Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Speaking of spending your own money, myself and three other guys recently had to eat (like, literally, it came out of our M&IE money) about $150 in taxes and fees on a travel claim because our admin dept thought it would be a great idea to book rooms using Expedia rather than directly with the hotel. :downsbravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
The NCF is it's own little world that's forgotten about until an XO goes for a drunk naked woods walk

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news but addressin problems costs money and requires you to be confrontational and that requires a spine and may endanger your career.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

M_Gargantua posted:

I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news but addressin problems costs money and requires you to be confrontational and that requires a spine and may endanger your career.

Or, like my father, when he got passed over on his first O-6 board, used his position at PERS-202 to end the practice whereby Admirals could collect sea pay for spending a few hours on a ship at sea, as well as putting needless strain on aircraft to get them out there. Evidently was costing the Navy ~$120m *per year*.

He didn't get selected his second or third time up, either. ~I wonder why~. >.>

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Sounds like he won.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Or, like my father, when he got passed over on his first O-6 board, used his position at PERS-202 to end the practice whereby Admirals could collect sea pay for spending a few hours on a ship at sea, as well as putting needless strain on aircraft to get them out there. Evidently was costing the Navy ~$120m *per year*.

He didn't get selected his second or third time up, either. ~I wonder why~. >.>

I aspire to be an officer of the quality of your dad. :cheers:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Well, last time he pissed the Coast Guard off during his rescue scene by being a douchebag who wouldn't follow directions (and needlessly imperiled himself) - now it seems he's decided to piss off an entire aircraft carrier's in-port complement: https://theaviationgeekclub.com/tom...sequel-filming/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 17, 2019

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Turning of the COs hot water heater takes 15 seconds and a three week casrep to “repair”

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
RE: Readiness chat. I think it's important to understand that a lot of what's patently screwed up here has to do with how quickly the issues get up to the flag level. Something that really helped me wrap my brain around the convolutions was learning (via reading and staff work) that rank dynamics almost re-set themselves at the flag level. A 1-star isn't a super-ultra captain, they're a junior admiral. Second, power is not distributed at all equally among admirals. It's centralized at program offices and other high profile money-handling billets. So, your 1-star at NECC may have comparably little power to get even vital equipment, especially since NECC's star is falling. Just like the 1-star at Fallon can't get a door that makes sense because he has little control over the pot of money it actually comes from.

As for personnel, it's important to remember that people cost a lot. In 2005, personnel represented 60% of the Navy's annual budget. It's much easier to show how chopping a carrier, a platform, a smallboy or whatever would hurt the service than personnel reductions - Fleet Forces can just point to a gapped presence in the Gulf, or wherever, to justify a 313 ship Navy. They can't quantify degraded effectiveness as easily. So, the Navy has consistently made the choice to pursue a ship-numbers based budget argument for most of the last 25 years, most prominently trading 10s of thousands of sailors for keeping battle force ship construction on track when forced to after Iraq kicked off.

It sucks for us at the bottom. Do more, more often, with less. What pisses me off is that these are all choices the Navy has made: "heel-toe" constant deployments are a choice the Navy has used to justify its budget share since 1990, they haven't always been Combat Command strict requirements. It had several "off-ramps" from SECDEFs, SECNAVs and up to restructure the way the service runs that it chose not to take because line officer promotion has been based around sea tours since the 1950s, and the flags have no incentive to change the system they succeeded in. Maybe that's cynical, but it's how I see it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Red Crown posted:

Just like the 1-star at Fallon can't get a door that makes sense because he has little control over the pot of money it actually comes from.

This is true, but he absolutely could've fixed that particular problem. The range being double-digit millions behind in repairs and upgrades? Yeah that's beyond his scope.

Big Navy in particular doesn't give a gently caress about Fallon anyway. The guy that controls range money for the western half of the country is a former Yuma dude, so guess where like 60% of the regional budget goes despite being a smaller/less used range than most of the others. Aircraft maintenance rates for Fallon are better than they were, but still poo poo. We lost two jets in the three years I was there. Fortunately no pilots. They refused to even build a hangar that would meet security requirements for the F-35...or plus up the cops/security to man the loving ECPs. The AF brings its own security when it lands jets there, because the airfield is so far below standards that no waivers even exist in the AF...but the Navy waives it all as the standard. Hell, NAWDC didn't even HAVE an admiral for about a year. That year set them back at least five because he couldn't win ANY fights. Then he pinned on and was gone in about two months. His replacement made some quick changes for the better, but from talking to people up there now it sounds like he's basically given up.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Man the current tattoo policy may be a bit too lenient. I just saw a chief on the Carl Vincent with a chiefs anchor tattooed right above his ear.

Also maybe you shouldn’t get rank tattooed on until you retire....

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
tattoos above the ear are in violation of uniform policy

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LingcodKilla posted:

Man the current tattoo policy may be a bit too lenient. I just saw a chief on the Carl Vincent with a chiefs anchor tattooed right above his ear.

Are you sure you're not already senior enlisted?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

LingcodKilla posted:

he knows next chance he gets he's out, like everyone should be

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Are you sure you're not already senior enlisted?

Getting a fist size tattoo on the side of your head is a cool and good thing to do. Nobody will ever judge you for it.

Happy?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LingcodKilla posted:

Getting a fist size tattoo on the side of your head is a cool and good thing to do. Nobody will ever judge you for it.

Happy?

I won't be happy until the enlisted ranks look like the warboys.

maybe not even then

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I won't be happy until the enlisted ranks look like the warboys.

maybe not even then

Remember: use silver food coloring, not actual silver paint.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

https://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Edible-Silver-Glitter-Spray/dp/B07843LJF5/

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/1098715212822335488

Goodbye snake, welcome back stars

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

So peace in our time?

lol

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Good.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Looks like we're all gonna have to buy new loving patches for our NWUs.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Which one is that, since the Navy has flip flopped between the stars and the striped snake repeatedly?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Not a fan of the snek since it’s been rather co-opted by weirdos.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

ManMythLegend posted:

Looks like we're all gonna have to buy new loving patches for our NWUs.

I still have to buy the new loving NWUs first.

I will admit that the standard issue flag patch I got in API is starting to get a little ratty. I should probably replace it at some point.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
So I just read the actual NAVADMIN and it doesn't affect the dumb NWU patch.

(For now...)

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Wait, what? They'd changed the jack (at some time over the last 25 years)?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Madurai posted:

Sept 11 2002 is when it went to the snek

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Madurai posted:

I think it was immediately post-9/11 but it was high time to go back given that the snake flag has become popular among the sort of people who would really prefer to fly a swastika but don't think they can get away with it

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Been a little while since a student went above and beyond here in good old Great Lakes.

Today two male students where getting all spun up on the smoke deck over the smacking and grabbing of covers. Apparently this was a continuation of a beef that had started earlier in the barracks (we are on nights schedule).

Another (female) student who was a schoolhouse MA stepped into tell them to knock that poo poo off, and one of the dudes turned around, called her a bitch and punched her in the face in front of like a dozen other students.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Been a little while since a student went above and beyond here in good old Great Lakes.

Today two male students where getting all spun up on the smoke deck over the smacking and grabbing of covers. Apparently this was a continuation of a beef that had started earlier in the barracks (we are on nights schedule).

Another (female) student who was a schoolhouse MA stepped into tell them to knock that poo poo off, and one of the dudes turned around, called her a bitch and punched her in the face in front of like a dozen other students.

But were their sidearms in pieces?

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
We dont trust students with their own free time, they certainly don't get trusted with weapons. Only responsible, seasoned instructors like me, etc, etc...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Did she roll with it and get back in the fight?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
If only there had been a good guy with a (fully assembled) gun ready to step in.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
code:
   __,_____   In this schoolhouse
  / __.==--"  we recognize the
 /#(-'        need for well
 `-'          maintained sidearms

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I'm in Yokosuka for the next month or so. If anyone wants to meet, hit me up in PM and we can work something out.

Highlights so far: lost luggage!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
RIP

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/909349?src=soc_fb_190225_mscpedt_news_pharm_ibuprofen&faf=1

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Pour your pills out boys.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The HM community will never be the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

New uniforms revealed! Fashionable and FREE!