Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

SardonicTyrant posted:

I had a course on ethics in college, and literally everyone still applied to Uber at the job fair, so.

Yep, I took a job as a warehouse golem directly after college, and it's been a slow evolution from there. eventually went back to school and now am a physical therapist assistant, weird road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Platystemon posted:

The next time someone suggests we need more engineers in government, remind them that Herbert Hoover was an engineer.

By that logic lawyers, state governors, and anyone in the movies/on TV should be disqualified.

Based on past history, I'd suggest looking for presidential candidates among the following occupations:

* surveyor
* planter
* general of the Army of the United Colonies
* postmaster
* journalist
* supreme commander of the Allied forces in Europe, U.S. Army chief of staff

and maybe peanut farmer.

vv Agreed, but not the point I was trying to make when I hit return too many times vv

thepopmonster fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 17, 2019

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

thepopmonster posted:

By that logic lawyers, state governors, and anyone in the movies/on TV should be disqualified.

Or, to put it another way, we should shun everyone who hasn't been one of these:

If there are no people in government then you can't have a corrupt official. Bring on the AI future and death.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

SardonicTyrant posted:

I had a course on ethics in college, and literally everyone still applied to Uber at the job fair, so.

Ethics: That thing you may or may not care about when retired, or during the accident investigation and/or Congressional hearing.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Ethics: That thing you may or may not care about when retired, or during the accident investigation and/or Congressional hearing.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Orvin posted:

The article that is the source of that graph is using a sample of 51 top ranked liberal arts colleges. I could see that greatly screwing the numbers.

How are they surveying geoscience professors from liberal arts colleges?

Maybe the term means something different than what I'm used to but to me an arts college is one that doesn't have a science faculty.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Memento posted:

Maybe the term means something different than what I'm used to but to me an arts college is one that doesn't have a science faculty.

Uh, no, liberal arts colleges definitely teach science subjects. "Liberal arts" college is not the same thing as "art college". Like, they don't just teach painting and sculpture.

As an anecdotal example, I got a computer science degree in addition to taking biology and oceanography classes at my super-hippy liberal arts college.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Memento posted:

A university can be rated as #4 for a degree in postmodernist dance therapy and training seeing ear dogs ASL, and still have an engineering program.

It doesn't help that the term College and University can mean different things in different areas.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Memento posted:

Liberal Arts colleges will have various science curriculums. At the University of Illinois, all the non engineering sciences and math were in the college of liberal arts. Due to chemical engineering evolving out of straight chemistry, the chemical engineering department is in liberal arts there. And since that is one of the few degrees they have that generates alumni with money, they hold on to that program with a death grip.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Uh, no, liberal arts colleges definitely teach science subjects. "Liberal arts" college is not the same thing as "art college". Like, they don't just teach painting and sculpture.

As an anecdotal example, I got a computer science degree in addition to taking biology and oceanography classes at my super-hippy liberal arts college.

tell me it was in asheville...went to WW for a year and it was an amazing school, but I did not fit in at all.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Gotcha, thanks. It's just different nomenclature to what I'm used to.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/RQQH8JI.gifv
I ain't putting my wiener anywhere near this thing.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
i always wanted to see him just huck a steak at the saw

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX9nGSpoi8E&t=138s

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I want to see him use his own finger. Sort of like Richard Davis, the guy who invented modern kevlar body armor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIhyETXW1u0

e: ^^^ exactly that.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Craptacular posted:

I want to see him use his own finger. Sort of like Richard Davis, the guy who invented modern kevlar body armor.

thats a standard part of his sales pitch for the device. ive seen the inventor guy put his finger into a saw blade a bunch

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Craptacular posted:

holy poo poo no.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

holy poo poo no.

That's still quite a shock I believe he shat himself.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

LifeSunDeath posted:

https://i.imgur.com/RQQH8JI.gifv

We have one of these in our workshop. Pro tip: If the wood you're trying to cut is too moist, it can accidentally trigger it. And it costs a few hundred bucks to replace it to make your table saw useable again. We had to get real strict with the table saw for a while there.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's still quite a shock I believe he shat himself.

quote:

Richards's most famous act has also drawn much controversy in recent times, of how the "trick" was done. This is because of the fact that a cannonball fired at full-force would kill a human being, and would likely have killed Richards. With this, skeptics[who?] have analyzed his act as being the result of a spring-loaded cannon, a hollow cannonball, and manipulation via "movie magic".

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
Watching videos of flight tests of a rigid rotor system by lockheed engineers in the 60's is pretty OSHA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g7xswpo5yY

Edit: How the gently caress do you post timestamp youtube links now?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

LifeSunDeath posted:

holy poo poo no.

https://i.imgur.com/PkDGmRR.mp4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

McDeth posted:

Watching videos of flight tests of a rigid rotor system by lockheed engineers in the 60's is pretty OSHA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g7xswpo5yY&t=58s

Add

code:
start="420h"
or whatever to the opening video tag.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

McDeth posted:

Right-click video, copy video URL at current time, paste into forums post.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Look, the best "it doesn't count as work if we do it this way" scenario are elevators that stop and open at every floor.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Who needs ankles anyway?

https://i.imgur.com/3tJtCN2.mp4

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Not sure about this Gulliver's Travels remake

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

How to U-turn a bus on a busy highway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RananKlDyoI

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Memento posted:

Edit: just found out that the eruv covering a large part of the Bagel Belt in Melbourne is partially made up of wire mounted on tram cables, so there's a disclaimer saying you can only walk on the inner footpath of those streets on the boundary.

Its a huge area of the south east bayside suburbs. ALso as noted by someone else, there is an inner hole around a park with a lake in it.

$60,000 a year to maintain for around 350 people who are ultra orthodox who use it. They have an app now.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

drunkill posted:

Its a huge area of the south east bayside suburbs. ALso as noted by someone else, there is an inner hole around a park with a lake in it.

$60,000 a year to maintain for around 350 people who are ultra orthodox who use it. They have an app now.

And how much do Christian churches get subsidized? Asking for a friend.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
uh

well you could add up how much tax they're not paying

i'm sure there are many other avenues as well

is your friend concerned that the jews are hoarding all the wealth or something?

apologies if i am misreading your point

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Pretty sure drunkill is the one saying it's a waste of money and iospace is saying that 60k is a drop in the bucket as far as religious grift goes. Though I don't think drunkill is going down the Jew gold route either.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

iospace posted:

It's the wiring and maintenance is paid for by The Council of Orthodox Synagogues.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

iospace posted:

quote:

The Council of Orthodox Synagogues is responsible for maintaining the eruv, and it is funded by a levy on synagogue members.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/cable-loop-lets-melbournes-orthodox-jews-feel-at-home-20111120-1npdn.html

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I thought iospace was making a joke at the expense of christians, not jews there?

like it says right there the eruv is funded by the community.

e: this article is by noted dingus matt yglesias but the numbers don't seem insane

Moist von Lipwig fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 18, 2019

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
yea sorry i'm still just waking up

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Splicer posted:

Pretty sure drunkill is the one saying it's a waste of money and iospace is saying that 60k is a drop in the bucket as far as religious grift goes. Though I don't think drunkill is going down the Jew gold route either.

It's this. Apologies for not being clearer here.

iospace fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 18, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thomamelas posted:

It's the wiring and maintenance is paid for by The Council of Orthodox Synagogues.

Ah, ok! Didn't know this, and I had originally read it as the city paid for and maintained it (or well, I wouldn't be surprised if they do, but are reimbursed for it as I've been informed).

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

iospace posted:

Ah, ok! Didn't know this, and I had originally read it as the city paid for and maintained it (or well, I wouldn't be surprised if they do, but are reimbursed for it as I've been informed).

Generally most eruvs will have private maintenance staff for this. They tend to find that their level of urgency isn't matched by local governments. It's possible that in some places like Israel, you might find the eruv is a local government function but in most places it's private.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thomamelas posted:

Generally most eruvs will have private maintenance staff for this. They tend to find that their level of urgency isn't matched by local governments. It's possible that in some places like Israel, you might find the eruv is a local government function but in most places it's private.

Israel makes sense, and things I didn't know before!