Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I think:

Bayo 1 is $30
Bayo 2 is $50

Buying Bayo 1 makes Bayo 2 $30
Buying Bayo 2 makes Bayo 1 $10

It's a really weird system and they never did it again

Edit: 666 the number of the Bay

Are there other games it would have made sense to do it again for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Hello page 666 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbzUTRAUac4

Really looking for Astral Chains: Jojo’s Bizarre Cop Adventure. Platinum Games has never met me down

i missed that bit during the Nintonde Directs about the mii parade finally being back for marios super maker 2!!

:rock:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bayo 1 has aged horribly. Everyone says 2 is way better so I might pick that up.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

2 plays better but I really wasn't a fan of the aesthetic, story and characters. It all feels a bit 'B-team'.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Wendell posted:

Are there other games it would have made sense to do it again for?

It's not exactly the same but some developers give a discount on their games if you already own one of them - e.g. Devolver Digital gives 15%.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It really is. Or rather it is an amazing game having never played it. I'm assuming it's based on Japanese mythology but how much of it is true to the mythos and how much is just sticking names on things?

It varies. Some of it is just sticking names on things to get a "I understood that reference" reaction out of people. On the other hand there are entire segments of story and plot beats that are taken directly from Japanese mythology or folklore.

For the record, I didn't know any of that when I first played the game and I don't think the lack of knowledge lessened my enjoyment in the least. When I played the game again, I looked that poo poo up as I went along, and it was really cool to understand all the neat references and allusions and such. There's a lot. Like, a lot a lot. The game is just chock full of that stuff. Even little things in the background you'd never give a second thought to.

Game is great.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Bayo 1 has aged horribly. Everyone says 2 is way better so I might pick that up.

I played 1 for the first time when it came it came out on Wii U and I thought it was fine. I did have to switch on Casual Babby Mode 3/4 of the way or so through the game because I suck horribly at it. That was enough to get me through it, so no complaints. If you're at all better than me at the game, you'll be fine.

Still haven't finished 2, need to get back to it... I do agree 2 is better but I thought the first game was absolutely fine.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mons Hubris posted:

Mischief Makers remaster when

I thought a bunch of Treasure things were being done but maybe I hallucinated those news bites. Either way Mischief Makers is probably one of the most unique games I've ever played and if I had 3 genie wishes for series revivals/remakes I'd probably choose that, OutRun, and Ogre Battle off the top of my head (sorry Dead Space)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

RandomFerret posted:

Most of the aftermarket shell kits come with three big pieces, a front plate, a back plate, and a center piece. Throw that last one away. It's fiddly as hell, you never see it, and it makes the whole thing more fragile

Uhhhh... That middle bit is present on the stock JoyCons, it's what secures the battery and the rumble.

Just throwing it out would leave a lot of stuff just rattling around inside, assuming you could even get the outer shells to close properly without it.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Tetris 99 is wild, I’m pretty good at Tetris but haven’t been able to win a game yet. I’ve come in second 4 or 5 times, but usually by the time I get there I have 13 rows of trash to clear more than the eventual winner. It might also cause me to get a new Switch for my fiancé because she keeps stealing mine to play :(

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Annath posted:

Uhhhh... That middle bit is present on the stock JoyCons, it's what secures the battery and the rumble.

Just throwing it out would leave a lot of stuff just rattling around inside, assuming you could even get the outer shells to close properly without it.

I think he means to keep the original one and don't try to replace it with the aftermarket shell bit. Which I would also recommend because it's a colossal pain, easily the hardest part of the whole thing.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I hope you guys like poorly sourced, vague rumors

quote:

“Let me hint at something, I guess. This is a thing that I’m going to write up at some point as soon as I get some more sources on it. But there’s a game that’s thought to be dead that Nintendo’s reviving, and it’s not one that people would expect. It was very much a title that was dead and buried – very officially cancelled.”
personally im excited to play Donkey Kong Racing

Wendell
May 11, 2003

It’s Project H.A.M.M.E.R.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If I'm not playing Project H.A.M.M.E.R. by the end of the year my Switch is going out the window.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
How many "officially canceled" 1st or even 2nd party Nintendo games could there even be?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I can't wait to finally play star wars 1313

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
So that's why we never got Mother 3. We're getting Earthbound 64 instead!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

How many "officially canceled" 1st or even 2nd party Nintendo games could there even be?

I’ve changed my mind, it’s Chrono Break. GET HYPED.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RME posted:

Have you considered that might be Metroid Prime 4?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you considered that might be Metroid Prime 4?

sorry, it's going to be Retro's other cancelled masterpiece: Raven Blade

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

a pretty decent amount, it's just kind of a natural cycle in development and nintendo has been around for a long time
I'm sure there's a list on wikipedia if you're exactly curious, and then you have to consider projects that never see public announcements too

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Oh my God, it’s True Fantasy Live Online.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I think he means to keep the original one and don't try to replace it with the aftermarket shell bit. Which I would also recommend because it's a colossal pain, easily the hardest part of the whole thing.

Hmm, well I'll have to see how it looks when mine arrive tomorrow.

I ordered atomic purple, so the innards will be visible, dunno how visible the middle bit will be.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RME posted:

This isn't so much poorly sourced as... not at all sourced.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Prey 2. No not that Prey 2, the other one

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Wendell posted:

It’s Project H.A.M.M.E.R.

If there is any merit to this, then yeah, id say probably. Although I wish it was Starcraft Ghost.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I have a 20% win percentage in Tetris 99. 11 Wins in 55 games. Not bad...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thrill Kill

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It really is. Or rather it is an amazing game having never played it. I'm assuming it's based on Japanese mythology but how much of it is true to the mythos and how much is just sticking names on things?

Well, it's a Japanese game, with the entire artstyle based on traditional Japanese art, from what little I know about it takes a fair few liberties but probably also makes a lot of references that most Westerners would never get.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Half life 3 confirmed

RME
Feb 20, 2012

ill have you know that some dude at gameinformer is definitely the most trustworthy of sources and definitely not just interested in generating clicks with a rumor vague enough to always be plausible but easy to discredit

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Tetris 99 is wild, I’m pretty good at Tetris but haven’t been able to win a game yet. I’ve come in second 4 or 5 times, but usually by the time I get there I have 13 rows of trash to clear more than the eventual winner. It might also cause me to get a new Switch for my fiancé because she keeps stealing mine to play :(

Watching kevinddr stream, his processing speed is absolutely mind-blowing to me, and he'll still lose of he misplaces even one block once it's down to the last ten or so players.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I will be wildly disappointed when F-Zero FX doesn't land this year, with Fox as a guest character :shepface:

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

https://nintendoeverything.com/rumor-nintendo-reviving-dead-and-buried-game-kingdom-hearts-switch-talk

quote:

Earlier in the week, Game Informer senior editor Imran Khan stopped by the Kinda Funny Games Daily show. Khan ended up sharing what sounds like a pretty interesting rumor regarding Nintendo reviving a “dead and buried” game.

He stated:

“Let me hint at something, I guess. This is a thing that I’m going to write up at some point as soon as I get some more sources on it. But there’s a game that’s thought to be dead that Nintendo’s reviving, and it’s not one that people would expect. It was very much a title that was dead and buried – very officially cancelled.”

Khan added that he’s “heard enough about this game that I’m almost sure it exists again.” Beyond that, what this game might be is a mystery.

A bit later on in the show, Khan also spoke about the possibility of Kingdom Hearts on Switch. Kingdom Hearts III is looking unlikely based on what he’s heard, but the HD re-releases might be more feasible.

Khan said, “Last I heard, there was a talk between Nintendo and Square Enix about what they could do with Kingdom Hearts III. It was deemed unfeasible to get Kingdom Hearts III on the Switch.” Although Switch supports Unreal Engine 4, the game is “very demanding” and “not necessarily you can put out without pairing it down a lot.” While he’s unsure if the remasters are “actively being worked on”, he believes “that’s probably where they settled on it.”

Thanks to Jake for the tip.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bayo 1 has aged horribly.

It really really has not and I can’t even begin to understand how anyone would think that.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Here's my hot take:

The Bayonetta games are still very good.

When I first played 1 two years ago it felt perfect. The controls and gameplay are as close to perfect as can be. The second game continued the tradition. I liked the story and settings much more in 1 than 2. Those games are distilled action game fun.

They make me wish I enjoyed W102 despite several attempts to enjoy the game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It really really has not and I can’t even begin to understand how anyone would think that.

Every day those QTEs in cutscenes are more of a mistake

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I don't think DMC-style action combat ever really ages that much if it's tight. My PS2 copy of Devil May Cry 1 still feels really good to play barring a tiny handful of annoyances like the fixed camera, and I feel the same way about games like Revengeance and Bayonetta.

Changes to the formula have worked pretty well and contributed a lot to these games but they don't retroactively make previous action games bad. A lot of the core of attacks/combos/cancels/specials remains the same after almost two decades of iteration.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

I wonder what the legal and financial stuff around Eternal Darkness is because it would be really cool to see that again, bonus points if they updated the insanely effects a little to reflect being on a Switch.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Annath posted:

Hmm, well I'll have to see how it looks when mine arrive tomorrow.

I ordered atomic purple, so the innards will be visible, dunno how visible the middle bit will be.

Honestly, the joy cons are packed so tightly you won't see it except for the rail, and that's something that you should consider keeping stock anyway rather than introduce a potential weakness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I wonder what the legal and financial stuff around Eternal Darkness is because it would be really cool to see that again, bonus points if they updated the insanely effects a little to reflect being on a Switch.

I wish that Eternal Darkness sequel or spiritual successor or whatever had gotten off of the ground. The ideas for it seemed neat.