Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Oxxidation posted:

ardyn is a great villain but he's also had more screentime than any other side character and i'm really not interested in getting the fine details of his backstory when the general summary worked well enough

i would have preferred aranea, especially because her episode would've taken place when all hell broke loose in the empire

Pretty sure the only reason we're getting Ardyn is that it was already being worked on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I told my IRL friends that still care about Final Fantasy that there is a new DLC for FF15 and they thought I made a mistake. "You mean Kingdom Hearts right? Not the game they released in 2016? Who would do that"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Onmi posted:

Pretty sure the only reason we're getting Ardyn is that it was already being worked on.
They did a survey to determine the order they worked on the final episodes and people chose wrong.

Hope it's a neat story dump at least.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I for one am glad people chose to see the story of the cool interesting and pitiable main antagonist over this threads boring waifu.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I for one am glad people chose to see the story of the cool interesting and pitiable main antagonist over this threads boring waifu.

All Dragoons are cool.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
My favorite dragoon is Ricard, a guy who tries to move in on his dead friend's family, even asking the son to call him "Daddy". Then he dies because FF2.

Then two games later we have Kain lusting over his best friend's girlfriend. And then Cid Highwind's abusive relationship.

The moral is never get in a relationship with a Dragoon.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

you said that last time and it’s still wrong

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mega64 posted:

My favorite dragoon is Ricard, a guy who tries to move in on his dead friend's family, even asking the son to call him "Daddy". Then he dies because FF2.

Then two games later we have Kain lusting over his best friend's girlfriend. And then Cid Highwind's abusive relationship.

The moral is never get in a relationship with a Dragoon.

Then in FFIX Freya and Fratley have the most tragic and forgotten romance for literally the entire game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is all the FFXV DLC meant to be played post-game, or are there instances where it would make more sense to play it within the storyline?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

All Dragoons are cool.

There's almost never never been a cool dragoon. The first was some rando that got eaten by a snake, then kain the eternally jealous, Freya the character who only appears in half the story, Kihimari and then Estinien.

Fang is really the only one out here being not a terminal loser and that's mostly coasting on big lesbian energy.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 17, 2019

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
its not kains fault, he got mind-controlled like 10 times

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I kind of hate the Ardyn DLC already because the prologue lays the blame for his plight on his rear end in a top hat brother, which turns it from a story of arbitrary cosmic injustice to something far more prosaic

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Pretty hosed up to say that about Lightning

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

exquisite tea posted:

Is all the FFXV DLC meant to be played post-game, or are there instances where it would make more sense to play it within the storyline?
Episode Gladiolus and Prompto definitely should be played at the points in the story that pretty much do everything but scream INSERT DLC DISC NOW.

Episode Ignus is weird because it covers some of what happens in Altissia but gives you a story choice that branches lategame plot and gives you an alternate ending. Arguably a nicer ending for everyone involved, too.

When you clear a DLC pack, some items get transferred over to your main game save so that's not a worry or anything.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I told my IRL friends that still care about Final Fantasy that there is a new DLC for FF15 and they thought I made a mistake. "You mean Kingdom Hearts right? Not the game they released in 2016? Who would do that"
You need better friends. I bet they won't even shout "A New Recipe!" when you're out looking at good food. :nono:

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 17, 2019

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Don't Mog and Edgar count as Dragoons?

I like Jump so everything else is irrelevant anyway.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FilthyImp posted:

Episode Gladiolus and Prompto definitely should be played at the points in the story that pretty much do everything but scream INSERT DLC DISC NOW.

Episode Ignus is weird because it covers some of what happens in Altissia but gives you a story choice that branches lategame plot and gives you an alternate ending. Arguably a nicer ending for everyone involved, too.

When you clear a DLC pack, some items get transferred over to your main game save so that's not a worry or anything.

Okay so even (correctly) assuming I am a huge idiot, I can count on the DLC episodes being telegraphed well by the plot? Like Prompto will look wistfully to the clouds and say "that sure reminds me of that other 4-6 hours of my life when..."

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Prompto and Gladio both straight-up leave the party for a while so it's pretty obvious for them

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Oxxidation posted:

I kind of hate the Ardyn DLC already because the prologue lays the blame for his plight on his rear end in a top hat brother, which turns it from a story of arbitrary cosmic injustice to something far more prosaic
I think they try to make it out that its still slightly cosmically injust because the crystal could have intervened when Ardyn touched it but instead he stumbles away knowing that the crystal is officially off his side now.

exquisite tea posted:

Okay so even (correctly) assuming I am a huge idiot, I can count on the DLC episodes being telegraphed well by the plot? Like Prompto will look wistfully to the clouds and say "that sure reminds me of that other 4-6 hours of my life when..."
Gladio basically says hey guys I gotta go do some DLC now see you soon and Prompto disappears for a while, coming back like man you'll never guess what I learned during DLC.

Ignis is telegraphed similarly to Prompto partway through the game but like others mentioned his DLC gets a little weird if you haven't been to the end of the game once.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

zedprime posted:

I think they try to make it out that its still slightly cosmically injust because the crystal could have intervened when Ardyn touched it but instead he stumbles away knowing that the crystal is officially off his side now.
I'm guessing it'll be something like Ardyn should have used Crystalpower to just blast away the scourge, but his compassion caused him to take in the scourge so he could purge it in crystalland and then the gods were like "uh, what the gently caress dude ya gross". Or maybe it genuinely taints him and MORE POWAH happens.

Otherwise it's just hosed.
Was the scourge something that happened from the celestial war? The late game makes it seem entirely biological and weird.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

Pretty hosed up to say that about Lightning

How dare any of us think we're good enough for lightning. Corn you know better.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Was the scourge something that happened from the celestial war? The late game makes it seem entirely biological and weird.

the scourge was started in the distant past by Ifrit out of his anger for a now-derelict human empire that abandoned the gods, ardyn and the nifs just cranked it up into high gear

it does have a biological basis but that's just typical "intersection of magic and science" stuff

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If I remember correctly it actually came out of the gigantic meteor that Ifrit hurled down and Titan caught, but I don't recall where I heard that or if it's substantiated in the game.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That's some loving Lavos/JenOva poo poo if true.

I really can't overstate how much I love that there's all this environmental storytelling that ties into the Astral War. When you first get out into the world it's all pretty then you have these impossible bits of landscape that just beg a story to be told about them.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Gologle posted:

If I remember correctly it actually came out of the gigantic meteor that Ifrit hurled down and Titan caught, but I don't recall where I heard that or if it's substantiated in the game.
I forget all where but if its not right we have the same shared delusion. Someone (Ifit is where I don't actually know who or what) summoned a meteor to destroy the world but Titan caught it except oops not crisis averted because it was filthy with god-malaria.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Yeah 15 does a pretty good job of trying to tie as many FF references together as possible.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Does Gilgamesh count as a cool Dragoon?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The only cool Dragoon is one hit with Blizzaga.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Is there any loving reason to have a THIEF in the party in Final Fantasy because so far (everyone at 10-11 level) it just seems like I'm crippling my party having FTWB as the set-up)?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

mandatory lesbian posted:

its not kains fault, he got mind-controlled like 10 times

No, but it's totally his fault that he spent 17 years on a mountain like a hobo and got beat up by his own 'Base desires' who He only defeated when he admitted, right in front of Rosa. "Okay, yeah, I wanna gently caress Rosa." He doesn't actually get over wanting to gently caress Rosa, he just becomes open about his desire to bang Cecil's wife.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Onmi posted:

No, but it's totally his fault that he spent 17 years on a mountain like a hobo and got beat up by his own 'Base desires' who He only defeated when he admitted, right in front of Rosa. "Okay, yeah, I wanna gently caress Rosa." He doesn't actually get over wanting to gently caress Rosa, he just becomes open about his desire to bang Cecil's wife.

I mean he clearly wants to bang Cecil as well. Kain just crying to be the third.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Onmi posted:

It works out in the end though because he ends up the new captain of the Red Wings or something and, more importantly, learns Blink and Haste.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I mean he clearly wants to bang Cecil as well. Kain just crying to be the third.

No, he wants to kill Cecil, 'Dark Kain' and gently caress I still can't believe they decided to actually make 'Dark Kain' a thing, blatantly makes that clear. he's ORGASMIC over the concept of "Kill Cecil, gently caress Rosa."

Mega64 posted:

It works out in the end though because he ends up the new captain of the Red Wings or something and, more importantly, learns Blink and Haste.

He also basically becomes Ceodore's dad.

I mean Ceodore is barely in the story of the game so it doesn't matter, but still.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Onmi posted:

He also basically becomes Ceodore's dad.

I mean Ceodore is barely in the story of the game so it doesn't matter, but still.

It's amazing how loving little Cecil gives a poo poo about his son.

The way the entire story is written, "Ceodore is Kain's child" would make perfect loving sense if not for Ceodore being confirmed quarter-moon child.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Mega64 posted:

It's amazing how loving little Cecil gives a poo poo about his son.

The way the entire story is written, "Ceodore is Kain's child" would make perfect loving sense if not for Ceodore being confirmed quarter-moon child.

To be fair, Cecil gives exactly as much of a poo poo about Ceodore as the story does.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is there any loving reason to have a THIEF in the party in Final Fantasy because so far (everyone at 10-11 level) it just seems like I'm crippling my party having FTWB as the set-up)?

Thief is actually completely useless, they're physical attackers but do less damage and have less survivability than fighters and black belts. They're about as good at fighting as a Red Mage but without the ability to do magic.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

Thief is actually completely useless, they're physical attackers but do less damage and have less survivability than fighters and black belts. They're about as good at fighting as a Red Mage but without the ability to do magic.

Well gently caress :( About five levels ago I noticed Pepu (my THIEF) couldn't hit loving poo poo and when he did hit, he didn't do much damage. He can't even steal anything! Is there any reason not to go Fighter Fighter White Black?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well gently caress :( About five levels ago I noticed Pepu (my THIEF) couldn't hit loving poo poo and when he did hit, he didn't do much damage. He can't even steal anything! Is there any reason not to go Fighter Fighter White Black?

well ninja gets really weak black magic so thats a plus (not really, yeah fighter fighter is just better in most ways)

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I mean I like to have a red mage or a black belt over just 2 fighters but that's mostly for variety rather than actual optimization, fighters are really good.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

cock hero flux posted:

They hit harder than red mages later on and Ninjas get access to FAST.

Really though there's no reason to use them unless you want to be able to run from battles more consistently. Knight hits harder, Redmage makes up for weaker melee with useful magic, and black belt is just king of dps mountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
In vanilla FF1, THIEF and NINJA both suck. But they're much better in Dawn of Souls and later remakes since they have unique equipment that puts them on par with being a Fighter/Knight that uses low level black magic.

cock hero flux posted:

I mean I like to have a red mage or a black belt over just 2 fighters but that's mostly for variety rather than actual optimization, fighters are really good.

I don't like to have more than one Fighter becuase you don't get more than one XCAL. But if we're talking straight optimization, even though Black Belt starts out poo poo, they're hands down the best in the NES version because they're the only class that can one-shot the final boss.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 17, 2019