Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

The fact that the sanctions are in fact loving poo poo up is beside the point I guess

Judakel said kids are starving because of sanctions. I am saying they are starving for nothing. What part of that makes you think I don't think the sanctions are starving Venezuelans?

Even in the hypothetical that the US somehow had the authority to starve Venezuelans to overthrow their government - an authority the US cannot possibly have - it would be counterproductive. Sanctions starve people from the bottom up. It's just pointlessly punishing Venezuelans for the crime of being under Maduro's governance.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
There is nothing pointless about the US punishing Venezuelans for the crime of being under Maduro's governance. It is exactly the point.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

fishmech posted:

So you want the US to be massively economically involved in Venezuela?

I want the US government to not use economic coercion to make the people/government of Venezuela do the thing that our government wants them to do. In some cases, sanctions can be worse than bombs. While there are VERY occasionally reasons why the US should use its economic or even military power to affect change (like imminent/ongoing war crimes against a vulnerable population i.e. rwanda), this is most definitely not a time that needs our "help." If the people of Venezuela are truly as desperate to remove Maduro as many in this thread say, sanctions aren't needed to remove him from power. Venezuelans will manage it themselves.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Concerned Citizen posted:

I want the US government to not use economic coercion to make the people/government of Venezuela do the thing that our government wants them to do. In some cases, sanctions can be worse than bombs. While there are VERY occasionally reasons why the US should use its economic or even military power to affect change (like imminent/ongoing war crimes against a vulnerable population i.e. rwanda), this is most definitely not a time that needs our "help." If the people of Venezuela are truly as desperate to remove Maduro as many in this thread say, sanctions aren't needed to remove him from power. Venezuelans will manage it themselves.

So is the US obligated to continue receiving 42% of Venezuela's exports and providing 38% of Venezuela's imports? Many people would say that merely being that high is already implicit economic coercion.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

fishmech posted:

So is the US obligated to continue receiving 42% of Venezuela's exports and providing 38% of Venezuela's imports? Many people would say that merely being that high is already implicit economic coercion.

what are the consequences of cutting off that trade? use your head for once, dude, not just whatever you find on wikipedia

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

It is bad that Venezuelans are starving.

We will increase the starvation to show them the light.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Obviously there's a humanitarian crisis, because the sanctions are gonna destroy their ability to import food and medicine. That's also why you should never politicize relief aid.

To remind everyone, again, the humanitarian crisis in Venezuela predates general US sanctions and is the direct outgrowth of Maduro regime economic abuses.

You know this, and are, as ever, being disingenuous.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cease to Hope posted:

what are the consequences of cutting off that trade? use your head for once, dude, not just whatever you find on wikipedia

You're the one who claims they don't want "economic coercion". Surely you can see how hypothetical removal of import/export would count.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

fishmech posted:

You're the one who claims they don't want "economic coercion". Surely you can see how hypothetical removal of import/export would count.

pretty sure I am not forums user Concerned Citizen, we don't even have the same avatar

Discendo Vox posted:

To remind everyone, again, the humanitarian crisis in Venezuela predates general US sanctions and is the direct outgrowth of Maduro regime economic abuses.

they do, but

brugroffil posted:

It is bad that Venezuelans are starving.

We will increase the starvation to show them the light.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Pener kropotkin was responding to

zapplez posted:

Do you agree or disagree with Maduro when he says "there is no humanitarian crisis"

As ever, attempting to make the conversation about Venezuela a conversation about the United States.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Discendo Vox posted:

US sanctions made it 20 times worse.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Concerned Citizen posted:

Venezuelans will manage it themselves.

But that's the core problem, the PSUV elite have become so insulated from both political and economic consequences of their actions that the Venezuelan opposition can't manage it themselves. Not to say that these particular sanctions are justified, and I can understand why you and others would desire that the US and other countries remain entirely neutral. But with that in mind, you really have to think about what the opposition, or any opposition, could do given the measures the PSUV has undertaken to ensure de facto one party rule.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Acebuckeye13 posted:

But that's the core problem, the PSUV elite have become so insulated from both political and economic consequences of their actions that the Venezuelan opposition can't manage it themselves. Not to say that these particular sanctions are justified, and I can understand why you and others would desire that the US and other countries remain entirely neutral. But with that in mind, you really have to think about what the opposition, or any opposition, could do given the measures the PSUV has undertaken to ensure de facto one party rule.

It's an accelerated version of election fixing in individual US states, given whole years of absolute success to the extent that nothing is required but the barest pretenses of democratic legitimacy. You just say you hold elections and everything's perfectly legitimate and you're all just being sore losers.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Judakel posted:

More importantly it removes any ability for the Maduro regime to get out of the crisis and financial institutions in general use austerity measures to ‘fix’ economic crisis.

To pretend that a US-backed coup is interested and capable of fixing problems rooted in colonialism requires a complete suspension of history.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Presenting Nipples posted:

More importantly it removes any ability for the
To pretend that a US-backed coup is interested and capable of fixing problems rooted in colonialism requires a complete suspension of history.

But this crisis isn't rooted in colonialism, it's rooted in corruption and bad economic policy. The hyperinflation, the shortages, the over-reliance on oil revenues, the political crisis, all of it is because of the policies and conduct of the Chavez and Maduro governments.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Judakel posted:

That sure is a number you pulled out of nowhere. So if people were losing 20 lbs a year because of general government corruption,incompetence,rapid inflation and economic collpase ; now with sanctions they will lose 400 lbs a year.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

But this crisis isn't rooted in colonialism, it's rooted in corruption and bad economic policy. The hyperinflation, the shortages, the over-reliance on oil revenues, the political crisis, all of it is because of the policies and conduct of the Chavez and Maduro governments.

Switch "Chavez and Maduro" for "Allende" and "oil revenues" for "copper exports" and you have the average shitlib's take back in the day.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Bloomberg has a nice straight forward timeline of Chavez and Maduro's presidency, trading changes in per capita income and oil prices. Is there anything in this people would like to take issue with?

The Rise and Fall of Chavismo

Blue Nation posted:

I just spent this week dealing with my brother's death and then being extorted by the CICPC because they were framing me of murder.
gently caress this goverment.

This was from a bit back but I just wanted to say my condolences. There no good time to deal with something like that the present circumstances aren't going to make it any easier.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Squalid posted:

This was from a bit back but I just wanted to say my condolences. There no good time to deal with something like that the present circumstances aren't going to make it any easier.

Seriously, that's just awful. Stay safe, Blue Nation.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Carlos Danger posted:

Switch "Chavez and Maduro" for "Allende" and "oil revenues" for "copper exports" and you have the average shitlib's take back in the day.

We do have exact knowledge of how the oilfields were underfunded and output was shrinking, as well as the fact they really were overreliant on oil revenue. This is not a 'shitlib take'.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Acebuckeye13 posted:

What does "bad economic policy" mean? You must know that is the phrase every US government spokesman has used when talking about Venezuela. Despite hearing over and over again, I have never actually seen it defined in this context.

I think it means, "placed restrictions on US Capital." What do you think it means?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

What does "bad economic policy" mean? You must know that is the phrase every US government spokesman has used when talking about Venezuela. Despite hearing over and over again, I have never actually seen it defined in this context.

Usually, it means "dared to be something but a low income resource extraction state with a comprador elite allied with western interests"

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

I think it means, "placed restrictions on US Capital." What do you think it means?

He pressed the big red button that said "do food shortages"

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bad economic policy such as using oil income that would be used to build new wells to compensate for old ones drying up to instead fund social programs.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
unsurprisingly, that bloomberg timeline treats the US's anti-chavez, anti-maduro POV as basically fact, but it seems to be useful for an overview of what happens when.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Chomskyan posted:

Every country's leader gets a big dial that says 'food shortages and crisis' on one end and 'economic boom' on the other and honestly it's real hosed up that he refuses to move the dial off the bad side.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pharohman777 posted:

Bad economic policy such as using oil income that would be used to build new wells to compensate for old ones drying up to instead fund social programs.

For being fans of welfare programs in America, liberals sure do hate it when countries like venezuela try to provide some measure of security and comfort for their own people.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Chomskyan posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.133535d31f7e

quote:

The price controls have become a powerful disincentive in rural Venezuela. “There are no profits, so we produce at a loss,” said one dairy farmer in the state of Guarico, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he feared retaliation from authorities. To get a new tractor, he said, he would have to spend all the money he earns in a year. “It’s a miracle that the industry is still alive,” he said.

Four of his cows were stolen this month, probably by hungry families in the nearby village, he said.

quote:

Escobar, the chicken and hog farmer, said the only way for farmers to remain in business today is to break the law and sell at market prices, hoping authorities look the other way.

“If I sold at regulated prices, I wouldn’t even be able to afford a single kilogram of chicken feed,” he said.

edit:

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

For being fans of welfare programs in America, liberals sure do hate it when countries like venezuela try to provide some measure of security and comfort for their own people.

You do realize that oil wells are not infinite? That new ones must be built and maintained to keep oil production steady?

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 18, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

I've referred to this article a few times, but it's a good example of how Chavez operated. While the goal of funding social programs with oil revenues was absolutely laudable and a Good Idea, Chavez treated the oil industry as a never-ending tap of funds and ultimately cannibalized the PDVSA.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I've referred to this article a few times, but it's a good example of how Chavez operated. While the goal of funding social programs with oil revenues was absolutely laudable and a Good Idea, Chavez treated the oil industry as a never-ending tap of funds and ultimately cannibalized the PDVSA.

that article is so incredibly loaded with emotional language that it's hard to take seriously

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cease to Hope posted:

that article is so incredibly loaded with emotional language that it's hard to take seriously
Ok, have this one written by an oil industry expert.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier/2017/05/07/how-venezuela-ruined-its-oil-industry/#1e5f48857399

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Forbes sites are the equivalent of livejournals for "very serious commentators"

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The expropriations were also a major problem. If you're going to nationalize a business, sure, whatever. But a huge number of expropriated businesses straight-up stopped functioning, putting their workers out of a job, their products off the shelves, and dissuaded foreign companies from investing in the country. This ultimately made the country more dependent on oil revenues, which has made crashes in oil prices since all the more damaging.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Like, I am in absolute agreement with Truga here: the Venezuelan government would have been better served straight-up transitioning to a command economy over what they did.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

patonthebach posted:

That sure is a number you pulled out of nowhere. So if people were losing 20 lbs a year because of general government corruption,incompetence,rapid inflation and economic collpase ; now with sanctions they will lose 400 lbs a year.

Imagine if you had anything worthwhile to say. Ever.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Judakel posted:

"Actually, technically some of the time one is statistically likely to have something worthwhi..."

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Judakel posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=60050

Holy gently caress. Have you ever gone without being banned or probed in a week period? If anyone needs to shut the gently caress up its you.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The truly sad thing is that if we address global warming like we need to, Venezuela is going to be completely hosed economically anyway.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Forbes sites are the equivalent of livejournals for "very serious commentators"

Well that makes it perfect for serious commentary on just how hosed up Venezuelas oilfields are and how it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

brugroffil posted:

The truly sad thing is that if we address global warming like we need to, Venezuela is going to be completely hosed economically anyway.

According to Venegoons, there's potential for the Venezuelan economy to reorient itself toward other fields, but it's crippled by its singular extractive focus from the Chavez/Maduro policy period. Any transition would probably need to lean heavily on oil proceeds in the near term.