining I'd posit is I'm too dumb to know what I'm worth outside of that context and people would see me as a bargain for what I'm asking.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

DrPossum posted:

I've always known that. On the broad market I hope you're right, and it's a few $k below a starting assistant professor at a public university (my closest equivalent), but not by much. I've stuck with it so long because I had some real autonomy in what I do, the hours I worked, the things I get exposed to (outside of the radiation), the tools I get, and people tend to stay in positions like this for several decades. This is being eroded and I'm getting too old to deal with that risk.

The only silver lining I'd posit is I'm too dumb to know what I'm worth outside of that context and people would see me as a bargain for what I'm asking.

if you can, get a few offers and compare them hard

never say what you were making before. that knowledge should be cleansed from your mind. i wouldn't blink if your total comp went up 2, 3x, but only in figgielands

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!
i want to give you figgies and i aint a salary snitch, check your pms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
i've having a similar career crisis in that i'm not sure what i want to do next

i spent 4.5 years in application development; web (backed and frontend), desktop, and etl as well as the ci systems and infrastructure to support them; 2 years doing devops work; 1 year in security engineering management; and another 1/2 year so far in security engineering as an individual contributor

i'm in a weird position of being on a security engineering team at a security company so a lot of the problems the average sec eng team are solving have already been solved for us. we have a dedicated secops team that handles id&r, operates our siem and vm solution, and works with it to secure physical and on-prem assets. my team is tasked with securing our cloud infrastructure as well as appsec

company organization and institutional inertia have made it tough for me to feel like i'm having any kind of impact and even though i'm stacking paper i kinda don't want to keep doing it

i moved to sec eng because i was bored of solving the same problems over and over again in devops land but it pays way better than i could probably make as a regular software engineer or a security engineer

i also just got promoted to lead security engineer which probably has some cache if i wanted to move to doing sec eng at another company where my work would be more impactful but i'm not sure i want to stay in the position of either being glorified engineering support or an intentional blocker

idk what's next thoughts?