Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
RIP Bioware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In isolation that doesn't sound like such a big deal but the fact that people are running into it after a day kind of indicates there's not much game there.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

If it has the same content as launch Destiny, then ayup.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

bushisms.txt posted:

Does this mean they're a centrist shithead that wants us to look at what both sides bring to the table?

They were always making GBS threads on the people complaining about game censorship so I guess I got that wrong.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Ok I had an anxiety dream about my Switch purchase

Does breath of the wild feel good to play on handheld mode? I’m worried that it’ll feel weird and that it’ll be hard to see stuff

I played BotW exclusively in handheld mode.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

The Colonel posted:

also the "it takes place before erica transitions" thing is, something that has been mentioned to death

it's, just not really a good excuse or one that any trans people are happy with. and full body is still a game where an entire character exists for the sake of trans panic

katsura hashino is not a game developer who deserves the benefit of the doubt

also there's the part where Toby is a decade younger than the other characters, so going from "Erica didn't transition in the new timeline" to "everyone gets married before Erica transitions in the new timeline, and she hits on underage boys at the wedding" does not exactly strike me as a more defensible position.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Colonel posted:

there are multiple people in the actual localization industry who think this is hosed up. like. this is not just some poo poo being stirred by a rando online. literally everybody, agrees, that the scene is hosed up, including people who, translate japanese games for a living

No I'm sure we can trust a journalist with such reputable headlines as 'Stop Being Offended By Every Video Game' and 'Red Dead Redemption 2 Might Have All-Male Leads And That's Totally Okay'

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pharohman777 posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SophNar0747/status/1097114182334459904

So apparently the Catherine being transphobic thing might have been faked by the same person who said that fire emblem fates had anti-gay stuff.

Toby didn't know Erica prior to her transition so the original point still stands that the new ending completely reverses the character.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I dont remember anyone from catherines name

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

I dont remember anyone from catherines name

Catherine and Katherine

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The sheep were cool.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I love this

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXmTtumpKG8

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

In Training posted:

Catherine and Katherine

and Qatherine

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Why do people like Terry Crews?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

He seems goofy and fun? Don’t know much about him

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Verranicus posted:

He has a funny persona and has had some roles people fondly remember. Why do you not like Terry Crews?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Verranicus posted:

He's a prominent black actor built like a tank with really good comedy chops that excels both as the goofy macho man but also goofball weirdos. It's always a joy seeing him act to the rafters in anything he's in.

But he's also not at all shy about discussing hosed up poo poo Hollywood men don't usually discuss. He was one of the earliest Hollywood men who backed the #metoo movement by discussing his own sexual abuse by a powerful Hollywood person because yes, it can totally happen to a 6'2" 250lb monster and he doesn't hesitate to tell assholes to gently caress off but also doesn't dominate the conversation from women or make it about himself.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, Terry Crews is just a funny dude who's in some good things and is also just a really positive, supportive voice all the time. He's a cool guy.

exquisite tea posted:

In isolation that doesn't sound like such a big deal but the fact that people are running into it after a day kind of indicates there's not much game there.

It comes after like the fourth main quest, so yeah.

Some people are speculating that it's supposed to count things you've already done (since that's happening for some players), which would make it notably better--like 80% of the objectives would be complete by the time you get the quest--but even with that it's a stupid quest.

It's not even necessary padding, that's the fun part. The game also gives you five side missions at the same time as that objective, and doing those side missions will probably get you most of the way there. They could've just made you do those five side missions and not had the stupid grind attached to it and it would've taken maybe an hour less per player. It's just so loving stupid.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 17, 2019

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Terry Crews just seems like a great guy all round while also being super funny and large.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My favorite role of his was as President Camacho in Idiocracy.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Also he did that series of videos where he built a PC to game with his son :3:

In those videos he told his son "You can play games after we work out," a lesson we might all take to heart

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Anthem more like pan-them.

Because it's bad and should be panned in reviews.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/SophNar0747/status/1097141793429311489

Starving and broke while writing NPC SJW video game drivel to own the libs

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Can we stop linking to Twitter drama as if anything on there is worth reading or knowing about?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

This sort of nonsense is OK as completely optional poo poo to grind out for cosmetics or whatever, but having it as a necessary part of gameplay progression is a big oof

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

exquisite tea posted:

I get really disheartened and sad whenever I see something from some total loving nobody on twitter. It's a big deal, to me.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think, the nichegamer writer person has an extremely weird relationship with their own identity and weird problems with their way of thinking and seeing tweets from them just makes me kind of sad that someone is subjecting themself to feeling absolutely miserable for extremely stupid and misguided reasons

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Yes, but enough about Jeff Gerstmann.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Reading lovely takes on the internet does wonders for my sense of self-worth, don’t stop now!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

pizza is bad

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There really is a lot about Anthem that is legitimately excellent, and just about all of it is found in the combat system (especially the ability, gear, and class design). It's just that everything else about the game is a total mess, and sometimes in ways that don't seem all that fixable (like, things where it's clear this engine wasn't meant to be used for this kind of game, like how the "free play" open world stuff is actually matchmade with a small number of players and not done with seamless phasing like The Division and Destiny).

It's depressing because what's good is very good, but what's bad is so, so goddamn bad. It'd be one thing if the whole game was garbage from top to bottom, but it really isn't, and that makes its failures all the more disappointing.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i beat hollow knight after being at the end of the game for months and months and just not wanting to deal with the watcher knights lol. still an excellent game tho and i'm v excited for the hornet sequel

fourth game beaten in 2019? losing count already. third game was fire emblem conquest but that wasn't a terribly fulfilling achievement

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Really Pants posted:

pizza is bad

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Harrow posted:

There really is a lot about Anthem that is legitimately excellent, and just about all of it is found in the combat system (especially the ability, gear, and class design). It's just that everything else about the game is a total mess, and sometimes in ways that don't seem all that fixable (like, things where it's clear this engine wasn't meant to be used for this kind of game, like how the "free play" open world stuff is actually matchmade with a small number of players and not done with seamless phasing like The Division and Destiny).

It's depressing because what's good is very good, but what's bad is so, so goddamn bad. It'd be one thing if the whole game was garbage from top to bottom, but it really isn't, and that makes its failures all the more disappointing.

this sounds a lot like how myself and others would say "the gunplay in Destiny feels great in spite of so much other bullshit" which makes me wish games like that had just been given a single player campaign with more focus like DOOM 2016

The demo was odd because poo poo was so dark I legit never got a good look at the enemies who were firing at me. They were just shapes firing off lazers.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

nobody really needs water

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

:eyepop:

http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/thread/10364/beachboy

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

this sounds a lot like how myself and others would say "the gunplay in Destiny feels great in spite of so much other bullshit" which makes me wish games like that had just been given a single player campaign with more focus like DOOM 2016

The demo was odd because poo poo was so dark I legit never got a good look at the enemies who were firing at me. They were just shapes firing off lazers.

One thing that stands out to me is just how improved the release version is over the demo. They really weren't bullshitting when they said they improved performance and massively improved the mouse/keyboard controls. It's just a shame that like the whole basic structure of the game does everything it can to stand in the way of fun.

I think the Destiny 1 comparison is appropriate. The issues are different and maybe more immediately apparent but it's probably around the same level of "good god why is this game like this" whenever you're not actively in combat.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Really Pants posted:

pizza is bad

*puts you on the ignore list*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Harrow posted:

You only met with other people in The Division when you entered a hub, wasn't it? I can't recall meeting players in the city but it has been a while.