Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Bored As gently caress posted:

This is always a thing. People latch on to whatever confirms they're already preconceived notions or biases. Whenever a school shooting happens, liberals call for gun control. They call for gun control even though the investigation hasn't even begun. Most of the time it turns out that the guy either had the guns legally and passed background checks, or, he had the guns illegally. Or, because of some gently caress ups by either the FBI /NICS, or because the local PD or Sheriff's Department or the state didn't send the required information to NICS, allowing the bastard to pass a background check. Or because a tip about the person being suspicious or dangerous wasn't followed up by PD.

Conservatives on the other hand latch onto any story that fits their view that Muslim terrorists are overtaking the country. Look at how they reacted when the San Bernardino terror attack happened. Complete overreactions, calls for Muslim bands, etc etc.

When people of color are hurt or killed in officer involved shootings, BLM and many in the left immediately come out condemning the police. Conservatives and MAGA chuds come out and say thinly veiled or not even veiled racist poo poo like "thug deserved it." All before the investigation has even begun, before body cam footage is out. Most of the time body cam footage shows it was a justified and legal use of deadly force. Liberals and BLM still say it's bullshit. Sometimes body cam footage and/or other evidence shows it was straight up murder. Conservatives are silent.

People are always biased and they will immediately cite anything that confirms their biases, even before all the facts are in, and often even after the facts are in.

People are lovely.

gently caress the police

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Legal != Justified.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
The noose and bleach by themselves make me skeptical about the story. It's entirely possible he got jumped by a couple of chuds, but I've never heard of skinheads or alt-right Nazis using nooses or bleach in their attacks. They virtually always give a beat down with kicking and punching, or blunt objects like bats.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wow, you cracked the case again Columbo! Everyone knows it's impossible for nazis to use different weapons.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
why a historically oppressed group getting the benefit of the doubt and another historically oppressive group not getting the benefit of the doubt are wrong by Bret Stephens

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Proud Christian Mom posted:

why a historically oppressed group getting the benefit of the doubt and another historically oppressive group not getting the benefit of the doubt are wrong by Bret Stephens

How to frame internet arguments as false dichotomies by proud christian mom.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Fister Roboto posted:

Wow, you cracked the case again Columbo! Everyone knows it's impossible for nazis to use different weapons.

I'm not saying it didn't happen the way he said, but the fact that the police arrested, then released the two suspects, plus the information coming from the news sources, makes me skeptical.

I'll tell you what, I'll put my money where my mouth is. If it turns out that Smollett was the victim of a random hate crime, I will donate $25 to Disabled Veterans of America. I'll even :toxx: for it.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Satan will reward your generosity and let you have his unthorned cock shoved down your gullet instead.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Hot take: this is one of those cases where simply waiting works.

It’s not like if we don’t decide to place our bets on this, you’ll miss election day or the polar ice caps will melt sooner.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Professor Bling posted:

lol at this ignorance and acting like cops investigating themselves are gonna go "yep, he murdered that unarmed dude" instead of circling the wagons every goddamned time they can

also gently caress you for that lukewarm take you poo poo

Not a good reply.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
:gas:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Pull up thread! Pull up!!

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

Hot take: this is one of those cases where simply waiting works.

It’s not like if we don’t decide to place our bets on this, you’ll miss election day or the polar ice caps will melt sooner.

Hotter take: It should be possible to discuss an unfolding event based on what we know so far without having to make everything about choosing sides.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
https://apnews.com/33f8229a76c646299bfedad5a861358f

Trump is getting ready to veto a Congressional disapproval of his 'emergency'.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jarmak posted:

Hotter take: It should be possible to discuss an unfolding event based on what we know so far without having to make everything about choosing sides.

Right, but some people in America think a useful “conversation” is responding to all reports of hate crimes, sexual assault, DV, etc with “Oh, yeah no proof innocent until proven guilty!”

And that’s not super useful nor unmotivated.

Unrelated, and true

https://twitter.com/shvartacus/status/1096871228390789120?s=21

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 17, 2019

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

BigDave posted:

the decorum!!!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

BigDave posted:

The most prominently disturbing thing here is how Miller’s hairline continues to defy a consistent position between any given day.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

mlmp08 posted:

Right, but some people in America think a useful “conversation” is responding to all reports of hate crimes, sexual assault, DV, etc with “Oh, yeah no proof innocent until proven guilty!”

And that’s not super useful nor unmotivated.

But who in this thread is doing that? It seems to me that a lot of people in here have pointed out that this particular case seems suspicious. I know I personally have pointed out that I felt it was suspicious, but I also said that that in no way reflects on other crimes like this. I know other people in here of also said that they believe that hate crimes happen far too frequently against minorities in this country. None of us are arguing that that isn't the case. We merely pointed out that this one particular instant seems suspicious.

It seems really odd to me that your of drawing upon the rest of America as an example of why you need to be attacking the people in this very forum who agree with you 9 times out of 10. Is this just another example of the left eating its own because they are the exact same brand of left that you are?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The most prominently disturbing thing here is how Miller’s hairline continues to defy a consistent position between any given day.

Must be using that Ronco Hair-In-A-Can stuff.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chichevache posted:

[words]

It seems really odd to me that your of drawing upon the rest of America as an example of why you need to be attacking the people in this very forum who agree with you 9 times out of 10. Is this just another example of the left eating its own because they are the exact same brand of left that you are?

That was a long walk to...what? complain about the left from the center?

Aside from a reported attack like “9 purple unicorns attacked me,” defaulting to trying to pick apart ways the alleged victim might be a liar from the sidelines is not very healthy. (I’ll give it a huge pass in a realm like international politics/war where disinformation is weaponized daily). Someone reading this thread now knows that they’d best keep victimization to themselves unless the attacker uses an MO that GiP deems “normal.”

Immediately interrogating a reported victimization from the sidelines, even if it turns out to be a false report very rarely, is one way that actual victims are silenced before they can even speak. See: the history of racial animus amd sexual violence.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

McNally posted:

I hate you all.

Push the button, Frank.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Don’t worry they buried that report in a grave deep enough to hold back Ann Coulter. Can’t debase their staunchest voters.

Made the faintest of blips on the news on the Internet (seriously, it was a "there and then it was gone" thing) and I've got no clue if it even got mentioned on MSM

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

What if we put deadbeat trains on a treadmill prison?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
GA lawmaker delays cases against his clients for up to several years citing court schedule conflicts with his lawmaking duties. In one case it means a serial DV offender has had the case delayed four years using a $20K retainer.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1096965807886733312?s=21

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

EBB posted:

Push the button, Frank.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

What exactly is preventing the judge in those cases from saying "gently caress you, find a different lawyer"?

Other than kickbacks to the judge obv

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

MRC48B posted:

What exactly is preventing the judge in those cases from saying "gently caress you, find a different lawyer"?

Other than kickbacks to the judge obv

A 1905 state law.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Sorry, didn't read fast enough. :justpost:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

mlmp08 posted:

GA lawmaker delays cases against his clients for up to several years citing court schedule conflicts with his lawmaking duties. In one case it means a serial DV offender has had the case delayed four years using a $20K retainer.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1096965807886733312?s=21

Feature, not bug

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mlmp08 posted:

That is the exact opposite of this thread.

mlmp08 posted:

That was a long walk to...what? complain about the left from the center?

Aside from a reported attack like “9 purple unicorns attacked me,” defaulting to trying to pick apart ways the alleged victim might be a liar from the sidelines is not very healthy. (I’ll give it a huge pass in a realm like international politics/war where disinformation is weaponized daily). Someone reading this thread now knows that they’d best keep victimization to themselves unless the attacker uses an MO that GiP deems “normal.”

Immediately interrogating a reported victimization from the sidelines, even if it turns out to be a false report very rarely, is one way that actual victims are silenced before they can even speak. See: the history of racial animus amd sexual violence.

This used to be a discussion thread. That particular story has been weird from the start, but in this very thread we have people saying that it's better to just not discuss things until we know all the facts. gently caress that.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 17, 2019

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
https://twitter.com/PatrickKellihe2/status/1097252429089824768

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

im all in on warren FYI

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Godholio posted:

That is the exact opposite of this thread.

This used to be a discussion thread. That particular story has been weird from the start, but in this very thread we have people saying that it's better to just not discuss things until we know all the facts. gently caress that.

If you want a discussion, start a discussion. Just saying "hmm sounds fishy" isn't a discussion, it's an opinion.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

im all in on warren FYI

:same:

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

If you want a discussion, start a discussion. Just saying "hmm sounds fishy" isn't a discussion, it's an opinion.

On planet earth giving an opinion is a very common way of starting a discussion.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I have this song in my head now

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Soulex posted:

I have this song in my head now

Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I usually hate those comparison graphics because they're usually some super-niche nerd poo poo that doesn't translate to a broader audience, but the one with "Proudest Moment?" with both of them having pictures of young Bernie getting hauled off by the cops made me laugh.