Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Sins of the Father has some great scenery chewing by Picard when he realizes just how corrupt the Klingon Empire is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Sighence posted:

My wife got introduced to star trek by Disco season 1

What the gently caress is wrong with you.

Sighence posted:

we're now watching Voyager.

What the gently caress is wrong with you.

Sighence posted:

To answer the obvious question, I want her to see the best after having seen the worst, and pound for pound, it's pretty close but I think that's DS9.

This is a completely rear end backwards way of getting someone to enjoy Star Trek. That's like introducing someone to Star Wars through the Phantom Menace and then moving onto the Holiday Special.

You're trolling us, right?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm pretty sure the Holiday Special is something well beyond Voyager in terribleness.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm pretty sure the Holiday Special is something well beyond Voyager in terribleness.
Oh yes easily. Part of that is just the time it came out, since the 1970s were weird enough anyway

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

RE: sins od the father, you'd be killing two birds with one stone by introducing her to Gowron

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 15, 2019

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Zesty posted:

This is a completely rear end backwards way of getting someone to enjoy Star Trek. That's like introducing someone to Star Wars through the Phantom Menace and then moving onto the Holiday Special.
Star Trek is not to enjoy. Sometimes it accidentally does something that you CAN enjoy, but Trek is not for joy. Trek is to Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Whalley posted:

Star Trek is not to enjoy. Sometimes it accidentally does something that you CAN enjoy, but Trek is not for joy. Trek is to Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

Experience Bij!

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

ashpanash posted:

Experience Bij!
The real reason Klingon culture is the way it is, is because they invented irony way earlier than any other peoples, and now Just Fuckin' Hating Everything About This is the cultural norm.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Whalley posted:

The real reason Klingon culture is the way it is, is because they invented irony way earlier than any other peoples, and now Just Fuckin' Hating Everything About This is the cultural norm.

Lol I guess it's a good day to die 😂

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

Lol I guess it's a good day to die 😂

lol watch me eat these live worms guys lol XD

i got such a good gagh reflex

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Building my own Romulan ship to trigger the Romulans

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

In awe at the size of Chancellor K'mpec. Honourable unit.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Worf was a way better DS9 character than TNG character. But if you have to show her anything, I'd say Sins if the Father, The Enemy, or that one where the blue thing breaks his spine.
I forgot that Worf was sort of featured in the TOS era as well (Dorn as Worf's grandfather in TUC). That's a great Trek resume right there.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Holy poo poo, Satan’s Robot might be the best character in all of Voyager.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Presumably Far Beyond the Stars could be a holodeck episode but I think it's more poignant for it to be a privately experienced vision for Sisko, rather than a shared adventure/art object like a typical holodeck story. Sisko makes it clear a number of times throughout the series that his blackness is fundamental to who he is and how he sees the universe around him. It would be less moving if like, Quark was also randomly there in the holodeck learning earth's pulp sf history.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
Intruders!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The way I see the episode, Avery Brooks the person is a fundamental part of Far Beyond the Stars. Brooks being a black man who grew up in a similar era to go on to depict a black captain in the 24th century experiencing something that puts him back to that era cannot be separated from the themes and construction of the episode without lessening it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Phylodox posted:

Holy poo poo, Satan’s Robot might be the best character in all of Voyager.

Bride of Chaotica is the best Voyager episode, bar none

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Not controversial opinion: Voyager should have been purely Bride of Chaotica camp

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
that episode is OK, but the best episode is Threshold, followed by the one where there are con artists pretending to be the voyager crew

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The other best episode is the one with museum War Crimes Voyager.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kibayasu posted:

The other best episode is the one with museum War Crimes Voyager.

Actually a p good episode

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pick posted:

So was the con artist episode. Not great, but a solid episode.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pick posted:

Well it is a Doctor episode.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The single best moment in all of Voyager is when the crew says someone is going to have to play Queen Arachnia and Janeway smugly looks over at Seven and says “Gee, I wonder who’s going to have to do that!” only to realize everyone is staring at her.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have been a fan of Star Trek the Next Generation since I was a child and the show was still brand new. Last week I introduced my wife to the show and we are watching it on Amazon Prime, and she is really enjoying the show! We are just on Season 1 right now and there is a lot to get through, but I hope eventually we can watch Deep Space 9 and then Voyager.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Zesty posted:

You're trolling us, right?

I'm not but I hoped for this reaction so thanks. The main thing to understand is that I'm not actively trying to get her to like Star Trek like your average nerd would. To your analogy, it's inadvertently introducing someone who hates lack of character growth or narrative development to Attack of the Clones, then Clockwork Oranging their eyes open to the Holiday Special, then showing them Return of the Jedi. I'm very definitely trolling her by monkey pawing her wish for those concepts, andI'm skipping TNG, the A New Hope of Star Trek, because outside Data and Wesley (and even I'm not enough of a monster to expose her to him) there's less of those elements than even Voyager in an otherwise landmark show.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The episode where Torres crash lands on a planet in the Renaissance, and a playwright finds her and translates her stories of Voyager into a play is pretty good too...Muse, not to be confused with the DS9 episode.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Sighence posted:

I'm not [trolling] but I hoped for this reaction so thanks.

:jerkbag:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Epicurius posted:

The episode where Torres crash lands on a planet in the Renaissance, and a playwright finds her and translates her stories of Voyager into a play is pretty good too...Muse, not to be confused with the DS9 episode.

And not to be confused with the TNG episode where Data crash lands on a planet in the Renaissance. And also broke the prime directive by giving them modern physics.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sighence posted:

I'm not but I hoped for this reaction so thanks. The main thing to understand is that I'm not actively trying to get her to like Star Trek like your average nerd would. To your analogy, it's inadvertently introducing someone who hates lack of character growth or narrative development to Attack of the Clones, then Clockwork Oranging their eyes open to the Holiday Special, then showing them Return of the Jedi. I'm very definitely trolling her by monkey pawing her wish for those concepts, andI'm skipping TNG, the A New Hope of Star Trek, because outside Data and Wesley (and even I'm not enough of a monster to expose her to him) there's less of those elements than even Voyager in an otherwise landmark show.
Couldn't you just get a divorce instead?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

galagazombie posted:

And not to be confused with the TNG episode where Data crash lands on a planet in the Renaissance. And also broke the prime directive by giving them modern physics.

Meanwhile, Wesley forgot his deodorant.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

"Lifesigns" (VOY S02E19) was a good episode, and for it the Vidiians were the best S1/S2 Delta Quadrant aliens. Tom Paris was more interesting when he had behavioral problems because that was the main thing distinguishing him from the rest of the cast beyond his loathsome arrogance while delivering life advice.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
jfc if someone wasted my time with bad stuff just so I’d appreciate the “good parts” I would dump their rear end

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Finally finished TNG; according to Netflix, I first watched Encounter at Farpoint in August 2016, and I watched the series in chunks of a dozen episode at a time every few weeks over the past 2.5 years. It's crazy how much better All Good Things is than any of the TNG movies.

I think it's time to start DS9 again.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Xibanya posted:

jfc if someone wasted my time with bad stuff just so I’d appreciate the “good parts” I would dump their rear end

On the other had I think a lot of the rabid hate on Voyager is a bit exxaggerated. Mostly it's guilty of being paint by numbers generic "Star Trek" that is derivative of previous iterations. As Gateway Star Trek it's not bad. Watching it first could heighten the appreciation of TNG and DS9 later.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I've said it before but the problem with Voyager isn't the really terrible episodes but the fact that like 2/3 or more of every season has a lot of throwaway episodes that don't really do anything since there is no character development for anyone on this show other than The Doctor and maybe Seven.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
They really, really needed to make characters like Harry and Chakotay more interesting. When Voyager had genuinely good characters, like the Doctor or 7 of 9 (and in my opinion Paris) it was pretty solid.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

FuturePastNow posted:

I bet you hate Frame of Mind too

Nope, because I wasn't as aware of "missing out" with TNG since I was only 8 when Frame of Mind was on.

When it's on once a week and you're excited to see what's next in the story then you get Far Beyond the Stars you're disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Taear posted:

Nope, because I wasn't as aware of "missing out" with TNG since I was only 8 when Frame of Mind was on.

When it's on once a week and you're excited to see what's next in the story then you get Far Beyond the Stars you're disappointed.

Get over it. It's all fake. Plot only matters to deliver ideas, and FBTS has a lot more to say than basically any other S6 episode besides, like, Waltz.