Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

There's not much I can do

multi. factor. authentication.

On all banking accounts. And any other account the supports it.

It's not a perfect solution, especially with some implementations, but it's a start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
drat I thought I had it on but apparently not

mainly I mean trying to find out who this person was

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

We’re they buying Duke merch?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

We’re they buying Duke merch?

I literally have no idea, there's no record of it since I declined

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Make sure you use a password manager as well, and use unique passwords for every different site.

Strongly consider using a hardware key or Google Authenticator where possible; criminals can pretty easily reroute your phone number to capture the 2FA texts if they know what it's going to be and they care enough to target you.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I hate PayPal and avoid it; I used to make an account anytime something absolutely required it, then delete it afterward, but they stopped letting me do that (they won't even let me create a new account now). Definitely don't link it to your credit union/bank account; at worst, link it to your credit card.

It's been pretty easy to get by without it, honestly. The one time I've needed it in the past year or two, I just asked my roommate to get it for me and paid him back (and even that was just for pre-ordering a game they didn't have on Steam).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

I hate PayPal and avoid it; I used to make an account anytime something absolutely required it, then delete it afterward, but they stopped letting me do that (they won't even let me create a new account now). Definitely don't link it to your credit union/bank account; at worst, link it to your credit card.

It's been pretty easy to get by without it, honestly. The one time I've needed it in the past year or two, I just asked my roommate to get it for me and paid him back (and even that was just for pre-ordering a game they didn't have on Steam).

I have one linked to a checking account that's isolated from the rest of my finances; no overdraft protection and I transfer money into it to make purchases as I go. Having a meat puppet to do your dirty work is nice when you have the option but that's just shifting the threat to your friend.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
23 years old, just blew 250k, need help figuring out where to go from here.

I started bolding the highlights but it got silly. Sucks about the brain tumour, but I guess the family paid for that too if he doesn't have any debt.

quote:

Hi all, so let me lay out my current situation. I graduated from high school back in 2014 and immediately started going to college. Fortunately my family paid for it. Unfortunately I started feeling very ill during this time and after a year and a half I flunked out. At this point I thought it was entirely my fault, and I was just not college material. I was so ashamed of myself that I lied to my family and told them I had dropped out of college of my own accord to start a business. At this point I felt so ill all the time (despite doctors telling me I was fine) that I didn’t think I could hold down a 9 to 5 job so I decided to try and start my own business making video games. I received a 15k investment from my father and an additional 35k from my grandfather. Over the next year, 2016, i blew through a significant chunk of that trying to make a game. I ended up getting scammed by a programmer who did no work and just took the money and ran, leaving me with just art assets and no prototype. At the end of 2016 I gathered my remaining resources together and decided to try making another, smaller scale game.

Things progressed well until April of 2017, when I finally found out why I had felt so bad for so long. I was rushed to the ER for emergency brain surgery. For the next four months I was in agony until a second brain surgery and chemo in August. At this point I was out of money and my second game was still in the very early prototype stages. I struggled along by selling off my coin collection for a few months until finally, in January of 2018 work ceased. At this point I decided to liquidate my entire video game collection, which I had built up during my teenage years using inheritance money from my mother, who had passed in 2010. In total I got about 50k from this and decided to give my business one last shot.

This time I decided to make a comic book. I invested 5k and got scammed, got the money back, started another comic project and completed it last November. I put it up on Kickstarter and it failed. My first comic project, which was partially complete, is now nearing completion as well, albeit waaay overbudget. I wound up having to spend about 15k to get it done. Now then, I just got married but my wife won’t be moving here for about a year. My family has also offered to pay for my college should I decide to go back. I’m living on my own at my grandfather’s old house, which is currently in a trust. I pay the phone and internet bills which is about 250 per month. Beyond that I spend about 150-200 per month on food. My grandfather sends me 600 dollars per month for those things. It’s not enough to live on so I’ve been living off of my inheritance money which is now gone. So, to sum up I spent about 100k on trying to start a business and 150k on living expenses over the past 3 years. Now I’m out of money, 23, and I’ve never had a job before. I plan on taking advantage of my family’s offer to return to college but I am concerned about the timeframe. It will take me at least 3 years to get my degree, I’ll be 27 by then, and right around that time is when my wife wants to start having kids. I’ve got a car that’s paid off, no debt, and a house to live in. I have two comic books that are complete but I don’t have the resources to market or print them. I want to get a college degree that will help me eventually reach 7 figure income and allow me to build my own sustainable business. In the meantime however, I need to figure out a way to make money to support my wife and any future business endeavors after college. I would ideally like to have at least 100k in savings by the time I graduate college.

Edit: I didn't read the comments!

quote:

I’d like to build up to making 7 figures over the next 20 years preferably by making entertainment products like video games and comic books primarily because I think I understand the market for them.

quote:

To be fair, my family has made 7 figures before, so I know I can do it, I just don’t know how. I think you’re right though, I should definitely get a job to gain some experience in that regard.

quote:

My point was, if they can do it, so can I. I have a lot more resources at my disposal than they did and they made it even still. They did it through farming and ranching though, which I think would be next to impossible nowadays

quote:

Ultimately if I can’t make at least 40 million by 45 it’s due to my own laziness and ignorance.

uvar fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 17, 2019

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I mean I fee for the cancer poo poo but his timeframes are just hilarious. He wants to go from zero income to millionaire in like five years

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
The overconfidence of youth is so shiny and brittle.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean I fee for the cancer poo poo but his timeframes are just hilarious. He wants to go from zero income to millionaire in like five years

Hey man, Zuckerberg did it!

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in three generations.

I do feel bad for the guy (mother apparently died young and then he got stuck with some sort of brain cancer) but someone in the family needs to sit down and have a serious talk with him about his life direction before he blows through whatever family fortune remains getting scammed on comic books.

Also I would love to hear more about the wife of the rich video game/comic book loving college dropout with no job. How did they meet? Where is she coming from? Does she in fact exist?

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

He could have taken that 15k and made an IRA and he would have come out ahead.

Also how the gently caress does making a comic cost so loving much? Was he just paying people to do it for him? Is he the ☆IDEA MAN☆?

Action-Bastard fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 17, 2019

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I’ll guarantee he hired actual artists to make his 100% OC do not copy fanfic comic. Him talking about getting scammed etc reads like the deviant art thread.

also note that his wife is “moving out to him” next year. Again, guarantee it’s some internet relationship thing. the whole thing reads as sad, shiftless need with no real marketable skills to me.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I know I can make seven figgies because my ancestors did. I just don't know how to.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

It sounds like the brain tumor never left him~~

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Cacafuego posted:

It sounds like the brain tumor never left him~~

The surgery was unnecessary. He should have just paid the tumor to draw the first issue and it would have disappeared.

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 17, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's entirely reasonable as this kid has family connections. He somehow thinks his family did this by being just that much smarter or hard working, when in reality it was grandpaw/great grandpaw or whoever that did something smart/lucky (bought the right land at the right price) or shady and it's been ALL ABOARD since then. All he needs to do is learn to stay on the loving gravy train rather than trying to make comic books and poo poo.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
To be fair, the guy is literally brain damaged, suffered severed trauma via the surgery and recovery AND his mother died while he was a child.

He needs help.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
Enjoy: https://rallyrd.com

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Considering where we are, who wants to set up an app that lets people invest in rare firearms?

Skimming the SEC file I do like that they have several $300k+ cars, many somewhat cheaper cars, and then a 72% stake in a "1990 Ford Mustang 7-Up Edition" that sold for $20k in 1990 and is now worth 14,500 or so, purchased from one of the members of their Advisory Board. Well, at least they're open about it. (Another car was previously owned by Jerry Seinfeld, and they mention it might be worth less if he gets bad PR.)

Ehhh.... Finite physical items, and they've put thought about the legal stuff. And it's probably easier than selling the actual cars if you want to get your money out again. Still a lot that could go wrong, but not blockchain-dumb.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Murgos posted:

To be fair, the guy is literally brain damaged, suffered severed trauma via the surgery and recovery AND his mother died while he was a child.

He needs help.

He had :siren:50 large:siren: worth of videogames.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

uvar posted:

Still a lot that could go wrong, but not blockchain-dumb.

It's a bad time to be buying cars, especially for investment, everything is loving expensive right now (thanks YouTube). The only people that have won on car investing are those who purchased them a decade ago and already got their money out. For example: aircooled Porsche 911s were ~$15-30k depending on year. You can't touch one for less than $30k now with the top end reaching into the 70k+ area. Same with BMW M Cars, old E30 M3s were ~$10k a decade ago, now every single one has a price tag over $80k. poo poo is incredibly over valued right now.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

GamingHyena posted:

The surgery was unnecessary. He should have just paid the tumor to draw the first issue and it would have disappeared.

But now he has Entrepreneurial Experience, emphasis on neur(i)al.

Doc Hawkins posted:

This I don't get either. What the hell did he have that would be worth even $10k? Maybe he's not so bad if he managed to make people pay $50k for whatever he had.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Volmarias posted:

This I don't get either. What the hell did he have that would be worth even $10k? Maybe he's not so bad if he managed to make people pay $50k for whatever he had.

Old collectable retro games are worth a shitload. A copy of SMB1 just sold for over $100k.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
BRB, going to get my Steam library appraised.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Legally you don't own it, very bwm, only buy physical copies of games for pre-internet-connected consoles

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Krispy Wafer posted:

https://steamcalculator.com/

:c00lbert:

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Oh dear. I should not have checked that site. It's 5 figures.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

That thing isn't accurate, it uses the full retail price of every sale item or humble bundle you ever bought.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

Kid with a dead mom, a brain tumor and money.

I would have shut myself in my room with the Nintendo catalog too.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

BMan posted:

That thing isn't accurate, it uses the full retail price of every sale item or humble bundle you ever bought.

It’s an ROI calculator you say :haw:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

BMan posted:

there's other calculators including one that trolls your steam account for how much you've actually spent through the service

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

It's a bad time to be buying cars, especially for investment, everything is loving expensive right now (thanks YouTube). The only people that have won on car investing are those who purchased them a decade ago and already got their money out. For example: aircooled Porsche 911s were ~$15-30k depending on year. You can't touch one for less than $30k now with the top end reaching into the 70k+ area. Same with BMW M Cars, old E30 M3s were ~$10k a decade ago, now every single one has a price tag over $80k. poo poo is incredibly over valued right now.

I disagree. I feel it's quite easy to predict cars that will go up in value (not when, though!). You can observe a car rise in price way before rich people get told to buy it and jump on the bandwagon.

The part where it's not a sure-fire strategy is that you are going to have to keep the car somehow, maintain it, insure it and so on. It's an ongoing cost you'll have to pay for years or decades, which rather cuts into your return. If you're not a person who buys the car to drive and then sells it, or a person rich enough to already have a storage facility for cars, it just doesn't make sense as much as I would like it to.

Yes I desperately want to be that guy who keeps and sells cars but lol if I could afford that I wouldn't need to.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I disagree. I feel it's quite easy to predict cars that will go up in value (not when, though!). You can observe a car rise in price way before rich people get told to buy it and jump on the bandwagon.

The part where it's not a sure-fire strategy is that you are going to have to keep the car somehow, maintain it, insure it and so on. It's an ongoing cost you'll have to pay for years or decades, which rather cuts into your return. If you're not a person who buys the car to drive and then sells it, or a person rich enough to already have a storage facility for cars, it just doesn't make sense as much as I would like it to.

Yes I desperately want to be that guy who keeps and sells cars but lol if I could afford that I wouldn't need to.

Give me examples of cars you'd be looking at investing in.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Give me examples of cars you'd be looking at investing in.

My FIL told me that I should take super good care of my Volt because now that GM decided to stop making them it'll be worth something one day.

Nearly the same logic as making sure you take good care of a Pontiac G6.

He's BWM in so many ways I can't describe.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I disagree. I feel it's quite easy to predict cars that will go up in value (not when, though!).

There are a handful of cars that you can almost always make money on, but rely on getting an allocation. Which often involves being bad (or at least not great) with money. Porsche GT cars are on that list at the "low" end. P much any limited production Ferrari/Lamborghini/Konigsegg/etc works too.

This all depends on you basically not driving it much and having proper storage. Which doesn't sound like what one is supposed to do with cars like that. If I could afford that kind of thing I'd jut flog the poo poo out of it until my wallet cried on maintenance and repairs and it wasn't worth anything to sell.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

There are a handful of cars that you can almost always make money on, but rely on getting an allocation. Which often involves being bad (or at least not great) with money. Porsche GT cars are on that list at the "low" end. P much any limited production Ferrari/Lamborghini/Konigsegg/etc works too.

This all depends on you basically not driving it much and having proper storage. Which doesn't sound like what one is supposed to do with cars like that. If I could afford that kind of thing I'd jut flog the poo poo out of it until my wallet cried on maintenance and repairs and it wasn't worth anything to sell.

I get the impression that Porsche has caught on to this and it's becoming much harder. Browsing Rennlist is my guilty daily pleasure and it seems as if the window for making money on GT cars is closing very quickly, especially when you factor in registration, taxes, protective film, and the usual things people expect when buying a 200k car. There's a certain amount of schadenfreude when these people lose money. :getin:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

I get the impression that Porsche has caught on to this

It's not an impression, it's reality. PCNA will blacklist you for life if you sell you allocation before delivery or the car itself in less than 12 months from delivery.

It's not the cash grab it used to be before that, but it's still a way to barely drive an awesome car for a year and make money on it after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

What's hilarious is that while nobody wants watercooled 911s right now, they are soon going to be dying by the tons. The 996, 997 and I think even 991 have an engine issue where the penny pinchers at Porsche decided to gently caress with an engineering decision. The connecting rod is offset some small amount (1/2 to 1mm IIRC) from the centerline of the piston. This theoretically will cause less wear in the bores, the downside is that you need two different pistons for each side of the engine, this would cost money. So instead they just went with one piston. One would naturally think that if offsetting the rod in the piston in one direction reduces wear, that moving it in the other direction would actually cause wear, which it does. Thus, especially in cold environments, but given enough time in any environment, the piston will scuff the bores into oblivion. The only to way correct this problem is an entire engine rebuild, for about $15-20k, more than the cars are worth at this point.

Wait 20 years and the hated watercooled cars that got the expensive engine fix will be "collectible," both due to attrition and the fact that they are legitimately awesome cars.