Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

What if they keep everything the same and just use it as a way to get around sanctions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah there's a chance of that (which'd essentially be no change, and so is more of a neutral than a bad anyway), but at least this presents an opportunity for change, whereas for the past 20 years there basically hasn't been one.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump...ingawful.com%2F

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/02/us-south-korea-reach-initial-military-cost-sharing-deal/582301/

Also the cost sharing arrangement for US military forces in South Korea has been agreed too. US asked for South Korea to increase it's spending to $2 billion (which covers the whole cost), but were talked down to $889 million. An 8.2% increase from South Korea. Instead of the normal 5-year period. This one will last 1 year.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Iran begins recalculating its interests immediately.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/henriferon/status/1094060650710601728

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
I am looking for History of (ancient) Korea contents I can listen/watch for my own enrichment. It's always something I keep an eye on but a recent online lecture of the Korean language from a linguist revised my interest of their history again.

I have already searched audible, coursera, edX and TGC, none of them carry any Korean history. You got tons of Korean War history, tons of Chinese history lectures and handful of Japanese and Indian history courses. But there is nothing on Korea. I know there are books on Amazon but I am trying to find something I can listen to. Any suggestion?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Not ancient Korea but this podcast is good

https://korea-now-podcast.libsyn.com/

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Thank you but I already have my fill of Korean War and peninsula geopolitic. Guess I have to read books or invest in a text to speech software.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah outside of some 1-2 hour long iTunes U courses about specific things, as far as I'm aware there is nothing. There used to be a podcast but it got wiped from the internet (and not to be a dick since I know it was by a goon and got better, but the early episodes about the ancient stuff were pretty rough anyway).

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Koramei posted:

Yeah outside of some 1-2 hour long iTunes U courses about specific things, as far as I'm aware there is nothing. There used to be a podcast but it got wiped from the internet (and not to be a dick since I know it was by a goon and got better, but the early episodes about the ancient stuff were pretty rough anyway).

Hi what's the name/keywords of the courses?

I searched for long videos of "ancient korean history" on youtube, there are handful of good stuff from university and institutes that are not from Korean TV. I ll be listening to them during this long weekend.

I also play with various online tts services this morning. They can't read the names correctly but they are not completely horrible. I will deal with the dead robot voice when I run out of youtube video to watch.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-usa-trump-japan-idUSKCN1Q6041

quote:

Japan's PM nominated Trump for Nobel Peace Prize on U.S. request: Asahi

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe nominated U.S. President Donald Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize last autumn after receiving a request from the U.S. government to do so, the Asahi newspaper reported on Sunday.

The report follows Trump’s claim on Friday that Abe had nominated him for the Nobel Peace Prize for opening talks and easing tensions with North Korea.

The Japanese leader had given him “the most beautiful copy” of a five-page nomination letter, Trump said at a White House news conference.

lol

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

tino posted:

Hi what's the name/keywords of the courses?

I searched for long videos of "ancient korean history" on youtube, there are handful of good stuff from university and institutes that are not from Korean TV. I ll be listening to them during this long weekend.

I also play with various online tts services this morning. They can't read the names correctly but they are not completely horrible. I will deal with the dead robot voice when I run out of youtube video to watch.

I can't find them anymore since iTunes U did some patch or something and garbled everything like a year ago, but there was one about Korean Buddhism and one about Korean art during Goryeo, one by the editor of Korean History in Maps about his book (but that went over some history too), and a few others I've forgotten. You might wanna try searches with goryeo/silla/baekje/goguryeo etc as dynasty names rather than just ancient history and you can probably find some more stuff.

That said I would kinda caution against random youtube videos. Ancient Korean history is especially controversial and you're almost certainly getting a warped perspective on basically whatever you're looking for. Or at least read a book/the start of one (Michael J Seth's A History of Korea from Antiquity to Present is probably the best non-academic one out there right now, although it's a very low bar) so you can learn to spot the more egregious stuff more easily.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Koramei posted:

I can't find them anymore since iTunes U did some patch or something and garbled everything like a year ago, but there was one about Korean Buddhism and one about Korean art during Goryeo, one by the editor of Korean History in Maps about his book (but that went over some history too), and a few others I've forgotten. You might wanna try searches with goryeo/silla/baekje/goguryeo etc as dynasty names rather than just ancient history and you can probably find some more stuff.

Thank you. iTunes U is hands down the worst college lecture platform but I will hold my nose and dumpster dive.

quote:

That said I would kinda caution against random youtube videos. Ancient Korean history is especially controversial and you're almost certainly getting a warped perspective on basically whatever you're looking for. Or at least read a book/the start of one (Michael J Seth's A History of Korea from Antiquity to Present is probably the best non-academic one out there right now, although it's a very low bar) so you can learn to spot the more egregious stuff more easily.

I spent the whole afternoon driving around Long Island picking up fire sale clothes for my baby and listen to the 3-day 6-hour presentations by Harvard professor Arne Westad talking about China-Korea relationship. This is as good as any academia audiobook I can find.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Oh yeah university lectures are fine, I mean the videos by randos. Bad for any history but doubly so for early Korea.

e: although I say that, but even the academic stuff isn't free of biases; there's just so much in Korean history that isn't settled. unless you find a source that's explicitly going over all the different sides of the argument, assume what you hear is at least somewhat biased and don't be surprised if you hear something later that seems to contradict it. For example, I listened to a lecturer for iirc a relatively prestigious university (can't find the specifics now, thanks iTunes U) nonchalantly say the Han Commanderies (the part of Korea ruled by Han China 2000 years ago) were just trading outposts with really limited reach; not flat out "wrong," but definitely just one side of the argument in a very open debate. The academic books are generally much better about at least paying lip service to multiple arguments than it's necessarily even feasible for a lecturer (no matter how knowledgeable they actually are) to be.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 18, 2019

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Koramei posted:

Or at least read a book/the start of one (Michael J Seth's A History of Korea from Antiquity to Present is probably the best non-academic one out there right now, although it's a very low bar) so you can learn to spot the more egregious stuff more easily.

Paperback cost $95.39, no kindle version :stonk:

History of Japan, which I have and rocks, $16.06 on kindle.

I got my latest ancient Korean fix from this, I have no regrets.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

God, Trumps is just so pathetically desperate to outshine Obama.

Pity he's such a loving failure.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Literally Trump's entire run was specifically meant to spite Obama and has succeeded beyond his wildest dreams. He's already successfully obliterated Obama's legacy as anything but a political footnote.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Literally Trump's entire run was specifically meant to spite Obama and has succeeded beyond his wildest dreams. He's already successfully obliterated Obama's legacy as anything but a political footnote.
he’s gonna appoint more supreme court justices than Washington and yet he’ll still be mad about it

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 23, 2021

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

If he breaks his ankle on the Ho chi minh highway will trump send air force one to get him the best medical care in the planet?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I appreciate that at this point the Trump admin's actions on NK are such a colossal joke that there were no posts in the thread at all after today's events. A total nonentity.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I was waiting to post until they announced denuclearization and peace on earth.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

I was waiting to post until they announced denuclearization and peace on earth.

Any day now. Keep your faith brother. :pray:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Discendo Vox posted:

I appreciate that at this point the Trump admin's actions on NK are such a colossal joke that there were no posts in the thread at all after today's events. A total nonentity.

I mean, it was a nothing yea. Trump clearly's trying to big dog after he kept saying 'I'LL WALK AWAY IF I HAVE TO' last time and instead came back with a generic 'we had lunch, it was nice'. Now he's doing it to go 'see I wasn't bluffing' and nothing happened, it was just kabuki.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Remember when clickbait sites wrote articles about Otto Warmbier's white privilege? That was funny.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Otto Warmbier: Trump defends Kim over US student's death

Turns out the real tankie was in the white house the entire time.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Discendo Vox posted:

i remember for a few seconds there what a wonderful opportunity Trump was given and what an easy lay-up of a peace process I thought it would be, even for a pompous idiot. Ol’ Frank’s money and connections don’t go as far in Pyongyang, I guess

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

A think the biggest problem for trump in international diplomacy isn’t that he’s a hugeness dumbass. It’s that he tore up the Iran deal that Obama negotiated and his advisors are all howling for a war with Iran.

Of course NK won’t give up their nukes because they know what can happen with successive US administrations. The best we could have hoped for was normalisation of relations and I hope that South Korea can still achieve that.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Trump's certainly done more to legitimize the NK government than any other US president.

And for nothing in return - how magnanimous.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Air quality is horrific today. (Jochiwon-eup, Sejong-si)

While it has never been good since I came to Korea in '09 there has been a notable decrease in air quality the last few months.

I use an ap that measures it as

Green 0-50 good
Yellow 51-100 moderate
Orange 101-150 unhealthy for sensitive groups
Red 151-200 unhealthy
Purple 201-300 very unhealthy
Maroon 301-500 Hazardous

It was in the purple all day today until it finally dipped into the red at 4pm. First time I've seen it be purple ever, with numbers in the 240s. Been red all the last week just about. This is China level poo poo.

Just ordered an air purifier for the apartment.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Demiurge4 posted:

A think the biggest problem for trump in international diplomacy isn’t that he’s a hugeness dumbass. It’s that he tore up the Iran deal that Obama negotiated and his advisors are all howling for a war with Iran.

Of course NK won’t give up their nukes because they know what can happen with successive US administrations. The best we could have hoped for was normalisation of relations and I hope that South Korea can still achieve that.

Obama also did that when he tore up the deal with Gathafi. So no third world dictator with any brain would ever give up their WMD. The fact that fat Kim take the train all the way to Vietnam and do a show with you pretend to give up nuke, he is already put in a lot of effort.

Fat Kim also want to normalize trade some what so he doesn't need to rely on China 100%.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/MoshehNBC/statu...ingawful.com%2F

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So now that the second Trump/Kim summit broke down the logical conclusion is NK is going to go back to testing nukes and missiles right? I mean that's how they got Trump to the bargaining table to begin with.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Nah it's probably continue negotiations with South Korea and keep the United States on the sidelines.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Charliegrs posted:

So now that the second Trump/Kim summit broke down the logical conclusion is NK is going to go back to testing nukes and missiles right? I mean that's how they got Trump to the bargaining table to begin with.

possibly. i kinda believe they got enough data that they don't need to do it for awhile. that being said, they are probably building a new testing facility since the last one broke. trump probaly legit likes kim now because he likes hard power dictators and because he hates being told no. but who knows.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
They don't need any more testing unless they develop a new type of device.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The only test they really have left for their current ICBM tech is an air burst test.

mystes
May 31, 2006

NK shouldn't resume testing because it will force Trump to admit defeat and take a hardline attitude.

The current situation is perfect for NK because the US is paralyzed and effectively out of the picture, which allows the maximum leeway for negotiation with South Korea.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

It's honestly not a bad situation for Trump either. The next election isn't for what, twenty months? A deal now has plenty of time to fail. A deal next year can be advertised in re-election ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

It's honestly not a bad situation for Trump either. The next election isn't for what, twenty months? A deal now has plenty of time to fail. A deal next year can be advertised in re-election ads.
If that was the plan then they should have just agreed to make a vague announcement that they are making progress but need more meetings.