Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Impermanent posted:

Also, uh, if you've already bought D&D 5e you aren't exactly contributing materially to zak or mearls in any way shape or form by continuing to use it, unless you encourage other people to buy it. A boycott is designed to exert economic pressure by deliberately targeting the purchase of a given product. And you should by all means discourage the continued purchasing of D&D stuff. But as far as anything that's been bought already, that damage is done.

Oh, I know. I recognize that the damage is done, but there's still value in pulling my group away from a toxic product and towards games that don't have a gross history attached to them.

E: And yeah, I plan on emphasizing that we definitely shouldn't buy new D&D content as it gets released, because that's more active support for the product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Oh, I know. I recognize that the damage is done, but there's still value in pulling my group away from a toxic product and towards games that don't have a gross history attached to them.

That's fair. As for recommendations, I also suggest Spellbound Kingdoms, which is very similar in class structure to something like 5e but has an interesting combat system somewhere between theatre of the mind and grid fighting.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

At this point for my group we are still playing 5E, for now, but I make sure to keep them up to date on what's going on and I encourage them towards using free resources to carry on playing, as well as my own running, until I get off my rear end and learn 13th Age or Shadow of the Demon Lord.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Trojan Kaiju posted:

At this point for my group we are still playing 5E, for now, but I make sure to keep them up to date on what's going on and I encourage them towards using free resources to carry on playing, as well as my own running, until I get off my rear end and learn 13th Age or Shadow of the Demon Lord.

Both of those games have active threads I think, and are much less overhead-heavy than something like 5e (Shadow of the demon lord especially.) If you haven't learned to DM a non-D&D-like game before, you'll find that they are a LOT easier.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Impermanent posted:

Both of those games have active threads I think, and are much less overhead-heavy than something like 5e (Shadow of the demon lord especially.) If you haven't learned to DM a non-D&D-like game before, you'll find that they are a LOT easier.

That's good. To be honest it's mostly just a combination of laziness and getting distracted any time I open my Demon Lord core book by sifting through all the classes.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

One thing i remember firmly about the Next playtest was that it made all these promises about being able to do stuff ...that 13th Age already did.

Then 5e still came up short by comparison, but you need to explain what 13A is because it doesn't say "Dungeons & Dragons" on the cover.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mr. Humalong posted:

What game systems would you recommend looking at if I like 5e as a whole but don’t want to support someone who defends an abuser? Systems that use d20, 2d6, decent combat system, room for role playing, etc.

Asking this sincerely in case someone thinks I’m trying to be a dick.

Another good fantasy adventure RPG is Beyond the Wall and Other Adventures in the vein of YA fantasy stories like The Dark Is Rising sequence and The Chronicles of Prydain. I'm going to note that it is considered an OSR game that takes queues from PbtA. I'm not sure what relationship, if any, the creators have with Zak. They seem generally inactive and disconnected from the wider OSR circles online, but if someone knows either way, feel free to point it out.

If you want to stick close to D&D, there are some other OSR D&D retroclones that aren't made by lovely people, if you want more suggestions.

Fellowship is a Powered By the Apocalypse game that grew out of Dungeon World and became its own game with a tighter focus and better balance. The creator has a thread for his games here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3880156 where he's happy to answer any questions.

Mouse Guard and Burning Wheel are two other options. Burning Wheel's rules can be intimidating and difficult to process at first, but Mouse Guard does a good job of taking the same system and making them more approachable. Luke Crane is a bit eccentric/kind of a dick depending on who you ask, but the games are solid. He also has Torchbearer, which is meant to be a grittier retro throwback game, if you're interested in that.

If you're into scifi, Fragged Empire has an excellent tactical combat system. They did a fantasy hack of the rules, too, called Fragged Kingdom. I know originally the main Fragged Empire book was necessary to support the Fragged Kingdom rules, and I don't think they ever published a fully standalone version.

Spellbound Kingdoms is a fantasy swashbuckling adventure game with a lot of neat ideas. There are some places where the rules are a bit confusing, but it has a unique setting and a really fun combat system based around moving through a map of potential moves.

If there are other genres or specific things you want a game to focus on (heists, mystery solving, exploring interpersonal relationships, fighting robots, etc.) there are some other better alternatives to D&D that are focused on those things, too.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 18, 2019

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Comstar posted:

How would you change a RPG and/or D&D to make it better for streaming/watching?

Honestly, any game that supports a flow of play in the form of a conversation is going to be better for streaming on an audio basis.

PBtA games all revolve around that idea, and Cortex+ (Cortex Prime) games lend themselves well to this kind of play as well. Though a beer and pretzels system would be the Ninja Burger No Honor RPG.

Power Play from Level 99 Games does a good job fitting this niche, though it isn’t a traditional RPG.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It's oldish for an indy sort of story game, but I wonder how Heroquest 2 would work for Actual Plays.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Re: Zak and GenCon:

https://twitter.com/mforbeck/status/1097306061495767040

I don't think Forbeck would just say things, but...

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Impermanent posted:

Also, uh, if you've already bought D&D 5e you aren't exactly contributing materially to zak or mearls in any way shape or form by continuing to use it, unless you encourage other people to buy it. A boycott is designed to exert economic pressure by deliberately targeting the purchase of a given product. And you should by all means discourage the continued purchasing of D&D stuff. But as far as anything that's been bought already, that damage is done.
Do Mearls or Zak even get any money out of new PHB sales? I'd have thought Zak's "consultancy", if it involved money at all, was a one-off consultancy fee, and likewise I imagine Mearls is on an annual salary rather than being reimbursed through royalties.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Warthur posted:

Do Mearls or Zak even get any money out of new PHB sales? I'd have thought Zak's "consultancy", if it involved money at all, was a one-off consultancy fee, and likewise I imagine Mearls is on an annual salary rather than being reimbursed through royalties.

Probably not but there are forms of currency other than actual dollars

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Darwinism posted:

Probably not but there are forms of currency other than actual dollars

Explain how.

This is a The Simpsons joke

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

If I didn't know better, I'd say that sounds like Gencon is more concerned about people causing trouble on-site than on actually proactively helping guests feel safe.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Warthur posted:

I am friends on FB with another consultant - one of the good ones - and he said it was a one-time $500 payment to read some stuff and give feedback on an early version of the rules. There was no ongoing relationship of any kind, no writing, etc.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

A response to that tweet indicates that all consultant credits have been removed from the version of the 5E PHB on Beyond.

Removing all of the credits seems like a bit of a dodge to me.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Refusing to name anyone at all who's been banned is sure to do wonders for folks concerned for their safety from specific people, I'm sure.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Edit: Wrong thread!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

moths posted:

One thing i remember firmly about the Next playtest was that it made all these promises about being able to do stuff ...that 13th Age already did.

Then 5e still came up short by comparison, but you need to explain what 13A is because it doesn't say "Dungeons & Dragons" on the cover.

The thing I'll always remember is Mikan running the Next playtest with the 20+ rats encounter and demonstrating how stupid it was that the D&D team had thrown out the perfectly sensible swarm template to account for things like this rather than making GMs roll 40-some-odd d20s (because rats got Advantage for being near other rats, you see), and upon submitting this actually pertinent feedback to the team Mike Mearls' reaction was to forbid people from running playtest games online.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

Refusing to name anyone at all who's been banned is sure to do wonders for folks concerned for their safety from specific people, I'm sure.

Well, the alternative is bad PR for the people who were affiliated with the bad person, and let's be honest SA also practically runs off of the same see-no-evil bullshit.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

The :airquote: best :airquote: part about the whole "we need to court the most toxic elements of the hobby" thing was when Wizards (read: Mearls) chose Tarnowski over Monte after the vocal cords email kerfuffle, leading to Cook's resignation from the project.

Seriously, what kind of person do you have to be to read that unbelievably unprofessional email and come to the conclusion that "Yes, this is what our new edition of the flagship RPG needs; these are the people whose tastes we must cater to. Courting them is important to the future of our brand, more so than my continued professional relationship with an actual peer respected by the hobby at large." And I'm using the term peer loosely here, given that though Monte has his problems, he's still an infinitely better game designer than Mike Mearls.

The for realsies best part of this is that, before all this, Cook and Mearls weren't just friends, Cook was Mearls' former mentor who got him into the industry in the first place. It's a hilariously dramatic betrayal over goddamn D&D.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

Well, the alternative is bad PR for the people who were affiliated with the bad person, and let's be honest SA also practically runs off of the same see-no-evil bullshit.

I like your new avatar. It fits.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Arivia posted:

I like your new avatar. It fits.

:3: it's a cute duckie but I feel its message is doomed to failure re: replying to me.

What is up with yours though

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

:3: it's a cute duckie but I feel its message is doomed to failure re: replying to me.

What is up with yours though

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/xwbap7/amber-alert-that-located-11-year-olds-alleged-killer-sparks-numerous-complaints

The police up here set off the nuclear attack warning alarm on everyone’s phones just before midnight for an Amber Alert.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Arivia posted:

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/xwbap7/amber-alert-that-located-11-year-olds-alleged-killer-sparks-numerous-complaints

The police up here set off the nuclear attack warning alarm on everyone’s phones just before midnight for an Amber Alert.

A child died.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
You should absolutely be shamed for being upset about an Amber Alert, children don't get kidnapped on your loving personal schedule.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Pope Guilty posted:

You should absolutely be shamed for being upset about an Amber Alert, children don't get kidnapped on your loving personal schedule.

Arivia wrote the sentence like a dummy. Amber Alert and Nuclear Attack Warning Alarm are two different things. The police basically sent out a message around the intensity of "hold your children and pray to whatever god you believe in."

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Kwyndig posted:

A box of assorted cheeses is a better game designer than Mike Mearls

And yet strangely, they probably smell exactly the same.

Heyo!

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

theironjef posted:

Arivia wrote the sentence like a dummy. Amber Alert and Nuclear Attack Warning Alarm are two different things. The police basically sent out a message around the intensity of "hold your children and pray to whatever god you believe in."

I can't find anything that says that they put out a nuclear attack warning, every source I see just says "Amber Alert"

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Darwinism posted:

I can't find anything that says that they put out a nuclear attack warning, every source I see just says "Amber Alert"

If that's true then I've read some different and very wrong articles on the subject. I was willing to be on board with the "This was a mistake" side as long as cops activated the big alarm when the medium alarm was the one protocol called for. Whining about amber alerts being used properly is dumb.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Holy poo poo people called 911 to complain about an Amber alert.

the cyberpunk dystopia is so loving banal

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Well, it makes sense that Ariiva would respond to Bed. Not too dissimulator.

On the actual topic, or at least on the topic of alt. RPGs, I absolutely love 13th age. I keep looking at the Glorantha setting book and thinking about getting it. I noticed it has Duck people as a playable race. Duck People!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

theironjef posted:

If that's true then I've read some different and very wrong articles on the subject. I was willing to be on board with the "This was a mistake" side as long as cops activated the big alarm when the medium alarm was the one protocol called for. Whining about amber alerts being used properly is dumb.

The confusing thing that the articles don’t bring up is that when the emergency alert system was introduced in Canada last year our FCC equivalent only included the “nuclear warning hug your children” level. In the US there are like three intensities and you can also turn them off. Up here all of them are mandated to go off at all times, with the highest intensity alarm. Then the police got access for Amber Alerts and stuff, and again it’s always at maximum volume and intensity. They can’t send out text message alerts or whatever, it’s always nuclear alert level. And for an Amber Alert north of Buffalo, they sent the alert out to Manitoba, north of like North Dakota.

The Amber Alert itself was totally justified. The emergency alert system is a loving mess.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

theironjef posted:

I mean, I can understand someone being like, "Dang it, I was just about to fall asleep and then that Amber Alert woke me up", in the same way if like, "Dang it, the fire alarm went off and I had to leave the apartment", i.e. someone is bemoaning an unfortunate event that happened to them, not disagreeing with its purpose. The last one happened to me the other day and you'll bet I whined, but I'm not trying to get the fire alarms in my building turned off ; I just wish I'd gotten to sleep in like I planned.

It's the distinction between "I would have preferred if this situation hadn't happened" vs. "I don't think [Thing] should exist".

No idea which side Arivia is coming down on and I don't really give a poo poo, but I can at least understand someone complaining about a thing (while acknowledging that it was better than the alternative and bad things happen sometimes).

None of this is relevant to table top gaming but I like nuance, sorry.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

remusclaw posted:

It's oldish for an indy sort of story game, but I wonder how Heroquest 2 would work for Actual Plays.

I think this is a great idea.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Foolster41 posted:

Well, it makes sense that Ariiva would respond to Bed. Not too dissimulator.

On the actual topic, or at least on the topic of alt. RPGs, I absolutely love 13th age. I keep looking at the Glorantha setting book and thinking about getting it. I noticed it has Duck people as a playable race. Duck People!

The Ducks are cool and good and fight undead, as is right.

e- Glorantha also has sentient baboons, humanoid parrots, and carnivorous tapirmen that farm unintelligent herd humans.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 18, 2019

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Nuns with Guns posted:

The Ducks are cool and good and fight undead, as is right.

e- Glorantha also has sentient baboons, humanoid parrots, and carnivorous tapirmen that farm unintelligent herd humans.

Yeah, I almost bought the game then and there when I saw the duck people, but right now it's a bit much to spend on a game I don't have any definite plans to play. Maybe if I can drum up interest. I've been trying to get a RPG group together.

It looks like the setting book also has some rule tweeks from the core book as well (I don't remember what it was exactly, I think grappling rules is slightly different?), another reason I'm interested in it.

The 13th age book doesn't have those other races, but they sound neat. I love unusual playable races.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Foolster41 posted:

Yeah, I almost bought the game then and there when I saw the duck people, but right now it's a bit much to spend on a game I don't have any definite plans to play. Maybe if I can drum up interest. I've been trying to get a RPG group together.

It looks like the setting book also has some rule tweeks from the core book as well (I don't remember what it was exactly, I think grappling rules is slightly different?), another reason I'm interested in it.

The 13th age book doesn't have those other races, but they sound neat. I love unusual playable races.

I wouldn't be surprised if more supplements were on the table for 13th Age Glorantha, but lord knows when they'd come out, if ever. On the plus side, it's super easy to make custom races for 13th Age, and there's decades of resources on every corner of Glorantha, plus a massive two-volume encyclopedia.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Impermanent posted:

By continuing to play 5e, even though you're not giving any more money to Zak or Mearls, you're still contributing to spreading a game that Mearls headlined. The boycott can and should be extended to playing 5e at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'm going to try and convince my friends to play dungeon world, and also pray that Mearls gets loving fired.