Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gothsheep posted:

I'm trying to get the COMET ace now. This is some of the most infuriatingly bad game design I've ever seen. I'm using the X-02, it's plenty fast, but you still have a razor thin margin of error that's heavily luck based, because even with all the gun upgrades I swear to god 3/4 times it just..decides not to do enough damage to finish off the target or the mission targets in one pass, and if it doesn't kill it in one pass, hang it up because you absolutely do not have time to make a second. And because of that you have no margin of error for the next 3 mission objectives, and if any of them fail, you have to restart the entire mission over because Ace spawns don't save though checkpoints.

Definitely the worst black mark in the entire game for me so far.

That's not how you do it - use the upgrades to missile speed, tracking, range, and reload instead, and pour everything else into speed, acceleration, and handling. Both the ace and the missiles go down in two salvos, and while it'll be tight, you will have enough time to get everything down before it leaves the battlefield.

Never used the Strike Wyvern, so I don't know if it has enough upgrade space for all that, but I can confirm this works just fine with the Raptor.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I'd do bad things for an Ace Combat with 1965-75 planes.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

That's not how you do it - use the upgrades to missile speed, tracking, range, and reload instead, and pour everything else into speed, acceleration, and handling. Both the ace and the missiles go down in two salvos, and while it'll be tight, you will have enough time to get everything down before it leaves the battlefield.

That was basically my loadout. Though, literally right after I posted that, I said to myself, "I bet I'll nail it the next time I load up that mission just because I made that angry rant post." and lo and behold, was I proven to be a prophet. Well okay, I also realized I was overshooting the MiG-31, which caused me to have to swing around to reacquire it, and lose a lot of valuable time. Still, I think the very thin margin of error combined with the one shot per mission attempt is poor design.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gothsheep posted:

That was basically my loadout. Though, literally right after I posted that, I said to myself, "I bet I'll nail it the next time I load up that mission just because I made that angry rant post." and lo and behold, was I proven to be a prophet. Well okay, I also realized I was overshooting the MiG-31, which caused me to have to swing around to require it and lose a lot of valuable time. Still, I think the very thin margin of error combined with the one shot per mission attempt is poor design.

The useful thing about COMET is that, much like the missiles, he's just flying away in a straight line, so if you can get behind him, he's toast. Yes, I know you've probably realised this, but someone else is almost certainly struggling with this mission as well.

I'd call him the toughest ace I've faced so far if SPIDER didn't exist.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

The useful thing about COMET is that, much like the missiles, he's just flying away in a straight line, so if you can get behind him, he's toast. Yes, I know you've probably realised this, but someone else is almost certainly struggling with this mission as well.

I'd call him the toughest ace I've faced so far if SPIDER didn't exist.

Oh yeah, that one was also real annoying. I used the F/A-18 equipped with LASMs to snipe the targets that were particularly annoying to get, but actually dealing with him was a chore. I think I just got lucky and had him spawn basically on top of me so I could throw a couple missiles his way and hide before I got nuked.

EDIT: And yeah, I was grumbling to myself about two high-speed aircraft fencing that made me realize we weren't, I was chasing him and must have been overtaking him, and that's why my gun aim was off. Kind of ironic that I kept failing because I was too loving fast.

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 17, 2019

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Gothsheep posted:

I'm trying to get the COMET ace now. This is some of the most infuriatingly bad game design I've ever seen. I'm using the X-02, it's plenty fast, but you still have a razor thin margin of error that's heavily luck based, because even with all the gun upgrades I swear to god 3/4 times it just..decides not to do enough damage to finish off the target or the mission targets in one pass, and if it doesn't kill it in one pass, hang it up because you absolutely do not have time to make a second. And because of that you have no margin of error for the next 3 mission objectives, and if any of them fail, you have to restart the entire mission over because Ace spawns don't save though checkpoints.

Definitely the worst black mark in the entire game for me so far.
While I agree that it's dumb that he doesn't appear if you restart from checkpoint, all you really have to do is fire off two missiles and the hold the gun trigger down right on him for the third missile's worth of damage since, as mentioned, he's flying completely straight. He should be going down before you even get to the point where you'd overshoot him and has nothing to do with luck since not hitting him enough times with the gun is on you. Also the timing is only really tight for the first missile, as you have plenty of time for the second and third ones.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
If you ask me the only Ace that sucks rear end to draw out is the one on Mission 17, having to fly danger fuckin' close to the Mass Driver for like a whole minute and having zero idea of if you'll ever get him until late in the mission. That's the most hostile trigger.

I've made it through most of the game on a No Damage run so far.

And I just beat Farbanti. After getting tagged by a motherfucking ship from 3000m away at the last three minutes of the first part.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I found GADFLY surprisingly challenging. Not because of his spawn conditions - doing that canyon run fast enough isn't actually super hard even on Ace - but because he himself is legit good at using his Berkut, and you have to bring him down fairly quickly so the goons he spawns alongside don't maul the assault team you're supposed to be protecting.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I've seen a few complaints about Gadfly. I accidentally tagged him with an EML before I'd even realized he spawned (I brought the EML to snipe AD Tanks because they're the real issue with keeping your buddies alive in that mission) and then was surprised at my kill screen during the debrief. Since he starts flying straight at you I'd imagine any of the TLS/PLSL/EML trio could knock him down real fast, and the PLSL and EML are even useful in that mission :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, I was using a Raptor with bombs because I like going fast and erasing ground targets en masse. Unfortunately, that meant I had to dogfight him.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Gadfly was one of the first aces I got before I was even trying to find them so I never even knew what causes him to spawn. Of course I also got Gazelle without trying and apparently that's a common pain in the rear end so maybe I'm just lucky? Mantis is still the worst imo because there's no feedback for if you do the rail run correctly and due to the clouds (and everything else) going on in that mission you might not even know if he's there or not until you complete a decent chunk of that fight.

The easiest is definitely Jester since you can just destroy him before he even takes off.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

A 60s/70s ace combat would own just for the sake of the design of its fictional super jet.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

turn off the TV posted:

A 60s/70s ace combat would own just for the sake of the design of its fictional super jet.

https://tacairnet.com/2015/06/18/redeveloping-the-f-4-phantom-ii-into-a-mach-3-fighterspy-plane/

:getin:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I raise you with this:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

counterpoint: the f-14 is a piece of poo poo hanger queen

Only one man would be so heartless and cruel to say such a thing, Dick Chaney.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Sulphagnist posted:

Phantom/Tomcat crossbreed

PERFECT
IN
EVERY
WAY

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Radio Free Kobold posted:

PERFECT
IN
EVERY
WAY

I disagree. There's something vaguely unholy about it. Like something Man was never intended to see.

RE: Aces chat
I'm bashing my head against SPIDER right now. I'm simply not good enough at this game to play reverse whack-a-mole with ground targets hidden behind geometry while avoiding missiles with very hostile terrain.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Warmachine posted:

I disagree. There's something vaguely unholy about it. Like something Man was never intended to see.

I'm bashing my head against SPIDER right now. I'm simply not good enough at this game to play reverse whack-a-mole with ground targets hidden behind geometry while avoiding missiles with very hostile terrain.

Use the middle level of radar magnification to get an outline of the level's geometry (and keep in mind this outline is not always properly aligned with the level) and hit your targets while flying straight down.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Warmachine posted:

Take the Gripen E with LACM's to do it from range. Spear straight up through the clouds, and pop off a shot as you arc back down from a distance. Alternatively, you can take something with 4/8AGMs and just do your best high speed Free Willy impression over the mountain tops.

I cannot believe how much mileage I get out of the Gripen E in this game. It's my go-to plane for the Stonehenge Defensive.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Katsuma posted:

Take the Gripen E with LACM's to do it from range. Spear straight up through the clouds, and pop off a shot as you arc back down from a distance. Alternatively, you can take something with 4/8AGMs and just do your best high speed Free Willy impression over the mountain tops.

I cannot believe how much mileage I get out of the Gripen E in this game. It's my go-to plane for the Stonehenge Defensive.

The European jets all get pretty great load outs, which is frustrating when you compare them to something like the YF-23 that doesn't have any of the more ridiculous special weapons.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Warmachine posted:

It's the high-mount wings. It looks awful that way.

Warmachine posted:

Gripen/Rafale with LACMs plus the health regen and increased durability mods is easy mode. With the durability boost on Normal you should be able to eat a missile hit, flee back below the clouds, and regen back down to 50% damage. Cheap, but hey. Remember that LACMs are terrain-following so you can fire them from below cloud cover and they'll probably still hit.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Since we've got plane nerds in here, is it really just the case that the Rafale was the French doing the Eurofighter faster, cheaper, and prettier, or is the Typhoon legit a better aircraft in some regards?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Radio Free Kobold posted:

PERFECT
IN
EVERY
WAY

I was gonna say we can't have a truly perfect in every way plane until I get a cross between my real world favorites, the Su-47 (or X-29A, I'm not too picky) and YF-23.

Then I realized that that's just the ASF-X and suddenly everything makes a painful amount of sense.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

biglads posted:

Now I want an Ace Combat with prop-driven planes

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Crimson skies was so good

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Zomborgon posted:

It's called Crimson Skies and it was great.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Zomborgon posted:

We had them, for a brief sweet time:
https://acecombat.fandom.com/wiki/Piston_Fighter

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Since the aircraft of 2019 apparently have rail guns and lasers I assume that the AC aircraft of the 1940s had pigeon guided missiles and lightning cannons.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]
I really dislike the look of the X-02 when it's flying slow. The folding wings just look so flimsy to me.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Kinda hilarious to use in Joint Assault and AHL, they could be tuned for maximum mobility and have their guns automatically move towards targets in range.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

We already had that one in Ace Combat 5, as the ultimate Rhino variant.

But yes, bring it back

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

biglads posted:

so would most people here because by and large people are reasonable about liking cool games with cool planes doing cool stuff, but based on what I've seen the ace combat fanbase at large is unusually reactionary towards any changes outside a very narrow set of acceptable things to iterate on and a setting change like that would almost certainly set them off

which just goes to show how wrong they all are!!!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Anyone got some quick pointers for mission 6?
Managed to pull out a C rank with the F-2 and rocket pods (after about three attempts as well).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

Managed to pull out a C rank with the F-2 and rocket pods (after about three attempts as well).

The helicopter base in the stone pillars is a trap. Go for the second airbase instead once you're done cleaning up the first one. Also fly through the tunnel in that second airbase to spawn an ace and get yourself a funky skin and a lot of points.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I was gonna say we can't have a truly perfect in every way plane until I get a cross between my real world favorites, the Su-47 (or X-29A, I'm not too picky) and YF-23.

Then I realized that that's just the ASF-X and suddenly everything makes a painful amount of sense.

I mean, the Wyvern is also a Black Widow/Berkut hybrid.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The 1975 super jet being a Have Blue knockoff with variable wings would be very cool.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Psion posted:

the ace combat fanbase at large is unusually reactionary towards any changes outside a very narrow set of acceptable things to iterate on and a setting change like that would almost certainly set them off

this is probably because the series was neglected for the better part of a decade (if not the better part of this century) so the only ones really left are the die-hard fans.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Cooked Auto posted:

The answer to #6 (like every ground attack mission) is LACMs. Failing that, 4AGMs are pretty good (or XSDB/8AGMs but I assume you're nowhere near those); any other guided anti-ground weapon will suffice if you don't have either (except guided rockets which are just comically useless). Rocket pods aren't a great choice because it takes time to line up your shot. The key is It's better to just be spamming missiles at everything and scurrying for the return line when you run out of ammo every few minutes than trying to focus on using what you have perfectly.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

UGBs with +area
4AGMs with +capacity
LACMs or LAGMs if you have them (again, +capacity)
GPBs are okay if you want but i never really use them
in general, try and use every weapon you've got. almost all ground target only take one missile to kill, and you can line up your guns on a target while tagging two others with a missile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

power crystals posted:

The answer to #6 (like every ground attack mission) is LACMs. Failing that, 4AGMs are pretty good (or XSDB/8AGMs but I assume you're nowhere near those); any other guided anti-ground weapon will suffice if you don't have either (except guided rockets which are just comically useless). Rocket pods aren't a great choice because it takes time to line up your shot. The key is It's better to just be spamming missiles at everything and scurrying for the return line when you run out of ammo every few minutes than trying to focus on using what you have perfectly.

I've had good results with the A-10, with the bomb load and blast radius upgrades. Can get S-rank and clear all base without having to return and reload once. Heck, now that I think about it, I don't think I've EVER reloaded and rearmed in that mission. Bandog told me not to, and I'm aiming for a good behaviour parole.