Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I’ve reached the Moonbase in my rewatch. It’s so good. Among the best Cybermen stories, a small category I know. The animated replacement episodes do the job very well, I’m going to skip Macra Terror until the official animated version comes out.

I was going to avoid reconstructions but I’ll put up with the cheesy poser model fan animations for more Jamie episodes, he’s the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/ianzpotter/status/1096578871133130752

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, I love The Moonbase. Really it seems like the only really good Cybermen stories were in Patrick Troughton's run (The Invasion is superb), and of course their original appearance in the last ever Hartnell story.

Well, those and this I guess:

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Good colour cybermen stories, imo: "Earthshock", "Rise of the Cybermen"/"Age of Steel", "Army of Ghosts"/"Doomsday", "Dark Water"/"Death in Heaven", and "World Enough and Time"/"The Doctor Falls".

Not a bad run. Even out of the less good ones, only really "Revenge of the Cybermen" and "Silver Nemesis" are bad. The rest just don't really do anything with the cybermen. (The only one I haven't seen is "Attack of the Cybermen".)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Earthshock is really only notable (for me) for the surprise of their appearance, they're still the weird emotional 80s Cybermen which wasn't the best time for them. Rise of the Cybermen, Dark Water and World Enough and Time are both really good setups for stories that don't actually end up happening (I suppose you could argue in favor of Dark Water/Death in Heaven but the latter is far more a Master story for me). Army of Ghosts is great because it uses the Cybermen as a distraction from the real villain, and I still get goosebumps at the reveal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwN6vNBttws

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I've only ever heard of this, but it's Doctor Who as gently caress. Literally:

quote:

Adam Adamant Lives! has been called by modern observers "what Doctor Who did next",[3] because at least three Doctor Who alumni had key positions on the pilot. Most obviously, it reunited producer Verity Lambert with Head of Television Drama Sydney Newman. Together they had been at the core of decision-makers who launched Doctor Who. But the series also brought Donald Cotton, who had the same year written two serials for Doctor Who, back into Newman's orbit. Cotton and partner Richard Harris would write the first script, "A Vintage Year for Scoundrels", and would thus come to be credited as co-creators

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOm5dlgQaVk
The 1902 scenes are so earnest it comes across as almost an Austin Powers style parody, very camp and on the nose (though the scenes of him being overwhelmed by the future are among the most effective and believable I've ever seen in the genre). Watching a bit of later episodes the hero has that sort of Barnabas Collins "gentleman in the future swagger" and it's also very shades of Jago and Litefoot Series 5. In an alternate timeline, it would have been interesting for it to have run for 10 years and had a modern deconstructing of it--especially when you consider The Prisoner was already deconstructing the swashbuckingly swinging spy archetype at the same time (his voice and cadence sounds a lot like MacGoohan too). Would be interesting to see what BF could make of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOm5dlgQaVk&t=1140s
"Who is your Grandfather, Child?"--yep, Doctor Who as gently caress. :getin:

"Sam Jones"

Also yeah Tennant could nail this, even in live action...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Spare Parts is the best Cyberman story of course

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Flight Bisque posted:

And in the new series, for shits and giggles:
Tennant: 59 episodes
Smith: 57 episodes
Capaldi: 46 episodes
Jenna Coleman: 41 episodes
Nicholas Briggs: 40 episodes
Billie Piper 40 episodes
Karen Gillan: 38 episodes
Paul Kasey: 35 episodes
Arthur Darvill: 27 episodes
Freema Agyeman : 25 episodes
Ruari Mears: 22 episodes

Haha. Nick Briggs is going to have been in more episodes than any companion in like a season and a half.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Roy Skelton's 50 would be the real big one for Briggs to overtake.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 17, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Uuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh ... this is a thing ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SIL-Devil-...&language=en_GB

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Devil Seeds Of Arodor posted:

An original drama from the world of BBCtv s DOCTOR WHO, featuring SIL, the ruthless alien entrepreneur from planet Thoros Beta, played by NABIL SHABAN.

SIL is worried, very worried, which doesn t keep his reptilian skin in the best condition! Confined in a cold detention cell on the moon, awaiting a deportation hearing for trial on drugs offences on Earth, he faces a death sentence if the application is successful and he is found guilty. And his employers at the Universal Monetary Fund aren t pleased either. Not at all.

As time runs out and friends desert him, SIL must use all of his devious, vile, underhanded, ruthless, and amoral business acumen to survive. Can he possibly slime his way out of this one?

I think Philip Martin vastly overestimates how much anyone wants to see Sil survive, or let alone see Sil in the first place.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/WhovianFeminism/status/1097252270637379585

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I guess reeltime never died

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

They're also doing one called "Anomaly" starring "Gordy Lethbridge-Stewart", the grandson of the Brig. There's a big banner on the front that reads "Kate Stewart is Dead!"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Davros1 posted:

They're also doing one called "Anomaly" starring "Gordy Lethbridge-Stewart", the grandson of the Brig. There's a big banner on the front that reads "Kate Stewart is Dead!"

Wow, yikes!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok when you guys get going about various who-related people and who-related projects of varrying degrees of obscurity I often tune out... but this one is weird enough to get my attention - can someone fill in a few of the details of who these people are and what they're doing?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's sobering to imagine old school grognard fans who hated Kate Stewart enough to kill her in their filmed fan-fiction and replace her with a man.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Ok when you guys get going about various who-related people and who-related projects of varrying degrees of obscurity I often tune out... but this one is weird enough to get my attention - can someone fill in a few of the details of who these people are and what they're doing?

Reeltime Pictures made DTV "movies". Since they couldn't get the Who license, they'd instead license characters or monsters from the creators, then cast actors who'd been in Who to star. Sometimes as the characters they'd played (Liz Shaw, Victoria Waterfield, and The Brig), or sometimes as new people. And sometimes as "not" their characters (Colin and Nicola as "The Stranger and Miss Brown).

They were made for about 10 pounds and not very good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anomaly-Region-0-Multi-Region-DVD/dp/B079J85631/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1550505720&sr=1-1&keywords=anomaly

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

CommonShore posted:

They’re fan groups who take advantage of monsters and concepts which weren’t created by the BBC (eg the Yeti, Great Intelligence, Lethbridge-Stewart which are owned by Haisman and Lincoln who wrote the Troughton Yeti stories) and create their own stories which skirt the BBC copyright.

They were more proliferous in the 90s when the BBC had abandoned Doctor Who, but now we have officially made Doctor Who as an ongoing series, they’re a little less relevant.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Oh, come on now! Be fair!

They were never relevant.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ah I see so this is like that guy from Elizabethan/Jacobean theatre who would just lift his plots and characters from other plays and books, repackage them, and stage them as all original works. What was his name again?

Oh yeah William Shakespeare :smugdog:

Anyway that's weird as gently caress. They must have been profitable while the proper series was off the air but I can't imagine that they could be now. I suppose "film" is cheaper now than it was then, though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This is kind of sad because Nabil Shaban is cool.bit Philp Martin is a very bad writer, so this is going to be bad even for "weird fan project for the discount bin" level.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

After The War posted:

Oh, come on now! Be fair!

They were never relevant.

They did invent Brigadier Kate, making this even stranger

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Ah I see so this is like that guy from Elizabethan/Jacobean theatre who would just lift his plots and characters from other plays and books, repackage them, and stage them as all original works. What was his name again?

Oh yeah William Shakespeare :smugdog:

Anyway that's weird as gently caress. They must have been profitable while the proper series was off the air but I can't imagine that they could be now. I suppose "film" is cheaper now than it was then, though.

Pre-BF, they had a line of audios starring Syl and Sophie playing "The Professor and Ace". The BBC came down on them, so they ended up changing it to "The Dominie and Alice".

And they had covers like this:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think my favourite thing about this thread is how eager people get to answer my questions and share their obscure knowledge of this show and its related properties.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's weird how people will get horny for characters in a way that lasts forever, and that Philip Martin is always horny for people being transformed into monsters, and people keep giving him the opportunity to write about it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

big finish should do a crossover where the seventh doctor meets the dominie

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

corn in the bible posted:

They did invent Brigadier Kate, making this even stranger

What I really want to know is if they can license Brigadier Bambera. It’s a tragedy she’s not been featured in the revival. Well, perhaps tragedy’s too strong a term but it’s still a... now, what’s the word..?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

It's weird how people will get horny for characters in a way that lasts forever

And that's to say nothing of all the Virgin Books/BBC Books tie-in novels written, where the author a character really really wanted to shag Ace.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Robert J. Omb posted:

What I really want to know is if they can license Brigadier Bambera. It’s a tragedy she’s not been featured in the revival. Well, perhaps tragedy’s too strong a term but it’s still a... now, what’s the word..?

I'm surprised she's only been in 1 BF, and that was a adaptation of TV story that never got made.

Also, this:

https://twitter.com/cutawayuniverse/status/1097102127632171008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

And that's to say nothing of all the Virgin Books/BBC Books tie-in novels written, where the author a character really really wanted to shag Ace.

I think the creepiest had to be Andrew Cartmel. Not only was it utterly gratuitous, I couldn't help to think "You worked with the actress for years!"

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 18, 2019

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I don’t know what you are talking about.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

marktheando posted:

I don’t know what you are talking about.

And the BF cover. What's missing?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Davros1 posted:

I think the creepiest had to be Andrew Cartmel. Not only was it utterly gratuitous, I couldn't help to think "You worked with the actress for years!"

I vaguely recall at least one interview with Cartmel from around that time, where he basically couldn't help gushing over how attractive Sophie Aldred was. Which she is, but there's a slight difference between "she's an attractive lady" and "cor, I wouldn't mind giving her one", the latter of which most of the people who wrote books featuring Ace tended to default to.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Robert J. Omb posted:

Disappointment.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

So I just discovered that two Big Finish writers, Matthew J Elliot and Ian Potter, also perform commentary for Rifftrax.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Robert J. Omb posted:

I'll write her into my story about Daleks

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I'll write her into my story about Daleks

Nick Briggs: :frogon:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Davros1 posted:

So I just discovered that two Big Finish writers, Matthew J Elliot and Ian Potter, also perform commentary for Rifftrax.

You wouldn't know it from Elliot's scripts.

(They're terrible in exactly the way you'd think a Rifftrax writer would absolutely avoid. Just really really bad.)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Besides, Ace was clearly a lesbian, so I don't know why people kept having her gently caress male characters. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The bizarre forced romance between her and that Soviet soldier was nothing in comparison to the obvious, natural chemistry between her and Mel in Dragonfire.

Dragonfire rules, man. Ace and Mel should have had multiple serials as part of the same team, they were a fun duo.